Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-06-18, 19:16
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Personally untill i see transparency like i do in open source software like android and linux based systems, i wont be super thrilled to say the least
Old 2013-06-18, 19:16
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marker88 View Post
"Corporations are people. Of course they are" - Mitt Romney
Okay, but that means that a corporation and its product are two distinct things, doesn't it ?
Old 2013-06-18, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Okay, but that means that a corporation and its product are two distinct things, doesn't it ?
true, but once again if its made by the same "person" its any product gonna have consistencies. Eg Apple products are gonna have IOS (another rant for another time), and EA products will have DRM, its reasonsing based on predictions. Will i be wrong sometimes? Sure and i can admit to that, but i havn't seen anything that breaks the mold enough to convince me.
Old 2013-06-18, 20:01
Polly parrot

Hm... Okay then
I'm just heavily again generalisations
Old 2013-06-18, 22:38
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Microsoft has done some very dodgy things, but then, so has Sony.
Nintendos the only one relatively clean really....but thats probably just because their products don't have much scope for dodgyness anyway :P
Old 2013-06-18, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Nintendos the only one relatively clean really....but thats probably just because their products don't have much scope for dodgyness anyway :P
thats why last gen i only bought a wii and this gen, only a wii u
Old 2013-06-19, 15:12
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
IIRC the only thing I remember being problematic was that proposed (side note: did it ever make it into production?) Wii baby monitor-type microphone for online communication. I recall concerns that it would broadcast everything in a room rather than just the people playing the game. Obviously insignificant by comparison, but that's the closest I could come up with.

Incidentally, even with traditional gaming headsets, it is still a 'joy' to hear what happens in some peoples homes.
Old 2013-06-19, 16:11
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
There was a Wii mic in some territorys indeed - it wasn't a headset at all, but rather a directional mic on the tv. The idea was anyone in front of the screen could chat.
Was hardly used, of course.
The original Nintendo DS had a similar barely used mic port, incidentally.

One other thing Nintendo did I guess would be when they removed mp3 playback from the Wii photo channel. While not many people cared, thats still pretty bad as its changing a products features after you bought it.
Like when Sony removed Linux from the ps3.
Old 2013-06-19, 16:43
Polly parrot

You can use the mic on the ds to chat in pokemon with people that are in your friend book.
Old 2013-06-20, 15:01
Polly parrot

Well, that wasn't long : Microsoft abandons Xbox One used-game and DRM polices.

Also found this on the same site : Valve may enable game sharing on Steam

That's bold I must say, if they do that, there'll be a heck lot of sites dedicated to game sharing, the sales may drop...
I've always liked how Valve treats its gaming stuff... Allow the game to be modable and recruiting the guys doing the most popular mods... Who else ever did that

Old 2013-06-20, 15:18
Magic Ball Master

Quote:

That's bold I must say, if they do that, there'll be a heck lot of sites dedicated to game sharing, the sales may drop...
For everybody but the biggest names in any industry, unlimited sharing is good.

E.g. for movies:
Quote:
Researchers from the Munich School of Management and the Copenhagen Business School suggest that the shutdown of Megaupload had an impact on box office sales.

The research investigated box office sales over a five-year period covering 1,344 released movies in 49 countries. According to their findings, overall movie revenues decreased following the shutdown, but smaller and major movie releases were affected in different ways:

"[…] the shutdown had a negative, yet in some cases insignificant effect on box office revenues." Not all movies were negatively affected: "For blockbusters (shown on more than 500 screens) the sign is positive (and significant, depending on the specification)."

The finding that blockbusters were positively affected by the Megaupload shutdown opens the door for a wide range of speculation, without any clear-cut explanation. However, the researchers offered this version:

"Our counterintuitive finding may suggest support for the theoretical perspective of (social) network effects where file-sharing acts as a mechanism to spread information about a good from consumers with zero or low willingness to pay to users with high willingness to pay. The information-spreading effect of illegal downloads seems to be especially important for movies with smaller audiences."

If that is the case, then we could conclude that the word-of-mouth engine promoted by Megaupload especially benefited smaller productions that don't have access to the marketing resources of larger movies.
Old 2013-06-20, 16:28
Classic

Movies and games cant be compared that way though, theres a lot of big differences.
For one thing, games typically have demo's - they give a wayyyy better and more honest impression then movie trailers.

Also theres a little physiological difference; people downloading know that if they enjoy something they should pay for it. They know they still "owe" something.

If you can legally share a game, that psychological debt isnt there I think. Your ethics are cleared of responsibility.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2013-06-20 at 16:34.
Old 2013-06-20, 16:37
Classic

Quote:
Yes - I think a lot of people suspected this would happen. But this quickly is amazing.
Heads are going to role at microsoft I think, as this was a lot of investment suddenly gone down the drain for them. DRM isnt just hated, but also hard to implement well. This wasn't some casual thing they slapped on, but a major thing they worked on for a few years and now have to chuck away.
Excuse me..
Old 2013-06-20, 17:00
Previously Link

Quote:
Movies and games cant be compared that way though, theres a lot of big differences.
For one thing, games typically have demo's - they give a wayyyy better and more honest impression then movie trailers.

Also theres a little physiological difference; people downloading know that if they enjoy something they should pay for it. They know they still "owe" something.

If you can legally share a game, that psychological debt isnt there I think. Your ethics are cleared of responsibility.
Do many games have demo's these days? I think it is only a minority of them (I might be wrong since I don't play much).

Besides, I think there's always a category of people which isn't concerned with ethics and wouldn't buy the game no matter what, and there's another category that is willing to pay the authors no matter what (donations and kickstarters are systems that work).

If you allow sharing, it only affects the people in between, if the rules are designed properly, they will surely make it so that sharing too extensively is impossible or find a way to make you feel guilty about it.

Beyond the risk, there's also something to gain: more sharing means more spreading, and more spreading means reaching more people that ARE willing to pay anyway.
Old 2013-06-20, 17:12
Polly parrot

True, I had no intent to buy or even try Reus, but my cousin got it, and it seems interesting, I'd try it out.

Quote:
DRM isnt just hated, but also hard to implement well. This wasn't some casual thing they slapped on, but a major thing they worked on for a few years and now have to chuck away.
Why can I only feel like this is incredibly awesome
Old 2013-06-20, 18:19
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
You can use the mic on the ds to chat in pokemon with people that are in your friend book.
Not only that, there are several games that use the DS Mic, such as Bowser's Inside Story

Quote:

I can't agree more with you. I don't know about everyone else, but I do feel very guilty when a game is good and I downloaded it. Although I hardly buy those games, because prices here are ridiculous, I do feel like I shoud

Quote:
Yes - I think a lot of people suspected this would happen. But this quickly is amazing.
Heads are going to role at microsoft I think, as this was a lot of investment suddenly gone down the drain for them. DRM isnt just hated, but also hard to implement well. This wasn't some casual thing they slapped on, but a major thing they worked on for a few years and now have to chuck away.
Excuse me..
They deserve to lose all that time and money. They are the ones that tried to (sorry for the bad word) F*ck us in the first place, and now that Microsoft realized they've done a bad thing they are trying to hide the trail. But we gamers won't ever forget that. The company that betrayed us all.

Last edited by marcosmapf; 2013-06-20 at 18:30.
Old 2013-06-20, 18:24
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
Not only that, there are several games that use the DS Mic, such as Bowser's Inside Story
God! Don't remind me of that. I'm still stuck at that stupid Train boss, and always get hoarse when I try it.
Old 2013-06-20, 18:35
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
God! Don't remind me of that. I'm still stuck at that stupid Train boss, and always get hoarse when I try it.
Lol but that game was so easy... And I killed that boss in the 2nd try
Old 2013-06-20, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Do many games have demo's these days? I think it is only a minority of them (I might be wrong since I don't play much).
yes, well sorta, indie games and sometimes AAA games have public alphas or public betas.

Ya know, to throw away months of work so quickly seems suspicious to me, yes it would've drastically killed their sales if they went through with it, but i honestly think this was either a publicity stunt, or something at the R&D lab failed
Old 2013-06-20, 19:10
Classic

Lots of games still have demos of some sort - but they come in a few forms now;

- traditional short samples (Arkham Asylum,Left 4 Dead,Mass Effect 3...off the top of my head all had demos)

- free weekends on steam. (normally 2-3 each weekend these days)

- time-limited things on streaming systems such as OnLive. (which has a pretty big selection now)

- Pretty much all kickstarter games have alphas/betas.

Also consoles have finally got demos in the last few years. At least, the 3DS has a nice selection Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Fire Emblem - most big releases atm get a demo.
Its only really the Mario and Zeldas noticeable by their absence.

Chances are, if you are unsure of a game, you can get a pretty good impression of it yourself these days without having to relay on reviews and previews. (which can be very biased,crappy and uninformed - IGN looking at you here :P)

Compared to films....which typically just have a few minutes of cookie-cutter template trailer to judge it on....its much harder to be tricked into thinking a crappy thing is actually good.

Quote:
Ya know, to throw away months of work so quickly seems suspicious to me, yes it would've drastically killed their sales if they went through with it, but i honestly think this was either a publicity stunt, or something at the R&D lab failed
I think some higher up at microsoft spotted the insanely bad press, and the 800% jump in WiiU sales on Amazon and ordered a 180 degree policy change.
Theres going to be a lot of buck-passing and blaming going around internally I bet.

The people actually making the DRM system probably knew it would be a disaster - Id guess the people that thought it was a good idea were some sort of middle-management that dealt a lot with publishers and not with consumers.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2013-06-20 at 19:42.
Old 2013-06-20, 22:04
Magic Ball Master

On Live? Lol. That one is exclusive to the US, the UK and ... Belgium.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:21
Classic

I use OnLive in the netherlands just fine :P

But ok, theres also Gaikai which supports a lot more countries.
Old 2013-06-21, 00:47
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
Quote:
What Exactly are you talking about?
Old 2013-06-21, 02:24
Classic

For Sony? secuROM would be their biggest serious thing they did wrong.
Basically a decade back they put software on their music CDs that if used in a PC would secretly install itself and prevent you ripping them - worse - it broke quite a few peoples pcs.

Sony's funniest "dodgy thing" however, is they invented a fake movie critic just to promote their movies (you know the quotes you see on posters - they invented a guy just to have fake quotes )
Old 2013-06-21, 03:18
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Sony's funniest "dodgy thing" however, is they invented a fake movie critic just to promote their movies (you know the quotes you see on posters - they invented a guy just to have fake quotes )
I belive this, but how would you know? And can you provide us with proof?

Btw, What happened with all those emoticons that were going to be added in here?