Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2010-12-23, 18:41
Polly parrot

Battle tag review

I found this review on "Blistered Thumbs". I don't like the style of the video, but it's good to have something like this.
Quote:
Angry Joe and friends review Ubisoft’s Battle Tag, the next generation of laser tag that had people scratching their heads at E3 2010. Poor show reception aside, does it take laser tag to the next level and deliver on its promises?
http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2010/...le-tag-review/
Old 2010-12-23, 21:34
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Hay, thanks for the headsup

Shame it went wrong for them, as its hard to get an idea of its quality from that sample.
They really should have contacted their PR contact first though, of course the phone help was useless...they always are :P

Last edited by Darkflame; 2010-12-24 at 20:00.
Old 2010-12-28, 21:32
the legend

I've watched several trailers of battle tag, the full E3 press conference, the making-of (with Fred!), and this review, and I must say I'm quite puzzled about this product.

The main idea is very cool - a "real-life" FPS game - however it was not done very well methinks.

All trailers feel terribly awkward. Specially that one with teens instead of small kids, really, noone of that age would play with it in such a small area, with such "movie-like" movements and stuff; For small kids it looks real fun, but the trailer is awkward too, I hate how it desperately tries to be cool instead of just showing how fun it can actually be (ie: less fake speed and action, and more hiding, stealth, tactics, etc. You barely see anyone trying to really hide from getting shot).

The making of has some nice scenes of the production, but the speeches look a bit nervous.

The E3 conference, well, I have to admit those were some really attractive models running with guns there dressed like Star Trek crew. Appart from the also awkward performance of the game, that host was a complete jerk, and it was a pity Gael, the creator, couldn't speak more of the product.

I liked this review by Angry Joe. There were some really funny bits (playing alone hahaha), and he took the whole matter quite lightly.

I think we can get the idea of the potential of this game. In the future, after many versions, with a sophisticated aiming sensor, many weapon models, different ammo, long-range sniper rifles, target sensors for different parts of the body with different scores and damage for each part (including the infamous "headshot"), there could even be vests you pick up to add armour (which, let's say, can only be affected by AP bullets else damage is reduced by 50%, etc), and dedicated playground areas like we see for paintball today, it will probably be the best FPS around, better than playing with water guns, airsoft or paintball itself. It is clean fun, and infinite. You don't waste ammo, you don't get dirty, and no risk of injury at all. This is just an early Beta of all that. Imagine entering a place where you play a real life Team Fortress, with the actual fortresses and scenario and gameplay, with capture the flag, etc, where you don't even depend on having friends to play with - everything is identical to playing online, except you go to a real place where they have it all, using these technologies. It would be like the disneyland of FPS.

Far-fetched?

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2010-12-29, 12:24
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Not far fetched at all...a generic AR headset could do most of that though, as soon as they become small/practical enough (ar ftw!).
Even moderately decent image recognition could probably pick out a head-shot if the guns themselves had a camera in them. Give it a few years really.

Seriously though, due to poor trailers and this, we still dont really have a good impression of its technical abilitys.
The software is fully updateable with new games etc, so I can see much potential even with the same hardware. I suspect the coolest stuff will be done by modders however.

Imagine using it with one of these;

http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/usa/
Someone controls that ardrone, which can drop bombs on the other players, who meanwhile are trying to shoot it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ardrone.jpg‎
Views:	169
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	8588  

Last edited by Darkflame; 2010-12-29 at 21:07.
Old 2010-12-29, 20:56
Magic Ball Master

Epic fail?
Old 2010-12-29, 21:07
Classic

not really, no.
More "to be determined" or maybe even "moderate fail"

(whoops, didnt mean to do an image so big...)
Old 2011-01-01, 21:06
LOLwut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Epic fail?
Battle tag or that DF pic???

Old 2011-01-01, 21:23
Magic Ball Master

I just get a AR Drone last week. Its coming from France, and I should receive it next week. I will tell you my input when it arrive.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2011-01-02, 00:42
Classic

Fantasic. Hopefully you wont have the same problems Angry Joe did.