Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2006-01-25, 15:20
I may LOOK innocent

Giftproblem

Don't ask why I'm asking this or tell me it's a strange question. But I've been wondering about this for a while:
When giving someone a present, what do you consider more important? That the one you're giving it too likes it, or that you like what you're giving?
It's not that simple, becoz I see it happen a lot of time: people seem to be bothered more about if THEY like what they give, then whether the other likes it, which results into stupid presents they actually don't want.
Who become unhappy mothers
And fathers of unhappy kids
And why's that?
'Cause they've forgotten how to play
Old 2006-01-25, 15:59
weee

Personally, I don't like material presents much. I know it's imprinted in the human culture and all though...

I get much nicer feeling when I help someone out on something I have more knowledge about than they do other than buying a present for them in the store. Same goes the other way.
Old 2006-01-25, 16:13
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
I give presents according to what the person I give it to likes. The amount of effort I put in it depends on how much I like the person.
Old 2006-01-25, 16:21
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
It's not that simple, becoz I see it happen a lot of time: people seem to be bothered more about if THEY like what they give, then whether the other likes it, which results into stupid presents they actually don't want.
What happens is that as humans, we find it very hard to truly see another persons likes and dislikes.
Theres nothing anyone can do or say that would explain to me why someone likes fish, or how other people might not like jaffacakes.
In fact, that's kinda the very definition of personal tastes and preferences..they mostly arnt rationalizable.

So when it comes to giving presents its far easier to look at a product you would love to get, and then give it to someone else then it is to try to imagine a gift someone else would like.

The best you can normally do is try to look what they buy themselves, and then to buy something similar. But even that is hard, because you might end up buying something they already have
Old 2006-01-26, 20:43
I may LOOK innocent

ChaosFish> I couldn't agree more, but that's not what I'm trying to get at.

It's not only about what they would like to get themselves. Then it wouldn't bother me. But often, people actually want to like what they give. Not in a way they would like to receive it, but more "showing how creative" they are or something, rather than just giving someone something he or she would be happy with.
Who become unhappy mothers
And fathers of unhappy kids
And why's that?
'Cause they've forgotten how to play
Old 2006-01-26, 23:15
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Reminds me of a swedish television series (comedy) which there was two families. The husband of one family had constructed a loom (some kinda chair) for her wife birthday. When the husband in the other familie saw the gift he said it was useless, cause both they knew she really don't need it but that the first husband had put so much time on it showed how much he loved her, the seconds familie husband did not agree. Then the seconds familie husband told her wife that he made such an bad gift, but she didnt agree and said that everytime she look at it she will remember how much he love her.

a day later on when the firsts familie's wife had birthday and recived her present, she got furious over the present.

at night the seconds familie husband took the wool the other guy had made and gave it to his wife!

You can guess what happend then (of course if you can read my lousy english ).

As you guess the second families wife didnt see the symbolic meaning now.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2006-01-27, 01:24
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
it's pretty simple:

-you find out what they like
-you [TRY] to get something like that

what's it matter if you like it or not?

if your friend liked chocolate and you didn't why would that stop you giving them chocolate?

or maybe i'm just getting this thread all wrong
Old 2006-01-27, 18:27
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Dan - I think people would like to show thier cultural skills somehow in the present too, or as in my example; A symbolic meaning in the present.

Cause actully giving someone a gift is also a way to show the reciver something like "i love you" (if you give roses or something girlish for example) or something else.

If i should take an example from what my brother give to me in my birthdays in the past few years, they are ALL something that whole the familie uses (and their is no reason i should use it more than them either). So that can be another way to describe: "a present that you like yourself".

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2006-01-27, 20:38
Little Bastard Warrior.

I gave my brother Gun (the game, remember?) for Christmas. I didn't really want too, because all the reviews had been mediocre. And true enough, he was done with the game 3 days later.

But he liked it, while it lasted.