Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > News

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

News Discuss the news posted on the MBN here

Old 2009-09-27, 13:25
The return of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
so I'm not holding my breath.
I wish you would, the forum smells of death ever since you joined
Old 2009-09-27, 13:36
Free-lance designer

Send a message via ICQ to Horadrim
http://ludoid.fr/precision.html

Look at the bottom:

Quote:
Message à l'attention de la communauté LBA : "Désolé, il ne s'agit pas de LBA3!"

Mais ce projet nous tient toujours à cœur et votre enthousiasme nous est précieux. Merci. Fred
Old 2009-09-27, 13:40
The return of

Horadrim, theyve already seen that. Jump to the previous page, there's a good translation.
Old 2009-09-27, 13:43
Free-lance designer

Send a message via ICQ to Horadrim
Yeah, I just noticed this.
Old 2009-09-27, 14:42
The return of

Anyone notice the little ubisoft logo forwards to assasins creed 2 (albiet not on purpose)?
Old 2009-09-28, 05:12
this's longer than allowe

It just forwards you to ubisoft's main page. assassin's creed is just one of the games they're gonna release.
Old 2009-09-28, 07:27
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axx View Post
I wish you would, the forum smells of death ever since you joined
Who doesn't like death?

Old 2009-09-30, 23:30
eat me

its the magic slate!!!!! then or it is lba3 or Fred want to grow up our hopes and then BAM! break it by showing another game
at least he remembered about lba...( i guess?)
Old 2009-09-30, 23:35
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drelnor View Post
its the magic slate!!!!! then or it is lba3 or Fred want to grow up our hopes and then BAM! break it by showing another game
at least he remembered about lba...( i guess?)
He posted a note on his website saying it's not LBA already.
Old 2009-10-01, 03:46
eat me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobold View Post
He posted a note on his website saying it's not LBA already.
ur a evil evil guy
Old 2009-10-01, 04:45
Lemonhead

People really need to start reading the thread before posting.
Old 2009-10-01, 15:06
Polish Pride

Lol. I don't see what all the fuss is about. The only thing that seems to be on people's mind here seems to be LBA 3. At the moment I'd take this as excellent news, Fred's getting a platform to develop again and it seems he's on track to not only make LBA 3, but make it as good in today's world as the other two were in their time. It's just that obviously rushing it would have no purpose, so now he's just giving himself the best chance he can to do it properly. The fact that he's undertaking a major project at UbiSoft, which is certainly no small fish, should be very encouraging as to his position of power in the gaming world.

Reminder to those who have forgotten Fred's promise: "I will make LBA 3 before I die". Hopefully though this new project will be just as good quality as classical Fred .
not knowing when to laugh or cry,
Break the surface,
and tell me what you really see,
When did we stop believing?
When did we say goodbye?
Old 2009-10-01, 17:12
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalSwordsMan View Post
Lol. I don't see what all the fuss is about. The only thing that seems to be on people's mind here seems to be LBA 3. At the moment I'd take this as excellent news, Fred's getting a platform to develop again
Outside of LBA, I have no interest in Fred's other games (as of now), so I guess that's why I'm not really enthused.
Old 2009-10-01, 18:17
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
He's had a 100% success record as far as quality for me goes, so far.
Of course, AitD1 wouldn't score high by today's standards, but at its time of release it was easily one of the best games ever made.
Old 2009-10-01, 20:19
Polish Pride

Hmm, that I am yet to play... But still, you have to be ready for the possibility that Fred was good at producing games only for that age. I have to say I'm also in D-J's boat atm, but if Fred was to make another adventure game, I'm sure it would definitely be worth looking into. Having said that, if it's something completely different, I think I'll just stay in hibernation till LBA 3 comes out, because I simply can't imagine Fred making a game of the same quality in lets say, an action, RTS, FPS or something. Then again, I'd love to be proven wrong...
not knowing when to laugh or cry,
Break the surface,
and tell me what you really see,
When did we stop believing?
When did we say goodbye?
Old 2009-10-01, 21:05
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Innovation is applicable in any age, imho.

As for genre, well, naturally, he has a specialty. Most developers do. I dont think Peter molyneux would make a good FPS, or Carmak a good platform game, or Miaymoto a good...umm..well, theres always exceptions.

Fortuntely we at least know Fred can move with the times in terms of refinements to genres. The instant-deaths of AitD would now never be torrelated in games, neither would LBA1's wall-deaths.
Old 2009-10-01, 23:37
Magic Ball Master

I'll believe Fred can make the transition from the 1990's to 2010's when I see it.
Old 2009-10-01, 23:44
Classic

I don't get your logic at all.
Can you point to game designers who have suddenly become bad at games just because the date has changed?

Every game Fred has done as been inventive and imaginative. Now, of course, we must also assign a lot of that quality to the rest of the team too. So maybe he isnt any good when working in a new team...we dunno that.
But theres nothing I see stopping a great game designer being a great game designer whatever the era. You could argue he wont be successful, if you suspected he cant handel new tech, but then, thats never a guage of quality.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2009-10-01 at 23:52.
Old 2009-10-01, 23:53
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Can you point to game designers who have suddenly become bad at games just because the date has changed?
Can you point to any successful game designer who hasn't produced a major title since 1997 and is still considered viable in their industry?

One thing you give to Miyamoto, Kojima, Wright, etc., almost all of their releases are not only great, but come within what I'd consider to be an acceptable frame of time. There are always exceptions to the rule, but even smaller development houses and developers themselves show some signs of life. Sure, Fred's got Soul Bubbles. A nice DS game. But that's all, since 1997.

Of course, those developers have powerhouses behind them; Fred does not (although that in and of itself may be saying something?). Nonetheless, Fred has been, for all intents and purposes, pretty much off the gaming radar, and not producing anything that, at least in my opinion, I'm interested.
Old 2009-10-02, 03:54
LBA fan

Quote:
Who doesn't like death?

Murdered by a cross-eyed tranny?
Old 2009-10-02, 04:04
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medur View Post
Murdered by a cross-eyed tranny?
I'm dying, man. It's not like I have a choice.
Old 2009-10-02, 18:54
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Quote:
Who doesn't like death?

*save image as* hahaha if only..........
Old 2009-10-02, 19:25
Classic

Quote:
Can you point to any successful game designer who hasn't produced a major title since 1997 and is still considered viable in their industry?

One thing you give to Miyamoto, Kojima, Wright, etc., almost all of their releases are not only great, but come within what I'd consider to be an acceptable frame of time.
There also all have massive financial backing.

And no, I cant point to a game designer. I only could name, like, 10 of the top of my head, and they are going to bias towards the most famous anyway.

Besides, you have changed the question "being viable" is different from "making good games.". Viable has more to do with short-term fame, as publishers would certainly bias towards that. (quick-buck thinking). You can make great games but not be viable in terms of sales.

But then, ubisoft clearly does think he is viable, as they already have employed him.

So, the key to the question is;

Why should a game designer get worse if he hasnt had things published?
In terms of his skill, how does non-publication reduce it.

(if he hadnt worked on games for 15 years then that would certainly be an argument...)

Quote:
Of course, those developers have powerhouses behind them; Fred does not (although that in and of itself may be saying something?).
No, it does not.
Unless your blaming the flop of the dreamcast on Fred.

If you can point to some evidence it was Freds fault for both Agatha and TP failing, then this would be a point.

At the moment its an assumption;
The fact that all Freds games since 1997 have got no release, does not relate to the chances of future fred games getting a release, unless fred was to blame for them not getting release.

Now that could be true, but we simply have no evidence to say either way.
Old 2009-10-02, 20:04
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Besides, you have changed the question "being viable" is different from "making good games."
I never said Fred didn't make good games, I said he hasn't made anything worthwhile since 1997 (minus small games like Soul Bubbles). I never said he wasn't a good designer. But people around here treat him with a sort of reverence, as if everything he did or will ever do is instant greatness, when in reality, he's made 2 games that, regardless of our fondness for them, were mostly forgettable once time passed the Mario 64 generation of titles.

Quote:
Viable has more to do with short-term fame, as publishers would certainly bias towards that. (quick-buck thinking). You can make great games but not be viable in terms of sales.
They're certainly not mutually exclusive, although as you well know, Wii shovelware is changing that equation.

Viability in the long-term is how you judge a game designer, and it's no surprise that people I mentioned are household names - and subsequently got financial backing - because they have shown a pattern of critical and financial success.

Quote:
But then, ubisoft clearly does think he is viable, as they already have employed him.
Ubisoft is slowly turning into the EA of the 2010's. They've thrown money at just about everything. That's not to discount the fact that they're working with Fred, only that he's got the financial backing, which means in my opinion he needs to actually show something meaningful to the gaming audience.

Quote:
Why should a game designer get worse if he hasnt had things published?
In terms of his skill, how does non-publication reduce it.

(if he hadnt worked on games for 15 years then that would certainly be an argument...)
Again, I'm not saying he's gotten worse; I'm questioning Fred's viability (your term) - both in a creative and financial sense - since 1997.

Quote:
If you can point to some evidence it was Freds fault for both Agatha and TP failing, then this would be a point.

At the moment its an assumption;
The fact that all Freds games since 1997 have got no release, does not relate to the chances of future fred games getting a release, unless fred was to blame for them not getting release.

Now that could be true, but we simply have no evidence to say either way.
Last time I checked, good games get made...it seems odd that such quality titles would be left on the cutting room floor, no? Maybe Fred isn't directly involved, but it can't be entirely coincidental that, once again, he hasn't gotten anything decent published since 1997.
Old 2009-10-03, 04:44
eat me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jast View Post
People really need to start reading the thread before posting.
i only read 2 first and last page... do you really expect i was going to read a whole thread? it gets boring at the middle of the 3rd page.

Tags
frederick raynal, ludographie, ludoid, thi