Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Games
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Games A forum for discussion of any demos and fan games being made. Not for discussion of Modifications.

Old 2013-01-30, 23:10
Previously Link

Her body is cool, yeah, looks like a MILF, but I'd give her hair a bit more volume...
Old 2013-03-05, 03:10
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Update

Hi Guys,
Now we are cooking!

As I was building the demo, I started to resent Blender Game Engine.
Not that it is a bad engine, but its just that it is a bit slow!
Originally I chose it because python was its scripting language, and it is awesome in that matter, but as game logic started to get thicker, the framerate started to get slimmer!
Sometimes It droped from 60fps to 15fps for no clear reason! And I have a decent machine. So I had to make a decision:
Keep on BGE and risk restricting the game to people with powerful machines or
switch to a dedicated engine.

So I chose switching to Unity3d.
The down side is obvious the need to learn C# and translate all scripts Ive coded so far.
The good news is that, I can use everything Ive made so far. And everything looks so much better now!

I invite you all to sneak peek what is about to come!
First Test on Unity 3d

So, I'm sorry it will take a little longer than expected for me to release something playable, but at least more people will be able to enjoy it AND the end result will be WAY better!

See you!
Old 2013-03-05, 10:50
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
That was the right decision. Looking forward to this
Old 2013-03-05, 11:32
Previously Link

Yep. Good move!
May the Sendells help you succeed with this project!
Old 2013-05-20, 05:22

Hell Yeah! Clones are Back!

Hi Guys, Long time no see!

Switching to Unity3D was really the best move!
The engine is fast and once you get used to it, its fast to develop!

I'm still deciding on the detail level I'm going to adopt for the game cause I want to take advantage of today's technologies and the ease of using blender and unity together but without loosing the look of the original games that we love!

Well, this is not much of an update, but the game logic is progressing and its being a lot of fun to develop.

So, to apologize for not giving much new information I leave you guys with these pictures from my Sphero Clone Concepts!

See you soon!
Old 2013-05-20, 06:42
<3 MP

Thats the most badass looking sphero ever
Old 2013-05-20, 18:09
New efforts! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Thats the most badass looking sphero ever
Totally.

I like the spikes it has at the hands. Those clones were sometimes hard to beat.

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2013-05-28, 14:34
Magic Ball Master

How have I never seen this thread before?
Awesome job Hyberbatata, everything looks pretty good so far!

Have you finished the Health system already? If so, could we have a glimpse at it?
Old 2013-05-28, 15:15

Hi marcosmapf,

Sure! I'll try to post a video of it late tonight or maybe tomorrow depending if I can get some free time.
Old 2013-05-29, 18:09

Thumbs Up the Health System

Hi all,

For now the health system implemented is really quite simple. And I think it will fit the project quite nicely. Basically, every character class (both mob and player) have a 'basic health' and a 'current health' variable.
- When you create a new game, the current health is equal to the basic health.
- when you load a previously saved game, the current health is adjusted to the saved value.

The character classes also hold a method to adjust the current health. It can increase it or decrease it depending on the input value (so you can heal or take damage). On every frame the class checks is the current health value is above 0, f its 0 or below, it triggers another method to kill the character.

As how to visualize you current health, the health bar object just checks the current health value and updates its length accordingly.

- Fight modes are implemented for the magic ball and kicking an punching (no other weapon is implemented just yet).

Here is a short video of how it works in practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9zgz...ature=youtu.be

As far as Enemy AI goes, it may be 70% completed. Although the short videos does not represent it quite well. The enemy class has a finite state machine (FSM) that basically decides what the enemy will do. It decides how to atack based on the distance and random parameters to decide how to atack. If the player is far away it switches to an "Idle" state that decides if it will patroll, or move around the scene, or whatever you want it to do.
On the video, the idle state is just set to stand there and wait.

I Can't stress this enough but I must point out that the graphic interface is still quite raw, i'm not set on styles and how detailed it will look cause i dont wanna loose the nostalgic feel.

Thanks everyone for the input, and interest in this project.
I'm now, writing down the story line and script for the game and I hope I can deliver what i have in mind and it can measure up for the expectations!

But yeah! Now we can fight monsters, kill and die!
Old 2013-05-29, 20:23
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbatata View Post
Hi all,

For now the health system implemented is really quite simple. And I think it will fit the project quite nicely. Basically, every character class (both mob and player) have a 'basic health' and a 'current health' variable.
- When you create a new game, the current health is equal to the basic health.
- when you load a previously saved game, the current health is adjusted to the saved value.

The character classes also hold a method to adjust the current health. It can increase it or decrease it depending on the input value (so you can heal or take damage). On every frame the class checks is the current health value is above 0, f its 0 or below, it triggers another method to kill the character.

As how to visualize you current health, the health bar object just checks the current health value and updates its length accordingly.

- Fight modes are implemented for the magic ball and kicking an punching (no other weapon is implemented just yet).

Here is a short video of how it works in practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9zgz...ature=youtu.be

As far as Enemy AI goes, it may be 70% completed. Although the short videos does not represent it quite well. The enemy class has a finite state machine (FSM) that basically decides what the enemy will do. It decides how to atack based on the distance and random parameters to decide how to atack. If the player is far away it switches to an "Idle" state that decides if it will patroll, or move around the scene, or whatever you want it to do.
On the video, the idle state is just set to stand there and wait.

I Can't stress this enough but I must point out that the graphic interface is still quite raw, i'm not set on styles and how detailed it will look cause i dont wanna loose the nostalgic feel.

Thanks everyone for the input, and interest in this project.
I'm now, writing down the story line and script for the game and I hope I can deliver what i have in mind and it can measure up for the expectations!

But yeah! Now we can fight monsters, kill and die!
I can't watch the video just yet because I'm on my work, but I will as soon as I get home. How many enemies did you create already? And, do they have diferent diferent AIs, or do all of 'em have the same one?

Last edited by marcosmapf; 2013-05-29 at 20:50.
Old 2013-05-29, 20:47
<3 MP

The video had the Tralu in it. It looks pretty nice so far.
Old 2013-05-29, 20:48

Quote:
I can't watch the video just yet because I'm on my work, but I will as soon as I get home. How many enemies did you create already? And, do they have diferent diferent AIs, or does all of 'em have the same one?
Well, so far I have two enemies, that will be used as AI prototype for the rest. The Tralu and the sphero clone.

The AI will have the same outline for all enemies but with some key parameters customized for each kind of enemy.

Basically what will define the main behavior of the AI is another class that is attached to the character that sets some variables for the enemy like:
- is it aggressive (attack on sight), passive (do not attack but flees on hit) or reactive (attacks if attacked)? And how many different attacks does it have.
- is it pure melee, pure ranged or both?
- what will it do in idle stage (stay inactive, sleeps, patrols, walks around?

And some implementations to the base AI i'm planning like, chance of the character to flee if HP gets low or if the attack pattern changes with the HP level.

I dont plan on going any further on the AI complexity, unless I feel the game needs it when I start balance the game. But for now it is based on randomly choosing some parameters depending on some given conditions.
Old 2013-05-29, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
The video had the Tralu in it. It looks pretty nice so far.
Yeah, it is the Tralu! Thanks!
Old 2013-05-29, 20:54
Magic Ball Master

Could you make it so the monster have a chance to change his attack pattern depending on his current health? Like, if a Ranged/Melee Enemy is attackin melee but his health gets low, He dashes back (or just run) and turns to ranged attack? I think it would be a pretty neat adition if you haven't done so already
Old 2013-05-29, 21:54

Quote:
Could you make it so the monster have a chance to change his attack pattern depending on his current health? Like, if a Ranged/Melee Enemy is attackin melee but his health gets low, He dashes back (or just run) and turns to ranged attack? I think it would be a pretty neat adition if you haven't done so already
Sure, I've been planning this from the beginning, its not yet implemented but its only a few lines of code on top of the current one. no big deal.

But I haven't coded yet the running away, or dashing behavior.
Old 2013-05-30, 08:45
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbatata View Post
Sorry again if you already have this in mind but haven't implemented yet, but:

I just noticed something while watching the video and I would like to ask: is it possible for the same enemy to make diferent melee / ranged attacks (like swing his arm in a diferent way, or attack-kick Arthur), based on the last action OR what the player has last done? Don't get me wrong, it looks realy good, but it feels kinda.. Stale? It doesn't seem like the enemy reacts with the player, but instead that he just attacks the air and the player was unlucky to be passing by

Also, talking about reactions, you Should be punished by taking several hits at once; not only by losing health, but by getting knocked back or stunned. For exemple, take this scenario: The Tralu attacks Arthur 3 times in a row (a combo of punches) and then Arthur gets knocked back as consequence for not dodging. If the Tralu had, instead, used a power punch on his head, then Arthur would get stunned. Did you get what I'm trying to explain?

Basicaly, add some sort of Crowd Control that will make the combat more dificult

Oh, and some Enemy death animation aswell would be neat!

I'm just sending out ideas, sorry if you were already planning on adding most of 'em but I thought I could help with such things
Old 2013-05-30, 13:09

Hi marcosmapf,
Quote:
I just noticed something while watching the video and I would like to ask: is it possible for the same enemy to make diferent melee / ranged attacks (like swing his arm in a diferent way, or attack-kick Arthur), based on the last action OR what the player has last done? Don't get me wrong, it looks realy good, but it feels kinda.. Stale? It doesn't seem like the enemy reacts with the player, but instead that he just attacks the air and the player was unlucky to be passing by
Well, in fact it can change attacks, in the videos i used the same animation as a place holder, just to test the FSM and the decision method. I have to check why it didnt, but once it decides to go melee, it was also supposed to chase the player, I may have disabled it while I was testing other stuff.

Quote:
Also, talking about reactions, you Should be punished by taking several hits at once; not only by losing health, but by getting knocked back or stunned. For exemple, take this scenario: The Tralu attacks Arthur 3 times in a row (a combo of punches) and then Arthur gets knocked back as consequence for not dodging. If the Tralu had, instead, used a power punch on his head, then Arthur would get stunned. Did you get what I'm trying to explain?
Well, I have tested the knockback penalty and works nicely and will be implemented as default for every hit. Also, as a penalty, when you get hit you wont be able to control the character for a moment. But I never thought about a combo! I'll think about it, its a good Idea! Thanks!

Quote:
Oh, and some Enemy death animation aswell would be neat!
Oh! You can expect one! I already have one for the sphero, and every race will get at least one! For sure!

Overall, the mai point I see is to improve the reaction of the enemy to the player, make it more interesting, dynamic and challenging!

Thanks!
Old 2013-05-30, 13:23

The AI/Combat AI is, for me, the most difficult part, and I thank any Ideas you all might have! And also coding ideas (Im not a programmer, just started learning a few months ago).
Old 2013-05-30, 21:26
Magic Ball Master

Did you teach yourself how to code? If so, you're doing an awesome job for a rookie
Old 2013-06-02, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
Did you teach yourself how to code? If so, you're doing an awesome job for a rookie
Yeah, I'm still teaching myself.
So, this is not a project that I'll be able to finish very quickly!

Old 2013-11-02, 02:21

A View from the Docks

Just a quick pic
Old 2013-11-02, 04:17
Magic Ball Master

Looks like you are still into the project! Its been so long since we heard news from you =P

Looks amazing, but I think things are probably too "Square-ish"?
Also, what is your point in the project now? What have you done alraedy? Is there anything a non-programmer can do to help?
Old 2013-11-07, 21:35
Banned

Looking good.
Old 2014-01-30, 12:50

Yeah, But I've changed a lot of the design. New textures and new models. Now I'm working on the basics like entering buildings, sound and things like that.
But most important, and what is basically what is halting progress is the game script.
I'm still not sure how long I'll make it, mostly because the story i created could make the game quite long and I want to make it simple (its a one man job).
Because of work, its been a couple months I dont do anything new on the game other than model some stuff for the game.
Also I need to come up with some puzzles (suggestions will be welcome).

well,
that is it for now