Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2012-02-11, 17:29
!!!!!

Maybe someone can answer my question? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9142801AA2os0j

(it would be so much easier if Aadvark was still alive...)
Old 2012-02-11, 18:47
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Theres ports of "ChooseYourOwnAdventure" style stuff, but thats all I know.
Someone made a homebrew engine for the DS for audio-only gamebooks, but I don't know if theres one elsewhere or other genre's.

As for Aardvark, you might have more luck with Quora;

http://www.quora.com/
Old 2012-02-12, 14:50
!!!!!

Hmm, if there's none, maybe I'll make it my mission to make one. (I'll check that Quora thing)
Old 2012-02-12, 17:17
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
that's a weird... "request". But probably the only videogame blind people could ever play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeelichian View Post
Assassins creed revelations!! And call of duty modern warfare 3 now! Love PS
Honestly I've been pretty disappointed by both. "Always the same shit!". There aren't many differences with the previous titles of these games. I hope the next Assassin's Creed will be the last, and all in modern times. Even if the last game made me love so much both Altair and Ezio Auditore, it got pretty boring. it's time to see what Desmond is really capable of!
Old 2012-02-12, 17:54
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Send a message via MSN to metal-matt
Tribes Ascend.
with that said, i'm off to play it some more :P
Old 2012-02-12, 19:27
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
that's a weird... "request". But probably the only videogame blind people could ever play.
or people that want to play games without anyone knowing :P
Old 2012-02-14, 20:32
Polly parrot

There are some rythme games... I made a blind friend play rythme paradise on DS. He enjoyed it a lot
Old 2012-02-14, 23:10
Classic

Guess that would work. You'd miss out on a lot not being able too see on Elite Beat Agents though :P
Old 2012-02-21, 15:51
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Maybe someone can answer my question? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9142801AA2os0j

You might be interested in this :
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-game?ref=card
Old 2012-02-21, 16:35
!!!!!

Sweet! Too bad I didn't get a chance to back it.
Old 2012-02-21, 16:42
Polly parrot

That looks erm... sounds awesome ! Is it already released or when will it be ?
Old 2012-02-25, 16:53
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Lately I'm playing minecraft with a friend, on a server I made for the both of us.
Other than that I just replayed Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright and Trials and Tribulation on my DS. The first time I played them in english, but this time I've tried playing them in italian. They didn't do a bad job at all, I've got to admit. (I'm usually extra critical about localization changes)
Old 2012-02-26, 01:28
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
They didn't do a bad job at all, I've got to admit. (I'm usually extra critical about localization changes)
Yup, same here. I remember getting really angry at some translations in the past, but seems like they're doing better nowedays. It was about time. I've seen games translations that even a 14 years old kid would have done better.
I don't know if you play football games, but Fifa 12's italian commentary always makes me laugh a lot
Old 2012-02-26, 05:29
LOLwut?

Playing a lot of Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny, as my brother have started The Last Story. For some odd reason it seems we never play the same games at the same time. I'm eager to try TLS, but not until he's done with it.

On PC I got hooked with The Sims 3 (plus a couple of expansions I didn't have 3 years ago) and, of course, keep on playing good old SimCity 3000 Unlimited (my city has a million inhabitants, one and a half more to reach my previous record!).

Yeah, lots of gaming, but yeah, getting the most of my holidays!

Old 2012-02-26, 12:07

Quote:
I've seen games translations that even a 14 years old kid would have done better.
*cough* elder scrolls IV: oblivion *cough*
I seriously, seriously think they translated that game with Google Translator. There can't be other explainations.
"Hi there" = "Ciao là"
"scales" (as in those from an animal's skin) = "Bilance"
"that's so sad" = "che cosa Trieste" (not even kidding)

Holy out-of-context literal translations, Batman!
(except the last one, that's just an hilarious typo, yet they capitalized the "T" in Trieste. That means they seriously thought a medieval fantasy game referenced an italian city by name. Seems legit.)
Old 2012-02-26, 13:24
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
*cough* elder scrolls IV: oblivion *cough*
I seriously, seriously think they translated that game with Google Translator. There can't be other explainations.
"Hi there" = "Ciao là"
"scales" (as in those from an animal's skin) = "Bilance"
"that's so sad" = "che cosa Trieste" (not even kidding)

Holy out-of-context literal translations, Batman!
(except the last one, that's just an hilarious typo, yet they capitalized the "T" in Trieste. That means they seriously thought a medieval fantasy game referenced an italian city by name. Seems legit.)
really? I played it in English because I feared something like that could happen! who the hell does these localizations?
It's a fortune there's no important video-game company in italy... imagine what they would do translating from italian to english :P

Last edited by Streg; 2012-02-26 at 13:31.
Old 2012-02-26, 13:57
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGaspar View Post
Playing a lot of Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny, as my brother have started The Last Story.
Got the special edition behind me right now. (I won it in a video contest)
Going to finish the last quest in Xenoblade first though
Old 2012-02-26, 14:22

Quote:
really? I played it in English because I feared something like that could happen! who the hell does these localizations?
It's a fortune there's no important video-game company in italy... imagine what they would do translating from italian to english :P
Honestly? I played the game in english too (always do). I read those abominations because my friends who didn't know english played it in italian.
Old 2012-03-17, 19:30
Classic

The Last Story - Interesting. Clearly has had as much love and effort put into it as Xenoblade, but in considerably different area's.
It lacks the wonderful, vaste, open-world landscapes in favour of a more (but not totally) liner system of progression and storytelling.
And while the landscapes arnt as big or imaginative, they are very pretty with lovely artwork and surprisingly good lighting for the Wii (HDR? or some good fake of it).

Of special mention is the animations - some of the best I have ever seen. When you bump into people walking around town, they stagger and react correctly. Its still probably canned animations, but they at least did one from each angle and its a heck of a lot better then any other RPG I can think of.
Its especially funny when you make them fall over :P

I am also very much enjoying the Battle system. It has a nice tactical overview, and plenty of options mid-battle. Its certainly way beyond the "hack/slash and the odd spell and the stats do the rest" that most RPGs favour.
The difficulty doesn't seem to ramp up enough though, at least, not yet. The stadium in town has yet to provide any challange at all, which is shame given the tactical nature of the battle system.

One other negative is the storytelling method seems rather lazy. Rather then completely continious like Xenoblade, frequently you run into a cutscene, after which the screen goes blank and the narator says what happens and....bam...your in a different location.
This probably allowed them to make the game easier, but I prefer being told where to go and then doing it myself. (as long as travel is quick, as it is).
Xenoblade didnt have a single cut like this - you played everything basicly with nothing happening "off camera" to your party.

That said, really enjoying the game overall.
I look forward too seeing if it beats Xenoblade, but I am very pleased its significantly different.

Phoenix Wright - Finally finnished the last trial. Wonderfull storytelling, humour and superb puzzles. Certainly getting the next games!
Old 2012-04-06, 11:04
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post

Coincidentally I was talking about this with a friend who's studying game design recently. She'd produced this for one of the assignments. I think it's very clever.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2012-04-06, 13:26
Polly parrot

Just tried it out.
It's... strange... it's very simple and yet... I don't if I can say I enjoyed it, because it didn't last very long, but I sure begun stressing that I won't find the exit in time. She should add something that generates levels, because as it is, it has no replay value.
Old 2012-04-21, 23:18
Magic Ball Master

Been playing some Trine 2. Fabulous game, looks amazing and plays quite well. A puzzle game with some action elements is what I'd call it. Pity the demo is only available on Steam even though the game has an official Linux version.
Old 2012-05-07, 13:21
Classic

Runescape - Gave it a go after a 4 years break. Lots improved - some quests now fully voiceacted, graphics range from LBA2 level now upto a weird but-not-quite PS2 level (higher textures/dynamic shadows, but worse in other ways).
They put a hell of a lot of work into having minigames and making it less repedative too. They might not get the respect of WoW or such, but you can really see them trying their best.

Metroid Fussion (GBA) - Got a free on the 3DS as a earlier buyer. Have too say its very good, nice difficulty balance, interesting upgrades etc.

The Last Story - Get Xenoblade. I was unsure till I completed this, but at 30 hours vs 300 hours, Xenoblade wins. The Last Story is good, and better in some area's, but falls down at storytelling quite a bit (too many blackouts and text telling you what happened, vs Xenoblade lets you play every bit of story). Also, TLS seems very short and unsatisfying. Only 1 town in the whole game? Many things cant be unlocked unless you play online? bah.
Still, it IS a good game. But Xenoblade is a reason too own a Wii, The Last Story is not.
Old 2012-05-08, 22:11
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Runescape - Gave it a go after a 4 years break. Lots improved - some quests now fully voiceacted, graphics range from LBA2 level now upto a weird but-not-quite PS2 level (higher textures/dynamic shadows, but worse in other ways).
They put a hell of a lot of work into having minigames and making it less repedative too. They might not get the respect of WoW or such, but you can really see them trying their best.
I don't play since 4 or 5 years. I logged in some months ago, I saw that all the free quests were completed and I logged out
Old 2012-05-08, 23:57
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Metroid Fussion (GBA) - Got a free on the 3DS as a earlier buyer. Have too say its very good, nice difficulty balance, interesting upgrades etc.
Do you mean upgrades to the gba version ? If so, what kind ?

Tags
games, videogames