Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-06-24, 01:26
<3 MP

My only day off work all week and it started raining so I couldn't finish exploring this place.
But I did a bit of urban exploration today.
(I guess this would make sense to go in my urban exploration thread, but, everyone seems to neglect it so I'll put this here instead.)

Old 2013-06-24, 03:20
Magic Ball Master

Nice place Zee! Is this near your home? My town barely has any areas like that...
Old 2013-06-26, 03:05
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
I've got an exam in 5 days, but tomorrow I'll only study during the afternoon.
That's why I'm letting myself read a good book tonight, while drinking some watermelon vodka. It sucks, but I'm broke, and that's the cheapest thing I could buy at the local supermarket

Last edited by Streg; 2013-06-26 at 04:02.
Old 2013-07-11, 14:40
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

I got only a 24/30 because I used the word "black" instead of "people of color" while talking about racism. The professor told me I'm a racist, and even if I told her that I find "person of color" to be the more offensive one, she would find many other reasons to give me that crappy vote.
Thank god I'm a calm person.
Old 2013-07-11, 14:52
Polly parrot

Wow... That teacher... let's only say that she isn't smart.
Old 2013-07-11, 14:52
You Only Live Twice

Send a message via AIM to Twinsan Send a message via MSN to Twinsan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streg View Post
I got only a 24/30 because I used the word "black" instead of "people of color" while talking about racism. The professor told me I'm a racist, and even if I told her that I find "person of color" to be the more offensive one, she would find many other reasons to give me that crappy vote.
I was told people in south africa prefer to be addressed as black if that's their skin colour, rather than coloured or people of colour.

Also streg, how come your using the american selling of colour?
Old 2013-07-11, 15:45
Magic Ball Master

In South Africa, a "black" person is one of mostly African descent. A "colored" person is "mixed".
Quote:
colored
  1. Having a particular color or kind of color.
  2. Having prominent colors; colorful.
  3. Influenced pervasively but subtly.
  4. (US,older usage, now demeaning) Of skin color other than the white, particularly black.
  5. (South Africa, potentially offensive) Of neither black nor white skin color
Old 2013-07-11, 19:44
Panta rei

I also think people of color is much more offensive! And regardless, how does that justify such a big penalty!
Old 2013-07-11, 22:35
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streg View Post
It is easy to retort such erroneous idea.

Simply ask the teacher "So, would you feel offended if I called you a white person?"

Before she has time to think of an answer, proceed to the fatality "So... what you're actually teaching me is that calling someone white is OKAY, but calling someone black is NOT OKAY? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah."

For bonus points add: " Or, sorry, should say you're a person of colour? Afterall white is a color, whereas black is actually the lack of colour?* "

* At least in terms of light (white is the sum of all colours). If you're talking about inks, then it's the opposite (black is the sum of all colours).

Regardless, either both of them are colours or none of them are colours!
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2013-07-11 at 22:54.
Old 2013-07-11, 23:56
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Wow... That teacher... let's only say that she isn't smart.
Let us just say she should not be a teacher. She is obviously not smart enough to be one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
It is easy to retort such erroneous idea.

Simply ask the teacher "So, would you feel offended if I called you a white person?"

Before she has time to think of an answer, proceed to the fatality "So... what you're actually teaching me is that calling someone white is OKAY, but calling someone black is NOT OKAY? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah."

For bonus points add: " Or, sorry, should say you're a person of colour? Afterall white is a color, whereas black is actually the lack of colour?* "

* At least in terms of light (white is the sum of all colours). If you're talking about inks, then it's the opposite (black is the sum of all colours).

Regardless, either both of them are colours or none of them are colours!
An Enemy has been slain!
DOUBLE KILL!
TRIPLE KILL!

~Professor has quit the job.
Old 2013-07-12, 00:14
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
An Enemy has been slain!
DOUBLE KILL!
TRIPLE KILL!

~Professor has quit the job.

Streggy casts LOGIC.
It's super-effective!
A few years ago, under the guise of protecting the population, Dr. FunFrock herded the planet's habitants into the southern hemisphere. The repression is harsh. Every day brings more and more arrests, and the people slowly begin to lose hope. In an effort to keep their spirits up, the people sometimes evoke an ancient legend along with the name of a goddess, Sendell. The mentioning of the legend or Sendell has since been forbidden by Dr. FunFrock. Meanwhile... a young quetch named Twinsen has been having strange dreams...
Quote:
" If you have no success with one type of behaviour, try another. " - LBA 2 Manual
Old 2013-07-12, 00:34
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2013-07-12, 02:57
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

actually my 24 became a 26 after I asked another teacher to test me again. she told me that even if I was right she couldn't remove the score another teacher gave me, but she could give me some points "under the desk". Meanwhile luckier asses were given very high grades just because they weren't examined by the same teacher thet examined me

sgk you're absolutely right but it's difficult to to come with something like that in real time. all my arguments came too late. I was too angry to think of anything
Old 2013-07-17, 19:02
Magic Ball Mister

My day was quite long to be honest. Still is seeing as it's just ticked over to 2am.
Just wanted to say as well after my time of absence that I'm back once again.
And possibly more mature than before. That remains to be seen however.
Old 2013-07-17, 19:30
Magic Ball Master

I can definitely see that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sebz.png
Views:	126
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	9766

Maturity sucks anyway.
Old 2013-07-18, 05:54
Magic Ball Mister

I've had that sitting there for at least 2 years now. It's surprising someone's finally picked up on it :P
Old 2013-07-18, 17:22
strange dreamer

Today I read one of the most heart warming stories on the internet this year:

http://www.viralnova.com/cancer-patients-pizza-party/
Quote:
Old 2013-07-18, 17:46
Polly parrot

Heartwarming indeed. Internet does have nice sides.
Old 2013-07-18, 22:39
Magic Ball Master

That's a side of the internet that we hardly see these days. But its good to know that there are so many good people out there ;D
I hope that kid is doing ok though... isn't pizza bad for you if you have cancer? u.u
Old 2013-07-21, 00:56
strange dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosmapf View Post
isn't pizza bad for you if you have cancer? u.u
uuh... no?
Quote:
Old 2013-07-21, 01:35
strange dreamer

Today I met a strange fellow in my backyard who likes to eat insects. I've filmed him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5zbgs1CNO8

(Be sure to check this other guy too in case you've missed it.)
Quote:
Old 2013-07-21, 03:30
Magic Ball Master

There is one thing I have to say good about Brazil, that is that the wild life here is truly amazing. I simply love birds, and if it wasn't a cruelty to capture one and have it as a pet, then I would have. I find it realy relaxing to be sitting on a bench, on the sun, hearing all those birds singing in my head
Old 2013-07-21, 06:16
strange dreamer

By the way... regarding YouTube's compression - it is so nasty. All of my vids (and I suppose all youtube vids) suffer so much with it, with big losses in detail, sharpness, and contrast adjustments. I spend countless time adjusting the image to be the most perfect I can achieve, only for youtube to deteriorate it later. See the attachments.

The solution seems to be make 720p (HD) videos, so that it compresses to a 480p looking file later, rather than having a 480p vid that looks like a 240p.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nasty youtube compression.jpg‎
Views:	92
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	9772   Click image for larger version

Name:	youtube deterioration 1.jpg‎
Views:	101
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	9773   Click image for larger version

Name:	youtube deterioration 2.jpg‎
Views:	105
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	9774  
Quote:
Old 2013-07-22, 00:55
Magic Ball Master

Why don't you render your videos and upload 'em as 1080p then? Won't that solve your problem? Its not like it takes Hours to render a video, it just takes a few more minutes to render / upload the video. And if your computer is good enough, you can still do other stuff while rendering the video. Or you can maybe go do something about your life while you leave your PC afk rendering / uploading the video.
Old 2013-07-22, 03:22
strange dreamer

I'm not sure it would solve the problem... in any case, my camera doesn't film in 1080p and rendering a fake pixelated 1080p would ruin the image just the same if not more...
Quote:

Tags
so how was your