Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA: The Great Rebellion
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LBA: The Great Rebellion A game, made on the LBA 1 engine, and set between LBA 1 and LBA 2, in middle of the outbreak of a mass rebellion, and Twinsen has to end the rebellion. (homepage)

Old 2008-09-21, 20:46
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

stupid question : TGR+LbaWin

Hello,
it's just a stupid question, but can we play The Great Rebellion with LBAwin ?
and if yes ? how ? .. and where can we download TGR ?
Thank you.
Regards.
Old 2008-09-21, 20:49
Magic Ball Master

The TGR is far from being done. As soon as we have anything ready to present you, we'll give you a download. Right now you'll have to wait.
Don't worry, you will be able to play the TGR with LBAWin, with DosBox or simply DOS as you can play the original game.
Old 2008-09-21, 21:18
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
How far are TGR from a ready demo?

What part of the project do you find most challenging and/or time consuming?

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2008-09-21, 21:59
Magic Ball Master

To be honest, the biggest problem of the TGR is the team. We have no links between members, currently nobody feels himself responsible to do any work, including OBrasilo. While there is a lot of work done, there currently isn't the slightest progress because the team fell apart. Our biggest goal is to reorganize to make work possible again.
  • There are information problems in the team. I heard that the full storyline has been written. I haven't been able to get any information on it, because every time I mention the storyline to OBrasilo the topic suddenly changes. It looks like members are working for themselves to have work done, not for the team to profit.
  • Basically the TGR suffers from blatant misconception in many parts, a couple of wrong goals, a badly patched-up team without connections, and a dead, unorganized team forum. Nobody knew what other members are currently working on which parts of the game, as OBrasilo handed out all tasks in private IM messages and didn't care about the forum.
  • All active members do grids. We have no active 3D artist, storyline writer, pixel artist, concept artist or story coder. It didn't help that all done concept art was lost as one of the too many mods on OBrasilo's forum went mad and deleted all attachments. This is basically OBrasilo's fault for giving everybody in his forum moderator powers.
  • OBrasilo has also not made any attempt in teaching me how to use programs he knows but I don't. The basic idea is that I have to learn how to use the Factory all by myself. I could expand my jobs in the project if only I knew how to handle the modding tools. An attempt to convert the done music into .midi files failed the same way.
To put it short, the biggest problem is the inability of the leader to cope with the project. He has on the one hand no interest in working when everybody else doesn't, on the other hand makes no attempt to organize the project better to enable other members working on their part. Short excesses such as threats to drop the TGR entirely or to spy on other mod projects didn't help that. Many team members were never even interested in contributing, they were made members without applying for the team (like me). Some members (like Double-J) have quit the team because of the bad behaviour of OBrasilo in the Prequel team.

The entire organisation of the project is a failure. Neko made attempts to create job plannings, but that didn't help the blatant chaos of the team. We need to organize the grids we have (close to 100), make a concept of their respective scene, rewrite the entire storyline, get a better working concept and better member communications. As of now, we're only attempting to make a step into that direction.
Old 2008-09-21, 23:13
Magic Ball Master

Seems like Obrasilo must be overthrown. I'm serious.

Well I guess the project could use several leaders, and mainly known MBN members as developers.

Obrasilo's hiring is quite bad I can observe too. I just can't trust these ring-fans etc. and people who just say "omg I love lba can i help?".

Why not even have a subforum on MBN where all made contents lie.

The Prequel needs have an 'opponent' I think.

Obrasilo, what do you think of all this?

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-09-22, 00:38
New efforts! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold
To be honest, the biggest problem of the TGR is the team.
You got it right.

BTW, I'm tired of asking what things to do for the project, nobody gives me a certain answer. I have colaborated with over 10 grids, I have asked OBrasilo tons of times about what do I do next and nothing. Kobold, that's the same problem I have with him on my LID project, I asked him once to teach me storycoding but he didn't, if I could learn storycoding I could release the LID demo in no time. And if you want I can tell you some things about Factory, as you know, Gridmaking is the best thing I do when modding.

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2008-09-22, 12:48
Magic Ball Master

Well, I discussed with Obrasilo a bit, and since he says he changed his general attitude towards most things I criticized (and more), I can agree with him that he should still be the almighty leader.

Also, he insisted on me being a co-leader, and since I liked the idea and thought it can help TGR I agreed. We'll see how much work I'll put down for TGR, I make no promises ...

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-09-22, 14:50
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
You got it right.

BTW, I'm tired of asking what things to do for the project, nobody gives me a certain answer. I have colaborated with over 10 grids, I have asked OBrasilo tons of times about what do I do next and nothing. Kobold, that's the same problem I have with him on my LID project, I asked him once to teach me storycoding but he didn't, if I could learn storycoding I could release the LID demo in no time. And if you want I can tell you some things about Factory, as you know, Gridmaking is the best thing I do when modding.
OBrasilo said that he has no idea how to story code. All we can do is wait for a help file which Zink and/or alexfont are working on as a part of the new Builder.
Old 2008-09-22, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold
OBrasilo said that he has no idea how to story code.
What? Are you kidding? He told me he knew how to do storycoding!

Take a look at the blog!

Old 2008-09-22, 23:17
Magic Ball Master

I thought this was something he also was trying to follow.

There are no competitions between this projects so, if you guys need help, drop a message in LBA modifications forum and I'll help you as soon as possible.

I started story coding Prequel demo with some interactions between characters. It isn't easy and take a lot of effort and time (3 days in a single characters interaction, some movements around the scene, and connection between them). A part from being with it for a long time, I didn't code huge parts with interactions, only small parts to do certain script features. This process is making me learn how to code in LBA script and how tricky the language is.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2008-09-22, 23:38
Magic Ball Master

Actually, by hearing that, I consider that the best way to help TGR might be to use my skills in programming and help Zink improving story coder.

I also think all who has tried story coding should write their experiences and what they found tricky, in order for Zink to know what to improve.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-09-23, 01:38

I think that opening scenes from the game, reading the code, observing the behavior of the character ingame and trying to storycode your own character with a similar code and comparing is a good way of learning. But I remember that I couldn't save my script in LBAStorycoder, maybe it was my computer, and now with this beta version of LBArchitect I'm going to try again.

Take a look at the blog!

Old 2008-09-23, 02:51
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Kobold: I never said, that I don't know story coding at all, I just said, that I have a lot of problems with the scripts, since they're very un-documented, so I have no documentation to base myself off. I can add zones, and other sutff, without problems, and I can also handle the move scripts fairly well, but, as soon, as it comes to life scripts, I'm actually completely in the dark.
- Agustin: It's not my fault, if you always log on at very late hours, and I could help your project with other things as well, but I don't know almost anything about it, since the Team sub-forum is dead, and you hardly ever show up on MSN.

Last edited by Battler; 2008-09-23 at 02:56.
Old 2008-09-23, 11:29
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
Actually, by hearing that, I consider that the best way to help TGR might be to use my skills in programming and help Zink improving story coder.

I also think all who has tried story coding should write their experiences and what they found tricky, in order for Zink to know what to improve.
The only help we need now about storycoding is to build the script manual (Zink is currently doing a better version of LBA Story Coder old script manual). Builder now support 100% of LBA1 scripts and its very stable at the moment.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2008-09-23, 12:17
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
The only help we need now about storycoding is to build the script manual (Zink is currently doing a better version of LBA Story Coder old script manual). Builder now support 100% of LBA1 scripts and its very stable at the moment.
I was thinking of a feature 'above' the currently implemented. Features relying on the already existing.

For example say that you want to write the script conversation dialogs for an NPC, which has different dialogs to use during different conditions.

LBArchitect support everything, so you can design such an dialog script, but on the other hand it's very hard. I wonder if perhaps there is possible to make LBArchitect having a feature of making it more user friendly.

Just an example, but in general such features is possibly what LBArchitect can/might develop after it got it's core working as good and stable as it is now.

(I guess this discussion should be moved)

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-09-23, 15:22
Magic Ball Master

You mean craete the dialog interaction by itself?! Create part of code automatically?

I don't see much we can add in scripts. Its now difficult because we don't know everything about it. We didn't practice enough to know it. Its like when you start working in a new language, you must first understand it and with time you will know it better.

LBArchitect indeed need more features is most of scene and grid edition and not exactly in scripts, apart from making a live in-game script running.

Old 2008-09-23, 18:06
Magic Ball Master

Yes, create parts of code automatically, though, I'm gonna look at it deeper to see if it's neccesary/possible/useful etc.

I thought we had uncovered the whole LBA1 script system.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-10-19, 21:36
Neko

nah it is a bitch and I predicted it would slow down the Prequel...It's really something you need support for.
Old 2008-10-19, 21:44
Magic Ball Master

Maybe somebody has ideas about the LBA script system, but currently we can only wait for the help file which was said to be in progress.
Old 2008-10-19, 21:51
Magic Ball Master

Zink is currently improving the old Story Coder script help for LBArchitect new version. Isn't easy to make such help file since we must give examples on how to make that command work. By knowing the meaning of each command and see examples from the original game, we can start understanding better how it work and how we can code to make particularly things.

I made recently the Prequel script of the first in-game interaction between characters and it indeed take some time, but only in the beginning since few things wasn't yet clear.

Anyway, if anyone need help about the script, just ask

Old 2008-10-19, 23:21
Magic Ball Master

I tried architect somewhat and it was infuckingcredible

It's script editor has: INTELLIGENT Code completion (very good!), Automatic Intendation, Colouring and bolding, and ALL known commands have descriptions and parameter descriptions.

And a feature I'm working on (near-complete) is that you can have custom names for LABELs, so instead of

SETTRACK 237, you can write

SETTRACK AttackTwinsen.

Also he has now fixed Undo/Redo.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-10-22, 09:50
Polly parrot

Someone should post tutorials for the storycoder. It would help those who want to begin.
Old 2008-10-22, 16:27
Magic Ball Master

Story coder is deprecated.

Please instead use the better LBArchitect.

In fact Story Coder is in it's latest releases made to cooperate with LBArchitect, but since LBArchitect got story coding in-built Story Coder has been deprecated.

And as alexfont said. I think people asking questions is fine until help files is available for the modding programs.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-10-22, 20:54
Polly parrot

... All right...
Old 2008-10-28, 01:48

I couldn't make a scene work . Bet I have to wait untill the help files arrive.

Take a look at the blog!