Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2015-02-16, 15:32
Polaris's Avatar
Polaris Polaris is offline
Polly parrot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tippett Island
Posts: 5,910
Producers,Payments & PayPall

Bah, I don't like that guy anyway since he decided to take off the lba ost from the GoG bonuses and decided to sell it for more than the game itself
__________________
<((((((((((((([[[========================]]])))))))))))))>
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2015-02-16, 17:55
Darkflame's Avatar
Darkflame Darkflame is offline
Classic
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sol, Earth, NL
Posts: 23,794
Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
yeah, but to be fair I must have listened to the LBA tracks about a million times more then I heard them in the game :P
__________________
http://fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
-
Phones & Tricorders & Blobs & Bombs & 3D Printers & TVIntros also;stuff
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2015-02-16, 19:46
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
the legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 7,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Bah, I don't like that guy anyway since he decided to take off the lba ost from the GoG bonuses and decided to sell it for more than the game itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
yeah, but to be fair I must have listened to the LBA tracks about a million times more then I heard them in the game :P
__________________


Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2015-02-16, 20:08
Polaris's Avatar
Polaris Polaris is offline
Polly parrot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tippett Island
Posts: 5,910
NO ! NO, NO, NO ! NOT A WIN AT ALL

I'm not saying that his music is bad or that it wouldn't deserve more praise just... I have very free opinions about music.
I believe there should be no author's right, only matters who plays. But I can understand people disagreeing.
Furthermore, there should be no copyright, once you played a song, it should be considered as a common propriety of every living thing. As such, you can download it, re-use it any way you see fit (musician can still live of in a world like that, by playing concerts, like they always did). But I can see why that would piss off people.

But pulling away something you already bought, and selling the tracks of the game for MORE than the game itself, from wich you can extract the SAME tracks... That is just too dishonest in my opinion.

And everytime this subject comes up, I don't understand why everyone seems to find this perfectly normal
__________________
<((((((((((((([[[========================]]])))))))))))))>
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2015-02-16, 20:18
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
the legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 7,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
But pulling away something you already bought, and selling the tracks of the game for MORE than the game itself, from wich you can extract the SAME tracks... That is just too dishonest in my opinion.[/SIZE]
1 . You don't know if this was his own, personal decision, right from the mouth of Philippe. Maybe it was GoG's, maybe it was iTunes, maybe his publisher, lawyer, whoever. Can you confirm it was his decision?

2. I've ripped my soundtrack from my original CDs, so I understand the feeling that if you bought the game you "deserve" to have the soundtracks. BUT, I recall it was being sold in iTunes for some time before the release of the GoG version - therefore how could it be fair for fans who bought the iTunes version, to later found out they could have gotten the game too for less money? I'm sure that, if anything, it was a decision made to honour those who paid and bought on iTunes.

3. The music is good on itself.

4 (aka 3.5). The music is so good, that, even if you didn't play the games, it's still worth the money. And if you did buy the game, then you already got that music while playing. If you want to listen to such masterpieces separately, it's entirely fair for you to pay for the music, not bundle music+game, since both products are entirely good products on their own.
__________________


Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2015-02-17, 10:56
Polaris's Avatar
Polaris Polaris is offline
Polly parrot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tippett Island
Posts: 5,910
Giving that the original team got the rights back, I think he had to agree at some point...
Are you sure the soundtrack was being sold on itunes before the game appearing on GoG ? I don't remember it that way

Again, I don't want to minimize its work, but there are other solutions, a tip system, or I don't know... But [insert previous post here].
__________________
<((((((((((((([[[========================]]])))))))))))))>
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2015-02-17, 16:18
Darkflame's Avatar
Darkflame Darkflame is offline
Classic
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sol, Earth, NL
Posts: 23,794
Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Furthermore, there should be no copyright, once you played a song, it should be considered as a common propriety of every living thing. As such, you can download it, re-use it any way you see fit (musician can still live of in a world like that, by playing concerts, like they always did).
Doing a live performance is a different skill. Especially when a composer/sequencer is != a music player.
Not that there isnt plenty that do both. But not everyone can do live performances even if they could get gigs. So you cant expect them all to get money that way.

I perfectly understand the view that once you bought something once you shouldn't have to rebuy it though.
__________________
http://fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
-
Phones & Tricorders & Blobs & Bombs & 3D Printers & TVIntros also;stuff
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2015-02-18, 00:13
xesf's Avatar
xesf xesf is offline
Magic Ball Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dublin
Posts: 7,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Are you sure the soundtrack was being sold on itunes before the game appearing on GoG ? I don't remember it that way
Yep, it was there first.
__________________
LBA2Remake v0.4.0 released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 2 original engine for the web.
[Play on Browser]|[Changes]|[Github]


The Sacred Carrot website
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2015-02-18, 01:38
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
the legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 7,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
1 . You don't know if this was his own, personal decision, right from the mouth of Philippe. Maybe it was GoG's, maybe it was iTunes, maybe his publisher, lawyer, whoever. Can you confirm it was his decision?

2. I've ripped my soundtrack from my original CDs, so I understand the feeling that if you bought the game you "deserve" to have the soundtracks. BUT, I recall it was being sold in iTunes for some time before the release of the GoG version - therefore how could it be fair for fans who bought the iTunes version, to later found out they could have gotten the game too for less money? I'm sure that, if anything, it was a decision made to honour those who paid and bought on iTunes.

3. The music is good on itself.

4 (aka 3.5). The music is so good, that, even if you didn't play the games, it's still worth the money. And if you did buy the game, then you already got that music while playing. If you want to listen to such masterpieces separately, it's entirely fair for you to pay for the music, not bundle music+game, since both products are entirely good products on their own.
Oh and:

5. If we can help in any way for this man to make more amazing music to the world (not only for you - you and future generations), I don't care to pay 10 dollars more or whatnot.
__________________


Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2015-02-19, 01:32
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,332
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
First, I don't believe LBA 3 should be radically different from 1 and 2 just to cater to the masses. I'd like to see a LBA 3 that would keep the spirit of the original games.
There is also the fact that all the fancy ideas being floated around here would inevitably make the game require a high-end graphics card, etc. And everyone seems to be forgetting, we're in the middle of the world's worst economic crisis since that of 1929. You aren't expecting people who barely get by to update their hardware just to play a game, are you?
Now, you could make LBA 3 on an engine similar to that of, say, GTA: San Andreas, but with behaviors added and some stuff removed. That would be the best of both worlds - you update the game so it looks slightly more modern, while at the same time keep it playable for almost everyone.
I just don't get this Western tendency that the latest technology *MUST* be adopted just for the sake of adopting it, even if it brings no benefit, whatsoever, to the game. Why can the Japanese make excellent PC games that are playable on any OS and machine from 10 years ago to now, while here in the West, each new game alienates more and more players with the "omg upgrade your hardware NOW" attitude?
And if 2Dark adopt the same attitude, sorry, but I will have absolutely no problem sending monthly donations to some Russians to make a lower end remake of LBA 3. It's simple, if the authors of the original give me a message of "ha ha, who cares about you poor idiot, we only care about the rich who can afford getting a new high-end PC every year", ie. if they don't care about me and the millions like me on hardware which while reasonably modern, isn't exactly OMG the lastest, nor is it high end (it's entry-level really), why should I care about them?
I'd rather give my money, of which I already have a scarcity, to people who can demonstrate they care about me, than to people who care only about the rich.

Second, about the whole music thing.
First, people need to spare me this attitude of "not all musicians can perform live". Perform live means the ability to play an instrument and/or sing. A musician who can't do that, isn't a musician. I've frankly had enough of musically other abled drivel "musicians" such as Justin Bieber and One Direction who get fame just because they look cute and can move their rear ends well.
It's time to get back to real music, and I guess for that we need to bring the music industry back to when if you wanted to make your living from music, you had to have the ability to actually perform music.
Also, a musician who performs live *earns* their extra money, while someone who records an album then never moves a finger further but wants to profit endlessly from it, does not. A regular worker has to work at least 8:00 to 16:00 every day (that's 8 hours a day) to earn their pay, and the second they stop actually doing work, they will no longer earn a cent. On the other hand, most "musicians" want to only work for like a few months in the studio, then earn untold millions for life. And if you dare take that away from them, you are accused of causing them "loss of profit" (sorry pal, all you can demonstrate is *lack* of profit, to demonstrate loss you'd need to prove beyond reasonable doubt I would have bought your stuff in case piracy didn't exist, and that's crystal ball territory right there) and demand to pay back hundreds of thousands per song in damages. This is an authoritarian regime right there.

Now, as to this case in specific. Why does GoG need to be fair to iTunes users? Generally, iTunes users are wealthy enough to even afford Apple products in the first place, while GoG caters to just about everyone. By pulling his music off GoG and making it exclusive to iTunes, Vachey proved right there that he only cares about the wealthy and doesn't give a damn to millions of us who adore his music but aren't well off enough to afford Apple products, or you know, simply might want to spend less money anyway.
Dear Philippe, to force us to pay more for product from Apple that we could get for less from another company, just because *YOU* happen to be either an Apple fan, doing music for wealth rather than than passion, or both, is incredibly dishonest and portrays you as someone who, quite frankly, cares more about his own money and product preferences, than about his fans.
And I can just hope the rest of 2Dark/former Adeline is better than that. Because otherwise, I frankly see a LBA 3 that will require the latest high-end hardware, and as a result will be unplayable for 75% of the population.
Dear 2Dark/Adeline, please think of Japan where LBA 1 was popular enough to be ported to 3 or 4 different architectures! Please think of the former USSR where LBA 2 was popular enough to get at least 4 different Russian dubs! Please think of Southern, Central, and Eastern Europe which are struggling to get through this crisis and where it's hard for us to even a get a job! Please think about South America and Southern and Southeastern Asia! Please don't only think of Western Europe, Scandinavia, US, and Canada!
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2015-02-19, 03:35
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
the legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 7,201
Woah woah, hold it boy.


In the second paragraph, what you portray is partly true (over-simplified and without taking account loads of exceptions) however Vachey doesn't apply to that. You speak of the music industry. He is a soundtrack composer, he works in the backstage of the general public, he is not a performer, and that should be obvious. So none of what you said really applies to him. I'm pretty sure he can play music live if he wanted to, but that's just not his business, he is not an artist with record label.


Now for the third paragraph, like I said we don't know whose decision it was, so I'd refrain from publicly tainting someone's name like that until you have facts. How would you like me to accuse you of stuff based on the end result, not the process?


I've talked to him on facebook a few times and also follow his stuff and he really cares for the fans, he is very thankful, plays guitar, he is a good guy, and I'm certain there is good reason behind that decision, whoever made it. Also I don't think something being sold in iTunes has anything to do with being "Apple fans representatives of the wealth". You don't need an Apple device to buy music there. It's just a platform for music distribution like any other. Just like if LBA was sold on Steam for a higher price instead of GoG I don't think the LBA team should be tagged "representatives of the wealth", if something is worth the money, it's worth it, period.


PS: Are we seriously discussing this and calling him dishonest because of $6.93 + $8.91* ? If that's representing "wealth", wow, just wow.

* Are you also considering good part of that money goes to iTunes not himself?
__________________


Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2015-02-19 at 03:48.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2015-02-19, 03:44
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
the legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 7,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Bah, I don't like that guy anyway since he decided to take off the lba ost from the GoG bonuses and decided to sell it for more than the game itself
Shame on you Polly, for bringing in this sad topic into this thread with a biased, over simplified view on the subject.

#DissapointedWithPolly
#PollyWon'tGetCrackers
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2015-02-19, 19:45
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
the legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 7,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Et tu, Brute?
You've earned it, by repeatedly making aggressive, overreacted accusations and assumptions over someone whom I admire and consider, IMHO, to have made the best of the best compositions this world ever heard.
__________________


Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2015-02-19, 19:46
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,332
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- SpaceGuitarist: So having composed good music automatically exempes Vachey from all criticism? What the heck...

Edit: And "best of the best compositions this world ever heard."? Seriously? So he composed better music than Mozart, Strauss, Beetheoven, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Liszt, Chopin, Vivaldi, etc.? Sure, Vachey composed awesome music, but to call it the best of the best compositions this world has ever heard is ridiculous.
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2015-02-19, 20:01
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
the legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 7,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
- SpaceGuitarist: So having composed good music automatically exempes Vachey from all criticism? What the heck...
Flawed criticism, yes.

- You say he is not a real musician because he doesn't perform live, and that's just downright ridiculous;
- You say he sold himself when you don't know 1. Who chose iTunes 2. Why they chose iTunes
- You say he took town the soundtrack from GoG when you don't know 1. Who made this decision -was it iTunes? Was it a lawyer? Who?
- You forget his music in iTunes was there long before the release in GoG;
- You say he doesn't care for the fans and represents the "wealth and greedy", which is ridiculous since all his music will cost you less than 16 dollars (and that amount won't even go to him entirely);
- You attack people on this thread on a personal level.
__________________


Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2015-02-19, 20:04
Kasia's Avatar
Kasia Kasia is offline
~
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
to call it the best of the best compositions this world has ever heard is ridiculous.
Just as much ridiculous as saying that the best compositions came from "Mozart, Strauss, Beetheoven, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Liszt, Chopin, Vivaldi, etc.".
Does anyone have the authotity to judge something as complex as music? I don't think so.
Sure, we can appreciate a composer for his musical skills, but music is mostly about emotions and they're unmeasurable.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2015-02-19, 20:05
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
the legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 7,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
- SpaceGuitarist: So having composed good music automatically exempes Vachey from all criticism? What the heck...

Edit: And "best of the best compositions this world ever heard."? Seriously? So he composed better music than Mozart, Strauss, Beetheoven, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Liszt, Chopin, Vivaldi, etc.? Sure, Vachey composed awesome music, but to call it the best of the best compositions this world has ever heard is ridiculous.
Wow, now I'm not entitled to my own opinion? Can't I have my own musical taste?

Surely classical music is brilliant, genius, etc. But it does not inspire me like LBA's music does. Period. Do you even know the meaning of IMHO? so there.
__________________


Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2015-02-19, 20:17
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
the legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 7,201
Following your logic the best games in the world are Diablo, Battlefield and GTA. (or Chess and Poker if you count any game at all since ever).
__________________


Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2015-02-19, 20:23
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,332
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
- You say he is not a real musician because he doesn't perform live, and that's just downright ridiculous;
That wasn't addressed at him but at the modern music industry in general.

Quote:
- You say he sold himself when you don't know 1. Who chose iTunes 2. Why they chose iTunes
Well, considering he was the one who has (or had) the rights to his music, either he chose iTunes, or he gave the rights to his music to someone else and they chose iTunes. In the former case, he is directly responsible. In the latter case, he is indirectly responsible by signing off his rights.
Now, of course, maybe he gave his rights to someone else and didn't know what was going to happen. But in any case if he did give his rights to someone else, then it means the other 70% of the money I'd pay wouldn't go to him, or at least not completely.

Quote:
- You say he took town the soundtrack from GoG when you don't know 1. Who made this decision -was it iTunes? Was it a lawyer? Who?
I'm saying it was either him or someone he gave his rights to. Someone who doesn't have the rights to the music wouldn't even be in the position to demand a removal from GoG.

Quote:
- You forget his music in iTunes was there long before the release in GoG;
And? That isn't a justification for making it exclusive to iTunes.

Quote:
- You say he doesn't care for the fans and represents the "wealth and greedy", which is ridiculous since all his music will cost you less than 16 dollars (and that amount won't even go to him entirely);
First, "less than 16 dollars", you really think that's such a little amount who gets maybe €200 welfare a month of which most go to either welfare or parents?
Second, I shouldn't be forced to give money to Apple or any other corporation for that matter to get music by Phillipe Vachey. I should have to give money to Vachey and only to Vachey.
And to continue what I was saying above, I also shouldn't be forced to give money to any other 3rd party for music by Philippe Vachey.

Quote:
- You attack people on this thread on a personal level.
What? Where? The only case close to that was with Darkflame and I apologize for that. But even there, I attacked what I assumed was his stance on PayPal, I never said "Darkflame sucks, is gay and is a pedo" or something like that.

Quote:
Wow, now I'm not entitled to my own opinion? Can't I have my own musical taste?
You used your opinion of Vachey as a justification to attack me for my opinion on him. In other words, you outright said I have no right to criticise him because you think he's the best of the best. And I pointed you not everyone agrees with you, and to me, your opinion sounds probably as ridiculous as mine sounds to you.

Quote:
Surely classical music is brilliant, genius, etc. But it does not inspire me like LBA's music does. Period. Do you even know the meaning of IMHO? so there.
Yes, and I was stating my own opinion too. Yet it seems that whenever I dare state my own opinion about anything here, I always get berated for it simply because I dare have opinions not aligned with the mainstream.

Quote:
Does anyone have the authotity to judge something as complex as music? I don't think so.
Sure, we can appreciate a composer for his musical skills, but music is mostly about emotions and they're unmeasurable.
Exactly, everyone has their own opinions. So I would like it if people like SpaceGuitarist stopped demanding me to worship Vachey simply because they do.

Edit: Also, no. GTA is by far not the best. I merely used it as an example of how LBA 3 should look, as a counter-opinion to the wishes of Darkflame & co. who apparently want LBA 3 to adopt the very latest technology just for the sake of adopting it, screw anyone without the latest high-end hardware.
The best computer games are by far Tetris, Pac-man, Wolfenstein 3D, LBA 1, LBA 2, The Curse of Monkey Island, Normality, Transport Tycoon, Pizza Tycoon, Ghost Of The Old Park, Heroes of Might & Magic III., etc.
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2015-02-19, 21:40
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
the legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 7,201
Look. You come here, and every post of yours is an agressive bash to everything. You are angry with the world, that is obvious. You attack iTunes, Apple, USA, Paypal, Vachey, my musical tastes, everything. So if anyone's "attacking" here, it's you. Stop being an hypocrite.

You are not giving your "opinions", you are attacking everyone and everything with HUGE posts, and then in the end trying to make yourself a victim (and hey, isn't that what you did for the past 10 years, in every argument on the MBN?).

I just asked you to cool off and calm down. I'm defending Vachey with logic - because he is not here to defend himself. Essentially, I want you to respect Vachey, that is all. Noone asked you to like him, or like his music, much less worship - it's you who come here attacking him by assuming things, using words like "dishonest", "sold himself", "he doesn't care", and then attack ME ridiculing my musical taste.

So, YES, people WILL call you on your bullshit.
__________________


Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 2015-02-19, 22:55
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,332
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- SpaceGuitarist: First, I am entited to have my opinions and express them.
As for the USA, I hate it because they essentially turned Ukraine into a fascist state and the rest of Europe against Russia, something that bothers me for personal reasons I do not wish to discuss here.
As for iTunes, I simply don't like it because I don't like Apple. And I stated my reasons why. I don't need to like Apple.
As for PayPal, I attacked it? No, I simply said it's a problem that it's American. And that's because the US can and will use it to suppress people and organizations that use PayPal and are not comfortable to the US, such as WikiLeaks.
I was actually questioning Darkflame's what I perceived as undue criticism of PayPal (since I use PayPal and never had bad experiences with it), as well has his desire of how LBA 3 should be, but that doesn't mean I respect him less.
As for Vachey, you want me to respect him? Well, I do respect him for his work. However, I think some of his business choices are questionable and I expressed my distate for those choices and how they paint him. Did I exaggerate about him? Yes, I did, but come on, he's human like every one else, so if he does things that might look questionable, he needs to accept he will be criticized for it. Just like I accept being criticized for behaving badly.
As for your musical tastes, I already cleared that up. I did not attack your musical tastes, I attacked you using your musical tastes to justify getting pissed off at me and pointed out not everyone shares them.

Also, I'm a fucking victim? No, I'm pretty much not. I admit I've been a dick pretty much throughout this thread. And when did I ever play victim? Last I checked, I never had a problem admitted that I did shit in the past. My problem was only that it was always being rehashed on every opportunity and used to turn people against me. And has thankfully stopped now.
Also, I might, you know, have a reason to have the views I have, and another of my problem is that noone on this forum ever tried to understand that, and instead I get berated for not having this positivistic utopian view on the world everyone else here has.
Sure, you guys have your good lives, jobs, etc. I don't. I am unemployed, no idea if I'll ever get employed because the crisis seems to be only getting worse and worse, and to make it even worse, the fratricidal conflict in Ukraine (and the anti-Russian pushing) started last year which pisses me off for personal reasons I will not disclose here. So yes, right now, I have a negative view on the world. I ask you to respect it instead of trying to force me to make it positive.

Also, for your information, just because I think Vachey sold himself to a third party, it doesn't mean I respect him or his work less. It just means I'm pissed off at his business choices.
Fuck, I despite Brian May and Roger Taylor for over-commercializing Queen music in the last 15 years, but that doesn't make me less of a Queen fan. I still recognize Queen as among the best musicians of history, regardless of bad decisions taken some time after.
And the same goes for Philippe Vachey. I still adore his music, and think he's an awesome composer. I just think he made a terrible mistake to sign off his rights.
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 2015-02-19, 23:14
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
the legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 7,201
EVIDENCE A:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
I am entited to have my opinions and express them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
And "best of the best compositions this world ever heard."? Seriously? So he composed better music than Mozart, Strauss, Beetheoven, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Liszt, Chopin, Vivaldi, etc.? Sure, Vachey composed awesome music, but to call it the best of the best compositions this world has ever heard is ridiculous.
EVIDENCE B:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
And when did I ever play victim?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler
it seems that whenever I dare state my own opinion about anything here, I always get berated for it simply because I dare have opinions not aligned with the mainstream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler
Exactly, everyone has their own opinions. So I would like it if people like SpaceGuitarist stopped demanding me to worship Vachey simply because they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler
So yes, right now, I have a negative view on the world. I ask you to respect it instead of trying to force me to make it positive.
EVIDENCE C:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler
So yes, right now, I have a negative view on the world.
And yet, noone said you have to pour your negativity into any thread you find. This is about LBA 3. Keep your personal life outside the internet.

The only reason I derailed the topic to defend Vachey is because I find it inadmissable for people to publicly speak bad of him without reason. It's not a matter of "opinions" because:

1. He's not around to defend himself and tell the truth.
2. If noone really knows what happened, then let that matter be.
3. Everything else is assumptions.
4. Who cares? it's fucking 16 dollars. I'm sure people have done lot more evil in the music industry than this. So what he wanted to cash in a bit more with his work? It's not like he became a millionaire because of that. So I don't find that enough to call somebody dishonest.

I REST MY CASE.
__________________


Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 2015-02-19, 23:17
Kasia's Avatar
Kasia Kasia is offline
~
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 591
The second paragraph is very weird.
I believe your assumptions ("you guys have your good lives", "utopian view on the world everyone else here has") go definitely too far, especially considering the size of our community and its diversification.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 2015-02-19, 23:32
Battler's Avatar
Battler Battler is offline
Welcome to Zirla!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Koper, Slovenia
Posts: 5,332
Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
Quote:
And "best of the best compositions this world ever heard."? Seriously? So he composed better music than Mozart, Strauss, Beetheoven, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Liszt, Chopin, Vivaldi, etc.? Sure, Vachey composed awesome music, but to call it the best of the best compositions this world has ever heard is ridiculous.
This, my dear, is called me challenging your opinion with mine. Yes, in my opinion, saying that Vachey is the best of the best, is ridiculous. Now, in my opinion, saying he is among the best of the best, is actually something I agree with.

Quote:
it seems that whenever I dare state my own opinion about anything here, I always get berated for it simply because I dare have opinions not aligned with the mainstream.
Evidence B2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
And yet, noone said you have to pour your negativity into any thread you find. This is about LBA 3. Keep your personal life outside the internet.
I am told I am not allowed to express my opinions unless they are positive, happen to match yours, or both.
Basically, "do not express opinions I do not like/approve of". Welcome to North Korea, I guess.

Quote:
Exactly, everyone has their own opinions. So I would like it if people like SpaceGuitarist stopped demanding me to worship Vachey simply because they do.
Evidence B3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
The only reason I derailed the topic to defend Vachey is because I find it inadmissable for people to publicly speak bad of him. It's not a matter of "opinions" because:

1. He's not around to defend himself and tell the truth.
2. If noone really knows what happened, then let that matter be.
3. Everything else is assumptions.
4. Who cares? it's fucking 16 dollars. I'm sure people have done lot more evil in the music industry than this. So what he wanted to cash in a bit more with his work? It's not like he became a millionaire because of that. So I don't find that enough to call somebody dishonest.
So, you think this and noone is allowed to discuss it. How is that not demanding that people agree with your view on Vachey regarding this situation? Again, you said it there yourself, clearly and loydly, it's not a matter of "opinions". This translates to: I, SpaceGuitarist, hereby declare this to be the truth and allow noone to challenge that.
Your Honor, I think the case is clear here.

Quote:
1. He's not around to defend himself and tell the truth.
I will concede on that. We don't know exactly what happened so it's all speculation.
But the possible cases are still two:
1. He still has all his rights and therefore he or his lawyer ordered the takedown from GoG;
2. He has waived all or a part of his rights to a third party, and that third party or their lawyer ordered the takedown from GoG.
If 1 is the case, then we'd need to establish why he did it. If 2 is the case, we'd need to establish why he waived off all or a part of his rights.
I will concede that my accusations of dishonesty, etc. are groundless. I seriously hope I was wrong about them. But, you never know. Just that.

Quote:
3. Everything else is assumptions.
Absolutely right.

Quote:
4. Who cares? it's fucking 16 dollars. I'm sure people have done lot more evil in the music industry than this. So what he wanted to cash in a bit more with his work? It's not like he became a millionaire because of that. So I don't find that enough to call somebody dishonest.
You're right about this too.

Quote:
And yet, noone said you have to pour your negativity into any thread you find.
I don't. In fact, I haven't posted in ages, the last time I didn't post any negativity at all, and this time I only replied to one single thread, originally by criticizing Darkflame & co.'s stance on how LBA 3 should be, and agreeing with Polaris' viewes on Vachey.

Quote:
This is about LBA 3.
You're right.

Quote:
Keep your personal life outside the internet.
Why? Last time I checked, the Internet wasn't an alternate reality game. We're all still real people and it's ridiculous to demand us to leave the entire real life outside it. Real life is part of all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasia
The second paragraph is very weird.
I believe your assumptions ("you guys have your good lives", "utopian view on the world everyone else here has") go definitely too far, especially considering the size of our community and its diversification.
Sure, it does go too far. But it's based on my observation of this community. I mean, I notice that most of the oldbies seem to be financially well-off enough to afford traveling around europe for MBN meetings, etc. They also seem to be able to afford hardware upgrades much more often than I can.
And it also shows in every single discussion about how LBA 3 should be, with those same members generally supporting the notion of a LBA 3 adopting the latest techniques just because they have the hardware that can do it and want a LBA 3 that fulfills all their dreams, completely disregarding the rest of the community that's not as fortunate as them. And it bothers because if there is no dissenting voice, Fred & Co. might see that, and actually use those wrong ideas about how LBA 3 should be, and therefore come up with a game 66% of the world won't be even able to play.
I've been waiting for LBA 3 since 1997 now, and I'd be incredibly disappointed if its system requirements exceeded my hardware and therefore I (and others like me) couldn't play it. It would even increase the gap among the two kinds of members of this forum even further, as there'd be the more fortunate ones, joyfully describing how they played LBA 3 and how awesome it is, and us, the less fortunate ones, who would still keep only dreaming about it. It would literally tear the community in two.
__________________
Join #doki-doki on irc.ringoflightning.net for some nice chit-chat about anime, manga, and other aspects of Japanese culture now!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 2015-02-20, 00:00
SpaceGuitarist's Avatar
SpaceGuitarist SpaceGuitarist is offline
the legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 7,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
This, my dear, is called me challenging your opinion with mine.
Challenging =/= insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
I am told I am not allowed to express my opinions unless they are positive, happen to match yours, or both.
Basically, "do not express opinions I do not like/approve of". Welcome to North Korea, I guess.
Insulting =/= expressing opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
This translates to: I, SpaceGuitarist, hereby declare this to be the truth and allow noone to challenge that.
And yet, you agreed with every point that followed this "statement".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
I will concede on that. We don't know exactly what happened so it's all speculation.
(...)
Absolutely right.
(...)
You're right about this too.
(...)
You're right.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist
Noone said you have to pour your negativity into any thread you find. This is about LBA 3. Keep your personal life outside the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Why? Last time I checked, the Internet wasn't an alternate reality game. We're all still real people and it's ridiculous to demand us to leave the entire real life outside it. Real life is part of all of us.
Last time I checked, a topic titled "Let's talk about LBA 3" is not a place to talk about how bad USA is, how it was involved in whatever shit with Ukraine, how PayPal is a bad payment system, how iTunes is evil, how anyone involved with iTunes is an Apple fan, how Apple is a horrendously evil company, how farmers who agree to Monsanto can be compared equal to musicians who put their music to be sold on iTunes, how Europe is into an economic crisis, how you are unable to get a job, how because of that you have negative view of the world, how I can't consider Vachey's music to be better than Chopin and other classical music, how... (the list goes on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
I admit I've been a dick pretty much throughout this thread.
Thank goodness. But will you ever stop? with every new reply you persist on it. :|
__________________


Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Xp and lba1 Producers Coice skeeta General 20 2005-04-28 00:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:27.


News Feed
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, the Magicball Network