Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2015-09-30, 08:25
Look beyond reality.

I'm noticing the general public focuses a lot on whether or not there is a chance of martian life inside these waters, which really is a stretch because of the small amount of water and the amount of salt that's in there.
It is exciting news however, fact is that having some kind of liquid water present greatly improves our options for using that when we set foot and build our first base there.
Old 2015-10-01, 01:25
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, any flowing water / activity probably improves the odds of non-salty water too. Maybe in caves or underground.
The idea mars is more active then we thought is cool in itself too.

But , yes, having one of the primary sources we need for a colony is good news. Purifying water is a shittone easier then shipping it.
Old 2015-10-03, 02:38
strange dreamer

Honestly one of the most interesting gifs sites I've seen in ages.

http://videosanimation.com/

(Unfortunately it only goes up to page 7 ... everything there is interesting. Really. Just try it.)
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2015-10-03, 16:37
!!!!!

Really pretty and kewl stuff!
Old 2015-10-04, 02:54
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
great. first one.
I am agoraphobic guys. Gezz

But a lot of the rest are cool. Hell, its got that acoustic levitation clip I posted too earlier :P (and used in the intro sequence to the last epp of my review show)
Old 2015-10-26, 13:28
Classic

This might interest some people (like me)
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/o...2521536#/story

$400 for a pair of headphones with a HD camera and GoogleGlass like display.
Bare in mind Glass was $1500 for the developer version, $400 seems pretty reasonable.

Of course, the display wont be anywhere near as clear in sunlight as those pictures show.
But still, being able to play city-wide games like Ingress, or just even managing a playlist, it should be good enough.
As its just a Android system you could dump on fitness trackers, or code your own software pretty easily too.
Old 2015-10-26, 14:05
!!!!!

Interesting... very interesting. Do you think it's worth it? Has AR finally got to the point it can actually be practical/fun/useful? (if not maybe I'll wait some more)
Old 2015-10-26, 17:01
Classic

I think AR in general has, but not on a product like this. Its only in one eye, and then not very good contrast, with no tracking ability. This is more like "phone in your eye" then true AR.
Its good enough (probably) to point you at a landmark in a distance, but not nearly good enough to convince you a virtual object is "there". We have to wait for Hololens and the MagicLeap for that.

MagicLeap latest;

Both will be many times more expensive then this, and at least a year away. I think those two products will be the real things that kickstart AR into the mainstream.

That said, I think this will be useful.
For example, you have a video camera, Android has software to on-the-fly translate text a camera looks at;

Imagine looking at a bit of text in any language and instantly be told what it means.
That sort of application should work fine.
Old 2015-10-30, 02:18
Magic Ball Master

I hadn't seen Magic Leap's demo yet, looks so cool I'm realy glad AR is developing so fast, being part of a team that develops for AR consoles/hardware is one of my dreams and all of this excites me a lot
Old 2015-10-30, 16:47
Classic

Me too.
Id actually be very tempted to splash down $3000 on a Hololens development kit (which is due earlier next year). Its expensive, but it is a full standalone PC rather then just a device you plug into a PC.

However, Microsoft is only taking developer applications for US+Canada

Meanwhile no news on when or for who MagicLeap devkits will be available.
Old 2015-11-02, 21:20
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Microsoft is only taking developer applications for US+Canada
Ugh that's a bummer
Old 2015-11-02, 22:23
Classic

Yup.
Honestly, I dont splash out large scale on tech much.
I only upgrade my PC when I really need it.
But this? This I will spend a a lot for. And, in all honesty, I have a tone of ideas for apps.
Old 2015-11-03, 00:08
Magic Ball Master

Hololens looks really nice and create something using it should be really fun. I'm sure they will sell on Europe later, maybe end next year.

I am looking to get the new Surface Pro 4, but it's quite expensive as well.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2015-12-15, 22:10
Classic

Late next year sounds right. Still developer edition mind, I think it will be a few years before its casually in stores. Long enough for that $3000 to be more like $999.
---
Anyway, I submitted a few ideas to Microsoft;
https://microsoftstudios.com/hololen...maswrobel0001/
:P
Old 2015-12-16, 00:35
!!!!!

I really like your mirror Skype idea
Old 2015-12-16, 02:08
Classic

Thanks. It just seems so simple no? I wouldn't be surprised if others have thought of the same thing.
The other nice point about this mirror technique I forgot is I think is that it ensures good eye-contact alignment. With webcams typically people are looking a bit off to the side all the time, as the onscreen visuals arnt in the same direction as the camera.
-=-

When all these AR devices catch on in mainstream ways I wonder if this sort of thing will effect how people decorate their living rooms. Maybe people will make a point of having big mirrors next to a sofa so remote friends can "be there" a bit more substantially.
Old 2015-12-16, 14:33
Polly parrot

Holy sh*t this is brilliant !
Old 2016-01-07, 19:02
Classic

I assume everyone heard about SpaceX's successful landing of their spaceship.

For those that dont know the significance; This spaceship went into orbit, deployed 11 satellites when up there, then landed almost in the same spot it took off from;

(long exposure photo)

Incredible achievement frankly.

Better yet, they have looked at it all now and apparently it sustained very little damage - its basically ready to fly again.
https://www.instagram.com/p/_-d28bQEc9/
This specific ship wont be, however. They consider this historically important, so after study they will keep it as is.
However, it means SpaceX will now prepare to do multiple-trips per rocket in future, thus slashing costs hugely.
Old 2016-01-07, 22:27
!!!!!

Exciting stuff
Old 2016-01-08, 00:33
Classic

Indeed it is. Getting stuff into orbit cheaper should really be the #1 goal of humanity technology wise (ok, other then health stuff). Once we are in space cheaper, so much else becomes easier.
The idea to "goto mars" or elsewhere becomes a lot easier if you can chuck stuff into space for 1/10th the cost. Ditto for new space stations, research, tourism, cheaper access to satellite deployment, asteroid mining.

Personally I hope to see space ships assembled in orbit within my lifetime, but that will take a lot of infrastructure first.
Old 2016-01-09, 03:29
!!!!!

Looking at it from a "macro" point of view space exploration is the only thing that matters... Everything else you can just chalk up to species behavior. "Sure, homo sepience can do some cool stuff, but so do other species. Nothing that special about them." Whereas no other organism ever got out of earth's atmosphere. The moment we get to space we basically leave all those other guys to wallow in their little mud box, and truly become the "chosen ones".
Old 2016-01-10, 00:24
Look beyond reality.

To add to Chaos comment, Elon Musk actually has a very good reason for why he's making all these innovations that will take us to mars someday. He feels it's a high priority to make humanity a multi-planetary species, consequently providing us with a "back-up" as soon as possible. We're probably not alone, but right now we're the only species intelligent and advanced enough to have this capability, and that makes us too valuable to take any chances.

My mind was even more blown away when I realized practically all Elon Musks endeavors are based around providing the means to go to mars. Tesla cars? That's all cool, but a big part of that company is innovating with batteries - one of the biggest challenges to improve on if we want to have proper long lasting batteries to take to mars with us. Solar City? Another startup that is actively improving on solar cell efficiency. All profitable businesses but at the same time working towards getting the required technology ready for mars.

The type of fuel Falcon9 rockets use is selected on whether it's also practical to use on a mars mission. Getting a first stage rocket back intact is hard enough, but Elon Musk preferred a powered descent over using parachutes, as the martian atmosphere doesn't provide enough drag for them to also work there.

Could go on for hours about this. The man is probably the biggest visionary we're ever going to know about in our lifetimes.
Old 2016-01-10, 15:57
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Looking at it from a "macro" point of view space exploration is the only thing that matters... Everything else you can just chalk up to species behavior. "Sure, homo sepience can do some cool stuff, but so do other species. Nothing that special about them." Whereas no other organism ever got out of earth's atmosphere. The moment we get to space we basically leave all those other guys to wallow in their little mud box, and truly become the "chosen ones".
What other species is competing with us would you say?
Old 2016-01-10, 18:36
Classic

Id argue we are the only species to go above a certain speed, and higher then certain heights too. Theres lots of distinct things about humans thanks to our multi-level tool use. (we dont just make tools - we use tools to make other tools...)
Space, or rather orbit, is a nice big distinction though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
To add to Chaos comment, Elon Musk actually has a very good reason for why he's making all these innovations that will take us to mars someday. He feels it's a high priority to make humanity a multi-planetary species, consequently providing us with a "back-up" as soon as possible. We're probably not alone, but right now we're the only species intelligent and advanced enough to have this capability, and that makes us too valuable to take any chances.

My mind was even more blown away when I realized practically all Elon Musks endeavors are based around providing the means to go to mars. Tesla cars? That's all cool, but a big part of that company is innovating with batteries - one of the biggest challenges to improve on if we want to have proper long lasting batteries to take to mars with us. Solar City? Another startup that is actively improving on solar cell efficiency. All profitable businesses but at the same time working towards getting the required technology ready for mars.

The type of fuel Falcon9 rockets use is selected on whether it's also practical to use on a mars mission. Getting a first stage rocket back intact is hard enough, but Elon Musk preferred a powered descent over using parachutes, as the martian atmosphere doesn't provide enough drag for them to also work there.

Could go on for hours about this. The man is probably the biggest visionary we're ever going to know about in our lifetimes.
Indeed.
Its no wonder the film version of Iron Man was inspired by him. The "real life Tony Stark" is somewhat literal when film makers are looking towards you for their fiction.

I would point out, however, that Telsa Cars actually have pretty mundane batteries - its just a bunch of phone batteries more or less put together. (ok, a BIG bunch...).
Your correct Musk is however working on his battery tech - it just wasn't tied to his car project yet. His going to sale "House batteries" soon as a buffer for those with solar panels. Maybe that will have the new tech in it.

Should be very popular those batteries I think - anyone not living in a area where the powergrid buys your spare energy anyway.
Old 2016-01-10, 23:03
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
What other species is competing with us would you say?
Not saying it competes with us, just that looking at it from an objective point of view it we might not be that special as we seem to ourselves. But yes, Darkf made some good points there.

Tags
augmented reality, awesomeness, esa, future, hi-tech, mars, nasa, robotics, sci-fi, science, skylon, space, spaceplane, tech, technology