Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and it's world.

Old 2011-08-03, 19:36
the hobbits to Otringal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
To everyone who said the words "series reboot": what does it even mean?
Oh, I thought it meant this. But yeah perhaps DJ meant something else?

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2011-08-03, 19:55
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Hi I'm a french fan of LBA.

Just to make it clear, "Une réédition PC LBA1&2 (dématérialisée)" is that they will put LBA 1 and 2 on internet (Steam maybe or gog).

I think it's a good idea and these "reeditions" could make good sales imo(nobody can't stay insensible of the lba's music.
I hop they will put LBA on XBLA and PSN to touch a larger audience.

If they put LBA and LBA 2 on steam, they already got a client .

Old 2011-08-03, 20:16
Polly parrot

"dématerialisée" litterally means without material, so yes, I guess a downloadable version of the games.

Last edited by Polaris; 2011-08-03 at 20:41.
Old 2011-08-03, 20:21
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Hey, it' still something! At the very least we'll have a version of LBA fully compatible with modern operative systems, and if it becomes succesful enough we may even get LBA3.
Old 2011-08-03, 21:08
weee

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	didierfacebookcorrect.png‎
Views:	682
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	8735  
Old 2011-08-03, 22:09
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Hm. LBA for erm... the cloud? Like a web app? Like https://chrome.google.com/webstore?hl=en-US kind of web app?
Old 2011-08-03, 23:22
LOLwut?

Well, Didier got me as well when he said "Negotiations are ongoing".

I thought those were LBA3 negotiations, so, they'd set the deal this year, make an annoucement in quarter 4 and start developing the game in late 2012, when they got rid of their current work.

While I'm glad it seems we'll have a downloadable PC version of LBA1/2, I've yet to see a massive amount of sales from that type of franchise "reboot". Even Chrono Trigger sales seemed to be somewhat lackluster and CT is more popular than LBA.

We'll need to spread the word, then :P

Last edited by RGaspar; 2011-08-03 at 23:29.
Old 2011-08-03, 23:22
The return of

Could well be GOG, though I would hope steam gets a hold of it too.

I would imagine that if it did make it to GOG or steam, it still wouldn't garner much interest, as retro games never sell record numbers. A more profitable would be a reboot, with a change of controls, for portable devices in general. ->Point number 3 of Didier's clarification.

Even then, it still seems to me that you would need more to garner enough interest to bring about the 3rd coming of Twinsen.

I wonder if they could add functionality, game-play, mini games etc... All the kind of things that make it a chart topper. This isn't to say that they need deviate from the original world of LBA, but the kind of functionality that allows users to quickly pick it up and get into it may also act as an incentive for them to play the campaign mode.

Interlink the two, say achievements in the campaign have a direct impact (e.g. leveling up, unlocking new modes or assets) in the mini games. Maybe make it so that it has multi player functionality, or connect it to social networking sites. In brief, make it accessible to the masses, while remaining faithful to the fans and the more dedicated action/adventure gamers.
Old 2011-08-03, 23:29
weee

Maybe they can sell LBA as an iPhone app?
Old 2011-08-03, 23:59
The return of

They have the skills to do so, thats for sure. And the iphones hardware is phenomenal for games. E.g. Rage HD below (That's ingame on the iPhone 4)

I have found that many games suffer from poor controll on the iPhone. One game I downloaded was Call of Duty Zombies, suffice to say it took 10 minutes for me to never play it again. Some games do a great job, e.g. Rage HD, as it's on rails and circumvents the need to have a dual "stick" control mode which is pretty much unworkable.

GTA Chinatown also does a good job. For example, steering a car is made easy by giving the user two buttons to steer left and right, which while innacurate compared to a standard controller, works pretty well given the medium its on.

LBA for the iPhone could do something similar, and as a matter of fact, its outdated clunky movement controls would be a perfect fit for the iPhone. I hope it makes it to the iPhone, with added functionality.

The current iPhone top ten are made up of simple games like Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja. It takes a user 5 seconds to start playing, and gameplay times can range from a few minutes to an hour or two at most.
Old 2011-08-04, 00:09
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2011/0...reparation.htm
Old 2011-08-04, 00:46
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
That's kinda conflicting.

Maybe he didn't mean the message he sent me to go public? Oops.
I'm sure the 50 people who check the MBN won't ruin the surprise. Let's not overestimate our numbers. It isn't like he was talking to Kotaku or IGN. (I'm not trying to diminish your conversation, I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things, outside of this community, nobody really cares at this stage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesans View Post
That means they're planning a series reboot so that it could generate demand for LBA3.
Quote:
To everyone who said the words "series reboot": what does it even mean?
I mean LBA 1 (or perhaps a blend of LBA 1 and 2) into a modern gaming engine/graphics/physics/etc. Perhaps updating or changing parts of the story. Whomever linked to the new Star Trek movie is on the right track.

In my opinion, without a series reboot - a retelling of the original story - LBA 3 would have less appeal than it would if it was giving players a solid base in the LBA lore. Unless it came with the original games included in the package, I'd say LBA 3 should wait for a reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morshem View Post
What does he mean by "PC edition of the game"? Weren't they intended for PC on the first place? And what's "cloud"?
I'm going to say it will be on Steam, which would be a huge deal in helping to get talk about the games going again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axx View Post
I think that even if they were planning LBA3, they wouldn't announce it like they did.

This. Oh, and yellow is my favorite color for anal probing! How did you know?
Old 2011-08-04, 04:20

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Episodic release + Digital distribution = Self funding + no publishers

As long as they get all copyrights, they can do that. They can create the first 3-6 hours of the game and see if gets enough of a following. They can even use the business model of getting consumers to pre-order the full game to play the Beta version and getting funded that way.

Regarding reboots: the thing is that part of each game's charm is the graphics, especially LBA1.
Old 2011-08-04, 11:44
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAurus View Post
They probanly read the thread, because what they are saying is basically the same.
Old 2011-08-04, 11:51
Look beyond reality.

I can't imagine it would be hard to get funding for LBA3. Seriously, there are literally hundreds of thousands of people who know LBA, and at least ten thousand people who would buy it on release.
Old 2011-08-04, 15:30
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
Regarding reboots: the thing is that part of each game's charm is the graphics, especially LBA1.
I'm not saying they should reboot it, but from a commercial standpoint, if they're seeking as large an audience as possible, it might be a necessary consideration.
Old 2011-08-04, 15:31
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
I can't imagine it would be hard to get funding for LBA3. Seriously, there are literally hundreds of thousands of people who know LBA, and at least ten thousand people who would buy it on release.
Yeah, and as time goes by, this number would only decrease (obviously), so they shouldn't be wasting any more time.
https://royrajabally.bandcamp.com/
http://lapichon.deviantart.com/

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2011-08-04, 16:34
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
I'm not saying they should reboot it, but from a commercial standpoint, if they're seeking as large an audience as possible, it might be a necessary consideration.
Now that I think about it, I wonder if they couldn't "Mass Effect" it and include some sort of interactive comic, or even a physical comic, to LBA 3 that would help acclimate players to the story? They could also include LBA 1 and 2 as on-disk bonuses?

I found the ME2 interactive comic (for the PS3 version) to be underwhelming, and never having played ME1, didn't really help me understand too much as to the backstory. But it such a long game, that seems impossible anyways. Besides, playing through ME2 gave me the gist of it.
Old 2011-08-04, 18:20

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
Depends on the business model. If it's the one I mentioned, it's possible. If it's the old age publisher model then fat chance.
Old 2011-08-04, 18:22
The return of

Quote:
Agreed, though doubtfull they will do so as that may require a substantial budget and timeframe. We did something similar at my old studio, where we rebooted an old classic which took our far better staffed and funded studio a fairly long time and effort.

Quote:
Now that I think about it, I wonder if they couldn't "Mass Effect" it
If by that you do mean a massive expansion of the LBA universe, expanding and fine tuning the story elements, and introducing new more familiar combat gameplay mechanics, i'm all for it. It wouldnt detract from the main element of LBA, and would significantly expand the probable user base.
Old 2011-08-04, 18:40
Magic Ball Master

^ I agree with you Axx about the Mass Effect in the context you mentioned. But I was actually referring to the porting of Mass Effect to the PS3. Bioware created an interactive 'comic' which essentially allowed PS3 players to engage in the ME1 storyline (in reality, it's a 45 minute movie give or take whereby you make the decisions from ME1 that will have an impact on ME2).

I liked it in the sense that I got some backstory, but I still felt like I lacked any meaningful attachments to characters who appeared in ME2. But still, to me, that would be a cheaper alternative than a reboot.
Old 2011-08-05, 18:15
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
All this looks harder and less promising now. Let's hope they actually get to do something
Old 2011-08-05, 22:25
Tomorrow burns!

Send a message via MSN to Illumina
By my speculation, if they do manage to release a reboot of the two first LBA games through a popular community (Steam), not only would they gain commercial favour and increased popularity but probably also the refueled passion to finish the LBA trilogy, with less obstacles to crowbar their progress, hopefully.
I think that it's wise to question anyone or anything who thinks that they have the answer. The ultimate sum of all natural laws comprise the concept of God. And I'd have to be smarter than I am to describe it. The only way to enjoy life is to enjoy it and not to try to spend your time to deconstruct it. Ultimately, on the most of tombstones it should read: "Humans: Fretted, worried, prayed, procreated, sacrificed, died anyway." - Devin Townsend
Old 2011-08-06, 05:39
Here.

Yes, it'd be great to see a version of LBA 1 and 2 on steam. I personally don't foresee them making any significant updates to the games themselves, though, tbh. Just enough to get them to run on new machines/OSes. If that does well, there might be a chance to get LBA 3 developed, although at this point, I'm not holding my breath.
Old 2011-08-09, 18:41

Send a message via MSN to S.O.D.
It would be nice just to get both original games on Steam, haven't checked the forum in a while, reading this thread was like an emotional rollercoaster hahaha
MAKE LBA POSSIBLE!!!!