Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2011-05-13, 13:25
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
I think Smiths ok too, I actualy thought Christopher Eccleston was the best in recent years though - They can all do manic and charming, but whileTennant took a few years to pull of "serious" well, Eccleston did it more or less from the start.
My feelings exactly, but if I dare think that Eccleston was a better doctor I get loudly shouted down, normally! Just because Tennant was in the job for longer...
The pirate episode was a lot better than anticipated actually, and it was never going to be as good as the opener, with THAT shocker!
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2011-05-14, 14:06
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
"Dalek" was good - much better then the (over)use's of them latter.
Old 2011-05-14, 17:56
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

Smith's Dalek episode was frankly laughable - coloured daleks? Are they power ranger daleks now? Daleks are synonymous with Doctor Who, yes, but that doesn't mean they should be placed in every situation.

Tonight's episode was co-written by Neil Gaiman - I'm excited for this one!
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2011-05-14, 18:41
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Daleks have always been colour coded actualy, but yes, that epp was stupid.
As I said, the best Dalek epp from recent who's was the first one.
--
Anyway;

V has been canceled
The Event has been canceled
Chucks been renewed, but I dont care too muich as it was struggling with plots recently.
Along with The Capes cancelation, Stargate Universes Cancelation, and even Smallville coming to an end sciifi is pretty much gone.

Thank God for Dr Who and Fringe!
Old 2011-05-15, 09:58
Zebrazilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
V has been canceled
The Event has been canceled
crap

At least Fringe is in for a fourth season!

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2011-05-15, 16:59
Magic Ball Master

Too bad The Event as been canceled.
I'm currently seeing now the last episodes of Fringe. Good to know there will be a 4th season.

At least we have Walking Dead coming later this year.

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2011-05-19, 00:12
Classic

Chuck (season 4 final) - Actauly....pretty good. A much needed status quo change as well.

Anyway, I watched the end of smallville urg...such a waste they could have done so much more at the end there but instead it felt like half the episode was flashbacks over the shows run. I like smallville at times but here It felt like an insult them using the superman movie theme at the end.
Old 2011-06-06, 00:27
Classic

Dr Who - "A Good Man Goes To War" - Awesome.
Spoiler:
I guessed the River/Pond connection long ago, but that all came together very neatly. Humour, Drama, Epicness. TV at its best.
Love the title for the next episode too
Old 2011-06-06, 03:21
Magic Level: Red Ball

^ Agreed.

The previous few episodes weren't nearly as good. I can't wait to see what they come up with next.
Old 2011-06-06, 21:15
~le photographer~

NCIS (season 2 finale) - Tragic end for Kate... Ziva dubbing over here is kinda funny...

Web | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter
Old 2011-06-11, 12:30
Banned

Pretty little liars season 2 :- Now i am getting excited for enjoy new episodes from this brilliant gals mysterious drama. I totally hooked with the show and just waiting for 14 June to enjoy it's season 2.
Old 2011-06-20, 00:01
Classic

Primevel s5epp4 - Contrived, anti-science, nonsense. Wow, I mean, this show is never that smart or anything, but even for a "lets fight dinosaurs that pop out of wormholes" scenario this was bad.

Ok, you got a character that works out how to make/controll the wormholes...working to turn it into a free energy source for the world. And you got another character....who is supprosed to be "right" saying this is a bad idea because its "messing with nature".
>_<
Worse, she was even assuming what he was doing was bad before she even knew what he was doing. The dialogue was like constantly.
"Your doing something with the anomanlies! Thats bad!"
"Why?"
"Its bad!" (basicly given no reason)
"Why? Also, why did you steal my research?"
"I HAD NO CHOICE! You wouldnt listen to me"

And the show of course decided it was bad. And of course he was working for someone secret evil...blah blah. But the characters had no solid evidence of this before hand.
I hate this crap when it shows up in sci-fi. The whole rules of the universe change to suit a character thats arbitary decided to be "right".

Also, why is it that in 99% of case's in sci-fi learning stuff, progressing mankinds abilitys and...well...generaly doing science is considered "bad" ?

It reminds me of this excelent comic strip;
http://dresdencodak.com/2009/09/22/c...ience-fiction/
Old 2011-06-20, 22:31
!!!!!

Children's Hospital season 2 episode 7, where they send a telepathic kid in the coma room. (oh and a bunch of sick children die, but that happens in every episode)

Click image for larger version

Name:	CH720pS02E07.mkv_snapshot_06.03_[2011.06.20_22.23.24].jpg
Views:	117
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	8716

You must give this show a try, gotta love this shit. THIS is real comedy.
Old 2011-07-19, 13:04
Classic

I tried some new stuff.

Torchwood "Mircle Day" - Fantastic concept (one day everyone on earth stops dieing), but b-moveish editing and camera work combined with characters I still dont care about makes it hard to take seriously.

Falling Skies 1/2 - Epic, high-budget feel. And its nice to have some aliens that dont look remotely human (especialy after "V" and "The Event" and even BSG).
However, none of the characters or conflict is interesting yet, and the "bad humans only out for themselves" cliche showed up far too quick. Not sure theres enough plot to hold my interest.
The only questions so far is the human harness's being put on the children, and the fact the aliens use biped mechs despite not being bipeds.

Alphas epp1 - Whhoa how original. People with superpowers fighting crime. Didnt see THAT before -_-
That said...actualy, plotwise it seemed quite good. To compare it to Heroes it didnt start as epic feeling at all, but DID get going a heck of a lot quicker with them already operating as a group, and a conspiracy already in motion.
To compare it for "No Ordinary Family" it was actualy interesting.

--

Also tried "Burn Notice" (ex-Spy does odd jobs in Mimi) and Leverage (its like the BBCs Hussle, but not as smart or as funny).
Both shows were "decent", however, sort of stuff I could watch in the background without getting pissed of with anything.

Oh, and the last two eppisodes of Futurama were actualy pretty darn funny. Nice to see them back on form after a few really weak ones.
Old 2011-07-19, 13:54
!!!!!

So there's TV again? Gotta give some of these a try!

I actually kinda liked No Ordinary Family. It was somewhat less terrible than a lot of other stuff. But doesn't come to the ankles of what actually good tv shows used to be. (mmph, I feel like a grumpy old man)

That said, Warehouse 13 is back for season 3, and it's wonderful. More light-watching than 'serious business' shows, but great.
Old 2011-07-19, 13:59
Classic

Yeah, I enjoyed epp1 of season3, allthough I find the show can be patchy.

Interestingly "HGWells" is getting a spin-off.
--
Perhapes I was a bit hard on NOF, I liked the characters but I just didnt find their was enough plot. All felt a bit padded out.
Old 2011-07-19, 14:02
!!!!!

A spin off, you say?
Old 2011-07-19, 14:48
Classic

Apperently;
http://scifi.about.com/b/2011/05/16/...3-spin-off.htm
Old 2011-07-20, 08:49
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

I love bleach anime and yesterday i gonna enjoy it's recently released 331 and all other missed bleach episodes. I love this brilliant Japanese anime.
Old 2011-07-20, 14:04
!!!!!

I don't mean any offense, but really, how can anyone love something that looks like that?
Old 2011-07-20, 17:46
Classic

Good plot I guess?

Only Anime (series) I have watched have been Dennou Coil, which had pretty realistic character designs (by which I mean haircuts...), and very very good animation.

And Lupin the 3rd, which is just utterly stupid Hiest fun I make no excuses for, and has pretty poor animation.
Old 2011-07-21, 23:32
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
I don't mean any offense, but really, how can anyone love something that looks like that?
Why does his shirt have two testicle holders at the base?
Old 2011-07-22, 00:50
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J View Post
Why does his shirt have two testicle holders at the base?
Overcompensation?

Just watched first 2 episodes of Alphas and first two episodes of Faling Skies.

I don't think I'm gonna watch Alphas anymore, I'm offended by the lack of originality. But I like the autistic kid with the magic AR ability. ...at least it's not another show about vampires. Like 9 out of every 10 sci-fi/drama/fantasy shows that got produced in the last two years were about vampires. So hopefully that trend is over.

Falling Skies - It's ok. Looks like the Half-Life 2 world, but without the humor that makes it so much more fun. Just plain post-apocalyptic world without humor is depressing and sad. Dollhouse had the same problem (even before it got post-apocalyptic). Some people like this kind of thing, I guess, but it's not my thing.

Oh and I wouldn't say those aliens don't look remotely like humans. They do look like they evolved from earthly creatures. They have a face that's fairly similar to a human face. Fungi on wheels... now that would be aliens that don't look remotely like humans.

Last edited by ChaosFish; 2011-07-22 at 01:00.
Old 2011-07-22, 14:13
Classic

True the faces are pretty human. Kinda in a District-9 esq way.
But the lower half is different at least. Still earthy, but at least not biped ape.

I just get so bored with totaly human aliens. I know "the event" would probably explain it as the same generic tree - just as star trek and stargate explain it by "alien seeding of life over the galaxy"....but it still feels a co-out.
Even "v" with its ""they are actualy lizards wareing human skin ontop" is pretty dumb. (ok,they have scaley skin, a tail, and double eyelids - but the very fact they can fit inside human skin shows they are still 90% the same).
And dont get me started on BSG robots that look like sexy human models yet cant do basic plastic suergy to give more then 12 faces bullshit.

I think, basicly, a lot of sci-fi shows are scared that if they attempt aliens these days their show wont be considered "realistic".
So at least FS is attempting something a bit different.
I only hope the aliens are more complex then they seem motivation wise - like maybe the aliens left on earth arnt the smart ones or something. Or theres some actual reason to wanting earth rather then just random conquering.

Your right about the hl feel, btw.
Also maybe the Xcom/UFO games. Cant help but thinking ""capture the alien alive, do the research - get cool new guns and gadgets""
Old 2011-07-23, 02:54
!!!!!

V was terrible. The scene after Anna hit her daughter went something like: (Juliet)"How can a mother do that to her child?" (Tyler)"It's because they're not human. They're aliens." Made me want to PUKE PUKE PUKE over and over and over again.

I think aliens look and act like humans in most TV shows because "real" aliens are too alienating for most viewers.

Tags
series, shows, television