Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2010-10-28, 23:37
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

LBA on the iPad

I saw the discussions elsewhere yesterday about the release of an iDOS app for the iTouch/iPad and how it can play older DOS games and I quickly envisioned playing LBA on my iPad, but then the App store quickly removed this 99 cent app form the market. From what I have read and seen, since this app is based on or is a rip of DOSBox, in theory LBA should run properly. If anyone has purchased or has a jailbroken iPad and can test this out, I would love to know if it really works.

http://www.litchie.net/apps/dospad.html
Old 2010-10-29, 00:37
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
The iPad certainly has enough power, even with it being emulated.
Sounds like a job for breaking/cracking the iPad and installing it :P
(essential for all Apple products)

In the meantime, heres LBA on a N900 phone;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gZg7tWx5Zc
Old 2010-10-29, 10:35
Polly parrot

Nice !

Do you think LBA will be emulable on the nintendo 3DS ?
Old 2010-10-29, 14:08
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Power wise, it could be.
But the system would need to be cracked and either emulated or ported first. Could take awhile considering Nintendos apparently going overboard on the security this time.
Old 2010-10-30, 12:45
Lemonhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Power wise, it could be.
But the system would need to be cracked and either emulated or ported first. Could take awhile considering Nintendos apparently going overboard on the security this time.
Never makes any difference. Some companies are really stupid. They need to stop blocking off custom apps and such and actually support it, encourage it. Instead they confine customers to their shitty app stores in imitation of Apple, forcing developers to follow a criteria and deleting any they judge unacceptable. Why is everybody obsessed with making something the same as or like the competition, when they could make something fantastic?

"Apple have made a black and silver rounded phone with one button and a homescreen with application icons", says the advisor.
"Interesting", says the company director. "I have an idea."
"What is it, sir?"
"We're going to make a black and silver rounded phone with one button and a homescreen with application icons."
"Brilliant, sir!"

FUCK IT.
I want a purple and yellow octagonal tape recorder with green spots.
I want something unique, new and different. Unless it's called the shweeb.
Am I the only one here?

Urgh, end of rant I guess.
LBA on iPad is a good idea.

Last edited by Jast; 2010-10-30 at 12:58.
Old 2010-10-30, 13:55
a well established member

Send a message via MSN to Echomote
If I find myself bored with enough free time I'll try it on my fourth gen iPod Touch. If it works on that, it'll work on the iPad.
Old 2010-10-31, 15:11

Awesome, thanks Echomote.
Old 2010-10-31, 16:45
Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jast View Post
Never makes any difference. Some companies are really stupid. They need to stop blocking off custom apps and such and actually support it, encourage it. Instead they confine customers to their shitty app stores in imitation of Apple,
Well, this is hardly new for the console market though. Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft all take a percentage from every game sold on their system. Thus they don't want free entertainment on their devices as they wont get the percentage. Every code run on the system is ver them. In many ways Apple copied the game console template as its been very successful. They just then made it digital distribution.

Apple ensures no flash, no other app stores, no downloads of code - basically no running of code unless its ver their store.

Now, from an anti-piracy statement this is reasonable, as without funds new development can't happen. Piracy on the DS is crazy-bad at the moment. If Nintendo had this level of piracy back on the N64 they probably wouldn't exist now. (That doesn't excuse many companys releasing poor games blaming piracy for terribly sales, mind you..)

On the other hand, Google seems to be pretty successful taking the other approach; Anyone can download files to an Android phone. Anyone can run code straight from a website, or even start their own app store. Anyone publishing ver Google gets a percentage lost for Google's cost....but they don't stop the alternatives.

The flipside of this is piracy is much bigger on the Android. Certainly Nintendo really wouldn't want to take this approach. They are, after all a software company, most of their money comes from their games.
But heres the thing; They can have both.

Theres no technical reason why you can't have piracy-proof console and run unsigned code. All Nintendo would have to do is, say, restrict 1/4th of the RAM. All official games can make use of this Ram. But homebrew and amateur apps can't. Simple. Anyone trying to run an official game ver the homebrew system wont be able to do it.

If Nintendo legally allowed homebrew in this way, it would also reduce piracy, I think. Because it would be very hard to claim alternative use's for devices made to get around the 3DS's security. (While I'm a massive fan of homebrew, I suspect 90% of people buying R4's and the like are doing it for pirated Roms).

Plus; I'm positive Homebrew on the 3DS will probably become stupidly awesome. The hardware has sooooooo much potential.

Quote:
Why is everybody obsessed with making something the same as or like the competition, when they could make something fantastic?
Mostly because companys are looking for short-term profits, taking what they see as no real risks by copying everyone else's success's.

I'm personally annoyed we havn't got phones displays in our glasse's yet.

You sometimes see cool "concept phones" but, like "concept cars" they never get actually developed. Just flashy concept art for the sake of it.

So, yeah, we need more diversity. More interesting products.
And I do want a shweeb in my city :P
Old 2010-10-31, 21:07

it works

does lag a bit when text comes up and when the screen recenters. Not really playable with the lack of physical buttons...

The graphics look absolutely beautiful on the retina display!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpeg‎
Views:	328
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	8543  
Old 2010-10-31, 23:10

Wow, great! Thanks for the efforts. BTW, isn't the iPad faster than the iPod Touch?
Old 2010-11-01, 11:36
Polly parrot

I guess it probably is...
Old 2010-11-01, 15:32

The latest iPod touch uses the same A4 processor I think
Old 2010-11-21, 03:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomote View Post
it works

does lag a bit when text comes up and when the screen recenters. Not really playable with the lack of physical buttons...

The graphics look absolutely beautiful on the retina display!
Is it bad that I want an Ipad *JUST* to play this game? Yes, it is. heh heh.
Old 2010-11-24, 10:05
Little Bastard Warrior.

Echomote, could you record a little video of it in action?
Old 2010-11-25, 19:30

err i tried but even on 720p setting my phone really didn't like the ipod's screen. And then when I tried uploading the video from my phone it said it was more than 1gb big... Plus it would've been sideways anyway because I can't find anything suitable to hold the camera in place.

The game is far far far too slow to play on it, not justifiable to buy an iOS device for.
If text comes up it's really slow.
If you move the screen it's really slow.
If you try and change between normal, discreet, agressive using ctrl it's really slow.

Last edited by Echomote; 2010-11-25 at 19:41.
Old 2010-11-25, 22:54
Little Bastard Warrior.

Ah, okay. Too bad.