Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2003-07-19, 23:09
Banned

Ferry I bought The Longest Journey today

I bought The Longest Journey today, and I have just started on the game for the first time this evening.
I was surprised to see it was an Scandinavian company who had made The Longest Journey, and that there was four discs.
At last would I like to ask about TLJ's good and bad sides.
Old 2003-07-20, 07:12

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Longest Journey is godlike. That is all. It is my second favorite game (next to LBA).

The only bad thing I can think of are the rather pixelated models. But to me, graphics fade away when the gameplay and story are gh00d.
Old 2003-07-20, 12:00
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
*sigh*
I should really consider buying this game...
Old 2003-07-20, 15:06
!!!!!

Just a big BTW: The Longest Journey is about 10 times better than Syberia.
Old 2003-07-20, 16:02
Magic Ball Master

I got to chapter II somewhere (just arrived in Arcadia, more or less), then I got bored
I might play it some more some day, many folks say it's good.
Old 2003-07-20, 16:15
!!!!!

TLJ is one of the few adventure games I completed entirely without walkthrough/hints...

You shall play it, wacko.
Old 2003-07-20, 20:55

Send a message via ICQ to Xakep_INC
TLJ has very little bad sides
It has lots of good sides though. I just llllove it's story Only bad thing is that the graphics are(640x480 and a little boxy characters) not so good.
Old 2003-07-20, 22:05
Magic Ball Master

You need not talk of this when Grim Fandango is now out on budget!! It is much better than TLJ!! Buy it and then more LucasArt adventures!! Hehe, no but seriously LucasArts did and still make the best adventures (when they can be bothered these days - yes MI4 was crap, but the series was getting stale after MI2 and the departure of Ron Gilbert).
Old 2003-07-20, 22:18

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Correction...Lucas Arts does not make those adventure games...a division within it makes them. Just like Funcom isn't the creator of TLJ. But back on topic:

While Lucas Arts' Quest games are packed with humour, I did not find a storyline anywhere that could match with that of TLJ. While Full Throttle's plot was good, the ending prooved to be disapointing. Monkey Island games didn't have any "real" storylines, mainly humour. Grim Fandango is the only game that I can say was totaly satisfying. But it didn't grab me like TLJ. I guess thats just my taste.

Also, Syberia is a very good game as well. The graphics are certainly much much more advanced than in TLJ. I await Syberia's sequel as well.

Post Mortem on the other hand, a game directed by the creator of Syberia, was a total disapointment. It seemed to me like it was trying to compete with "Under the Killing Moon" and "Overseer" games. I can say that I definetly prefer those over Post Mortem.
Old 2003-07-20, 23:32
Magic Ball Master

I know that LucasArts doesn't make every one of its games itself, but when you talk of them all at once, you must use thank LucasArts, as a lot of the head honcho people who used to be there (Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer) were LucasArts employees (later on Ron Ackley and Larry Ahern for MI3, both LucasArts employees to my knowledge). A lot of LucasArts stuff is in-house development. What your thinking of is LucasArts' current stratergy, liscencing out games such as "Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb" and "Star Wars Galaxies" to developers more experienced in the genres. SWG was given to Everquest developers Sonny Online Enterntainment. Also, JK2 and the new JK3 are both developed by the American Raven Studios. But when it comes to adventures, that is where LucasArts do the business. Notice how Westwood studios thought they good try the FPS and space MMORPG after the success of C&C, and how soon after these two games they were disbanded by EA. Remember, C&C Generals was made by a subdivision of EA, EA Pacific, not Westwood all you C&C fans.

And to correct you, it was Sierra who made the "Quest" games, e.g. King's Quest etc. And may I say, those games lost out to the LucasArts brand in the heyday of the adventure genre.

You also forget to mention Day Of The Tentacle, and Sam and Max. Both were excellent, and the latter now has a sequel in development.

LucasArts both publish and develop most of their adventures, or they sometimes take advantage in some games of their publishing partnership with Activision.