Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2012-05-11, 17:02
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Its not really true, imo, - its just you only remember the good stuff :P
(Ditto with games). History tends to filter the crap.

Sometimes newer versions of old stuff can be better too - I far preferred the Pierce-Brosen led Thomas Crown Affair compared to the old version.

I also actually think films have got a little more complex; Premiere, Triangle being at the more extreme side recently. But even mainstream stuff like Inception are quite beyond stuff from even a few decades back.
It might be because audience's have got used to the basics of storytelling in film now, and are thus more demanding.

Even superhero films I think have improved - Nolens Batman vs the first two movies being obvious. (the less said about 'Forever' the better)
But even Marvels work I thinks been a distinct improvement over last century - where films based on comics were so awful as to be forgotten almost straight away. (See: the first attempts at "Fantastic Four" or "Captain America"....not that the new ones of those were any good, but Id certainly rank the Iron Man films as way beyond their equivalents a few decades back - and not due to special effects)

The only universal problem I see is length - nothing wrong with films of any length as such, but it is wrong when that extra length goes purely to action scenes.
I actually really enjoyed the avengers - mostly due to the dialogue between characters - but it would have been vastly if they made it half hour shorter by cutting all the fight-scenes in half.
Old 2012-05-11, 18:46
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
History tends to filter the crap.
That is true, but not all there is to it.

I think older movies have something most recent movies don't have, and perhaps, never will. It is innocence.

I am not saying ofcourse that all modern movies are crap because they lack that. Inception, Shutter Island, Triangle, District 9, Source Code, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, etc. to name a few exceptions in modern cinema that were superb. But they are intellectually superb, or even entertaining-wise satisfactory due to it's highly-engineered plots. But they won't fulfill the charisma obtained in the old movies. It is gone.

</moaning>

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2012-05-11, 19:32
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I disagree..ish. I think that factor is only there because you are looking back on older work with modern eyes. The same would go in future for (some) of todays work.

I think its a similar effect as to how sometimes music sounds "cooler" if its in a language foreign to you. Sometimes unfamiliarity can be of benefit - not because its better as such, but because its different to (our current) norm.
I wouldn't call it innocents though - the storys behind many classic films can be disturbing if you look too closely
---

I actually find a lot of older stuff thats viewed as classic really falls into some of the exact same criticisms we have of films today. 2001:A Space Odysseys, for example, I find amazingly overrated. Sure, it has some genius special effect work for the time - but today we would criticize it for the exact same thing. (especially the last half where it turns into a WinAmp visualizer for awhile ).

Perhaps its less so with films, but I have watched a lot of old sit-coms over the last few years. I mean, really old....and I find it shocking how little has changed.
The Beverly Hillbillies, for example - 1930's and the scenarios/humor, camera, timing, shots etc....its almost identical to shows today. Both good and bad points.
Really funny for the first few seasons, quickly going downhill later.

I think some things are just universal.
Old 2012-05-11, 20:53
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post

2001:A Space Odysseys, for example, I find amazingly overrated. Sure, it has some genius special effect work for the time - but today we would criticize it for the exact same thing. (especially the last half where it turns into a WinAmp visualizer for awhile ).
Oh god you just won't stop!
Old 2012-05-12, 17:11
Classic

Just because somethings "Classic" doesn't mean its good.
The film revolutionized special effects (the rotating ship is still one of the best shots in cinema history imho). But the story is a mess and gets far too carried away with showing "random pretty stuff" on the screen near the end.
Its exactly the sort of thing people moan about todays films doing too much of, but it gets a free pass.

I got loads of other classic films I could complain about too if you like :P
The first half hour of "Rear Window" is incredibly boring, with some terribly forced "gender role" based conversations.
Also, it has some crazy-wrong perspectives if you think about the field of view too much....but thats just me being very nit-picky :P
Old 2012-05-13, 13:33
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
I agree with you about Space Odissey: it gets pretty boring after some time... but in my opinion the ending is one of the weirdest things in cinema, just anyone could think of something different about it's meaning. I admit that if it was a little shorter I would have loved.

I don't agree on "The Rear Window", in my opinion it's still one of the best detective stories out there, and the main character's inability to move makes it all more interesting. The idea that all the scenes are seen from the same window is fantastic. You get to know a lot of characters just for what they do during the day, even if you don't know their names.
Old 2012-05-13, 14:22
Classic

oh, to be clear: the whole concept of Rear Window is great, and its been copied a hell of a lot now too. Only a few weeks ago "Person of Interest" had one like it. (with cctv rather then a window, but it ws clearly a homage). Like a lot of Hitchcocks work its become a template for others.

My problem was purely the start. I know its a product of its time, but even then the "gender politics" seemed forced and dragged on too long.

btw, other "one room" movies worth watching: Exam, The Man From Earth, Pontypool.

Quote:
I admit that if it was a little shorter I would have loved.
I looked it up on you tube, the visualizes like sequence at the end is over 9 minutes!
Old 2012-06-12, 07:51
LOLwut?

Ok. I've seen Captain America: The First Avenger.

The movie was ok. I'd rate it with a 7/10. It's kind of predictable (and much more boring than The Avengers), but the guy takes so long to become Captain America that you really are rooting for him when he finally does :P The final battle is a chore, though.

Old 2012-06-12, 11:18
Classic

Battle scenes are normaly far too long and boring.
Its funny, because The Avengers and Cap '(less so but still) both had some good character dialogue/interaction - they prove they can do stuff other then nonstop battles just fine.
I think Writers are given a min number of minutes for their "battle quota"
Old 2012-06-21, 20:36
Banned

Madagascar 3 this animated movie i have watched last ..
It's a good movie to watch but only once.

Old 2012-06-21, 23:05
Quetching a Mr.

The last movie I remember watching was, "Puss in Boots" by Dreamworks. It's a really good movie, and it is really animated. It is a really funny movie, in my opinion. It was released in the USA first, so I am not sure if many of you have seen it yet.
Old 2012-06-21, 23:20
Magic Level: Red Ball

The longest day in blu ray
For me the best movie on ww2. Best than saving private ryan and co.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqFn_pM5QxU
Old 2012-07-12, 16:41
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archas View Post
The longest day in blu ray
For me the best movie on ww2. Best than saving private ryan and co.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqFn_pM5QxU
Enemy at the Gates is better imo

Memento (2000)
Nice movie, pretty unique. Christopher Nolan is completely crazy to make a film like this. The movie starts from the end and goes backwards, scene after scene. In the end, you get to know how it all started, and the ending is pretty unexpected I think.
I think Nolan does the whole "moving backwards" things just to confuse you, so that you are as confused as the main character is... but I don't think it's that effective. Thanks to this kind of narration it's pretty easy to guess how things went, even some minutes before this thing happens.
But it's cool to see a scene you had already seen before and think (Oh, so that's how things went!)
7.5/10
Old 2012-07-14, 17:00
Party animal

So...this is how our forum is going to die.
Old 2012-07-15, 16:22
Classic

Tokio Godfathers - Excellent animated movie. Essentially "3 hobos and a baby", pretty funny and lots of random stuff happening.
Only crit perhaps is there was a silly amount of co-incidences, but it didnt really hurt the film.

Tekkonkinkreet - Good God this film is a mess. Pretty and well animated, but the plot is all over the place. It cant make up its mind whats real and whats not. Theres no consistency at all - if some stuff is supposed to be in the childrens head (aliens, falling from space whatever), then we need at least hints as to what really happened. If its not then why the hell arnt people reacting?? Someone fell from the sky and you act like its normal? WTF? Is this a fantasy world or not? Stupid film, waste of a good animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuetch View Post
The last movie I remember watching was, "Puss in Boots" by Dreamworks. It's a really good movie, and it is really animated. It is a really funny movie, in my opinion. It was released in the USA first, so I am not sure if many of you have seen it yet.
I saw it - was much better then I expected.
Old 2012-07-15, 17:34
Do the evolution.

Loved Tekkonkinkreet, yes.

But Puss in Boots I didn't even really finish, it seemed horrible.
Old 2012-07-15, 18:04
Magic Ball Master

Just saw "Cube" for the first time. I quite like it. Its amazing how a simple concept let us stick to the movie till the end. Still need to see the sequel e prequel.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2012-07-16, 04:49
the legend

Cube, the first one from 1998, is awesome.
It's really thrilling, and a great idea. Too bad the ending isn't satisfying.
The sequels/prequels aren't any good, imo, just more of the same to cash in, apparently.*

--

Tekkonkinkreet is awful. DF pinned it down: waste of a gorgeous animation. It's strange because there are so many great stories out there, lost in underrated books, that'll never get a chance to be filmed/animated, yet, when they pick a story to make an animation it's something completely unfeasible. Why why why.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2012-07-16, 10:08
Party animal

Cube 2: Hypercube is one of the worst movies i've ever seen. Anyone who had anything to do with making that movie should be shot. i'm not joking.
Old 2012-07-16, 16:35
Classic

regarding Tekkonkinkreet - anyone read the Manga? is it more coherent?
Old 2012-07-18, 00:35
LOLwut?

Prometheus: Not sure if it's a great film or just a good film, because the more it resembled Alien, the more I liked it. The final shot was fan-tas-tic if you're a fan of the Xenomorph. Leaves the gate open for sequels and if I wasn't told of that beforehand I'd have hated some never resolved plots.

9/10

Elefante Blanco: For an Argentine film, I had my doubts about this one. But it was a nice pseudo-critic and more thriller like story of poverty, faith and despair, perfectly watchable stuff.

8/10

My next movie it's going to be The Dark Knight Rises, here's hoping it rocks.

Old 2012-07-29, 16:56
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to johnnybrubacker
dark knight returns - good movie 9/10
Old 2012-07-29, 22:36
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

damnit I gotta wait till 30 of August to see the latest Batman in a cinema here in italy.
Old 2012-08-09, 01:10
Classic

Saw a few movies which I'll sum up as follows:

John Carter of Mars - we really enjoyed this despite it getting fairly
patchy reviews. Its based off a 1912 sci-fi book, so I am kinda
curious how close it matches the source material.
The whole jumping/strength excuse is the original concept for superman, incidentally.

Mirror Mirror - A snow white live action adaptation told from the evil
queens perspective. Some very pretty visuals, the director did "The
Cell" and "The fall" and it shows. Only real problem we had with the
film is it was tonely pretty inconsistent. One moment fairly serious,
the next practically cartoon like.

Pirates: Band of Misfits -
Aardman stop-motion animation, very fun
although not as funny as their typical Wallace and Gromit work.
Surprisingly, Flight of the Concords did part of the soundtrack.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:36
the legend

I have just finished watching almost all of Akira Kurosawa's (the japanese director) films.
Some of them were epic, others... mostly epic wannabe's with some salvageable moments.

Now I have this urge to get myself a Katana, and leave my town as if I was a masterless samurai to become a hero and save farmer villages.

His best film, imho, is not samurai related though... it's one called Ikiru ("To live"), whose storyline and final message are truly worthy.
Perfomance is memorable, too. Maybe it's because it's from the 50's, maybe because it's a japanese movie, but they have a straightforward acting I really like. Save a few unnecessary exxagerated faces to convey "feelings", the whole pace of conversations got me hooked all the time.

Tags
films, movies