Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2005-02-19, 09:06
The return of

Wink Fox News, state of the art propoganda, or just plain stuiped?

I randomly went to the FOX News website, to watch the videos and see the latest lies (well, the blunt ones) in the media. Now, I watched one video, but trust me on this, even challenge me if you will, the amount of lies, and the deceit in this show is standard, im not being picky in anyway. Also, im interested in what people here think about fox, is it just another news station, or is it truly unique (relative to other news channels in the west)?

The following is by the presenter, Bill O'Reilly

When are we Americans going to wise up? How many times does the French government, led by Jacques Chirac, have to put all of us in danger before we get the picture? France is helping worldwide terrorism.

This is funny, France is helping worldwide (Islamist) terrorism ^^

Here's the latest. France has said no to Secretary of State Rice, who asked the Chirac government to designate Hezbollah as a terrorist group. If France would do that, Hezbollah could not raise money in Europe, which it is now doing through various charitable fronts.

A point I must raise. The EU does not allow Hezbollah, Hamas, or any of these organizations to operate officially in the EU in the first place. For now charity funds find their way to Hezbollah, but the decision to put Hezbollah on the list of terrorist organizations will not stop funds from reaching Hezbollah. Also, Hezbollah is not just a resistance movement, as it operates a vast number of public services in southern Lebanon, and its conduct in that sense is fully legal, like it or not.

There is no question Hezbollah is a terrorist group. It was responsible for killing more than 200 U.S. Marines in Lebanon back in 1983. And since then has murdered thousands of civilians primarily in and around Israel.

Killing US Marines is not an act of terrorism, but lets focus on the attack itself. Here he claims it was the work of Hezbollah, he states it as though it is a fact. For one, the group or individual who carried out the operation has never been identified. Many in America blame Hezbollah for the attack. Hezbollah maintains that it was not responsible for the attack, and the reason I have to believe just so is Hezbollah’s bluntness about its attacks, even when that hurts their Interests. Their TV station, Al-Manar airs videos, and stories about attacks the group conducts frequently. On one occasion, a shipment of arms headed for Palestine was seized by Jordanians as they passed through Jordan. Hezbollah openly declared “It is our duty” to send arms to the Palestinians. The people who were smuggling the arms were executed by Jordanian authorities who have zero tolerance for such activities. Furthermore claim for the attack was made by the Free Islamic Revolutionary Movement, who even identified the attackers. Also, the number of israelies killed as a result of the war in Lebanon mount to 960, that’s military and civilian (According to Wikepedia). Here Bill is, as usuall, exagerating casualty figures. The number of dead Lebanese civilians rises into the 10’s of thousands, with total casualty figure at (1975-90): 150 000, (as a result of civil war, and Israeli military action)

The secretary general of Hezbollah, a guy named Hassan Nasrallah, has openly stated that the group's slogan is "death to America." Hezbollah's head of security, a guy named Imad Mugniyah, met at least once with bin Laden and has a $5 million price tag on his head put there by the U.S. government.

Hezbollahs slogan is not “death to America”, rather it is "Only [those belonging to] the flock of Allah [i.e., Muhammad and his followers] are victorious." The reason I post this image is that is the symbol, and flag, of Hezbollah, and the writing in the top is the slogan. But what is even more interesting is the fact Hezbollah distances itself from the idea of attacking America, even making numerous statements that America is not its target, and that it will not attack America. As for Imad, according to the testimony of Ali Mohammed, he arranged security for a meeting between Mugniyah and al-Qaeda operatives in 1993. He has never met Bin Laden, nor has he been accused of doing so. An Al-qaeda operative is an individual who has attended one of Osama’s camps (e.g. Khaldun, Khalid bin Waleed) or one of the other camps opened up with American and Gulf funds for training individuals fighting the soviets (E.g. Azzam’s Maktab el Khidmat, or camps belonging to Jaish E Islami, Hekmatyar, ISU etc). His activities were not international, the 5 Million reward for his capture was for his role in planning and participation in the June 14, 1985, hijacking of a commercial airliner which resulted in the assault on various passengers and crew members, and the murder of one U.S. citizen.

Hezbollah is funded and harbored by Iran and Syria. And even the new Palestinian leadership wants them branded a terrorist group because they oppose any peaceful solution vis-a-vis Israel.

Syria does not fund Hezbollah, nor does it Harbour them. However, within Lebanon Syria Provides logistical Support, and Hezbollah operates within Syrian controlled territory(of lebanon). The Palestinean authority has NOT made any statement, nor in any way declared that they wish to see Hezbollah branded a terrorist group, another lie ^^

Jacques Chirac won't call Hezbollah terrorists. When is enough enough, ladies and gentlemen? When will the American people realize that Chirac and his minions are putting this country and millions of other of people in danger?

Millions of people, because he refuses to designate Hezbollah a terrorist organization? Millions? Hmm… exaggeration.

So I am again calling for all responsible people not to buy French products, not to travel to France, and to contact the French embassy in Washington, and let them know Chirac's conduct is unacceptable.

Your last boycott helped the French ^^, that, and feeling were far stronger back then (this video is a must see, thanks to Michael Moore www.michaelmoore.com/_media/oreilly5th.mov)

Now President Bush travels to Europe on Sunday. He'll meet with Chirac in Brussels. The administration continues to tell us things are improving regarding France. Don't believe it. Until we see the French government do something to help in the war on terror, we should consider that country hostile to our safety.

And so, the boycott of France is on. Bumper stickers are available on www.billoreilly.com. Get a bunch of them. Spread the word. France is helping Hezbollah and other terrorists. Until that stops, we're not buying their stuff. No spin, no whine.

And that's The Memo
Search for yourself, check what i say, what he says, and what other media outlits say, dont just take my word for it. If i am wrong, and you have sufficient proof, correct me.

The end, but ill leave you with one more interesting video, again, thanks to Michael Moore.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/_media/Coulter.mov

-Ahmad

Last edited by Axx; 2005-02-19 at 09:18.
Old 2005-02-19, 10:38
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
Yep, Fox is frightening like hell. Unfortunately, because of that, it's the best watched 'news'.

Fox news is unique because it blantly tells lies while other broadcasting networks try to be as precise as possible. Sure, every network has some bias, but if you lie on any other network, you will be fired because it affects the good name.
What I don't understand is why on earth they lie this much. I don't see the point of them to create this fake reality for themselves. If all of the US would believe this nonsense, it would damage the country beyond anything Al-Qa'ida would even hope to do.
Of course, one could say that their 'patriotism' goes further than their logic...
Old 2005-02-19, 11:51
Magic Ball Master

Ach, Fox are scary indeed. But that Ann Coulter is just as scary, if not scarier. I really have no idea how she can seriously say what she does and actually try to justify it.
Old 2005-02-19, 11:56
The return of

Ann Coulter is a minor at the Fox news presentors. Bill once ordered a guest to shutup, live on tv, others have some serious issues. Theyre all fucked up, that republican for ya
Old 2005-02-19, 12:11
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
American assholes.

--

You know how when a baby learns a new word, and they like to use it all the time?
That's how are americans are with the word "terrorism", since 9/11.

Terrorist this, terrorism that, blablabla.

Suddenly everything has to do with terrorisst, and I mean EVERYTHING.
Appearantly, Saddam as well had something to do with terrorism too!
I don't know what that was, but apperantly he did

Now the french are supporting Terrorism.
Bloody hypocrits, those fat ass yankess didn't know/care about the hezbollah before terrorism became "in fashion".

Sometimes I wish I could stand on a stage and tell all america what morons I think they are.
Old 2005-02-19, 13:33
Idot

Send a message via ICQ to Aule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin
Sometimes I wish I could stand on a stage and tell all america what morons I think they are.
Yes, i feel that too...

I mean America is NOT the most free country in the world, there are practicly only 2 parties to vote for (both very right wing) and if u say something to critizise the president, the actions of the country, ANYTHING, you get on FBI lists.

Here in sweden "SÄPO" (swedish FBI) has lists to, but they are mostly of members of extreme political organisations, and they arent monitored or anything.

The worst thing of all is the propaganda, they have these HUGE channels like fox just pumping propaganda into people, and its not like they "hmmm... i wonder if this is true, maby i should read more about it before i try to boycot a country, cos a man on tv says it". But i dont blame the pople, i blame those in power.

You see, again, i will compare this to sweden, here we have three big public access channels and most watch the news on these three. These three channels MUST be non-partic. So they practicly tell the truth all the time.

So as you see, the gigant in the west is kind of fucked up..
Old 2005-02-19, 14:00
weee

Quote:

Old 2005-02-19, 14:26
Party animal

Yes that comment was a bit stupid, but I don't like to have to be mindful of what I saw word for word, pansies.
Old 2005-02-19, 14:28
Still in a dream...

Quote:
What he said. Fucking arses in power. Worst thing is, we can't do shit about it.
Old 2005-02-19, 14:32
weee

Quote:
Yes that comment was a bit stupid, but I don't like to have to be mindful of what I saw word for word, pansies.
No no, that comment was very stupid. Not "a bit". VERY stupid.
And don't do this again. (I'm not talking as a moderator now)
Old 2005-02-19, 14:45
Party animal

No no. Thinking I actually meant that every american in the world is a moron, THAT, is very stupid.

You need to improve your "taking things literaly" skills, man.
Old 2005-02-19, 14:52
Still in a dream...

From what I understood he meant the bush administration and the people who work for the news channels.
Old 2005-02-19, 15:08
weee

Fine, I won't argue. Just, please avoid saying sentences like that?
Old 2005-02-19, 15:14
Party animal

--<-{@
Old 2005-02-19, 15:49
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandy
From what I understood he meant the bush administration and the people who work for the news channels.
Why then does he say "all America"? It's quite easy to interpret in another way..

FOX News is fucking sick, as we know.

Let's compare those two quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aule
You see, again, i will compare this to sweden, here we have three big public access channels and most watch the news on these three. These three channels MUST be non-partic. So they practicly tell the truth all the time.
Quote:
"hmmm... i wonder if this is true, maby i should read more about it before i try to boycot a country, cos a man on tv says it"
hmm...

People here in Europe are having a lot of opinions about the state of the USA. Thats good, there are lots of shit over there. But the problem is that the Europeans think that we are so much better. Which is a fucking myth.

For example you mention the American party system. "They are very rightwing and only two parties". The American parties are not the same as the parties we have here. If you look at the Democrats for example you have both left wing guys like Howard Dean, Hillary Clinton and Dennis Kuchinic, but also a conservative like Joe Lieberman. The same way with the Republicans, a very large span from left to right. The American parties are basically "election organizations", which is different to the parties in Europe. They don't have "party whip" and such over there.

Also, you could say the same about the Swedish system, we don't have any right-wing parties here. All the rightwing parties are going into the middle, look at Moderaterna recently for example. Sure, we have Sverigedemokraterna, but they are not in the parlament yet and it's a party made up of racist idiots.

But of course, the Americans lacks a real left wing alternative, sure. The thing is that it is easy to complain at others and then not see the nail in your own eye, as Jesus said.
Old 2005-02-19, 16:48
Party animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Sweden
Why then does he say "all America"? It's quite easy to interpret in another way..
I meant that sometimes i would like to be able to speak to the masses, like dicks like bill orreily are able to.

Anyway let's stop overanalyzing an unserious comment.
Old 2005-02-19, 22:32
Bass Guitar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmeister
Ach, Fox are scary indeed. But that Ann Coulter is just as scary, if not scarier. I really have no idea how she can seriously say what she does and actually try to justify it.

http://wfan.com/imusinstantreplay/lo...006125554.html
Old 2005-02-19, 22:46
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follis
A big 'lol' there. I'd like to find one of those dolls. That radio host is pleasingly laid back as well.
Old 2005-02-20, 06:33
The return of

Quote:
Yes, i feel that too...

I mean America is NOT the most free country in the world, there are practicly only 2 parties to vote for (both very right wing) and if u say something to critizise the president, the actions of the country, ANYTHING, you get on FBI lists.

Here in sweden "SÄPO" (swedish FBI) has lists to, but they are mostly of members of extreme political organisations, and they arent monitored or anything.

The worst thing of all is the propaganda, they have these HUGE channels like fox just pumping propaganda into people, and its not like they "hmmm... i wonder if this is true, maby i should read more about it before i try to boycot a country, cos a man on tv says it". But i dont blame the pople, i blame those in power.

So as you see, the gigant in the west is kind of fucked up..
Its mostly because, as an American who leaves the USA will tell you, most people really arnt that concerned about what goes on outside, because many people are more concerned about living it up in the USA, getting a job, an education, and living 'The American dream'

The patriot act is just taking away civil liberties of those who are more concerned, or those who voice opinions that are extreme relative to others in the USA.

American assholes.

--

You know how when a baby learns a new word, and they like to use it all the time?
That's how are americans are with the word "terrorism", since 9/11.

Terrorist this, terrorism that, blablabla.

Suddenly everything has to do with terrorisst, and I mean EVERYTHING.
Appearantly, Saddam as well had something to do with terrorism too!
I don't know what that was, but apperantly he did

Now the french are supporting Terrorism.
Bloody hypocrits, those fat ass yankess didn't know/care about the hezbollah before terrorism became "in fashion".

I agree, the term terrorism has become vague, and has deviated from its original meaning. This wasnt as a result of 9/11 alone, but the result of a meeting between british and american intelligence officials in a conference in 1979 (or 78) where they decided that the definition of terrorism was the targetting of civilians, and forign interests of countries. They officially opened the path for multiple definitions for the term 'Terrorism'
The original meaning is simple, Terrorism come from the verb 'terrorise' which means to instill fear, terrorism is basically to frighten or scare another individual, or people. Today its anything that comes in the Way of America, or its allies. Proof of that is the calling any attack on American soldiers, even in occupied Iraq, terrorism.

lol, sometimes everyone feels that way, not just about America.

No no, that comment was very stupid. Not "a bit". VERY stupid.
And don't do this again.

I dont find it stuiped, i find it coming out of fustration, and i find it uncalculated, and i strongly disagree with your request, id rather hear people voice their inner oppinions, that to become hypocrites shying away from their feelings. Id rather hear someone tell me their anti arab, than to harbour a secret feeling of hate, or dislike, towards me. By acknowldging your feelings, Americans who view this may be uspset, but they may also reflect on what it is that may have caused Anni to say such.

But of course, the Americans lacks a real left wing alternative, sure. The thing is that it is easy to complain at others and then not see the nail in your own eye, as Jesus said.
I dont see a lack of true left wing in America, i see a excessive amount of ultra rightwing, and right wing americans. I also view the problem as being the lack of positive education on forign countries, and their people, in America. Also, as one person mentioned in another thread, to make business many people overhype the threat America faces, and deludes the American population into thinking arms can stop that threat. It also hides the reasons why such threats arise, and the goals of the people who cause the threats, the cause being primarily arogant American forign policy. Bush's explanation was "they hate our freedom", and im appaled by the number of people who accept his reasoning. Someones gonna fly planes into towers because of the freedoms enjoyed within a forign country he never visited before?

I meant that sometimes i would like to be able to speak to the masses, like dicks like bill orreily are able to.
And rightly so. You speaking to the masses that bill reaches out to may have a shocking effect, particularly because your from an allyed nation. It may have a positive effect, but that depends soley on your speech, should it ever happen.

I posted this in another thread, as it is usefull for this thread, i thought id post it here.

Fox News analyst Denis Ross, former adviser to the president, comments on Fox News that it is the case that Syria is the one behind the assassination of Ex Prime minister Rafiq Harriri, because of two reasons:-
  • Syria saw that Harriri supported UN resolution 1559
  • They’re attempting to send a picture to the Lebanese, that this is the reality they have to live with (bomb scenes, etc…)

At some point into the Show, Denis is actually rebuts his first two point, subconsciously, with a much stronger point, and that is “this (the assassination of Harriri) may be really counter productive from a Syrian point of view”. Certainly, but what Denis forgets is that Syria would have easily predicted that fingers would be pointed at her after such an assassination, should it have been the real culprit.

My point of view on the matter is that Syria certainly could not have been the one behind the attack, particularly because of two reasons
  • Such an attack would, and has been proven to be, extremely counterproductive, with pressure on Syria increasing dramatically, from both Lebanese, America, and the world at large
  • Harriri, though apposed to Syria’s presence, actually maintained a good relationship with Bashar al Assad (Syrian Dictator), and in the past supported Syria’s presence, but opposition to Syria’s presence only arose when Israel withdrew from Lebanon, and Syrian military presence no longer served Lebanese interests

Proof that the Syrians would have predicted that fingers would be pointed at her, should she assassinate Harriri, is the speed with which people pointed fingers at Syria. Also, such an attack hurts Syria, as it draws more attention to itself at a time when negative attention is al it gets, and hampers Syrian efforts to better relations with the US.

Finally, the images and videos from Iraq Fox News is unlikly to show you.
http://www.dawah.tv/broadcast/iraqfree/iraqfree2.ram (click here to watch)
http://www.dawah.tv/broadcast/iraqfree/iraqfree2.rm (click here to download)
Old 2005-02-21, 00:21
master of electronica

While I agree their behavoire is atrocious now, I've always respected the policy that America and England have over immigrants-offering refuge to those who need it (such as Jews and others escaping the terrors of WWII.) I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but it's something I've been reading about recently-and something I've been reminded of, after hearing interviews from various people who can do nothing but thank countries like these for the chance of a new life, away from dreadful situations in their home countries. I'm also getting a bit bored of hearing America mocked every second. That does NOT mean I agree with their ridiculous actions in this (and some other) situations.

Tags
politics