Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > Little Script Adventure

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Little Script Adventure An open-source 3D engine with assets and tools for all future LBA fan-games.

Old 2011-12-09, 09:13
Magic Ball Master

Added some functions, and the list models feature

Old 2011-12-09, 13:54
Do the evolution.

I tried opening any map and it crashes.

See attachment.

EDIT:

Nevermind - Polish characters in my folder path name... shouldn't it disregard that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.png‎
Views:	102
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	9007  
Old 2011-12-09, 14:33
Free-lance designer

Send a message via ICQ to Horadrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Added some functions, and the list models feature
I made some new icons and overwrote the existing ones. Also fixed few captions of the buttons. It seems that you`ve duplicated the buttons and forgot to change the info :P .
Now, here comes one of the main reasons to ask you to implement a "choose from list" feature - could you make the objects nameable (re-nameable)? I know that the editor recognizes them by the names (i.e. box.000; box.001), so if it`s not possible to change a name of an object directly, I suppose it`s possible to add object alias names (i.e. lamp.001 alias "Blinking lamp"). As you see, the reason to ask you for this is to quickly recognize cloned objects, that have different function (i.e. the blinking lamp), amongst the list of all objects in the scene. Currently, all object naming organization is "computer friendly". What we need is a "human friendly" environment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture-1.jpg‎
Views:	134
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	9008  
Old 2011-12-12, 12:57
Magic Ball Master

Yes, there should be a tool to rename objects.
Also it's not a good idea to identify object type by its name, it was a quick and dirty way to do it. There will be a field to setup it.

Would be nice to have icons for for "File" menu items, so that I move them on toolbar.
Old 2011-12-12, 13:15
Free-lance designer

Quote:
Yes, there should be a tool to rename objects.
Also it's not a good idea to identify object type by its name, it was a quick and dirty way to do it. There will be a field to setup it.

Would be nice to have icons for for "File" menu items, so that I move them on toolbar.
I suppose that you need only open/save icons? I made a spotlight icon and was thinking... maybe I should make new object icons for the omni lights and the particle emitters, more simple looking.
Old 2011-12-12, 21:07
Do the evolution.

I wouldn't mind if the lights and particle emmiters had really long handles (like a thin long line with a box at the end that you can grab) sticking out of them. I've found a few times that when hidden/ burried in other objects they can be impossible to get out.

Or maybe we we need some sort of a mode where everything is transparent/wireframe and you can then handle lights/cameras/actors/triggers irrespective of all other geometry.

I was also thinking about making the levels from presets and of ways of making those and I think I could manage that for the most part. We could then use those with level heightmaps and a "mega texture".

Last edited by Jasiek; 2011-12-12 at 21:30.
Old 2011-12-13, 02:59
Free-lance designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
I wouldn't mind if the lights and particle emmiters had really long handles (like a thin long line with a box at the end that you can grab) sticking out of them. I've found a few times that when hidden/ burried in other objects they can be impossible to get out.

Or maybe we we need some sort of a mode where everything is transparent/wireframe and you can then handle lights/cameras/actors/triggers irrespective of all other geometry.

I was also thinking about making the levels from presets and of ways of making those and I think I could manage that for the most part. We could then use those with level heightmaps and a "mega texture".
Giving specific names to the objects and selecting them by this name, will solve all problems with the selection, although, I think that grouping and hiding objects when needed, will be in a great help indeed (the wireframe view, I think will be more easy to implement). Actually, the idea for it came just by the same way of thinking (i.e. how to select a buried down object in the scene). The very same feature proves to be very helpful in MAX.
Old 2011-12-13, 12:07
Magic Ball Master

The renaming thing will be on properties panel. I added the property window, with a few tabs, specially a particle PNG browser. It resizes and show PNG above a checkboard to see it better. You can't change folder, tell me if it's a problem
I just noticed image is correct size but not centered

Properties tabs will be filtered in function of model type, it's normal if you see a lot of them for the moment

Oh, editor is now editor.exe/cbp/fl

Last edited by David; 2011-12-13 at 12:16.
Old 2011-12-13, 12:25
Free-lance designer

The basic parameters tab is f**#ed up :/ . Now there are 3 "Basic parameters" tabs, instead of 1. I`ll rework it a bit.

EDIT: The view in the viewport looks very pixelated.
Old 2011-12-13, 12:36
Magic Ball Master

You didn't understand my last post
Basic parameter tab will be show/hidden in function of particle type. You'll never see the 3 of them. I didn't implement the filter yet
Old 2011-12-13, 12:43
Free-lance designer

Why bothering to implement such functions, when all the basic parameters could be in one tab and by using radio buttons, you could change the type of the emitter. The other parameters will be inactive. Clicking on the different radio buttons, could change the particle emitter in the viewport even. I`ll make 3 types of 3D icons for each emitter, so it could be recognizable even in the viewport.
Old 2011-12-13, 12:53
Magic Ball Master

Those tabs are not only for particles, but all the model types : spotlights, omnilights, characters, zones, triggers and much more. There will be tons of tabs, but depending on which is object type, you'll see only 3/4 of them
Also I don't like not seeing stuff in FLUID, using hide. Project is complex enough to hide stuff.
Old 2011-12-13, 12:57
Free-lance designer

Quote:
Also I don't like not seeing stuff in FLUID, using hide. Project is complex enough to hide stuff.
That`s why I proposed to make them inactive, instead of hidden. Using one and the same window for everything would be a mistake IMO. It`ll become overburdened with stuff and at some point it`ll be as hard to edit as if there are hidden stuff.
Old 2011-12-13, 13:12
Magic Ball Master

If you open fluid file, and look at tabs widget, you'll see it has a set of children which are groups, you can click on them on tree and all the widgets for those group are showing without any overlapping.
The unactive trick can be a solution to have all source geometry on a single tab yes. I will first setup the filter and we will decide. I will need it anyway for the next stuff
Old 2011-12-13, 13:46
Free-lance designer

Okay then. My intentions are just to make everything clean and tidy. :P
Old 2011-12-14, 15:16
Magic Ball Master

added the properties panel, wich can be hidden with a side button. I will add a vertical scroll too. You can see how tabs change in function of object type. Position/rot/scale are interactive
Old 2011-12-15, 17:35
Magic Ball Master

Finally I removed the tabs system. Tabs groups are still existing, but now they are piled up to form a vertical scrollable panel. They show/hide automatically, I guess that's user friendly now ?
Old 2011-12-15, 18:10
Free-lance designer

The side panel is too big. Except the hide function, it should be possible to be able to adjust manually it`s width.
Old 2011-12-16, 11:01
Magic Ball Master

should be better now
the basics value inputs (X,Y,Z,etc...) are sensitive to mouse drags. No need to write anymore ...
Old 2011-12-16, 13:05
Free-lance designer

It`s getting better and better . I was thinking, would you mind if I make new models (three to be precise) for the particle emitters and then you adding to them the scaling function, so when changing the properties, they change size too (i.e. the line emitter should stretch when changing the line length).
Old 2011-12-16, 13:23
Magic Ball Master

yes I can link those 2 values. Just make sure model width,length or diameter is 1.

I need some icons for moving, rotating, and scaling snap and also horizontal/vertical plane switch.
Old 2011-12-16, 15:57
Free-lance designer

Quote:
yes I can link those 2 values. Just make sure model width,length or diameter is 1.

I need some icons for moving, rotating, and scaling snap and also horizontal/vertical plane switch.
Why using vertical/horizontal switches? I was thinking, what if I make a 3D icon of XYZ coordinate system, it should appear at the base of each object when selected. Just positioning the cursor over the X, Y or Z should switch to the direction the object should move, the coord system selection could be similar to the highlight of the objects you`ve already implemented (i.e. the Z axis will not only lit up, but also will switch the vertical movement flag). I`ll make the icon with three sub objects, so the engine could determine which axis is selected. What do you think? The very same manner could be used for the rotating and scaling. You just need to link the already made functions to the icon sub object selection.
Old 2011-12-18, 13:26
Magic Ball Master

Already on it, see the picture attached

Each different color you see is a separated object. Rings are for rotate, arrows to move one axis, and discs to move on a plane

The gizmo you see is inside the crate, disabling depth sorting, but still you see there is some depth sorting between the different parts of the same gizmo. I think it's the best way to show it. Otherwise most of the time it would be hidden by the object it belongs too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gizmo.jpg‎
Views:	122
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	9010  

Last edited by David; 2011-12-18 at 13:46.
Old 2011-12-18, 15:44
Free-lance designer

Quote:
Already on it, see the picture attached

Each different color you see is a separated object. Rings are for rotate, arrows to move one axis, and discs to move on a plane

The gizmo you see is inside the crate, disabling depth sorting, but still you see there is some depth sorting between the different parts of the same gizmo. I think it's the best way to show it. Otherwise most of the time it would be hidden by the object it belongs too.
To be honest, I was going to suggest the "turn off depth sorting" thing, after we sort out the thing with the XYZ icons, but this time you forestalled me. Don`t hesitate to turn of the depth sorting for these icons at all. The same thing is used in all Pro programs.

EDIT: I think that after sorting out the minor problems and tunning out the properties of the editor, it`ll be a good thing if you add some "fixed" views as options (i.e. Top, Side/Left & Right), so we could have more precise control over the object positioning in the scene.

Last edited by Horadrim; 2011-12-18 at 15:49.
Old 2011-12-19, 09:59
Magic Ball Master

I've uploaded the gizmo thing
To see it, you have to open a scene from the File menu, not through the toolbar icon.
I wonder if it's possible to link 2 buttons callbacks ? So that I don't have to duplicate them like in this case, where I only updated one of them, the other open button is the old version which doesn't load gizmos.

Tags
awesome, demo, engine, lba, lba1r, little bigger adventure, little script adventure, non profit, opengl, opensource, tools