Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2006-01-19, 20:47
Master of Science & Magic

Watch out for the press

http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media2...5340.3198.html

And this isn't just an incident, these things happen a lot. I've seen it myself from pretty close. (not the suicide, but the press making up stuff)
Old 2006-01-19, 21:01
Member #174

Send a message via MSN to Assassin
It's really sad how they make stuff up around such a story just to get more interesting news.. Especially with things like suicide.
Old 2006-01-19, 21:04
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
Sadly, it always happens because these journalists write about something they have no clue about.

But this is so incredibly extreme, I wonder whether the guy who wrote this crap deliberately spiced up the story.
Old 2006-01-19, 21:11

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
What, is it all made up?
Old 2006-01-19, 21:52

the linked story is true
Old 2006-01-20, 01:45
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Quote:
Watch out for the press
Quote:
I've seen it myself from pretty close. (not the suicide, but the press making up stuff)
So, what do you suggest should be done? Limiting press freedoms?
Old 2006-01-20, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Sweden
... no ...
I suggest to make people aware that the press does not always tell you what really happened (this can because they don't validate the facts they were given or that they make up stuff to make the story more interesting), not even if it comes from respectable resources.
Do you know how difficult it is to correct a "mistake" made my the press? Well, it's almost impossible. And who do you think people will believe? you or some large press company?
Old 2006-01-20, 11:26
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Sweden
You might want to take into account that a journalist *should* do right reporting. The mere fact that you suggest sarcastically "limiting press freedom" shows that you have no clue what's so ever about the massive amounts of mistakes are being made by the press nor the consequences of bad reporting.

The amount of mistakes made by this journalist is astonishing and puts all journalists to disgrace.
Old 2006-01-20, 23:19

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
In USA it's already against the law for publishing falsified information in the News (unless it's Fox News).
Old 2006-01-20, 23:42

and yet, they do it day in, day out
Old 2006-01-21, 03:48
Magic Ball Master

You can always twist words and facts or make up new ones in ways that you're not actually falsifying anything.

For example, in order to bring up some new facts, you can state an informal anonymous source in the form of "some people say that...", which doesn't say it is a true fact, but some people will interpret it that way anyway.

As a reader, how can you prevent taking falsified information as being true? Should you always have to check several sources? Is that even enough to be completely sure?
Old 2006-01-21, 09:02
What is this place?

Well, that's the exact problem most media are dealing with. How to bring credible information and how to bring it credible.

I would normally say 'check multiple sources', but nowadays we have a large news monopoly in the form of press bureau's. At one side press bureau's are interesting because they present news which you couldn't have otherwise but at the same time you see how lazy newssources are becoming because of press bureau's. Why waste people on an article when the press bureau already has one?
Another problem is quality control. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen that the articles you get from a press bureau are riddled with mistakes, bad information, or incomprehensible language.

These days it's not just a matter of looking at multiple newssources, but also to see whether these newssources use original sources themselves. If they all quote a single person about a certain newsworthy or radical statement, then something might be wrong. Radical discoveries for example, will nearly always be accompanied by critisism of an expert.
Old 2006-01-24, 03:04
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atresica
You might want to take into account that a journalist *should* do right reporting. The mere fact that you suggest sarcastically "limiting press freedom" shows that you have no clue what's so ever about the massive amounts of mistakes are being made by the press nor the consequences of bad reporting.

The amount of mistakes made by this journalist is astonishing and puts all journalists to disgrace.
It is quite bizarre that you draw conclusions like that about my knowledge from a simple one line comment.

I am just irritated on the anti press wave that we see today. El Muerte's thread has a populistic name, which I reacted at. Journalists lie, and because of myself being a slacker, media junkie and sports press junkie, I am very well aware of this. There is no need, however, to draw simple and anti-intellectual conclusions from that - disdain for journalists (which is obviously growing in today's debate) is just as bad as disdain for politicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing
(unless it's Fox News).
What do you mean by that?

A trend I think that I can see clearly today is people who tend to focus too much on what they think is lying media. They think that for example media who lie because of assumed political reasons, like FOX or media who lie because of assumed interest in profit maximizing like the so called tabloids, are great liars. And because of that they become less aware and less critical towards other media (in this case for example the CNN or more serious daily newspapers). They think that what is said in those forums are pretty much the truth, most often. And that is dangerous, you see.
Old 2006-01-24, 08:43

Well FOX is a special case. It has more lies than truths. But the press shouldn't produce lies, they should be objective.