Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2010-05-31, 02:56
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
I just watched Battlestar Galactica. Took me less than a month..

And that series was class. Absolutely top class. All the different issues it takes up, the (relative) absence of clichés (sp?), good acting, etc. Only the end wasn't really as good as the rest, even though it was all right.

Spoilers below:
Spoiler:
Best parts: Probably the end of season 2 and beginning of 3 (with Baltar becoming president and the cylon invasion) and the mutiny in season 4.

While being in sci-fi, I also watched the new V series. That was an absurd waste of time, although I wanted to see how it ended so I kept on watching. Bad acting, useless and "unrealistic" story, clichées, irritating glitches and all the time details that it is hard to "buy" as a viewer.
Old 2010-05-31, 14:19
Do the evolution.

Anakin, all major religions try to make factual claims about the real world or functioning in it. And these claims are either the so called miracles which require both the suspension of the physical rules governing the world and the suspension of reason and a blind following of the claim; or claims of an anthropological or social nature that have an impact on our daily lives - like morality.

All religions make these, (you'd be a fool to claim otherwise) to varrying degrees, and they can be, and should be challanged on the grounds of their (the claims') validity.

No, Chaosfish, there is no contradiction between being an atheist and thinking about and considering the transcendent, there is no claim of a religious nature in saying that there may very well be something greater then ourselves.

Also, a religion is an ideology that requires the suspense of disbelief - of critical thinking and a blind following of the dogma regardless of the evidence for and against it. And how enlightened you are, how tollerant you are as a religious person makes no difference - at some point you have to say there is an unquestionable dogma you follow, a dogma you have faith in - otherwise you're not a follower of that religion... Making claims of a metaphysical nature is not really necessary. So you have things like the world's major religions but also ideologies like faschism or communism - that all require the suspense of disbelief and the acceptance of the central, "unquestionable" dogma.

So what Medur said is only valid to some degree, theists can and do defend their claims, often with great eloquence and knowledge, but they always end up defending claims about the real world, that can be verified and their validity can be tested. You can't escape from the faith in the dogma if you are religious - there is a point where their defence stops, as the unwavering faith is a central element in all religions.

That's what a real religion is, what Anakin is thinking about is some sort of a philosophy or a worldview. However it also won't escape reason, if it tries to make claims of a physical, anthropological - psychological nature it will and should be questioned on the basis of these claims. No matter what idealistic view you have of religions, the numbers show that it's not like that - religions do make factual claims both about this life and most often then not the alleged next one (on which they also have no data and authority to speak about...), and require a suspension of disbelief from their followers. Simple as that.

Darklfame it's Ockham's razor (or Occam's razor)... you've reached a new low!

Last edited by Jasiek; 2010-05-31 at 14:37.
Old 2010-06-01, 01:07
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
I'll try to tied up this thread sometime elsewhere and continue with the conversations here, but back ontopic..
---

The Big Bang Theory - 20/21/22/23 - Ok stuff. Not consistent laughs, but the season final was great . Also its always interesting reading those after-credit vanity cards. (if disturbing at times)

How I Met Your Mother - 20/21/22/23/24 Again, not as consistently funny as they once were, but some really smart storylines here. Almost Moffitt worthy.
I loved "The Wedding Bride" especially. Neat plotline and quite a few funny easter eggs. (check out the words on all the baggages at the end). Like TBBT, the season final was also great.

Flash Forward Series Final - That was...actualy, really well done. Almost all the plotlines coming together. I'm now quite sad it didnt get renewed

V Season Final - Not bad at all. Not very deep or complex, or smart...just well done scenes with occasion nice scripting. I'm pleased its renewed, but would rathe rhave something more complex like Flash Forward.

Doctor Who "The Hungry Earth" and "Cold Blood" - While not at its best, as such, this was a solid story with a great morality/feeling to the lot. The last few minutes were both emotional and with a hint of epic to come.
Did I mention this season has freaking rocked?

In fact, aside from Doctor Who....tv is over now
Old 2010-06-01, 14:59
Magic Ball Master

Hey I thought Better Off Ted was cancelled, but I suddenly see two more episodes of season two scheduled for June 17th. Perhaps it's just the final eps they had lying around and might as well air them.

Yep, TV is pretty much over. Got lots of catching up to do though.
It was a pretty good season for TV!
Old 2010-06-01, 15:16
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Yes it was cancelled
They are just (finally) showing the two last episodes.
And yeah,we had quite a lot of good TV.

Only thing coming up now is new seasons of Eureka and Warehouse 13. Both ok for a bit of dumb fun, but nothing spectacular.
Old 2010-06-01, 16:59
!!!!!

The more I watch tv, the more I realize the only shows that are really good are British.

Lost was revolutionary and awesome, but all the religion and general Americanization of everything and everyone, and the way it ended hoping we'd forget all the questions brought up through the seasons made me think much less of it.

V is retarded. Nice, but retarded.

FlashForward would be ok if it didn't have so many plotholes. So many of them! And not to mention I hate the main character. (still didn't watch the final episode)

Heroes was starting out awesome in the first season, but after that the writing became amateurish at best.

Why aren't there good tv shows these days? Because if anyone dared making one it'll only get canceled.

The 4400 was awesome, even if flawed at times, until it was canceled.

Kyle XY was big on American values and that stuff, but I was ok with it. It was great until it got canceled.

Other AWESOME American shows that got cancelled:
Surface, Threshold, Sliders (worse than canceled - picked by other writers), The Dead Zone (a gruesome case of dementia before cancellation though), more that I don't remember right now...

I'm most looking forward for new season of Misfits.

I watched the first couple of episodes of Caprica (Battlestar Galactica prequel), but it was so so so so so so so preaching for Christianity that I couldn't stand another minute of it. Other than that it was kinda nice.
Old 2010-06-01, 17:32
Classic

Britain has plenty of crap too. (The remake of Day Of the Triffids was god-awfull despite being fairly well filmed. And "Paradox" had potential but in the end was very shallow and formulaic).
Most of the worst stuff just doesn't make it outside the UK though.

You should at least give the current Season of Doctor Who a try though.
And anything else written by Steve Moffitt. (mainly Coupling, which is pretty funny/smart)
==
Incidental, FlashForwards main protagonist I found more likable then say, Jack from Lost. Admittedly that isnt saying much.
Also, imho, the last season of the Dead Zone was far better then those before it. They did recover somewhat before being axed. (even if the ongoing story was in complete tatters by the end).

Anyway....just more and more reasons to start supporting online shows.
Even when they arnt that great they tend to be at least more original then mainstream tv.
("After Judgement", "Coma, Peroid" and possibly the "the-ennead" all have concepts I wouldn't expect to see on mainstream tv).
Old 2010-06-02, 09:03
The Prince of all Saiyans

Send a message via ICQ to Bomba!
If you want quality TV shows that are not ruined midway -->
Veronica Mars
BSG
FireFly
Nikita
DBZ
"All men dream, but not equally.Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." ~Thomas Edward Lawrence

"When you were born, the world rejoiced and you cried. Live your life, so that when you die, you will rejoice and the world will cry." ~ Indian Saying
Old 2010-06-02, 13:20
Classic

BSG was ruined midway (final five, Kara coming back to life,etc) , you just only found out at the craptacular final.

Firefly was "pretty darn good" but its greatness grossly exaggerated. Still, its good enough just to make it depressing that it was cancelled. Serenity was nice though.
(Plenty of shows Ive liked have been cancelled within 12 episodes or so... Deifying Gravity, looking at you here )

I haven't seen Nikita much though (just random epps), nor DBZ. Guess I should.
Theres a few "back catalogue" of tv Ive got to watch.

But really, as for current tv...it seems dead.
Heroes,Lost,Chuck,V,24,HIMYM, BTTB, Fringe,FlashForward all canceled, ended or on breaks.
Even Smallville is over for awhile. Stargate Universe in a few weeks.
-sigh-
Old 2010-06-02, 14:34
!!!!!

Isn't "DBZ" a low budget Pokemon-like anime?
Old 2010-06-02, 14:56
Classic

I thought that too, but then, I was spectacularly impressed by both Dennou Coil and Avatar: The Last Airbender so I'm not dismissing anything on first appearance these days.
Old 2010-06-02, 16:13
Classic

Yes, it was (looking forward to the movie)
next? :P
Old 2010-06-02, 22:19
Classic

Terry Prachets "Going Postal" - Easily the best adaptation yet. Top stuff. Great cast too. Also really quite unlike any other fantasy series or film too.
Old 2010-06-03, 18:36

DB is childish.

DBZ is 265 episodes long, with awesome characters that you get to see develop very well and nice stories.
upto garlic saga it is nice but nothing spectacular.(with some annoying things too, like the notorious long battles)
DBZ from there on out till the end is imo quality tv. Ofcourse it is an anime, and you can find a lot of silly things here and there, but overall I liked it.

DB GT, from the first few episodes I've seen is back to being childish.
"All men dream, but not equally.Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." ~Thomas Edward Lawrence

"When you were born, the world rejoiced and you cried. Live your life, so that when you die, you will rejoice and the world will cry." ~ Indian Saying
Old 2010-06-03, 18:39
LBA fan

DBZ got a bit meh after the Freeza saga.

P.S.: it's nothing like Pokémon. WTF?
Old 2010-06-03, 19:01

After Frieza saga? well my opinion is the exact opposite.
Anyway for those who never watched it - its worth a try.

Old 2010-06-04, 02:15
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Personally I think Pokemon is far superior, as an anime and in general.

The animation, the characters, the plot.

Through out the series the plot is riddled with haunting questions and mysteries (will Ash catch all the pokemons or not? will he ever get a new bicycle for Misty?)

The show always keeps you on the edge of your seat, as pokemon battles rage on, with thunderstrikes, razor vines, and a huge array of attacks.

And ofcourse there's the comic relief moments we all come to love,
like Brock always drooling over some pretty girl!

It's interesting to the development of the characters. Misty overcoming her jealousy of her elder sisters, Ash''s rivalry with Gary.

I strongly recommend this show.
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.
Old 2010-06-04, 02:16
LBA fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomba! View Post
DB is childish.
DBZ is 265 episodes long, with awesome characters that you get to see develop very well and nice stories.
upto garlic saga it is nice but nothing spectacular.(with some annoying things too, like the notorious long battles)
DBZ from there on out till the end is imo quality tv. Ofcourse it is an anime, and you can find a lot of silly things here and there, but overall I liked it.

DB GT, from the first few episodes I've seen is back to being childish.
DB is awesome.
DBZ starts great, develops nicely but goes downhill after Freeza.
DB GT is utter shit.
Old 2010-06-04, 02:23
Do the evolution.

DB is 60% awesome, DB GT is 30% awesome, DBZ is utter shit.

And Anakin yeah, it raised many psychologial and sociological questions, regarding growing up, puberty but also it was a sort of social commentary. Mainly on how we structure our society in a way that children have no real-life goals in their lives, and Pokemon capitalized on that! It provided a sort of a vision of how the world might look like if we give the new generations a purpouse!
Old 2010-06-04, 02:26
LBA fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
Personally I think Pokemon is far superior, as an anime and in general.

The animation, the characters, the plot.

Through out the series the plot is riddled with haunting questions and mysteries (will Ash catch all the pokemons or not? will he ever get a new bicycle for Misty?)

The show always keeps you on the edge of your seat, as pokemon battles rage on, with thunderstrikes, razor vines, and a huge array of attacks.

And ofcourse there's the comic relief moments we all come to love,
like Brock always drooling over some pretty girl!

It's interesting to the development of the characters. Misty overcoming her jealousy of her elder sisters, Ash''s rivalry with Gary.

I strongly recommend this show.
You're talking about the 1st season. IMHO, Pokémon went downhill after that.

Instead of furthering its investigations on the human psyche, the show gave in to capitalism. Hundreds of new pokémons were introduced. But why? What have we learned from them? Some might argue that Pokémon is doing social critique there: not even the Pokémon dreamworld - an utopia of human development, not unlike the Marxist ideal - escapes from massification. But I think the producers are just greedy.
Old 2010-06-04, 02:29
Do the evolution.

Is it though? I think it might be an attempt to teach people on what to look for in a world of mass production - what products to choose. Also, to show that individuality, uniqness of a product makes it the product you really want. I thnk it's a pretty practical outlook, it tries to show a Utopia, but also teaches important lessons on the contemporary world.
Old 2010-06-04, 03:22
!!!!!

"Generation Y": The people who were born into a world where they get everything they want, except for purpose. Makes me kinda glad I was born just before/outside that generation.

But the real truth is: Pokemon and all those mass-production anime shows only kill your braincells. They're counter-creative, deceiving in their disguise to something profound, and, most importantly: they're drawn horribly. Made without talent at all.

TMNT for example wasn't profound, but it was still a whole other class. And it was actually encouraging children to ponder about science without being educational. Pokemon is pure garbage.

(Oh and to everyone who wants to get all angry/offended with me for saying an unpopular opinion, go right ahead.)
Old 2010-06-04, 13:24
Classic

At least we can all agree the themetune kicks arse right?
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/469719...me_tune_video/

I never watched the show, but that tune just rocks.
Old 2010-06-04, 15:06
!!!!!

Yeah it's cool I guess Doesn't really speak to me that much tbh.

I like the parody:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsBbdsbDaAY
Old 2010-06-04, 17:24
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
"Generation Y": The people who were born into a world where they get everything they want, except for purpose. Makes me kinda glad I was born just before/outside that generation.

But the real truth is: Pokemon and all those mass-production anime shows only kill your braincells. They're counter-creative, deceiving in their disguise to something profound, and, most importantly: they're drawn horribly. Made without talent at all.

TMNT for example wasn't profound, but it was still a whole other class. And it was actually encouraging children to ponder about science without being educational. Pokemon is pure garbage.

(Oh and to everyone who wants to get all angry/offended with me for saying an unpopular opinion, go right ahead.)
Ok I simply have to interject here.
How can you compare Pokemon with TMNT?

Pokemon encourages the family values that "generation Y" as you put it so clearly lack. It's one of the few shows that help children go back to the values and morals this country was founded upon.

In comparison, TMNT is clearly a fanatic salute to science, undermining religious values by trying to explain everything away in terms of "mutagen" and other dimensions. TMNT is fucking evil. Have you seriously watched Pokemon at all? read any of the plot interpretations? anything??
This is work of higher intelligences, who take other, esoteric and psychological sciences into account than we are normally used to even consider, numerology being one of them, because everything for them is ritualistic and everything is meant for a deep programming of our psychological state. One day witchcraft and science will collide.

Tags
series, shows, television