Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Projects > Little Script Adventure

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Little Script Adventure An open-source 3D engine with assets and tools for all future LBA fan-games.

Old 2010-09-22, 22:02
Magic Ball Master

Yeah I'll add the ocean. It's curious you see the water cause now I don't see it !
About your sig, the download link should be http://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=15567
Old 2010-09-22, 22:03
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by david38 View Post
done

F1=citadel_pharmacy
F2=citadel_nearpharmacy
F3=citadel_neartavern
F4=citadel_harbor
F5=citadel_warehouse
Warehouse crashed me the first time I selected it. It now works fine though. Looking good!

@Jasiek: Your sig should read Download.
Old 2010-09-22, 22:08
Do the evolution.

Oh right, thanks Kobold.

David I've been fiddling with the water and the shore line, and now it works for me.
Old 2010-09-22, 22:37
Magic Ball Master

can you see water kobold ?
I think I messed up something with last code revision
Old 2010-09-22, 22:40
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
can you see water kobold ?
I think I messed up something with last code revision
Nope, no water to be seen. It worked earlier, but not with the latest update.
Old 2010-09-22, 22:56
Magic Ball Master

I tried on 2 computer so far, and with Kobold that's 3, no water ...
So why do you see it Jasiek ? Special powers ?
Old 2010-09-23, 00:14
Do the evolution.

Well, check the linux executable I uploaded, files in /src are revision 462.
And it works.

Have a screenshot:

Last edited by Jasiek; 2010-09-23 at 00:30.
Old 2010-09-23, 01:58
Magic Level: Red Ball

Would you consider bump/normal mapping for the textures? Alot of models seems very "perfect" or flat.
Old 2010-09-23, 12:23
World Designer: Colozen

Send a message via MSN to DarkOnistar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
That gives me a prompt for a username and password.
Is that for using the SVN client? I'm using TortoiseSVN and I just right click inside any folder (namely a folder called "Little Script Adventure") and clicked 'Checkout', then I simply put the url in and let it download the files to the folder.

If its asking for a username / password then you might of clicked 'import' or something because I only get a password if I do that.
Lord of the rings / LBA2 Spoof videos
Old 2010-09-23, 15:21
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOnister View Post
Is that for using the SVN client? I'm using TortoiseSVN and I just right click inside any folder (namely a folder called "Little Script Adventure") and clicked 'Checkout', then I simply put the url in and let it download the files to the folder.

If its asking for a username / password then you might of clicked 'import' or something because I only get a password if I do that.
Yep.
Old 2010-09-24, 01:16

Loads of work, loads of changes, I think I've rewritten 70% of it all yet. Maybe even more. Driving close to a checkout point.
Old 2010-09-24, 20:01

OK, so here a few prelims of my changes:

- Under the hood it barely resembles the game anymore (EXPRIMENTAL)
- Few minor scripting API changes
- Less mature, probably a few more bugs
- Resource files (meshes, maps etc.) can be binary OR text (transparently)
- Gonna update the exporters to Blender 2.5
- Don't forget it's the old revision, the original version seems quite ahead of this one =)
- It definitely needs an editor soon. Problem is, if I start writing the editor as well, both projects will starve pretty quickly (speaking of experience). Need a volunteer who's willing to do the bulk of the GUI and doesn't mind if most of the work will be dumped later (experimental). What is the easiest way of writing GUI apps interfacing with C++? wxPython? In that case, I could at least try to do the basics.
- I could work with Horadrim providing the artwork. I think Jasiek is busy enough with the original version. We'll see.

I'm trying to have pretty much the same game as david38, just with some differences. Like co-operative sharing, let's say. Guess it's easier, cuz we both have quite different coding styles...

Last edited by Brafil; 2010-09-24 at 20:21.
Old 2010-09-25, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brafil View Post
Need a volunteer who's willing to do the bulk of the GUI and doesn't mind if most of the work will be dumped later (experimental). What is the easiest way of writing GUI apps interfacing with C++? wxPython? In that case, I could at least try to do the basics.
Since you're creating not a simple app, but a game, I think you should better use something like CEGUI, which is much more game-oriented than wxWidgets.
Old 2010-09-25, 12:40

Hmm. Afaik wxWidgets works well with OpenGL and it's more complete. CEGUI is designed for in-game GUIs, what I don't need. But wxPython looks really promising.

I guess I'll build a small palette editor first f.e.
Old 2010-09-25, 19:41
Free-lance designer

Send a message via ICQ to Horadrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brafil View Post
OK, so here a few prelims of my changes:

- Under the hood it barely resembles the game anymore (EXPRIMENTAL)
- Few minor scripting API changes
- Less mature, probably a few more bugs
- Resource files (meshes, maps etc.) can be binary OR text (transparently)
- Gonna update the exporters to Blender 2.5
- Don't forget it's the old revision, the original version seems quite ahead of this one =)
- It definitely needs an editor soon. Problem is, if I start writing the editor as well, both projects will starve pretty quickly (speaking of experience). Need a volunteer who's willing to do the bulk of the GUI and doesn't mind if most of the work will be dumped later (experimental). What is the easiest way of writing GUI apps interfacing with C++? wxPython? In that case, I could at least try to do the basics.
- I could work with Horadrim providing the artwork. I think Jasiek is busy enough with the original version. We'll see.

I'm trying to have pretty much the same game as david38, just with some differences. Like co-operative sharing, let's say. Guess it's easier, cuz we both have quite different coding styles...
That`s my point too. I could design the GUI (not program it alas) if you think to make a level editor (I support this idea with both hands up).
Old 2010-09-25, 21:32

Hmm... Is there much about editor design? I was thinking of something like the LBArchitect programs. Too sad it's written in delphi... Anyway, wxPython seems MUCH easier than wxWidgets.

EDIT: The headache comes from the C API.

Last edited by Brafil; 2010-09-26 at 00:17.
Old 2010-09-26, 11:22
Magic Ball Master

so you're making a remake of a remake ?
Old 2010-09-26, 13:41

Errr... seems so xD
Old 2010-09-26, 14:00

BTW, the editor will use blender to convert the models. This is easier since Blender supports a huge amount of file formats and scripts can be run from the command line.
Old 2010-09-26, 14:59

Quote:
so you're making a remake of a remake ?
David, it's just a separate branch of the project (which can be merged later back into trunk if you two will use at least basic subversion principles). If Brafil can improve something, he should do it - for the sake of progress.
There are many programming flaws in your code that require fixing: obsolete OpenGL features are used, like display lists, also there is no proper object-oriented game model (modular structure may be suitable for C apps, but not for C++ ones); content loading lacks flexibility, scripting is barely usable, and overall code quality is poor (I question not your coding abilities, but rather the style that you use to write code - if there is one at all)

Regarding OpenGL, display lists should be replaced with VBOs. Considering that all skinning is done in shader, that would be quite simple - you don't need to update these buffers.
As for content loading, you can either implement something like factory pattern - you separate asset loading from the asset class and create loaders for every asset type you want to use, - or create separate converter program to convert assets to some unified format.
Considering

Please, don't consider this post offensive in any way: I'm just trying to help and give some ideas.
Old 2010-09-26, 15:53

Well, my code is far from perfect as you described. I have no idea how to implement usable factories and scripting is not enabled in the moment. I was going to use display lists as well, since they are really fast, but maybe I'll use VBOs instead. And please don't forget that david has done an extraordinary amount of work for this, even if it means the code is messy. I do the same thing, then later on improve things.

Resources themselves define how they are loaded, so the classes have their own loading functions, just the basics are defined by the file class.

PS: Trying to get the import tile script working
Update: Can "import" tiles (blender->export to temporary file->load), but rendering them in PyOpenGL is quite difficult.

Last edited by Brafil; 2010-09-26 at 19:10.
Old 2010-09-26, 21:29

Still a way to go. The editor will require so far:

wxPython
PyOpenGL
Python Imaging Library

possibly numpy
Old 2010-09-27, 00:46

Update: using numpy, I managed to import meshes (+ export script for blender) and prerender them (for performance reasons). Textures aren't yet supported, coming soon tho.

Anyone wanting to provide new ideas for the scripting API? I'm still for the condition/action trigger system, what else would you like to have in scripts?
Old 2010-09-27, 01:24
Magic Ball Master

hey since you are making a different engine than mine, but using part of code + graphical I propose you write a thread in little script adventure section. That's gonna be a mess if we don't split.
And yes, I admit I'm using display list, my code is messy, loading time are long, script is missing etc etc. But it works and you know what ? I'm working for free. So stop whining
Old 2010-09-27, 02:23
Magic Ball Master

I solved the water problem, you should see wave correctly on both linux + XP now. linux needs compiling.
I added a fade away feature to maps. Borders are softly fading to black , you don't see the wave edges anymore
@Jasiek : the black box is not needed anymore as I changed background color. Also they generate huge shadows !

Tags
awesome, demo, engine, lba, lba1r, little bigger adventure, little script adventure, non profit, opengl, opensource, tools