Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2007-06-01, 19:03
Trippin Alien

Exclamation Stuck between Worlds

Im curious to know how many other mbn'ers have experienced this as well.

Even today, I remember very clearly what happened many years ago, when I awoke to find myself in a world I didn't know. I was caught in a void that I couldn't seem to escape from easily. You see, theres two places, and I was in between, the world your in now, and the world where anything can happen (bit like the longest journey, for those who played it).

To make it sound a bit less airey fairey, I was awake but asleep at the same time. I remember lying there in blackness, knowing I was aware that I was awake, but at the same time, unable to move my body or open my eyes. I could sense my eyes being closed, but I couldnt seem to hop into my body to activate my ability to open them or twitch a muscle.

I remember thinking, "where am I", "whats happening?" , I remember struggling to open my eyes and awaken myself, like I was dangling from a cliff edge. I was afraid, because I was awake in a unfamilar with state of being. I was struggling to awaken, feeling my eyes pulsating but still unable to open them, freaking out if I didn't wake up, I may drift fully consciously into this possibly eternal unknown world.

I don't remember how it ended, but Im here today, so I guess it turned out okay.

I still today get a little on edge when falling to sleep, fearing I might end up in that void again. I wonder if people in a coma are stuck in that same moment I was in?

I believe its known as Sleep Paralysis from what I can wikipedia about it. Funny, many cultures to some degree represent it as a being of some kind (ghost/demon/spirit) holding you down in your sleep for some reason. I've also noticed a few references that "Out Of Body Experiences" start at this point.

Either way, I didn't enjoy the unfamiiarity with the environment I was stuck within, so Im not wanting it to happen again.

Anyone else with a similar experience to this?
Old 2007-06-01, 19:06
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
I believe its known as Sleep Paralysis from what I can wikipedia about it. Funny, many cultures to some degree represent it as a being of some kind (ghost/demon/spirit) holding you down in your sleep for some reason. I've also noticed a few references that "Out Of Body Experiences" start at this point.
You're like the 5th MBN'er I've heard that's experienced sleep paralysis. I havn't, but I've heard from here and #lba all about it... No where else!
Old 2007-06-01, 19:12
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
if that was a dream, yeah it happened to me MANY times ... still happening nowadays every now and then
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-06-01, 19:32
Do the evolution.

Yep, got that damn sleep paralysis thingie many times. But I had my eyes wide open, could not move, or make a sound.

It's in many cultures too. It happens to everyone, for the reason that you won't hurt yourself during sleep, but normally it goes away long ago before you awaken, sometimes it's the other way around...

And then we have stories that a "hexe" sat on someones stomach and tried to strangle him, in my culture it's called a "dusiolek" wich would be like ""stranglinger" or whatever.

That's damn annoying, frustrating, not to mention fucking scary.
Old 2007-06-01, 19:46

So what happens if you try and go back to sleep?
Old 2007-06-01, 19:54
weee

schitzn, it's more likely you were in your own world (inside your mind) than you being in an actual parallel reality.

I'm not degrading your experience, I know it can feel like a real place, I'm just saying - it's a form of hypnosis. It's in the psychology book. It happens when you're between wakefulness and sleep. Sort of like a day dream, but it feels real and you are fully conscience.

It doesn't happen to everyone, but to a lot of people.

Funny coincidence, I had this happened to me the first time a couple of days ago [edit](without the paralysis part)[/edit]. I was really tired but I didn't go to sleep, and I walked around my house, and *bang!* I got into hypnosis.

Suddenly I saw the exact place I was standing in, but 13 years ago. It was the first time I was here (when we moved to the new house), I saw all the unfinished walls, all the pipes, I saw where I was standing then, where I walked, I even saw how I felt 13 years ago. I could look at different corners around my house and I saw them exactly how they looked like 13 years ago.

It was amazing.

Read more about self-hypnosis in wikipedia's article Psychonaut (yes, that's an actual term, the game Psychonauts was apparently based on it)
Old 2007-06-01, 20:05
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
*bang!* I got into hypnosis.

Suddenly I saw the exact place I was standing in, but 13 years ago. It was the first time I was here (when we moved to the new house), I saw all the unfinished walls, all the pipes, I saw where I was standing then, where I walked, I even saw how I felt 13 years ago. I could look at different corners around my house and I saw them exactly how they looked like 13 years ago.

It was amazing.
<Cartman voice>

FLASHBACK
Flashback
flashback
flashback
flashback

</Cartman voice>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2552 View Post
So what happens if you try and go back to sleep?
You get so panicked that when the paralisys finally lifts you grasp for air and storm out of the bed. Falling asleep, I can't imagine anyone being so calm.
Old 2007-06-01, 20:09
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Lucid Dreams rock.

Sleep Paralysis and Lucid dreams are closely linked.

I have had Sleep Paralysis twice, and Lucid dreams a few more times.

Sleep Paralysis is bloody scary..for me its always acomplinied by a kinda electrical/explosion sound.

Lucid dreams, however, are very cool
Like really being in another world.
Its kinda like your brain is "fully awake" but still dreaming. You are aware of the dream, but cant get out.
Better then that though, your awareness of the dream state allows you to have near god-like controll in the dream world.
Its utterly amazing to expirence.
Its a shame dream memorys fade so quick.
Old 2007-06-01, 21:00
The return of

Hmm, its quite normal, I agree with Jasiek, its probably simply a body trick to protect you from hurting yourself.

That said, everyone gets that. I dont believe it has anything to do with hypnosis, as hypnosis is simply entering a not so very deep state of meditation, enough to play with ones subconcious, that and ive actually been to a hypnotherapist for sleeping problems. In my opinion, its nothing special.

Take it easy, I honestly believe what you had was a state of anxiety, probably triggered by some sensation your body experienced just before then. If it was anxiety, then it was probably accompanied by sweating, intensive heart beats, and sometimes blurred vision.
Old 2007-06-01, 21:03
weee

Check out wikipedia about isolation tank, it's apparently a very solid doorway into lucid dreaming.

You lie in the tank filled with salt water, having a tube connected so you can breath, and this isolation tank thing deprives you from all your senses, causing your brain to automatically move into a state of dreaming, but you remain awake.
Old 2007-06-01, 21:09

Quote:
Take it easy, I honestly believe what you had was a state of anxiety, probably triggered by some sensation your body experienced just before then. If it was anxiety, then it was probably accompanied by sweating, intensive heart beats, and sometimes blurred vision.
[bad joke]perhaps it was an orgasm [/bad joke]
Old 2007-06-01, 21:14
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
<Cartman voice>

FLASHBACK
Flashback
flashback
flashback
flashback

</Cartman voice>
Yeah, I've seen that episode

It's a very amazing experience to have a real (vivid) flashback though.
Old 2007-06-03, 11:16
Magic Ball Master

Guys you're right i saw that on TV (a program named "Quarks & Co." maybe kobold knows it^^) it's a self protection from a little part of the moving Mark which is near the transition to your head.
Not everyone has got this symptome because it's a kind of sleep disturbance.
And another thing^^: if you fall asleep again your in a half-dreaming state what means YOU can dream your dream as you want it to happen.
I had this many before it's very funny so you may say "Blue Giraffe" and it stands right in fron of you^^

so well if you still have this symptom just tell your brain to awake or fall asleep again.

WNG:leoboe
Old 2007-06-03, 15:17
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
half-dreaming state what means YOU can dream your dream as you want it to happen.
I had this many before it's very funny so you may say "Blue Giraffe" and it stands right in fron of you^^
Thats Lucid dream, yes.
Its like being a God
Old 2007-06-09, 11:51
World Designer: Colozen

Send a message via MSN to DarkOnistar
Sometimes being God isn't always nice.
When your scaried of something and you see it become reality, its a scary thing indeed. Even more so when you halluinate because of some drugs side-effect which was given to me to try and control my behaviour. (school insisted and I didn't get a choice in the matter for being too young.)

Also its not as bad when you wake up in a place you recognise but waking up something different is shocking.
I had something similar to that, but I woke up at the bottom of a staircase, paralysed by the mass amount of pain going through my body. (I woke up like it was an alarm clock.. but it was pain instead)

Bleading and badly bruised I just got the injuries wiped up.. didn't get to go to the hospital or anything and I kept seeing people at the corner of my eye despite them not being there. The voice of some girl I could hear as if she was in the same room.
When I got back home my parents who were concerned phoned the doctors who wanted to put me on drugs again! I was already freaked out that I refused and ran away when they tried to. I'm not sure who to trust since Siblings are family and over worry but I don't have a best friend who can keep secrets.

It truely sucks to my point of view. Whats more is since whatever happened, I've been finding it hard to remember what happened.
Upon going about the school, I was missing for over an hour before anybody had any sighting of me. (I doubt its going between worlds.. but rather somebody had knocked me down the stairs.. or I fainted somewhere at the top)
Lord of the rings / LBA2 Spoof videos
Old 2007-06-09, 16:06
D0PEFISH

This has happened to me a few times, really quite scary. It's like your brains wide awake but can't move.