Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2017-02-08, 11:19
Polly parrot

Jeez is this hard
My best is at 27 but I don't know how I did it...
Old 2017-02-08, 12:32
the legend

Hhehhee it's hard isn't it? All the more motivating to keep pushing your senses further. I'll let you guys try some more then if it seems really impossible I'll share my little secret to you.

Mind you, 63 is my highscore, but I average around 20~40 in most of my tries to surpass my record. So even for me it's not easy and requires absolute focus.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2017-02-08, 21:37
weee

Argh, I don't know why this is so hard. Exhilarating seems like a fitting word!
Old 2017-02-10, 19:04
the legend

It seems I beat my highscore this morning, now the tally is raised to 88 (daaamn, right? )

So I'll share with you awesome MBN people my humble tips for this little gem:

1) You must choose: take the blue or the red pill... Haha, no, seriously, the trick is to focus on ONE color only. Let's say blue. Ignore the orange and it's interactions. Train your brain to react to any blue color. Keep your eyes wide-angle view, as to see all movement from top to bottom of the screen, without changing focus too much (changing focus wastes precious reaction time), on the lookout for anything blue. Condition your brain to a simple "script": IF blue coming facing your blue - hold finger still; ELSE tap finger. Once you are automated into this tiny script you'll see things flowing nearly automatically and it just feels wonderful, it's like being Han Solo avoiding asteroids with the Millennium Falcon.

2) Irregular amounts of coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6EC8-03F5%3APictures%2FScreenshots%2FIMG_20170210_154237.jpg‎
Views:	33
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	10078  

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2017-02-12, 11:30
Polly parrot

I'll try that
Old 2017-02-12, 13:59
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Tried a few demos on my 3ds.
Yoshis Wolly World - Lovely style, basically no challenge whatsoever to completing the level though, mostly about finding all the secrets. The SNES game was vastly harder.

Hyrule Warrior Legends - what is this? Fighting waves of enemies mostly be just jabbing a button, occasionally moving and doing it again. Yes, Zelda games have swords but that doesn't make the brands compatible. This feels all wrong.
Its like if you took LBAs skin and put it on TotalWar or something
Also, comes across as a lazy port - not even any 3D.
Old 2017-02-13, 16:48
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
focus on ONE color only.
I've come up with this solution on my own, but thus far I didn't manage to apply it successfully. I achieved my best score (29) using the "standard method".

(But all in all, this game is a nightmare. )
Old 2017-02-16, 04:31
the legend

It can be.

Or, with the right mindset* (*hardly achievable but intensely gratifying (mostly achievable in the mornings, for me)) you break thru the "matrix", and suddenly it opens up to you revealing that the game's unmanageable speed was all in your brain's preconceived sensation of frustration after failure and a natural tendency to have "itchy trigger fingers". Then... everything looks so slow and you wonder how come you didn't see it that way before? What has changed? I remember it being so hard, and now it's so steady, so perfect, it's beautiful, it's rhythmic, it's almost gracious. It's you against yourself - and how good it feels to "win".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6EC8-03F5%3APictures%2FScreenshots%2FScreenshot_2017-02-13-15-41-40.png‎
Views:	29
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	10079  

Old 2017-02-16, 20:48
~

Got a new high score of 32. In pain and tears.

Quote:
...intensely gratifying...you break thru the "matrix"...everything looks so slow...so steady, so perfect, it's beautiful, it's rhythmic...
Quote:
mostly achievable in the mornings, for me
Are you sure you don't smoke/take anything suspicious in the mornings?
Old 2017-02-17, 14:22
the legend

LOL. Oh Kasia. No, no, I don't take anything (does coffee count?)... but I'm a lot more patient. At the end of the day you're tired and can't focus just as good.

Old 2017-02-23, 18:04
Polly parrot

I have similar feelings with super-hexagon and a rythmic game called grandmaster of taiko. I sometimes achieved a feeling where I felt I was empty and my fingers were moving on their own, and I just sat there amazed at how my body played...
Don't get it often enough
Old 2017-02-23, 19:39
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I have similar feelings with super-hexagon and a rythmic game called grandmaster of taiko. I sometimes achieved a feeling where I felt I was empty and my fingers were moving on their own, and I just sat there amazed at how my body played...
Don't get it often enough
THIS is the feeling.

Where can I find this game?

Old 2017-02-25, 01:07
the legend

What you wrote is definitely accurate, polly. It seems the more I let myself in auto-pilot, the better and that's the only way I could get to a score of 60, 80... 100...and now 200. I lose whenever I take the control back, involuntarily, much like you occasionally do when you start breathing manually and can't revert to automatic at your own will.

So, that's the ultimate tip: try to get your brain into "auto-pilot" as soon as possible, then hold onto it as long as you can - because if you try to do it with your conscious self, you will try too hard - and you will fail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6EC8-03F5%3AScreenshot%2F20170224115720590.png‎
Views:	37
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	10080  

Old 2017-02-25, 21:26
weee

Holy schnitzel kiddo, that's pretty impressive. Today I got to 32.
Old 2017-02-25, 22:56
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Holy schnitzel kiddo, that's pretty impressive. Today I got to 32.
Haha thanks
That's good.
But remember: don't try too hard!
Let yourself be one with the game
the game is you
you are the game
there is no spoon

Old 2017-02-26, 18:44
Polly parrot

Super Hexagon can be found on the google market or Humble Bundle, but you need to pay for it

Taiko no Tatsujin can be only found in japan, so I recommend pirating one of its multiple versions.
Old 2017-04-01, 12:56
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I reviewed Lego City Undercover:
http://www.cubed3.com/staffreviews/Darkflame
tldr;
+ seriously fun game. Basically a non-violent GTA with more platforming.
No challenge, relaxing. Big. Animations filled with life.
- long load times. No co-op multiplayer like the other Lego games.

===

Freedom Planet -
Finally got around to trying this after I got it in a Humble Bundle. Its a Sonic game made be a Indie basically - but with enough of its own ideas not to just be a rip off.
I think it started as a Flash game on newgrounds.
Old 2017-04-17, 21:22
the legend

Soul Bubbles - It would seem that lately I'm on a spree to try all of Frederick Raynal's games. So, I've tried Soul Bubbles on my android phone with a DS emulator.

What can I say? it's not bad but nothing really amusing either. After a few levels I just felt it was too much hard work getting those bubbles intact to their destination, more work than fun. The dynamics are interesting but it just lacked the appeal for me to continue playing it. Perhaps if I was around twelve years old it would have been a decent passtime. Not memorable though.

The Swapper - omgomg the atmosphere of this game is amazing. Very exciting. HARD puzzles. Got quite far but stuck now... but that's how I like it.

Stanley's Parable Demo - DAMN this one caught me off guard. So clever. Such... penetrating humor. Brilliant... I might as well try the real game.

Old 2017-04-20, 12:25
Classic

I really liked Soul Bubbles. Didn't have much control issues, but then, that might be because it works better on a DS with a stylus.

Anyway yes, Stanley's Parable is great and the demo takes nothing away from the full game.
Old 2017-04-20, 18:19
the legend

Well, I don't have a DS but I think the touchscreen of my phone worked fine, I think what made it boring was not the controls but perhaps that it's so easy to get your bubble to pop... and the constant cut into pieces / merge them all again routine becomes too repetitive... well, this is entirely personal but it just felt pointless - I often questioned to myself "where's the fun in this? when the fun is going to start???". Maybe I just don't like games where you have to "babysit" anything I guess.

Old 2017-06-24, 22:21
weee

Two great games I've played recently were Quantum Break and Torment: Tides of Numenera. (Pretty much done with QB, Still playing Torment)

Quantum Break - Fantastic experiernce. This is a mix between a movie and an action-adventure game. It features a semi-linear story where you can have a somewhat different story every time you play. It also features famous hollywood actors, a numbers of which starred in Lost. After each episode of gameplay there's an episode of the live action show. The live action show is "edited" to show only the relevant filmed scenes in accordance with the choices you made during the gameplay. The acting, directing, modeling, and just about everything else in both the gameplay and the live action is top of the line. The best. So far it's mostly a question of funding, and a bit of vision.
But the best thing about Quantum Break isn't any of the things mentioned above. The best thing about Quantum Break is the story. It's so overwhelming good. And not "it's about the characters" good, but "expand the limits of your imagination" good. I did not see that coming. [Edit: to be precise, it doesn't as much intoruce imagination expanding ideas rather than expand on never-before-expanded ideas introduced occasionally on recent sci-fi's. Also it's a great story regardless of that.]
A bit too violent though. Like in many american shows, everyone turns out to be an undiagnosed psychopath. Pretty bleak view of the world. This integrates deep within the story however, so it's not like they could change that aspect without changing the entire story. I guess it had to be this violent to sell well as a game. The fact the violence is necessary for the story makes it more tolerable though.

Torment: Tides of Numenera - Could be a tiny spoiler, but it's revealed pretty much in the beginning (plus I haven't gotten far in the game yet) and I'm just gonna say my interpretation of it, so no spoiler tag:
What if, hypothetically, the human race will remain as it is now, without evolving to a significate degree, without getting extinct, and still populating and dominating planet earth - for billions of years? And by "as it is now" I mean as we know it. Making incredible advances in all fields of science (including ones that don't even exist yet), getting into senseless wars among itself, with civilizations constantly raising and falling, knowledge gained and lost, over and over again over the course of countless (virtually infinite) millenia? Seems unlikely right? But in this hypothetical scenerio - how will the world be like? How will society be like? What will the landscape look like? Torment: Tides of Numenera attempts to answer that question. And it is a fascinating concept.
Very high English (almost spitefuly so) a lot of it. So if you're like me, better get a dictionary app on your phone and be ready to use it a lot. It'd be worth it.

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2017-06-24 at 23:01.
Old 2017-06-25, 09:55
Classic

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations. Both sound pretty darn interesting. Just wish I had more time...so many good games!

Reminds me of the Defiance game, which originally was supposed to run concurrently and 'sycn' with the (broadcast) tv show. Nice idea, but didn't really work. Shame as neither the tv show or the game lived upto the (imho) fantastic setting.
Old 2018-03-17, 21:07
the legend

I can't believe I missed UNDERTALE during all this time of my life --- am so enjoying it, the humor, the originality, and omg the creativity!!

Old 2018-03-18, 10:52
Polly parrot

Undertale is great indeed

Also, did you know there is a Monument Valley 2 ? 'Cause I didn't until last week
Old 2018-03-18, 21:03
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Undertale is great indeed

Also, did you know there is a Monument Valley 2 ? 'Cause I didn't until last week
I heard of it but didn't try! I sure will.

Tags
games, videogames