Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2013-05-19, 21:22
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
I'd like to be able to test it with my disc but can't due to losing the disc during my multiple moves.
This is so sad! I had the same problem when I last moved and also lost my CD... I miss it so much =/

At least they released the GoG version and I could play it again much easier then downloading all the stuff I had the other time...
Old 2013-05-19, 22:20
<3 MP

Lol yeah. All within the past year I've moved from chicago to michigan back to chicago then to ohio and then back to chicago. and in the process my LBA disc went bye bye lol.
Old 2013-05-19, 22:23
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
Quote:
Lol yeah. All within the past year I've moved from chicago to michigan back to chicago then to ohio and then back to chicago. and in the process my LBA disc went bye bye lol.
my ps3 broken and kept the disk and sony never gave it back
Old 2013-05-19, 22:31
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Wow ... but why did you move so much? Did something bad happen?
Old 2013-05-20, 01:14
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
she moves so much because she's a spy, but if she told you, she'd have to kill you
Old 2013-05-20, 11:53
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Zee moves so much because she wants to find the disc back.
Her disc has gone a wizard-puzzle-bug on her.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2013-05-20, 20:04
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Mayeb I should test all the various version I have (European, US, Brazilian, Asian) of LBA 2 in a Virtual Machine to see which versions the bug is affected by.
Old 2013-05-21, 03:41
New efforts! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink View Post
I have never experienced this bug, though I have played LBA2 about 10 times on different computers and systems (and patches).

TheRealBlues, or anyone who has this bug almost every time, can you post here or send me ( [email address] ) your SCENE.HQR file, that is buggy? I would like too compare it to the better version.
Ok, attached. This one comes straight from my Twinsen's Odyssey CD (I believe it came with Creative Lab's Speakers, since it says on the cover "Offered only with Creative Labs products in North and South America, Australia and New Zealand.(Not to be distributed in Europe or Asia)" Maybe different versions experience the bug with different frequency.)

I'll also repeat that I had this bug playing on Windows 98 SE and Windows XP Home. I can't believe the CD still runs! It's insanely scratched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
I Never experienced this bug aswell. I played the Original CD Version and the GoG version, and both worked perfectly for me...

And, Necdilizor, What did you mean with "I have Twinsen's Odyssey instead of LBA2?"?
Does the North America version differ on something about the LBA2 version? Have they patched or added something that made the bug happen?
You know, they have different release dates and sometimes different regions have different versions of files. Maybe this is the case.

Quote:
You seem to have the same problem as I do with moving out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SCENE.zip‎ (458.2 KB, 87 views)

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2013-05-21, 07:56
Master of Degree

Necdilzor, thanks.

I have checked that place, and the scenes are slightly different there.

The not buggy scene.hqr file (from my own copy of the game) sets the game variable 195 to 1 to record that the wizards have been freed and the cage opened. If the variable is 1 at the scene load, the wizards puzzle will be already done.

The bugged scene.hqr (from Necdilzor) however, uses the game variable 194 in the exact same way. The problem here is that variable 194 is also used by another scene: Citadel Island, at the Sendell's Sign. I am not sure what it does exactly, but it is set to 1 if, at certain point of the story, you do an Action there, while standing at certain angle. It *may* be the point when you crash with the space shuttle, and do an Action near the wreck, but I'm not sure about that. So, if you have done the thing at the Sendell's Sign, then the variable is set to 1, and the wizards are already freed when you get to them. An obvious scripting bug.
Old 2013-05-21, 08:44
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Necdilzor: Check PM.

- Zink: Then it's a SCENE.HQR bug, and has nothing to do with FunnyFrog's patch.

BTW, anyone with the Australian or New Zealand versions of the game, please PM me as I'm missing these versions.
Old 2013-05-21, 08:55
Master of Degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
- Zink: Then it's a SCENE.HQR bug, and has nothing to do with FunnyFrog's patch.
Nor with hardware or system configuration.
Old 2013-05-21, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink View Post
Necdilzor, thanks.

I have checked that place, and the scenes are slightly different there.

The not buggy scene.hqr file (from my own copy of the game) sets the game variable 195 to 1 to record that the wizards have been freed and the cage opened. If the variable is 1 at the scene load, the wizards puzzle will be already done.

The bugged scene.hqr (from Necdilzor) however, uses the game variable 194 in the exact same way. The problem here is that variable 194 is also used by another scene: Citadel Island, at the Sendell's Sign. I am not sure what it does exactly, but it is set to 1 if, at certain point of the story, you do an Action there, while standing at certain angle. It *may* be the point when you crash with the space shuttle, and do an Action near the wreck, but I'm not sure about that. So, if you have done the thing at the Sendell's Sign, then the variable is set to 1, and the wizards are already freed when you get to them. An obvious scripting bug.
Great finding! It may be when you go to the shuttle and talk to Joey by doing action on the shuttle, since once you've done it you can't do it again. I always did that, I remember my sister never had this problem but I always did (except once, and thought that was the bug ). Playing the game without talking to Joey and then playing it talking to Joey could help clarify this. I'll do it (at least without talking to Joey) once I get some time, maybe next weekend.

Thanks Zink!

Take a look at the blog!

Old 2013-05-21, 16:59
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Thanks guys! This is amazing work. Now I understand.
I never talk to Joe when I crash the shuttle, or at least not in the same save I use to get to the statue, so obviously it doesn't happen with me, or the other people.

So I guess it could be solved by editing the bugged HQR file, changing from 194 to 195, and it's fixed. Right?

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items

Old 2013-05-21, 18:58
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by J McKalling View Post
I never talk to Joe when I crash the shuttle, or at least not in the same save I use to get to the statue, so obviously it doesn't happen with me, or the other people.

So I guess it could be solved by editing the bugged HQR file, changing from 194 to 195, and it's fixed. Right?
Or just use the scene.hqr from the European version. I guess it has the bug fixed, it's dated July 1997 and the US version's is dated June 1997.
Old 2013-05-21, 20:10
Magic Ball GrandMaster

I don't trust file mod dates. But anyway,
can anybody confirm replacing the file does work effectively?

Old 2013-05-22, 02:16
Welcome to Zirla!

Well the date output by the executable files (to screen for LBA2.DOS, to ADELINE.LOG for LBA2.EXE or TWINSEN.EXE) also shows that the European version is later than the US version, and according to that, the Virgin Interactive Asian English version is the latest.

The full order appears to be the following, from earliest to latest:
1. Activision US Version (LBA2.CFG Version 1);
2. Activision Brazilian Version (LBA2.CFG Version 1);
3. Electronic Arts European Version (LBA2.CFG Version 3);
4. Virgin Interactive Asian English Version (LBA2.CFG Version 5).

The LBA2.CFG version numbers also corroborate this timeline, especially considering the fact that only the Virgin Interactive Asian English version correctly recognizes Version 5 in LBA2.CFG as Virgin Interactive, the other 3 versions do not recognize it and thus load the default setting which is only Adeline logo, no distributor logo, and game name is LBA 2.

I still don't know what versions would be 2 and 4 (setting version to 2 gets you Activision/Twinsen's Odyssey, and setting it to 4 gets you Virgin Interactive/Twinsen's Odyssey), though I can only presume 2 would be the Australia/New Zealand version (Activision), while 4 would be the Japanese version, but then again, according to one website I found, the Japanese version was released in December 1997 by Activision (which contradicts the distributor logo in the LBA 2 Demo which shows it being distributed by Virgin Interactive) so maybe version 2 is Japanese then. But I'll know more one day when I somehow get a copy of the Australia/New Zealand version.
Though Necdilzor's Creative Labs CD does give a hint that the Australia/New Zealand version might indeed by version 1 as the Creative Labs CD groups it together with North and South America. But even for that I'll see when I get a copy of that version.

Edit: Zink's copy of the game is most certainly the European version so that would make the bug indeed fixed in the European version.

Last edited by Battler; 2013-05-22 at 02:26.
Old 2013-05-22, 02:46
Magic Ball Master

Quote:

I'm not entirely sure of what I'm saying here as I'm no codder or modder, but what I can say is that I ALWAYS talked to Joe after the shuttle crashed and I never had the bug.
Old 2013-05-22, 03:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
I'm not entirely sure of what I'm saying here as I'm no codder or modder, but what I can say is that I ALWAYS talked to Joe after the shuttle crashed and I never had the bug.
Talking to Joe or not (considering this as the cause for the bug of the wizards) is irrelevant if your SCENE.hqr file has the bug fixed .

EDIT: @Zink,Battler,*insert person with technical LBA2 knowledge*

I'm having some problems running the game on a netbook "natively" from a disc image I burned to play it on my netbook. Ignoring the fact that I may be able to get it to work, if I replace the SCENE.hqr of the GOG version (runs fine) with the one I attached, I should have the bug and be able to reproduce it, correct? (somehow I think I already know the answer)

Take a look at the blog!

Last edited by Necdilzor; 2013-05-22 at 03:55.
Old 2013-05-22, 07:04
<3 MP

I don't think talking to Joe has anything to do with the bug, as I never talked to Joe and still never got the bug.

Did we confim that the bug does happen with the GOG version? If so, I can do a run through the game today without talking to Joe and see if it happens. Just let me know if you guys want me to.

(Is the GOG version a rip from the US version or the European version?)

Last edited by Zee; 2013-05-22 at 07:17.
Old 2013-05-22, 07:37
Master of Degree

Quote:
Yes, but you have to edit it in the wizards scene only, not all occurrences.

Anyway, I am not sure if it is the Joe event that causes the bug. Other parts of the scene suggest that they are responsible for the Joe appearance, and the part containing var 194 looks like it is not connected with that event. But that would mean that there is another event involving doing Action at that spot while standing in a particular direction, that everyone does every time, so we should know what it would be...

Quote:
I don't trust file mod dates. But anyway,
can anybody confirm replacing the file does work effectively?
I think there were at least two confirmations already in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necdilzor View Post
I'm having some problems running the game on a netbook "natively" from a disc image I burned to play it on my netbook. Ignoring the fact that I may be able to get it to work, if I replace the SCENE.hqr of the GOG version (runs fine) with the one I attached, I should have the bug and be able to reproduce it, correct? (somehow I think I already know the answer)
The answer is... 42
I mean: yes!

For the game running problems, if you use Windows Vista or above, some CD emulation software may not work correctly with LBA (I think this is due to the virtual drive specifications, which make it appear as a disk drive, not as a CD drive to the game engine). If that's the problem, you may want to try another CD emulator. From my experience, MagicDisk works fine with LBA2.

Quote:
I don't think talking to Joe has anything to do with the bug, as I never talked to Joe and still never got the bug.
That's quote obvious, because the bug appears only if you talk to Joe.
What you said is like saying: Windows does not have any bugs, because I never used Windows and never experienced any bugs in it .

Quote:
Did we confim that the bug does happen with the GOG version? If so, I can do a run through the game today without talking to Joe and see if it happens.
I could check that if I had the scene.hqr from GOG version. Wait a second... I have the GOG version... I will check it later .
Old 2013-05-22, 07:41
<3 MP

Oh it appears if you do talk to Joe? My mistake. I misunderstood. I have however, talked to Joe and still never got the bug. I just normally skip talking to him since its irrelevant to the game.

Well if me running through the game is pointless then I suppose I'll skip doing it.
Old 2013-05-22, 07:52
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Quote:
Well if me running through the game is pointless then I suppose I'll skip doing it.
Don't imply it's useless to play the game

Old 2013-05-22, 07:54
<3 MP

Well I was only going to do it if it helped since I have more free time then I know what to do with. But it seems its not needed.
Old 2013-05-22, 08:29
<3 MP

@Battler: there is an Australian listing of lba2 on Ebay here if your interested.
Old 2013-05-22, 09:39
Master of Degree

Quote:
I have however, talked to Joe and still never got the bug.
Seems you have the fixed version then.