Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2006-01-26, 14:57
Radical Dreamer

Laptop Fn keys & Remote control

I wonder if anyone knows this, but I bought a laptop a while ago, a HP Pavilion ZD8185, great stuff, quite powerful, easy to use,...

however, it came with this nifty remote control thingy and FN-buttons... both of which seem completely uncustomizable. I've been looking for a few months for a piece of software which allows me to get the remote and FN-keys working with Winamp. For this moment it only works with Windows Media Players, which hogs quite a lot of memory, is slow as hell and slows down my pc a lot x.x

Anyone have any idea what I can do? There's no official customization software available from HP, so eternal gratitude coming your way if you can nudge me in the right direction :3
Old 2006-01-26, 16:38
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Good question...
I've been working with quite a lot of laptops, and I don't remember ever seeing a way to customize those FN keys...
Old 2006-01-26, 16:44
Radical Dreamer

making them WMP only is pretty lame x.x

I can live with it, but seriously, why make the "launch media player" button customizable (not a FN key), but the play/stop/ffw/rew buttons exclusive?
Old 2006-01-26, 21:11
Magic Ball Master

Second time today I'm suggesting TweakUI.
There's a section in this program called Command Keys (underneath Explorer) where you can change the behaviour of default navigation buttons on keyboards, which are mapped to Windows which does something with it. I don't think next/prev/play/pause etc are listed there though, but you could take a look.
Besides that, Fn keys are pretty deprecated and you have to rely a great bunch on the laptop's manufacturer for their usability.
You can't specify a custom program to run on a certain keypress? There are tools for WinAmp that are executable from command line, allowing for controlling it from external sources.
Old 2006-01-27, 07:08
Radical Dreamer

damn, that program has practically anything, except for the needed keys

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the last btw...
Old 2006-01-27, 21:26
Magic Ball Master

Can you define a custom action in the way of "start this program: c:\mytool.exe" ? If you can, you can control WinAmp just the same, using external programs.
Old 2006-01-27, 23:51
Radical Dreamer

you mean with tweakUI?

I'll look into it, I think I know where you're getting too ^^