Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2016-11-28, 23:56
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Dirk Gently S01 E01-05 - Forgot to mention this weirdly, as I think its my top recommendation at the moment.
American adaptions of British things often fail pretty hard, but this one seems to get the essence of the weirdness, even if the humor isn't quite as good.
Whats nice is the show doesn't spell anything out blatantly, and chucks a lot at you at once - as it should be for this. Its also weird in a laid back way, not "oh look I am quirky" so much as "oh, shark bite marks on the ceiling, I'll add that to the list..."
Old 2016-12-16, 23:12
!!!!!

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - I'm addicted! I love this show!! Thanks for the recommendation Darkfie
I watched the first episode twice, then I watched the second episode twice. Now I watched the third episode. I think I need to watch that again!
Old 2016-12-17, 02:11
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - I'm addicted! I love this show!! Thanks for the recommendation Darkfie
I watched the first episode twice, then I watched the second episode twice. Now I watched the third episode. I think I need to watch that again!
Alright. Just watched the trailer. Looks promising...
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2016-12-17, 16:52
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Fortunately its renewed already (short seasons though, but I am fine with that)
Old 2016-12-29, 02:35
!!!!!

Watched every episode about twice (not counting rewinds) till the end of the season. And I made sure I was fully mentally available for each episode, not mindless binge watch. This show is just SO GREAT. It's so smart and creative and strange and different and full of plot and just crazy. It's awesome.

Not so much with Westworld. MEH! Watched the first 3 episodes. In comparison with Dirk Gently it's just soooo dull.
First and foremost, the premise: (mild spoiler for those who go in the first episode not wanting to know anything) Spoiler:
You create a huge land populated by 100% realistic humanoid robots embodied by entities of amazing artificial intelligence, for people to go and realize their fantasies......... and the best you can come up with for a theme that goes on for more than 30 years is the fucking wild west?? SERIOUSLY?!?! ...seriously?!
Even if the target audience is people of low intelligence who are only interested in rape and murder, an actual imaginative world made by actual imaginative people would be far more attractive.

GAH this lack of creativity makes me shiver. Honestly. It's like some cowboy from the 18th century timetraveled to our present and wrote a tv show.
But I probably shouldn't blame the writers for that. I'm sure any actual good creative ideas would get instantly turned down by the big boring money people or whatnot.

Other than that, the show is fairly captivating I suppose. I might keep watching it. Actually it does have many other problems that I'd love to complain about but going to sleep so later
Old 2016-12-29, 22:51
!!!!!

Yeah sorry I was tired when I wrote that post. Westworld is actually a pretty good show. And it actually is creative. And I noticed it's a continuation of a movie from 1973, so that would explain some stuff. I should probably watch that movie.
Old 2016-12-30, 00:27
Classic

Pitty was looking forward to trying Westworld.
Still will, but at a lower priority now :P

Quick roundup;
Class - Gets better after a terrible 2nd episode, but still never seems to quite make the best use of its creative ideas.

Doctor Who Christmas Special - Fun enough. Nice effect/idea with the villains. But not a particularly strong one plotwise. The writer did a much better subversion of super-heroics when he did Jekyll.

The Librarians S3E1-6- Ok, but last season had more interesting ideas. Oddly no Christmas special this year. They previously had a nice one which involved all the various "Christmas figure" myths rather then just the american santa idea.

Next up; Yonderland Christmas special
Sense8 Christmas special (yes, they made a Christmas special O_o)
Old 2016-12-30, 21:20
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Pitty was looking forward to trying Westworld.
Still will, but at a lower priority now :P
Disregard my hacky and slashy words about Westworld. I was sleepy, which for me is like being high. It's pretty good for what it is. I'd recommend giving it a try.

--
Yay, more shows for me to check out.
Old 2017-01-07, 20:20
!!!!!

Finished watching season 1 of Westworld. Very good show! I mean, it might have been unfair comparing it to such a rare mind blowing phenomenon such as Dirk Gently.
It is a "standard" American primetime sci-fi drama in the JJ Abrams/HBO variation. Doesn't mean it's not worth watching. Dirk Gently did raise the bar though, so it's a bit harder letting all the usual cliché just slide.
Old 2017-01-08, 16:54
Classic

If your curious, remember there was 1(pilots)+3 episodes of a previous Dirk Gently made by the BBC a few years back. Completely different plotwise, and largely different style wise. Back then it was sort of like a "alt-Sherlock with more comedy/sci-fi"
Old 2017-01-10, 21:06
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
If your curious, remember there was 1(pilots)+3 episodes of a previous Dirk Gently made by the BBC a few years back. Completely different plotwise, and largely different style wise. Back then it was sort of like a "alt-Sherlock with more comedy/sci-fi"
I haven't dared to check out the new Dirk Gently yet because I loved the BBC one so much (before it got cancelled!) I also hugely enjoyed the BBC radio adaptation of the first book. People keep telling me the new series is good, so I do want to watch it, but I don't want either of them to spoil the other one for me!

My sister started me out on watching Death in Paradise recently. It's a ridiculous and formulaic murder mystery series set on a Caribbean island. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would! I think the important thing is that it doesn't take itself too seriously.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2017-01-10, 23:51
!!!!!

Ok ok, I shall check out the UK version of Dirk Gently.
Mia, the new (American) one is also by BBC.
Old 2017-01-11, 00:25
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Oh, I thought it was a Netflix show, but apparently it's both BBC America (which to me is distinct from BBC anyways) and Netflix. Huh.
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2017-01-11, 01:05
Classic

Some collaboration. Seemed it came out on Netflix just after it finished airing on tv, so I guess that was the deal they struck.

But anyway, I enjoyed both versions, and they are different enough not to spoil eachother imho.

And just to round things of theres also a ongoing comic somewhat connected to the new show (prequel I think, but its not quite made clear yet)

(I read two of them, pretty good. The first "Interconnectiveness of all Kings" I found a little better then the second "A spoon too short")

So, tv, comics...What next? a book ? :P
Old 2017-01-11, 11:19
!!!!!

Point made. I should read the book. Same as I should read many books Lazy!

As for the comic, added to my 2do list
Old 2017-01-25, 02:16
!!!!!

Finally watched season 1 of The Expanse. (at perfect timing, season 2 coming next week!)
I like it a lot. Awesome writing, great plot, no cliche and no obvious plot devices - I couldn't see anything coming next and yet it was all connected and made perfect sense, nothing was forced. It's great and refreshing to see a good (plausible and well written) sci-fi set right between the near and the distant future.
An intelligent sci-fi, very impressively detailed. And I don't mean just the science and technology, but the society and politics and all that people factor stuff. I mean, besides the fact everyone in the solar system is basically American. But that's totally forgivable by me.

And the story is really captivating. Which seems to me like a really good way to get out the message they really want to get out: we humans might very well colonize the solar system in the pretty near future. Shit is about to get real.
Old 2017-01-25, 03:01
Classic

Gotta get back into that.
Only saw the first few episodes then thought "wow this is really good, I should watch it properly and not just as something on in the background"....but then never found the time :P

Its very rare to have 'realistic' space sci-fi. Defying Gravity I think was the only one before this that comes to mind. Not that realism is what makes quality, self-consistency is more important. But it IS nice to have "far out" shows that still try to match our present day scientific knowledge, rather then hand waving things away.
Old 2017-02-21, 02:40
Classic

Tried a few more things.

Powerless - I often thought there was plenty of scope for comedy around superheroes, but every time they try to mix the two it comes out lame. I always thought this was because they try to follow the heroes and add comedy - rather then taking the perspective of civilians that have to work in a absurd world.
Powerless does just that - its a office comedy set in the DC Universe, about a firm trying to sale products that help protect people.
Its....ok.
It suffers from the normal US problem of having to point out their jokes, when they would work so much better in the background. It also suffers due to the "comady about a firm making crazy gadgets" has been done far far better in "Better Of Ted"

Riverdale -
Murder mystery set in a small town. Again, ok.
Whats interesting is the source material for this;

Is this;

A comedy/romance comic going on for, I dunno, a century or something.
wtf.
Old 2017-02-27, 03:42
Classic

Timeless S01E01 - meh.
Old 2017-03-01, 13:12
!!!!!

The Expanse [2x05] - Wow. That episode was so beautiful. I just went from "really like" to "love" this show. I just love it. It's so good.
Old 2017-03-10, 01:35
Classic

Wayward Pines season 2 - what happened? s1 was great. Cool twists and scenario changes every episode. No one acting that stupid. Slow but good worldbuilding.
S2? urg. Lots of time wasted on crap. Nazi kids the main plot for the whole season. Fantastic. And that final "twist"...what writer thinks we want to see that sort of plotline? let alone as a big reveal. blah.
Such a waste of a good first season.
Old 2017-03-11, 20:14
!!!!!

I liked Wayward Pines season 2. Maybe I could have been more critical, but its shortcomings didn't bother me that much. Spoiler:
I like how the main characters whom they invested many episodes on keep dying midseason like it's nothing. I hope this was intentional and that they will continue this trend and that it wasn't just to replace the cast.
Old 2017-03-12, 02:05
Classic

reg spoiler; Oh, I admit didnt mind that aspect at all.

As for why...well its all based on books right? I know nothing of them, but maybe its just how they went.
Old 2017-03-18, 20:31
Classic

Legion S01E01 - Sort of feels like if Dirk Gently by way of the film "PI". Like Dirk it chucks a lot at you at once, the screen constantly has weird things and nothing could be described as normal tv.
In Dirks case, however, what we got chucked at us was lots of scenes plot elements that all got tied together. Legion, however, is not chucking plot at you so much as "experience".
Like the film PI it uses its visuals and sound to try to make you feel like the main character...who isn't sure of his sanity. So while some of whats chucked at your retina is backstory, a lot isn't real at all.

Its certainly interesting, but I am not sure how well it will hold out. How much substance is under the style?
Certainly watching more to find out. Hopefully it hold out, as its already renewed.
Old 2017-03-18, 23:49
!!!!!

Legion sounds very interesting... I should definately check it out.

Tags
series, shows, television