Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2015-02-23, 20:15
strange dreamer

Just for the record:

~ Interview with Philippe Vachey for Pixel Nation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interview-pixel-nation-p25_0.jpg‎
Views:	112
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	9948  
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Just a little seed, makes a big tree, Standing on its own, thriving all alone
Old 2015-02-23, 21:14
Neko

Hey Battler,
I will respond more in depth later, but why this talk about what kind of person I am?
I basically upload my music for free, what does that make me?
Oh and silverlight is definitely not on sale and ofcourse you would get share, wtf are you thinking?

Polly:
If you are glenn gould, you will be remembered as a pianist. You just need to be great.

Last edited by Neko; 2015-02-23 at 21:20.
Old 2015-02-23, 21:26
Neko

Oh and kudos to roy for saying everything i wanted to say.

Battler, i think your idea is very noble but I prefer a little more freedom. I wouldnt mind if people would torrent my work if I was a professional artist too. If someone buys it it is like a donation, cool.
Old 2015-02-23, 21:28
Polly parrot

What do you mean SGK ? Vachey has ideas I disagree with, but so has the whole world, that doesn't make him a bad person in my eyes. He has a side that is for me a dick side, but a human being is too complex to have only one side.

Upon reflection a short license might be a good thing, but certainly not something lasting more than a lifetime.

Jesse : why do you say that ? Even if you were re-arranging tunes the uploading them, you would still be remembered for them.

I mean, same thing as being a composer, you are not Mozart, but you'll still be remembered.
(pleasepleaseplease don't take this personally this comment wasn't a judgement of your work.)
Old 2015-02-23, 21:34
Neko

Battler seems to think I write music purely for money which is bullshit. I am gratefull I am able to compose 0_o.
Thats why I said that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
What do you mean SGK ? Vachey has ideas I disagree with, but so has the whole world, that doesn't make him a bad person in my eyes. He has a side that is for me a dick side, but a human being is too complex to have only one side.

Upon reflection a short license might be a good thing, but certainly not something lasting more than a lifetime.

Jesse : why do you say that ? Even if you were re-arranging tunes the uploading them, you would still be remembered for them.

I mean, same thing as being a composer, you are not Mozart, but you'll still be remembered.
(pleasepleaseplease don't take this personally this comment wasn't a judgement of your work.)
Old 2015-02-24, 00:44
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Jesse: Well, some of your posts made you appear as if you only care about making millions. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Since you're not one of those "profits über alles" artists, then awesome. But you're an exception rather than the rule. Sadly, the norm are the artists signed to the big corporations such as RIAA who then sue 12-year-old girls for "loss of profit" and "theft" for downloading a song.
Old 2015-02-24, 09:11
Neko

Ok then.
I just have no problem with someone like mike oldfield being rich.
Old 2015-02-24, 11:02
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
Sadly, the norm are the artists signed to the big corporations such as RIAA who then sue 12-year-old girls for "loss of profit" and "theft" for downloading a song.
I'm pretty sure this isn't the norm, it's just that those people are the most well-known and get the most exposure. Most musicians are poor or have to do an other job to sustain themselves.
Old 2015-02-24, 11:38
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler View Post
- Jesse: Well, some of your posts made you appear as if you only care about making millions. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Since you're not one of those "profits über alles" artists, then awesome. But you're an exception rather than the rule. Sadly, the norm are the artists signed to the big corporations such as RIAA who then sue 12-year-old girls for "loss of profit" and "theft" for downloading a song.
It's amazing how wrong you are. It's really incredible that someone can be as wrong as you are, and still not realize it.
Old 2015-02-24, 11:42
Polly parrot

I doubt that it's this extraordinary... Everyone must be like this in the eyes of someone else.
Old 2015-02-24, 11:51
Party animal

If someone says "the sky is purple" and doesn't see why he's wrong, it's extraordinary.
Old 2015-02-24, 13:37
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- Reek: Turn on the radio. And tell me who do you hear? Because at least here, I tend to hear the likes of Justin Bieber, One Direction, Britney Spears, etc. How are those "artists" not for-profit commercial cack?

Edit: More to the list (some you may not know, but I can assure you, they are cack) - Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, Marco Carta, etc.
Old 2015-02-24, 15:14
Party animal

How are artists that are signed to big corporations the norm?

Don't you think there are more artists out there who aren't signed to big corporations than ones that are?

Obviously, only 1 in 100000 artists really manage to land a major contract. Most of them spend their lives making stuff that most people won't see, performing in local pubs and the like if they're lucky,
Old 2015-02-24, 15:52
Welcome to Zirla!

- Reek: True that.
Old 2015-02-24, 23:19
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reek View Post
It's amazing how wrong you are. It's really incredible that someone can be as wrong as you are, and still not realize it.
*pheeew* Thanks Reek. My fingers were itchy to type that all this time, but I held myself from doing so... this is somewhat relieving.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Just a little seed, makes a big tree, Standing on its own, thriving all alone
Old 2015-02-25, 11:21
Polly parrot

What ?! I typed this eight posts ago and no one cared
Old 2015-02-25, 22:34
Neko

Cause you dissed us composers
Old 2015-02-26, 00:58
Polly parrot

Yes, but I did it with a lot of affection ?
Old 2015-03-01, 12:14
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The combination of melody and lyrics in "Happy Birthday to You" first appeared in print in 1912, and probably existed even earlier.[1], pp. 31–32 None of these early appearances included credits or copyright notices. The Summy Company registered for copyright in 1935, crediting authors Preston Ware Orem and Mrs. R.R. Forman. In 1988, Warner/Chappell Music purchased the company owning the copyright for $25 million, with the value of "Happy Birthday" estimated at $5 million.[6][7] Based on the 1935 copyright registration, Warner claims that the United States copyright will not expire until 2030, and that unauthorized public performances of the song are technically illegal unless royalties are paid to Warner. In one specific instance in February 2010, these royalties were said to amount to $700.[8] In the European Union, the copyright of the song will expire no later than December 31, 2016.[9]
This is just ridiculous...

This got a youtube livestream of Citizencon 2013 to be taken down because THE AUDIENCE BEGAN TO SING HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! The full stream is now still up, with that part censored out...
Article on the subject with the video.
Old 2015-03-01, 18:03
Neko

Yes it is. But that doesn't strenghten your case.
Old 2015-03-02, 01:23
Polly parrot

Oohh, come on, that was just so we could put all that behind us and rant together

(Althought I still think that if musics became public domain way faster, this wouldn't happen.)
Old 2015-03-02, 14:54
Welcome to Zirla!

- Jesse: While I do agree copyright has a point to it, I think life + 70 years (or even 80 in some countries) is way too much, and possibly infinite if owned by a corporation. I think it should last 5 years, 10 at most. If in all that time you can't bring yourself to compose more stuff, then well, tough luck for you.
Old 2015-03-02, 19:31
Neko

Life + 70 years? Ok I wasn't sure. How about just life? Seems fair to me. You die, it becomes public domain?
Old 2015-03-02, 22:34
Welcome to Zirla!

- Jesse: 5-10 years. Want to keep making money? Keep composing.
Old 2015-03-03, 01:18
Polly parrot

Lol that haggle