Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > Little Script Adventure

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Little Script Adventure An open-source 3D engine with assets and tools for all future LBA fan-games.

Old 2011-11-28, 13:02
Free-lance designer

Send a message via ICQ to Horadrim
You might not like this, but I think that at this point, the menu got pretty ugly... I`m totally lost in it - it`s huge and I must scroll around it. I think that you`ll have to think how to make it more compact and handy. All properties could be sorted in one small window, be it floating or not. I know that it`s not as easy, as talking about it, but could you make it more "program like"? I mean - even if you make it like Blender (all properties at the bottom of the screen, with normal text and buttons, not using the game menu style). Other solution could be the floating windows and properties bars, like in Mac OS.
Old 2011-11-28, 15:22
Do the evolution.

Hmmm yeah, seems to me like a small window would be best - like a right click menu.
Old 2011-11-28, 15:38
Magic Ball Master

I thought you would be interested in the particles itself more than the GUI
Old 2011-11-28, 17:03
Free-lance designer

I`m pretty interested in them, but currently I can`t understand anything with this arrangement. I was also thinking to ask you if it`s possible to add a "follow path" feature to the particles (i.e. making the particles go up in a pattern, like weaving into a spiral or something else)?
Old 2011-11-28, 18:45
Magic Ball Master

Why not. The spiral movement would change acceleration so that it's always perpendicular to speed when looking scene from the top

Let me explain you a bit parameters
First you define which zone particles are emiting, either a disc, a rectangle, or a line.
Then you define geometry of these zones. For the disc, you can limit particles to emit between an inner radius and an outer radius.
For the rectangle you define width and length
For the line only the length
The emiter zone is centered with the icon position and takes in account orientation too.
Then, when emiter geometry is defined, comes the flow. The higher, the more particles are created. Make sure having this number as low as possible
Life time is self explanatory
Size is size of one particle
Speed is inside a cone, which angle can be adjusted. The lower, the more speed will follow the arrow you have drawn on the icon
Acceleration is set in scene basis. Thus gravity would be something like (0,0,-10). I just noticed you can't put negative numbers right now ...
Particles are always facing the camera, but can spin. It doesn't work yet, will enable it. Parameter is called rotation speed
Start color is color of particle when it's created, and end color when it dies. Color in interpolated between start and end time. You can also set transparency
Then you can setup either particle is glowing or not, it's the way particles colors are blended.
Finally you can change particle texture
Old 2011-11-28, 19:21
Magic Ball Master

an example of spiral here :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spiral.jpg‎
Views:	80
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	8996  
Old 2011-11-28, 19:47
Free-lance designer

How about double helix? Is it possible?
Old 2011-11-28, 20:22
Magic Ball Master

it's same than drawing above but with 2 particles emiters, with same position but arrows facing in oposite direction and why not 2 different colors
Old 2011-11-28, 20:33
Magic Ball Master

here is an example
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	particles2.jpg‎
Views:	73
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	8997  
Old 2011-11-28, 21:24
Free-lance designer

Perfect! We could now make "magic flow" emitters.
Old 2011-11-28, 21:27
Do the evolution.

hmm, could we have these as sliders?

I mean, you rightclick the emitter, and you see sliders/options on the left side of the screen - so you can have an unobstructed view of the particles as you fiddle with the settings.
Old 2011-11-28, 21:51
Magic Ball Master

another example
This one are 2 discs with almost same inner and outer radius so it's more a circle than a disc emitter

@Jasiek : isn't menu on half left side for you ? Should be this way since yesterday
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	particles3.jpg‎
Views:	73
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	8998  
Old 2011-11-29, 11:23
Magic Ball Master

updates on the GUI :
- reduced button height by 2
- you get a blinking cursor while selecting editable entries.
- editable entries have color to identify them better
Old 2011-11-29, 12:34
Free-lance designer

David, it`s the same thing for me :/ . I was hoping that you`ll make the menus, using the FLTK. A nice floating properties window will be absolutely marvelous.
Old 2011-11-29, 20:36
Magic Ball Master

I know it's not as friendly as a FLTK interface, but opengl GUI must be developed for the game so all the work I'm doing here on the editor can be reused later.
What I can do is reducing more menu size, I was thinking its width to be 1/4 instead of 1/2 of screen size, leaving 3/4 of scene visible. And why not let the user pan scene even when inside the menu.
Old 2011-11-30, 12:22
Free-lance designer

What more could be developed in this case? The game menu is done, looks great, but no matter how much you`re scaling it down, it won`t be as handy as a normal buttons/sliders and "type-in" menu :S . I thought that the goal is to have a handy (I dare say even ergonomic) and easy to use tool for our project. We already have much functionality, but squeezing it into something that`s not meant for it, is a pure torture. I understand that you want to develop a robust GUI for the game, but I beg you to listen to me and Jasiek and make the tools menus like they should be, be it with FLTK or other library. I`m sure that at one point, there should be added more stuff as functionality and everything will become hell. Then it`ll be twice or triple as nagging and time taking, to rework the menus, instead of doing them in the simple way in the beginning.
Old 2011-11-30, 18:00
Magic Ball Master

Then I will ask you to participate on the FLTK GUI design.
On their web page you will find a tool called FLUID which allows you to place widgets graphically.
Then save the framework and from it I can extract corresponding source code. Then I will have to connect this source code with viewer one, linking all widgets to right callbacks.
Old 2011-11-30, 19:01
Free-lance designer

Okay then, it`s settled .
Old 2011-12-01, 17:26
Free-lance designer

David, I`ve got a question. I`d like to make some tests with the menu window, but it seems that I`m missing something, I can`t compile it with Codeblocks. Could you give me a brief example how to compile it with codeblocks? I already have downloaded the LFTK sources.
Old 2011-12-01, 18:35
Magic Ball Master

The perspective map viewer is a good example I guess ?

trunk/web page/Perspective map viewer
Old 2011-12-01, 19:54
Free-lance designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The perspective map viewer is a good example I guess ?

trunk/web page/Perspective map viewer
I can`t compile it either, I`ve got these errors:

Code:
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp||In function 'void string_append_float(std::string&, float, std::string)':|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp|12|error: 'sprintf' was not declared in this scope|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp||In function 'void string_append_int(std::string&, int, std::string)':|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp|22|error: 'sprintf' was not declared in this scope|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp||In member function 'void VIRTUAL_FILE_WRITE_ONLY::writetofile()':|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp|49|error: 'fopen' was not declared in this scope|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp|50|error: 'fwrite' was not declared in this scope|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp|51|error: 'fclose' was not declared in this scope|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp||In constructor 'VIRTUAL_FILE_READ_ONLY::VIRTUAL_FILE_READ_ONLY(std::string)':|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp|83|error: 'fopen' was not declared in this scope|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp|84|error: 'SEEK_END' was not declared in this scope|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp|84|error: 'fseek' was not declared in this scope|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp|85|error: 'ftell' was not declared in this scope|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp|87|error: 'rewind' was not declared in this scope|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp|88|error: 'fread' was not declared in this scope|
 3D Projects\LSA\Perspective Map Viewer\modules\routine\virtual_file.cpp|90|error: 'fclose' was not declared in this scope|
||=== Build finished: 12 errors, 0 warnings ===|
Old 2011-12-01, 19:58
Magic Ball Master

do an update and open trunk/perspective map viewer.cbp
the project will go to find source here :
trunk/src/perspective map viewer

you just have to put your source here, and replace current one by yours in codeblocks tree
Old 2011-12-01, 21:15
Free-lance designer

I`m going to lose my mind... I don`t know what the hell is happening, but I can`t get it compiled or if it compiles, it doesn`t start, I don`t see any executables in the directory and on top of all, I could see that codeblocks says it compiled successfully.
Old 2011-12-01, 21:17
Magic Ball Master

let's chat a bit then
Old 2011-12-02, 13:35
Free-lance designer

David, did you try compiling the FLUID source with the exported main function? It doesn`t compile at me. If I remove it flom the FLUID and add it manually in codeblocks, it compiles... I see no differences between both, what I`m missing?

EDIT: Found out what`s the problem - it startis with void, instead of int. The void shit is added automatically and it seems that there`s no way to remove it .
EDIT2: Yay! I found out how to fix it, the code is OK now ^_^.

Last edited by Horadrim; 2011-12-02 at 14:24.

Tags
awesome, demo, engine, lba, lba1r, little bigger adventure, little script adventure, non profit, opengl, opensource, tools