Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > SpeedRunning > LBA1 Speedrunning
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

LBA1 Speedrunning Just how fast can LBA1 be done?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2016-08-18, 13:02
kash's Avatar
kash kash is offline
lba 4 life
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: switzerland
Posts: 60
citadel trick

Did you guys know about this cool trick?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2016-08-18, 16:41
MevX's Avatar
MevX MevX is offline
Amnesti
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Unity Island
Posts: 368
NO WAY!

I've discussed this area before, trying to come up with ways to skip the guards. The thing was i never found a way to climb up to those pipes, there was some theoretical stuff but nothing that actually worked in practise. Didnt expect it to be as easy as jumping the gate, the blocks are very deceiving in apperance indeed.

And i think this could save time as well, just because you exit through the trash chute, instead of having to pass the garbage truck. Obviously skipping the guards save time, it all depends on how well one could nail this trick. From the looks of it, maybe after practise it will be a strong time saver!

Good work as always
__________________
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2016-08-18, 16:44
MevX's Avatar
MevX MevX is offline
Amnesti
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Unity Island
Posts: 368
I'm gonna try it out, and see if i can save some time with it. I would call it pipe trick, but there's already something called that
__________________
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2016-08-18, 16:47
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
NO WAY !!!

That's so awesome! I've tried so much to use the pipe to escape the prison and it never worked. I always said to me that it was sure there's a way to do it as I knew the developer had put it there because they used that pipe to skip the prison.

Thanks man I'll have to practice this and eventually check if it saves time
__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2016-08-18, 16:48
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MevX View Post
I'm gonna try it out, and see if i can save some time with it. I would call it pipe trick, but there's already something called that
Just call this prison skip
__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2016-08-18, 16:51
serializer serializer is offline
Magic Level: Yellow Ball
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 47
Really good discovery! I guess this is the Citadel Pipe Trick? :P
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2016-08-18, 17:01
MevX's Avatar
MevX MevX is offline
Amnesti
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Unity Island
Posts: 368
It seems to have a hard setup, warping ontop of the roof. I'm currently trying to do the damn thing first, before finding a consistent way of doing it in the future.

Yea prison skip sounds better, citadel pipe trick works too
__________________
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2016-08-18, 19:18
kash's Avatar
kash kash is offline
lba 4 life
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: switzerland
Posts: 60
Thanks guys !
there is also this room, I wonder why it's shut at the beginning

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2016-08-18, 20:11
MevX's Avatar
MevX MevX is offline
Amnesti
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Unity Island
Posts: 368
kash do you have a specific setup to warp ontop of the prison roof, or was it only a random occurrence?
__________________
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2016-08-18, 21:38
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kash View Post
Thanks guys !
there is also this room, I wonder why it's shut at the beginning

https://youtu.be/C6DgbbV15_Y
That's pretty strange too, I have checked it in LBA Architect and saw it could be opened. Didn't it was by getting back in the prison

I guess it's there developer wanted to put Twinsen when he returns in the prison so the player would save some time but then it was a door so they didn't wanted to code more script so they just let it everything like it was.

It's my theory
__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2016-08-31, 23:27
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Just tried it a bunch of time and can't even do it. It's unfortunately unreliable until somoeone finds a pattern.
__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2016-08-31, 23:41
MevX's Avatar
MevX MevX is offline
Amnesti
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Unity Island
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22 View Post
Just tried it a bunch of time and can't even do it. It's unfortunately unreliable until somoeone finds a pattern.
Maybe we should check what kind of time save we have, before trying to find a pattern that would take alot of work to find at all.
__________________
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2016-09-01, 01:03
MevX's Avatar
MevX MevX is offline
Amnesti
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Unity Island
Posts: 368
i don't know about you guys, but maybe we should get some speedrunning competition going? i miss the times of watching an lba stream now and again, and i think bringing the speedrunning community together is important.
__________________
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2016-09-01, 05:55
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MevX View Post
i don't know about you guys, but maybe we should get some speedrunning competition going? i miss the times of watching an lba stream now and again, and i think bringing the speedrunning community together is important.
Yeah sure man but in summer in a new city, it's just beer party and everything else than time for streaming
__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2016-09-01, 11:33
MevX's Avatar
MevX MevX is offline
Amnesti
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Unity Island
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22 View Post
Yeah sure man but in summer in a new city, it's just beer party and everything else than time for streaming
maybe you should do some drunk streaming then
__________________
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2016-09-01, 17:11
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MevX View Post
maybe you should do some drunk streaming then
I have streamed yesterday btw, but it was a play through.
__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2016-09-04, 11:28
xesf's Avatar
xesf xesf is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dublin
Posts: 7,810
Nice way to escape the prison. I never saw that one before.
Impressive how we still find different ways to beat the game these days.
__________________
Personal Blog - blog.xesf.net

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]


The Sacred Carrot website
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2016-09-12, 23:33
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
I've tried many time again and still no luck in getting it done.

I've checked in LBA Architect and found out there's actually 3 blocks of height to access the top of the pipe. Twinsen can only jump 2 height of blocks. The place he's squashed in is just over the red line.

The pink blocks are the invisible blocks Twinsen is squashed in.

We would really need Zebra to check this out and try to find a consistent way.

And where the *** is Doc?!

__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2016-09-12, 23:39
MevX's Avatar
MevX MevX is offline
Amnesti
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Unity Island
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22 View Post
And where the *** is Doc?!
He's busy with some kind of virtual reality googles or something. Last time i saw him he was flying in 4k space, talking to himself over the computer.
__________________
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983

Last edited by MevX; 2016-09-12 at 23:46.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2016-09-12, 23:50
Homeless's Avatar
Homeless Homeless is offline
Zebrazilla
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22 View Post
I've tried many time again and still no luck in getting it done.

I've checked in LBA Architect and found out there's actually 3 blocks of height to access the top of the pipe. Twinsen can only jump 2 height of blocks. The place he's squashed in is just over the red line.

The pink blocks are the invisible blocks Twinsen is squashed in.

We would really need Zebra to check this out and try to find a consistent way.

And where the *** is Doc?!

I've tried to do this myself a few times after seeing Kash's video but have had no luck thusfar. Sseeing the video, seeing your picture of the blocks above the door as well as investigating briefly myself in LBArchitect, my best stab at understanding why this work is the following:
  • The door is a carrier object that more than likely extends slightly beyond the point of blocks above it
  • This would imply the jump needs to be very precise to actually land on the door and effectively "slide" in under the blocks which are above the door
  • Once on the door and below those blocks, we can do the same trick we do in Twinsen's basement for the museum trick. Whenever Twinsen is inside blocks like this it should be consistent enough to warp up onto the blocks above. I base this assumption on similar tricks I have found elsewhere in the game and also on Android.

So the trick really should, theoretically in my mind, be to get the jump onto the door just right. Looks like that may be tricky to get down but hopefully consistent enough. It definitely looks like a early run-killer though if we can't get this consistent enough. Not that it is too punishing seeing that it's so early.

I could be off though with my assumption that this is due to the door extending beyond the blocks, but it really is my best possible guess at this point.
__________________

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 2016-09-13, 00:48
gravel22's Avatar
gravel22 gravel22 is offline
FreemanQC
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 536
Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless View Post
I've tried to do this myself a few times after seeing Kash's video but have had no luck thusfar. Sseeing the video, seeing your picture of the blocks above the door as well as investigating briefly myself in LBArchitect, my best stab at understanding why this work is the following:
  • The door is a carrier object that more than likely extends slightly beyond the point of blocks above it
  • This would imply the jump needs to be very precise to actually land on the door and effectively "slide" in under the blocks which are above the door
  • Once on the door and below those blocks, we can do the same trick we do in Twinsen's basement for the museum trick. Whenever Twinsen is inside blocks like this it should be consistent enough to warp up onto the blocks above. I base this assumption on similar tricks I have found elsewhere in the game and also on Android.

So the trick really should, theoretically in my mind, be to get the jump onto the door just right. Looks like that may be tricky to get down but hopefully consistent enough. It definitely looks like a early run-killer though if we can't get this consistent enough. Not that it is too punishing seeing that it's so early.

I could be off though with my assumption that this is due to the door extending beyond the blocks, but it really is my best possible guess at this point.
Thanks for your quick reply, well I just checked in LBA architect in scene mode and the door is really under the blocks where we're standing. So I don't think it's that. How could the door pushes Twinsen if we can't touch the door?

__________________
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trick your brain DedalousDiggle Off topic 10 2004-11-10 15:17
The Rosa trick morshem General 23 2003-06-27 16:15
Meca-penguin trick Lucifer First aid 40 2002-08-05 23:11
the trick I used Urlar General 44 2002-07-18 22:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:02.


News Feed
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, the Magicball Network