Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2017-06-01, 19:04
Quetching a Mr.

Twinsun Nintendo 64 Anthology Classic Edition: Quote By Fred

So, I wasn't sure if I should post this in Chaosfish's box thread, but I decided to just do a separate thread - in case it's too difficult to find a 'spot' in an older one... if that made sense?

Anyways, this book was released earlier this year, a little bit before 2Dark was released. Believe it or not, Fred's got a quote in the book! We all know that he didn't work on the Nintendo 64 at the time, but he definitely had some things to say about the advantages and disadvantages of it.

Here is the quote word for word straight from my copy of the book:
(There might be a typo or two, but I checked.)

"Game programmers enjoy a challenge. It's a fact. And developing an action game on a cartridge is a challenge since you have to use as little memory as possible, and pay extra attention to playability and the storyline. Conversely, on the Playstation, developers tend to gamble on long demos that fill-up the CD and sometimes neglect the essence of the game. That's a risk that doesn't exist with cartridges. Yes, there are a few cut-scenes in Nintendo 64 games, but that's not necessarily what players are looking for. Cartridges certainly have advantages over CD-ROMS, with their "plug and play" capacities and non-existent loading times. On the other hand, CD-ROMS are cheaper and boast larger data storage. This hasn't always been used for the game itself, but often for graphic artifices such as non-interactive demo sequences, that serve to bulk out the storyline. Cartridges may be pricier, but players are prepared to pay a little extra for a solid game."

If you think about it, probably two games that actually had multiple cut-scenes for the N64 were Resident Evil 2 and Conker's Bad Fur Day - both games using 64 MB, but that didn't stop the developers...

Hopefully no one has posted this yet - I even searched and couldn't find anything.

Isn't that cool or what?

By the way, I'm still doing the N64 homebrew, so if anyone thinks me ignorant for making an LBA-like game on it, prove me wrong. Yes, I'm still on about that and it's been around a year now.
I can already convert BMP images to C arrays and import my own models to the console. I can even get vertex color working and blending in with textures. I'm currently studying how threads and the OS work in general.
Old 2017-06-02, 15:42
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, I agree with Fred here.
Also worth nothing the original generation of CD drives were vastly slower then later ones.
Games like Oot would be a nightmare, or impossible.
Old 2017-06-02, 23:25
Polly parrot

Chrono Trigger was published in both CD and cartridge form, and the PS1 version had cutscenes, buuutt... Loading times.

Anyway, nice quote, idea nicely put.

Tags
fred, nintendo, playstation, raynal