Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2004-11-20, 14:35
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Huge USB problem

firstly - this is not related to LBA in anyway, im just posting here to see if anyone here knows the answer

______
Story:
Last night i was happily playing around in LINUX on VMware (pc emulator) and i decided to put in my USB HDD. This didnt show on the HOST pc or GUEST and i just thought it was probably VMware's fault. So i ignored it.

Later on after a restart and no VMware running i tried my USB HDD again - still didn't work. I started to get worried because it had a lot of important stuff of mine on. I took out my USB mouse to try the HDD in that port. This didn't work either, i thought my HDD was dead.
BUT when i put my hdd in another computer it was fine.

it got quite late so i just plugged the mouse in and shut down pressing the windows button then U twice. -not realising that now the mouse wont work on that computer.

This morning I turned the PC on, it booted into linux because i left the LIVE CD in it. I decided i'll see if i could get network to work on Linux. When i logged in and opened the GUI I noticed the mouse wasn't working. The KDE GUI was useless without a mouse and i thought the CD just missed the drivers or whatever and just restarted into windows.

In windows the mouse obviously didn't work either. Luckely i know most of the window shortcut keys. I logged in and testing to see if my USB printer (plugged in from the beggining) worked. It did. I unplugged the printer, and then plugged it back in. the printer stopped working.

I went into device manager and stuff, there were no problems shown there.

So now i have no working USB ports on that computer, all devices work on other computers.

any idea whats wrong????
Old 2004-11-20, 17:26
Magic Ball Master

Do you happen to have a motherboard with VIA KT266 chipset? It's famous for having USB problems, I have it myself on a computer. If the problem is indeed the chipset, the easiest solution is to buy an USB controller PCI card ($15?) and connect your devices to that. It works fine for me.
Old 2004-11-20, 21:55
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko
Do you happen to have a motherboard with VIA KT266 chipset? It's famous for having USB problems, I have it myself on a computer. If the problem is indeed the chipset, the easiest solution is to buy an USB controller PCI card ($15?) and connect your devices to that. It works fine for me.

i have no idea what board type it is.

the problem never occured before (only yesterday and today)

doesn't matter as much as it did now - the printer decided to work and the mouse is now in ps/2. only problem is my USB flash drive

<- and that smiley is buggererd in Konqueror you should see it...
Old 2004-11-21, 21:23
formerly just angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko

I have a KT266 as well and the USB was a pain in the arse for ages. Had to download the latest Via 4in 1 drivers and upgrade to XP sp1