Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2016-09-10, 01:49
weee

I would never watch a movie that way, don't worry.

Hmm, I'll wait then.
Old 2016-09-10, 23:42
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
(copied from last game thread)
Star Trek Beyond -
Villain meh, McGuffin uninteresting, plot so-so. BUT that felt like Trek. Or at least a Trek film. Lots of aliens, lovely landscapes and imaginative ideas.Lots of nice crew interactions too. Also, it gets really silly at one point.....and when you see the moment coming some might think its too stupid....but personally I loved it.
The film was also on message. Treks our goal. Techno-utopia. Sure theres conflict, but Trek supposed to give us hope of what could be, not a sci-fi version of what is.

My only real irritation was my own pet hate of
Spoiler:
Vampire aliens
. Was completely unneeded.
Old 2016-09-22, 14:09
Banned

Twinsun

The Remains 2016

Wer

Late Phases

Last edited by Bunnyrabbit; 2016-09-22 at 14:25.
Old 2016-10-06, 00:20
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to johnnybrubacker
Ebola Syndrome(1996)

Early HK exploitation starring Anthony Wong. Plot is around a despicable small time crook/restaurant worker who gets infected with the Ebola Virus and goes around causing havoc. Very gruesome and really shows you the depths that humans can sink to. However, it's quite a fun film... I guess if you enjoyed a serbian film, this is your kinda movie. 7/10
Old 2016-10-06, 01:46
weee

ARQ - Ah, at long lat, a proper sci-fi movie. Not made of phony plastic. That's how a feature-lenght movie should be packed. Pump a rich & creative stream of storytelling in a fresh and spicy consumable form, the minimalistic way! Delightful!
This movie goes to show that if you have a good script and a good crew, budget is of little to no importance.
Old 2016-10-10, 09:16
Banned

Twinsun

Old 2016-12-12, 08:49
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Arrival - You know when you go into a film knowing absolutely nothing about it, sort of get a vague sense of deja-vu then suddenly realize you read the short story its based on 20 years ago? that.

Still, recommended. Particularly going in not knowing anything, and particular if you want to see a more realistic (imho) take on truly alien contact.
Old 2016-12-12, 10:57
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Still, recommended. Particularly going in not knowing anything, and particular if you want to see a more realistic (imho) take on truly alien contact.
Argh! And here I was all set to go in not knowing anything
Old 2016-12-12, 15:52
Classic

I could be lying. Those giant chocolate orange segments in the posters could be giant chocolate orange segments.
Old 2017-01-06, 22:17
Magic Ball Master

Been watching a few (badly chosen) films recently due to time off work. Don't go back till the 20th of January. If anyone has any decent recommendations - would be much appreciated.

The Duff (2015)

4/10
Typical high school formula movie for the 10's where a not so cool person realises that being cool is not everything, whilst getting the "hottest guy" in school.

Dangal (2016)
7.5/10

Indian film about how a man achieves his wrestling dreams through his daughters, coaching them to become top class wrestlers, fighting against sexism etc. Quite an inspirational movie, but geared towards the main actor having the spotlight and straying away from it's main theme of feminism as in the final act, the females have to rely on the man.

Freaks of Nature (2015)
6/10
Generic horror comedy about a town where zombies, vampires and humans co-exist peacefully. has some laughs but mostly unlikable characters and a plot which doesn't really go anywhere.

Total Frat Movie (2015)
6.5/10
Bit of a throwback film to my teen years - a genre which was really popular in the 00's but would be labelled as misogynistic in the present day. Doesn't really differ from those past films. Weird to see Tom Green in a film again - doesn't look or act much different.
Old 2017-01-07, 18:34
Classic

well, thanks for sharing stuff to avoid there

Anyways, I guess my film recommendation atm is Arrival. At least that was the last thing I saw and enjoyed it a fair bit. Serious sci-fi thingy best to go in knowing nothing really though.

If you want something a bit more lighthearted, one of my favorite classic comedys is "Top Secret". Very,very,very silly. But often in a clever way.
The type of humour probably isn't too everyones taste, you could probably tell from the trailer;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSKSLmMGQ3I
(From the makers of Airplane / Naked Gun)
Old 2017-01-08, 21:03
Magic Ball Master

Thanks, I'm a big fan of naked gun so will check it out. Val Kilmer looks unrecognisable!
Old 2017-01-17, 19:42
Classic

Indeed.
---
Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders - Its kinda awesome this exists. Its basically a brand new Adam West Batman - but animated - with the main original cast reprising their roles.
Its been half a century since the last episode aired, so its gotta be the longest original cast resurrection in history? maybe?
Either way, it maintains the spirit of the show and "The Movie" - that is knowingly silly with much of the humor coming from the cast treating everything as serious. Theres a little more innuendo about then what they snuck into the original.
Overall its not fantastic, but its enjoyable, and cool it got made.
Old 2017-01-18, 21:15
the legend

I, sgk, highly recommend: Moonrise Kingdom. 'nuff said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Arrival - You know when you go into a film knowing absolutely nothing about it, sort of get a vague sense of deja-vu then suddenly realize you read the short story its based on 20 years ago? that.

Classy.
The one that inspired it all.
Gordon Freeman/Half-life? *wink wink*.
One of my all-time favorites, since I was little.
P.S.: It's all real.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2017-01-19, 00:54
Polly parrot

Haha, not a bad one, but I prefer the Grand Budapest Hotel from the same guy

I love Wes Anderson's style, and 4/3 suits him just so well
Old 2017-01-19, 03:20
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
4/3 suits him just so well
4/3? You mean, the aspect ratio of the screen?

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2017-01-19, 12:36
Polly parrot

Yesyes... I think it's written 4:3 '
Old 2017-02-04, 01:12
weee

Arrival - Big meh. Might very well be that the book was good, and maybe this movie is ok as a supplement for the book, but standing for itself this movie kinda sux.
This feels like they took a short story and made a half-assed effort to make it into a script for a 2 hour movie. Why 2 hours? This could easily have been 20 minutes, with no details or plot lost at all. So... slowly... paced. They could have used these 2 hours to convey so much more, if only they had anything more to say.
And why everything so monotonic and calm? Trying to get the viewers to fall asleep?
Misplaced drama, cheesy, cliche, and the main concept/premise is not awful but also not as brilliant as they're visibly trying to make it seem.

A funny thing I noticed is that nearly all movies that get score of 8.0 or more on IMDb are terrible. The best score is usually between 7.0 and 8.0.
Old 2017-02-04, 02:34
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Arrival - Big meh. Might very well be that the book was good, and maybe this movie is ok as a supplement for the book, but standing for itself this movie kinda sux.
This feels like they took a short story and made a half-assed effort to make it into a script for a 2 hour movie. Why 2 hours? This could easily have been 20 minutes, with no details or plot lost at all. So... slowly... paced. They could have used these 2 hours to convey so much more, if only they had anything more to say.
And why everything so monotonic and calm? Trying to get the viewers to fall asleep?
Misplaced drama, cheesy, cliche, and the main concept/premise is not awful but also not as brilliant as they're visibly trying to make it seem.

A funny thing I noticed is that nearly all movies that get score of 8.0 or more on IMDb are terrible. The best score is usually between 7.0 and 8.0.
I just realized there's been a new Arrival film. Hm. The one I talk about in my previous post is the one from 1996 (hence my "favorite since young" comment). Have no idea what this new one is about but now I don't even feel like finding out.

Old 2017-02-07, 01:39
the legend

OPERATION AVALANCHE. Brilliant. Felt gripped the entire time. Pay close attention cause it's not worth a rewatch (the fun is surprise). Sure, not everyone's cup of tea, but if you like the "real footage" feel + conspiracies, this is a bomb.

Old 2017-02-14, 13:30
weee

Kubo and the Two Strings - Another meh. (sorry Darkf I haven't given up on your recommendations)
The visual concept and art are stunning and the animations are so beautiful and special, which must make the visual artists and animators really frustrated to have given so much of their effort and their artistic talent to this empty hollowness of a movie.
This movie just screams to me "I want you to think I'm special and different and that only you and maybe a few other people get how great I really am. Also, this is your idea." But it's a lie. Reality, it's phony... fake. This is just not real. I don't think it's even based on something that came out of someone's soul and emotions. They just took some Japanese motives, added some random "gothic" weirdness to confuse the skeptic, wrapped it up in a randomly mutated microwave-ready plot formula and called it a story.

Also, way too much dialogue, and the dialogue itself is also terrible. With visual art as amazing as they have in this movie, it should have been silent. 0 dialogue and they could convey all the want all the same. But no, they had to fill the unnecessary time slots somehow.

So no, this movie isn't special, it isn't magical and it isn't even dark. The visual art is, and the animation. Not the movie.
Old 2017-02-14, 15:49
Previously Link

Totally agree with that review.
Such a waste of talent.
Old 2017-02-14, 17:25
Classic

I think thats just setting up a unfair strawman for the movie.
I didnt see any marketing for the movie, but in the movie itself I saw not a wiff of preteniousness, and (if anything) too much attempts to mainstream it a bit.(certain voiceactors)

It is different (I cant think of anythink like it in the last few years), but I dont see any evidence for
" I'm special and different and that only you and maybe a few other people get how great I really "

Its just a orginal non-western fairytale with a rarely used background adult theme (losing someone due to alzheimer's).
Thats it. It isnt trying to be more, it doesnt have to be more. It is what it is and it pulled it of fantastically.

I do admit the dialogue could have been cut down - the most emotion was often done with the least dialogue. To remove all the dialogue would probably make it seem overly "arty" however.
Old 2017-02-14, 17:28
Classic

As for Arrival, surprised you didn't like that. Yes, certainly it could have been shorter, but I liked the realistically slow/huge amount of work to try to understand the aliens. That specific aspect of the slowness I liked.
Old 2017-02-16, 23:24
Magic Ball Master

I Saw the Devil (2010)

Really gruesome Korean revenge thriller film. It's got some well known lead actors. It's an interesting film and does really invoke the depth of human emotions. However, it's a bit too long and loses it's novelty after a while. Good overall film though. 7.5/10

Tags
films, movies