Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2017-06-13, 02:25
LOLwut?

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is happening!! But...

Hey guys, it's been ages. Today I'm bringing you tasty E3 news. If there is a place to discuss this, it is here. I bring you....a brand new Beyond Good and Evil 2 trailer! It's official, it's happening, it has a website. http://bgegame.com/ And a trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9VPnI34dPw But it has some problems. Seems to be an online game, co-op gameplay, swear language and it is a prequel of sorts. At least, Jade's mom seems to be in. Thoughts? Ps: Can't show the link properly, for some reason xD

Old 2017-06-13, 02:28
Amnesti

i really don't like that monkey character
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Old 2017-06-13, 15:11
Previously Link

It doesn't look anything like BG&E.
Old 2017-06-13, 17:16
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Could be a good game, but indeed doesnt sound anything like the first.
Also: still no gameplay footage
Old 2017-06-14, 00:54
weee

This trailer bums me out. Did he really have to say "mother fucker"? Were they not creative enough to come up with an other-worldly obnoxious dumb criminal? Really?

The beautiful graphics only make this more annoying. The lack of effort in the writing is a clear mark of disrespect for the many thusands of hours of work that must have gone into making this. And yet somehow, the more money goes into production the worse the writing is, usually.

Reminds me, *ahem*

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2017-06-14 at 01:03.
Old 2017-06-14, 12:29
Previously Link

"The beautiful graphics". You find that beautiful?

To me, it looks like generic, realistic, war-oriented sci-fi. The kind you find in most video games that are marketed for male teens and young adults.
The first had a specific visual identity, with more contrast and inspired architecture.

It looks like they just three a lot of money and marketing at this and little authorship/authenticity. BG&E is dead to me.
Old 2017-06-24, 15:50
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Demo of the engine:

Very worth watching. Still not much info on gameplay, but awesome looking Elite/NoMansSky style engine.
Might not end up a good sequal,but could be a great game anyway.
Old 2017-06-24, 19:07
Magic Ball Master

Looks like it lost all the charm from the previous game and they are not helping with what their showing...

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2017-06-25, 00:25
Look beyond reality.

I'm not impressed to be honest. Where's the originality and quirkiness of the original? Where's the character?
Old 2017-06-25, 11:08
Classic

I think its a little early to be too negative. We know nothing of the story or characters, other then that monkey.
Its the same creator in charge, and the example of delivering a pizza to a massive spacecraft using a jetpack then finding captives on the ship while doing so seemed good to me. Esp. using the camera to gather evidence.

My main concern is the multiplayer. Sounds cool in principle - co-op adventures are rare, but sadly it often means things suffer as a single player.
Old 2017-06-25, 12:44
Look beyond reality.

Fair enough, game isn't out yet. But all of the decisions I have seen made up until this point are the exact opposite of what I would've liked to see for a BG&E sequel.

Trailer:
1. Not sure if the pig we're seeing in the trailer is Pey'j but his character seems nothing like it.
2. Not sure if we're seeing Jade at the end of the trailer but I would've wanted to see WAY more Jade to tie it into the original.
3. What's with the swearing? No need for it, at all. Also sets it apart from the original. Total clash with the cute-ness I know BG&E for as well.

Gameplay vid:
1. Playing as the monkey? That's a big step from playing as Jade. Same as with LBA, I think being the human(ish) in a fable-type of world just works better.
2. It feels like it's way too soon to call it a gameplay video, there's basically no interaction going on and we're just hovering next to 2 structures we already saw in the trailer: the ship and this huge statue.
3. The constant nagging about sense of scale. For me, the sense of "scale" in BG&E was due to all of the different locations and how ALIVE they felt. What I'm seeing right now is a focus on literally... scale! I get how big the statue is, yeah. I don't care though.
4. Related, the whole "explore multiple planets" and "seamless transition from space to ground level". Very No Mans Sky. That was a great gimmick some years ago. Why does BG&E need this again?
Old 2017-06-25, 13:44
Classic

1. The pig is not Pey'j - this game is a prequal, I think they even stated it was set about 100 years earlier.
2. The speculation is thus thats not Jade, but maybe her mother.
3. Absolutely agreed with the swearing.
--
1. I dont think you play as the monkey. The dev video mentions choosing the monkey, so it seems either multiple characters, or you customize your own like a western rpg. It really isnt clear at all.

2. Its certainly not gamplay, they call it "in engine demo" which seems accurate enough.

4. Need? no. That doesn't mean it cant be good for the game. I just see it as a progression from the open-world-ishness of the original. Likely with space-races rather then boat ones. I would also guess the ship upgrades let you get to new locations as a way of managing game progression.
To me it fits well enough, but the question with any game trying to be "big" is how well can they fill it up. The original game was very dense - no real 'filler' or padding. Little repetition.
Old 2017-06-25, 15:23
weee

Am I the only one who thinks Beyond Good & Evil wasn't that good? Sure it was a good game, but it had its flaws. You guys are glorifying it too much. The ending for example was basically stolen from LBA2.
Old 2017-07-02, 18:18
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Beyond Good & Evil wasn't that good? Sure it was a good game, but it had its flaws. You guys are glorifying it too much. The ending for example was basically stolen from LBA2.
I won't speak for everyone but I think a big part of the charm for lots of us (MBN guys) is how similar BGE is to LBA. Even to the point of rip-off sometimes (kidnapping of children, going to the moon with a scientist, cute yet epic adventure, etc). I really liked that gameplay trailer they showed recently, still looks like nothing like original BGE but it might be something I want to play, regardless :P We will see. This new game is not releasing this year, for sure.

Old 2017-07-03, 00:28
Classic

BG&E had a disappointingly simplistic plot, but its style/atmosphere/world and diversity of gameplay made up for it.
Old 2017-07-05, 14:22
Zebrazilla

Engine looks like Infinity: The Quest for Earth. Neat.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s