Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-04-27, 15:32
~

Another forum

Would any of you be interested in having an alternative forum devoted to LBA?
A nice one, without all of these nasty things happening here? With good mods who first think then act? A forum where you could express your opinion, discuss, disagree with others and express your point of view, but where you wouldn't be allowed to offend others and be sure that anyone who doesn't act fair permanently will be banned?

I find it very interesting. Is there a possibility to create an alternative for MBN?
Old 2013-04-27, 15:36
Still in a dream...

There was once a place once.... no... can't mention it.
Old 2013-04-27, 15:38
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
There was once a place once.... no... can't mention it.
Did it fail? For what reasons?
I know some nice forums about LBA, but they're not international. It'd be cool to have such forum in English, for LBA's fans from all over the world.
Old 2013-04-27, 15:43
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Its funny how we mods are accused both of not doing enough action, and yet also not thinking before acting.
The amount of our lives we waste investigating and trying to be fair is stupid - feel free to start your own forum so you can see how much work you do with people moaning at you.
Old 2013-04-27, 15:46
Magic Ball GrandMaster

I know DF, that this is somewhat against the mods, but she doesn't have access to the mod section, so she simply doesn't know what all of you do.

In my opinion, it should be this forum all along.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-04-27, 15:47
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Its funny how we mods are accused both of not doing enough action, and yet also not thinking before acting.
The amount of our lives we waste investigating and trying to be fair is stupid - feel free to start your own forum so you can see how much work you do with people moaning at you.
Hey, see what I said in "Dear Moderators" forum. I think you're the only one who does the mod's job fine. Sadly, you can't achieve much when there is no will of change in people's minds. When some constant venomous posting takes place, it's not surprising that people become frustrated and blame you, the mods...
Old 2013-04-27, 15:51
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
I know DF, that this is somewhat against the mods, but she doesn't have access to the mod section, so she simply doesn't know what all of you do.

In my opinion, it should be this forum all along.
Well, I see the effects, and they're bad.
Besides, I had a mod friend, it gave me a little insight.

As for the second thing, maybe yes maybe no. We can't know if we don't try.
Trying to fix this forum reminds me of Sisyphus work. Perhaps starting something new would be a better solution.
Old 2013-04-27, 15:56
Previously Link

Actually, I think the moderation is good here, as long as posts are reported.
The problem is that some members are extremely careful, to not look insulting on a particular post, staying close to the line, but not over it. It's the intentional repetition of such ambiguous posts, all over the forum, often targeted at the same persons which is a problem.
Maybe we should discuss this problem, instead of making another forum? I think this one is pretty good, in every other regard.
Old 2013-04-27, 15:56
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasia View Post
Maybe you had/have little insight, that's ok. I have full access though, I read everything in there and in my opinion they genuinly discuss everything. Maybe if someone would be able to read all of that, they'd understand the actions better.

Quote:
Trying to fix this forum reminds me of Sisyphus work. Perhaps starting something new would be a better solution.
I can't tell. I just wish this forum was more pleasant to stay at.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-04-27, 15:58
Previously Link

Quote:

It's work and money you know, these things don't come for free. We are a relatively small community, we have everything to gain from being united.
Old 2013-04-27, 16:11
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link View Post
It's work and money you know, these things don't come for free. We are a relatively small community, we have everything to gain from being united.
Work - it's not a problem. Money - are they necessary? Are there no ways to make a free forum?
I don't want a forum that would compete with MBN in case of content, number of members, etc.
I'd like to see one, where it is nice to spend time. Where you want to come to talk with other people and exchange your views, not to check what new trolling method has been developed by certain members.
I have some ideas, but I need to know if anyone here would be interested in participating.
Old 2013-04-27, 16:15
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
Maybe you had/have little insight, that's ok. I have full access though, I read everything in there and in my opinion they genuinly discuss everything. Maybe if someone would be able to read all of that, they'd understand the actions better.
Once more - I appreciate their work and efforts, but the results are bad. And it may not necessarily be their fault. There are some things that can't be changed without a will of the other side. And some members enjoy having fun of this place, not in this place, while some others like to observe it. I think it'd be nice to have a forum without them, if there is no possibility to change their attitude to this one.
Old 2013-04-27, 16:18
Previously Link

Quote:
Work - it's not a problem. Money - are they necessary? Are there no ways to make a free forum?
Well, you've got to have a server, which is quite expensive, then good forum software, there are free ones, but something like vBulletin (which is the one used on the MBN) is not free.
Old 2013-04-27, 16:25
~

Quote:
Well, you've got to have a server, which is quite expensive, then good forum software, there are free ones, but something like vBulletin (which is the one used on the MBN) is not free.
As I said, I don't really want a website full of utilities, just a place where people can talk. There must be some sites which offer a possibility to create such a simple forum for free, same as there are some on which you can create a blog. Am I wrong?
(I'm not sure, I have no experience in setting up forums)

EDIT: I've googled "forum creation" and there are various sites offering generic, but somehow customizable forums for free.
Old 2013-04-27, 16:29
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Would any of you be interested in having an alternative forum devoted to LBA?
A nice one, without all of these nasty things happening here? With good mods who first think then act? A forum where you could express your opinion, discuss, disagree with others and express your point of view, but where you wouldn't be allowed to offend others and be sure that anyone who doesn't act fair permanently will be banned?

I find it very interesting. Is there a possibility to create an alternative for MBN?
I already created one as far back as in October 2004. It's the Island CX Forum. The URL is: http://www.islandcx.net/forum .
It'd be nice if it could get some activity.

Edit: I just wanted to note that I'm looking for staff members there too, and I'd be glad to have you on board, Kasia.
Old 2013-04-27, 16:32
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
I already created one as far back as in October 2004. It's the Island CX Forum. The URL is: http://www.islandcx.net/forum .
It'd be nice if it could get some activity.
Fantastic.
Can we please do something to make it "alive"?
It won't get any activity if the mods (are you the only one? ) don't try to attract people to it.
Old 2013-04-27, 16:34
~

Quote:
Edit: I just wanted to note that I'm looking for staff members there too, and I'd be glad to have you on board, Kasia.
Great, I'm willing to help!!!
Old 2013-04-27, 16:34
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Fantastic.
Can we please do something to make it "alive"?
It won't get any activity if the mods (are you the only one? ) don't try to attract people to it.
Absolutely, we need to do something to make it alive. And yeah, at the moment I'm the only active staff members there, there is mostly inactive temporary staff members that I wish to replace with more permanent ones.
Old 2013-04-27, 16:35
~

It says that "Creating a new account is currently not possible." - why so?
Old 2013-04-27, 16:38
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
It says that "Creating a new account is currently not possible." - why so?
Damnit, we disabled registrations when the forum was swamped with spammers, and we forgot to reenable them afterwards. Will do so now.
Old 2013-04-27, 16:42
Welcome to Zirla!

OK, registrations re-enabled.
Old 2013-04-27, 16:46
~

What's that in my inbox?
Quote:
道重さゆみさんへ、お誕生日おめでとうございます!
Old 2013-04-27, 16:49
Welcome to Zirla!

Wtf... "Happy Birthday, Michishige Sayumi-san"... that's from 2010, when I was obsessed with that Japanese idol and posted Happy Birthday threads for her on all forums I ran. I even sent her a fan letter by postal mail. Please ignore that.
Old 2013-04-27, 17:00
~

Quote:
Wtf... "Happy Birthday, Michishige Sayumi-san"... that's from 2010, when I was obsessed with that Japanese idol and posted Happy Birthday threads for her on all forums I ran. I even sent her a fan letter by postal mail. Please ignore that.
It may feel awkward for a new member to find such thing in their inbox on a forum devoted to LBA.

EDIT: It's not in the inbox, it's in the "important announcments" section, actually!
Old 2013-04-27, 17:03
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Well, phpBB is both free and good. You can easily run a good forum with phpBB 3. The thing is just in having the right staff and members. And you can just easily run a bad forum with vBulletin. I've been on some Russian Warez forums that use vBulletin, so I know just how bad it can get.