Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Games
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Games A forum for discussion of any demos and fan games being made. Not for discussion of Modifications.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 2012-06-09, 21:04
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 708
Twinsen 3D (Based Off LBA1 & LBA2)

I have played and beaten both LBA1 and 2 for a long time now. I haven't played the games for a few months, but I will continue to play them a lot. Anyways, after playing LBA1 and 2 for so many years, I have decided to make a game called, "Twinsen3D", not to get confused of a 3D version of the platform game, "Twinsen". This may sound funny, becuase I was going to call this game, "TwinsenPC". But it sounded kind of stupid to me because that is what LBA1 and 2 basically are. I have worked on this game for only 3 days, and this is what I have so far.



As you can see, it is supposed to look somewhat similar to Twinsen's house in LBA2. If I ever release a demo for this game, this will be the main room where you will start in. In this, I tried to make everything 3D, but not too many polygons, or else everything would slow down. The program I am using to make this game is called, "Game Maker 8.0". Game Maker uses 3D functions, but there are very limited amounts of options that can be done in 3D. Shadows and lighting are kind of a problem in Game Maker. So that is why I made parts of the floor dark, and added circle shadows on certain things. Everything seen in the picture is low polygon, and almost everything is textured. Twinsen, the cup of pencils, the flower vase, and the lamp, these are just colors and gradients. They may be textured later though.

Right now in the game, there are only two items you can recieve:
(They are the most important out of the entire game.) (Few of them at least.)

1.) Magic Ball
2.) Holomap

And those are the only objects I have right now for the game.

If I ever release this, it will be kind of similar to LBA1 and 2. Funfrock will rise again, and you will have to overthrow him once again, just like in both games. The game will be different in ways, probably more magic, more tasks to do, ect.

Some of you may have seen my AITD WIP that T posted awhile back. I used the same program for that game. But showing this just proves how much more you can do in Game Maker than low polygon, sharp colors, tirangles, and no textures.

Here is a picture of the model of Twinsen.



This pretty much just sums up what I have for my game right now.

What do you Quetches think? Does it look good? Anything else I should add?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2012-06-10, 00:36
Angelus's Avatar
Angelus Angelus is offline
Magic Level: Fire Ball
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 299
I think that game look nice but I don't fully understand rush with showing it.

You do another project, in very short amount of time. You wrote how big this
project will be and what will you do in it, but moment earlier you wrote that
you don't know if you will ever release it.

In my opinion I would preferred that you do one smaller project (In which I only
walk in Twinsen house and have one quest for example finding some item in it).
Than you finish it and than release. From my side you would have a lot bigger acknowledgment than showing another big but probably never finished project about which you can only say look nice.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2012-06-10, 01:27
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
I think that game look nice but I don't fully understand rush with showing it.

You do another project, in very short amount of time. You wrote how big this
project will be and what will you do in it, but moment earlier you wrote that
you don't know if you will ever release it.

In my opinion I would preferred that you do one smaller project (In which I only
walk in Twinsen house and have one quest for example finding some item in it).
Than you finish it and than release. From my side you would have a lot bigger acknowledgment than showing another big but probably never finished project about which you can only say look nice.
I probably should do it that way, I am sorry. I am so caught up in certain things nowadays, it's hard to not start something new. I hope you liked it though. But I think I will get pretty far on this.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2012-06-10, 02:58
Angelus's Avatar
Angelus Angelus is offline
Magic Level: Fire Ball
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 299
We will see I heard that many time from many different people and projects disappears very quickly. And you don't need to say me how hard it's to hold on one project for long time because I know it very well.

And like I said it look nice but most important is not how this project look now because it's a game and without any playable version it will only stay another nice picture.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2012-06-11, 13:08
Polaris's Avatar
Polaris Polaris is offline
Polly parrot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tippett Island
Posts: 5,846
So far, the colors are a bit flashy, but you said you plan to work on them anyway...
Twinsen's head seems a bit... squished, I mean, it is not round enough...
__________________
<((((((((((((([[[========================]]])))))))))))))>
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2012-06-11, 19:58
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
We will see I heard that many time from many different people and projects disappears very quickly. And you don't need to say me how hard it's to hold on one project for long time because I know it very well.

And like I said it look nice but most important is not how this project look now because it's a game and without any playable version it will only stay another nice picture.
It is actually playable right now. But you can only move around. So for now, it can be an animated picture.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2012-06-11, 20:00
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
So far, the colors are a bit flashy, but you said you plan to work on them anyway...
Twinsen's head seems a bit... squished, I mean, it is not round enough...
I know, its kind of in the right shape though. I just don't want too many polygons or else the game can be slowed down a lot. Its a sphere with only 6 segments. The colors are kind of flashy, but I plan on adding textures to that in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2012-06-12, 10:10
Jasiek's Avatar
Jasiek Jasiek is offline
Do the evolution.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: You forgot Poland.
Posts: 8,099
No modern GPU should have any problem with you using 2000-3000 polygons for the characters. You can also have way more for scenes; as a general rule of thumb around 100 000 - 200 000 per scene.

Although from what I've seen, without animations and any shaders the damned iPad can handle up to a few million polygons per scene and up to 500 000 polygons in the view.
__________________
Little Script Adventure
Join the Little Script Adventure team
Download Little Script Adventure
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2012-06-12, 22:01
MrQuetch's Avatar
MrQuetch MrQuetch is offline
Quetching a Mr.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
No modern GPU should have any problem with you using 2000-3000 polygons for the characters. You can also have way more for scenes; as a general rule of thumb around 100 000 - 200 000 per scene.

Although from what I've seen, without animations and any shaders the damned iPad can handle up to a few million polygons per scene and up to 500 000 polygons in the view.
I know, but I will just keep the polygons at a low number right now. I don't want to have to go through all of the work again re-editing every single model to a higher polygon count. But thanks anyways.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
adventure, game, lba1, lba2

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LBA1 vs LBA2 Archas General 4 2011-11-01 17:50
Anyway of doing new moves with twinsen(lba2) Lord_of_2_suns General 5 2006-11-05 13:21
What is your fave weapons in LBA2? (Both Twinsen & the villains) bunnyrabbot02 General 79 2003-02-23 19:05
LBA1 Vs LBA2 Evil-Twinsen General 34 2001-11-18 18:54
LBA1 vs LBA2 JOE General 34 2001-08-08 22:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:35.




News Feed
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, the Magicball Network