Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2013-02-26, 15:45
Magic Level: Red Ball

RAYNAL " Yes, it is always our desire to make LBA3 even after 15 years"

( Sorry i don't speak English ... )

J'ai envoyer un mail à Fred Raynal, pour savoir si l’espoir de voir un jour LBA3 était toujours présent. Et il m'a répondu cela :

"Oui, il est toujours de notre volonté de faire LBA3 même 15 ans après.
Nous avons une “road map” qui commence par des remakes sur tablette/mobile des précédentes versions. Et si cela fonctionne, il sera enfin temps de découvrir l’entité stellaire...

Ludiquement,
Frederick Raynal
"

Translate google :

"Yes, it is always our desire to make LBA3 even after 15 years.
We have a "road map" that begins with remakes of tablet / mobile of previous versions. And if it works, it is finally time to discover the entity stellar ...

playfully,
Frederick Raynal
"

" it is finally time to discover the entity stellar ..."

It's just amazing ! I'm so happy
Old 2013-02-26, 15:50
Magic Level: Green Ball

Yes I think we are all really looking forward for them making LBA3 once and for all!
Old 2013-02-26, 15:57
Magic Ball Master

Fred has always been very benevolent with responding to fans, which is to his credit. Unfortunately, this isn't really anything new. Of course he has a desire to make LBA 3. But there is a difference between desire and realistic outcomes.

Don't get me wrong, if they can get LBA re-released, I'd at least be less pessimistic. I'm just waiting for them to show me the baby, so to speak.
Old 2013-02-26, 16:08

Yes, but the " it is finally time to discover the entity stellar .."

For Fred, if LBA1 remake sells well, LBA3 is ok.
Old 2013-02-26, 16:11

And on Facebook, D.Chanfray say : " LBA1 on Iphone/ipad in 3 or 4 months "
Old 2013-02-26, 16:12
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archas View Post
Yes, but the " it is finally time to discover the entity stellar .."

For Fred, if LBA1 remake sells well, LBA3 is ok.
Yeah, it's been time to discover the stellar entity since the late 90s. I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archas View Post
And on Facebook, D.Chanfray say : " LBA1 on Iphone/ipad in 3 or 4 months "
That is at least something positive.
Old 2013-02-26, 21:22
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Unlike since the late 90's, Fred actually has the rights to his creation. Thats quite a big difference.
Previously it was money and rights issues holding it back. Now its just money.

Still a big obstacle, but one that can be worked towards.
Old 2013-02-26, 22:25
Magic Ball Master

That's all well and good. But the rights question had been the reason (excuse?) for why we haven't had LBA 3 for awhile. That's gone now. As a fan of the series, I hope for positive results but I'm expecting nothing.
Old 2013-02-27, 01:40
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Unlike since the late 90's, Fred actually has the rights to his creation. Thats quite a big difference.
Previously it was money and rights issues holding it back. Now its just money.

Still a big obstacle, but one that can be worked towards.
I"m pretty sure that if they deigned themselves to use a funding such as kickstarter, they'd get all the money in a week.

There are more LBA fans around the world than we imagine.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2013-02-27, 09:21
Polly parrot

After 15 years, we can wait 1 or 2 or maybe 5 more years
Old 2013-02-27, 16:42
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
All depends how much they need. I think KickStarter is a possibility, but only upto so far.
I dought LBA could get much over a million...and it could well take a few times that to get something the same length and quality we would expect.

Probably safer to aim for something smaller. LBA episodes, perhaps. Somehow make the game modular. (By Island perhaps)

I am trying to think of a comparable Kickstarter game. Elite4 maybe, as that was as "dead" as LBA was in terms of "trying to get it made for a decade".
Closer to the genra maybe is the still going Longest Journey one:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ongest-journey
Old 2013-02-27, 17:07
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
After 15 years, we can wait 1 or 2 or maybe 5 more years
It's easier to expect nothing, and then be pleasantly surprised if/when it does arrive.
Old 2013-02-27, 18:05
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
All depends how much they need. I think KickStarter is a possibility, but only upto so far.
I dought LBA could get much over a million...and it could well take a few times that to get something the same length and quality we would expect.

Probably safer to aim for something smaller. LBA episodes, perhaps. Somehow make the game modular. (By Island perhaps)

I am trying to think of a comparable Kickstarter game. Elite4 maybe, as that was as "dead" as LBA was in terms of "trying to get it made for a decade".
Closer to the genra maybe is the still going Longest Journey one:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ongest-journey
Offtopic: this girl looks like what Atresica would look like in a video game.
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2013-02-27, 19:32
Classic

She doesn't think so
She is, however, really looking forward to the game.
Old 2013-03-01, 01:03
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

You know,in the end I believe that LBA 3 will be made.I don't know when that will be,maybe even 2020(!)but at least it proves that they are still showing interest on the series.After all,GOG released the games at 2011,that's a whopping 17 (!)years since LBA 1.And all that speculation and news about them being released on android and iPhone,even official facebook status updates and this statement Raynal provided,make me believe that they will show effort in making this project true.
Old 2013-03-01, 11:35
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Has this ever happened before? As in, a sequel to a game being released so long after its predecessor?

As much as I love being part of the exclusive, small LBA community, I would love to see the game blow up.
Old 2013-03-04, 02:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lba07 View Post
Has this ever happened before? As in, a sequel to a game being released so long after its predecessor?

As much as I love being part of the exclusive, small LBA community, I would love to see the game blow up.
Yes, it had.

Diablo II - June 2000
Diablo III - May 2012 (It was announced on June 2008 )

Starcraft - March 1998
Starcraft II - July 2010

SimCity 4 - January 2003
SimCity 5 (or just SimCity) - March 2013

And after Kickstarter trend, a lot of developers are bringing back old genres/games for pc. The best example being Wasteland and probably the biggest gap between two releases. The first Wasteland was released in 1988, the sequence (wich was funded by kickstarter) is going to be released sometime between this fall (september) and early next year.

By the way I believe Wasteland was/is less popular than LBA and they were able to raise almost 3 million dollars on Kickstarter (2,933,252). I know the post-apocalyptic trend is a factor and also it being a RPG classic, but still...
Old 2013-03-04, 15:13
Magic Level: Green Ball

I don't know about Wasteland being less popular than LBA. It was the spiritual predecessor to Fallout, which is hugely popular still today so that may have played into their arms. The other sequels you have mentioned are also of titles that are on many "Must have played" lists so it is not that strange for them to get a sequel.

I have a similar outlook as Double-J: I don't really believe in a continuation of these games but I am ready to be pleasantly suprirsed.
Old 2013-03-04, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chal View Post
I don't know about Wasteland being less popular than LBA. It was the spiritual predecessor to Fallout, which is hugely popular still today so that may have played into their arms. The other sequels you have mentioned are also of titles that are on many "Must have played" lists so it is not that strange for them to get a sequel.

I have a similar outlook as Double-J: I don't really believe in a continuation of these games but I am ready to be pleasantly suprirsed.
The other sequels were just for curiosity, they are all in the all time best selling pc games list, so not a surprise at all they got sequels. But still, a big gap between two releases.

And about Wasteland, yes it is considered a big influence on Fallout, but people that buy Fallout don't pay a lot of attention to that in my opinion. If so, companies would be interested in releasing a sequel. And you have to remember that the original was released via EA, and EA explores everything they can. If they weren't interested in a sequel it's because the game wasn't very sucessful. And Wasteland wasn't even the most funded game in kickstarter. People are paying more attention to the developers than the title itself, because a lot of sucessful titles are new. And I really believe Frédérick Raynal is more popular than Brian Fargo. Besides LBA, he did Alone In The Dark, wich is a huge cult.

But anyway, I believe that LBA beats Wasteland because it had a sequel, it is more recent (has better graphics etc) and was released on consoles. Even this kind of fandom around it with forums and all, you don't see things like this around wasteland. So yeah, for me LBA would be easily funded in kickstarted or sites alike. But maybe, or better, probably the developers don't want that. It could be pride, fear... or maybe they already have the money, who knows. The fact that they are some way lost in time, have not released or announced anything big after LBA and that they are always talking about the game, sequel and etc makes me keep the hope because it shows they didn't move on. Discussions between the developers happens and even re-releases and remakes (wich games like Wasteland didn't have even though it was easier [no publisher crap - EA is more alive than ever] haha)

You do have a point though, it's just the way you choosed to look at the situation. I'm more of an optimistic person and always look for the good points.
Old 2013-03-11, 04:52
inharmonic explorer

Now I'm replaying LBA1 and 2 thanks to GOG.com, I'm right in the mood for an LBA3 announcement. To be honest, I'm still optimistic for some reason. Maybe that upcoming 'Game Music is Alive!' event and the emergence of Philippe Vachey's site (http://audiogamers.com/) is feeding that optimism. As a kid I dreamt of the idea of hearing his music in concert... but thought it would never happen. Also, I'm a big fan of the 'Creatures' (artificial life) series, and Creatures 4 is coming out soon - after a long wait. Having said that, it's been developed by a new company and doesn't seem to have that old Creatures feel or depth. I wouldn't really be excited at the idea of an LBA3 made by anyone except the original team, or at least Frédérick Raynal, Didier Chanfray and Philippe Vachey.
Old 2013-03-12, 16:55

I'm actually quite optimistic, too. I haven't been here for quite some time (and I never really was an active member anyway, I guess), so the last thing I heard was that LBA is as dead as it can be. When I came back here a few weeks ago, I found that LBA can be bought on GOG, there's a remake of LBA1 in development (though I'd prefer a remake of LBA2 - the first one didn't amaze me quite as much as the second one), the developers would like to make a LBA3, and Philippe Vachey's site with all the old music (nostalgia in its purest form). It just suddenly went from 'absolutely dead' to, well, 'zombie', I guess. xD Now let's some magic happen and make it from 'zombie' to 'alive'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS2x View Post
Also, I'm a big fan of the 'Creatures' (artificial life) series, and Creatures 4 is coming out soon - after a long wait.
Nice to stumble upon another Creatures fan here. And it's actually even better than that - there are actually two more or less 'official' successors to the Creatures series in development, both of which were announced at roughly the same time.
Old 2013-03-18, 01:52
Pim! Pim!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
most
amazing
news
everrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! piiiiim
Old 2013-03-18, 11:19
Polly parrot

So wait, you haven't been lurking the site for years before joining ? That's new
Old 2013-03-18, 19:37
Pim! Pim!

hahaha i actually forgot about twinny until i recently replayed the game
then i googled his name and found myself here!
Old 2013-03-25, 21:58
Banned

Thumbs Up

I really do hope after I waited here on this forum for nearly 10 years.