Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > LBA Modifications > LBA Modifications - General

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 2005-03-06, 21:34
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrasilo
- Illumina: That font is a normal 8x8 MS-DOS font. It't stored in the executable files. But that font already has Å and å (it's MS-DOS CP 437), so you don't have to worry about that.
Obras: is there any possibility to edit this font or replace it with another font?
Old 2005-03-06, 22:01
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
- ChaosFish: Yes. To edit it, I can send you a program, EVAFont. It's dated 1990, but still... To extract the font from the executable file(s), don't worry, I'll do it for you, and to put the font back into the executable file(s), don't worry either, I'll make a program, that will replace the existing font there with a new one. Besides, the same kind of fonts you can find in the .CPI files, but don't worry about them, I have a Hebrew 8x8 font, and I'll release it with that program.
Old 2005-03-06, 22:22
Welcome to Zirla!

Send a message via ICQ to Battler Send a message via AIM to Battler Send a message via MSN to Battler Send a message via Yahoo to Battler
OK. Here's the format for that kind of fonts.

Each character in the font, as you see it in a file, represents a line of a screen character. For example:
A is (in MS-DOS, 8x8 stanard EGA/VGA font):
On-screen:
Code:
--------
---#----
--###---
-##-##--
-#####--
-##-##--
-##-##--
--------
Where - is bit 0, and # is bit 1.

Now, consider this:
Code:
2^0 2^1 2^2 2^3 2^4 2^5 2^6 2^7
B8  B7  B6  B5  B4  B3  B2  B1
Thus:
Code:
NUM(10) = B1*1 + B2*2 + B3*4 + B4*8 + B5*16 + B6*32 + B7*64 + B8*128
And you get (for A in MS-DOS):
Code:
00h 10h 38h 6Ch 7Ch 6Ch 6Ch 00h
And you have to consider, that depending of size, the font data is divided in parts of either 8, 14, 16, or 19 (8x19 is a rare font size, and it's almost unused) bytes, depending on the font (8x8, 8x14, etc.), where the 8, 14, etc. means the character height. Now, in the LBA case, we have a 8x8 font, thus there are 8-bytes-per-character. Now, do this: get byte-by-byte in a loop, and convert them into binary data, which you store in an 2-D array (a string of ASCII codes in binary format) (for example: var chardata: array[0..255][1..8] of string[8] in Pascal, where [0..255] is the character, and [1..8] is the pixel line, it's the same, as [b]Dim charadata(0 To 255)(1 To 8) As String * 8 in VB, where string[8] or String * 8 means a string with a fixed width of 8 bytes), and everytime you reach 8 bytes, increase the character counter variable (which has to have an initial value of 0) by 1, and re-set the line counter variable to 0.

For vice-versa, just convert the ASCII codes of the font file characters into binary format, and then consider:
Code:
If bit = 0 then this pixel is empty (has background color).
If bit = 1 then this pixel is filled (has foreground color).
The background and foreground colors are specified in DOS screen data with one byte, which is after each character (NOTE: has nothing to do with the data in the font files),
which in hex has 2 digits: digit 1 = background color, and digit2 = foreground color, thus 1Fh would mean bright white (Fh) on blue (1h).

For more, contact me, either by PM, or by e-mail, or on my forum.
Old 2005-03-06, 23:25
Welcome to Zirla!

Here's a MS-DOS font editor for Windows, made by me.

MS-DOS Font Editor version 1.0.0 by OBrasilo
============================================
1. You don't need to open a text for preview to edit the font. Just edit it in the main dialog box.

2. It can open from and save to two types of font files: .FNT (also .F16, etc.), and from LBA 2/TO executables directly. The support for the Code Page Information (.CPI) files will be added in the future.

3. To edit the font, just click on the area of the font. Left Click = fill area (set current pixel bit to 1), Right Click = empty area (set current pixel bit to 0)*.

4. When you quit the program, if you have the preview dialog box open, close it first (or you can also close it after the program, which is not recommended).

* Current pixel bit = bit of that square in the font file (square (double pixel) in the program , bit in the font file).

Get it here: http://www.obrasilero.com/FontEdit.zip.
Old 2005-03-07, 00:09
Welcome to Zirla!

- ChaosFish: Another thing, I'll release that Hebrew font with the next version of the program, becuase this version can't yet save to a type, different, than the loaded scene's type, but in the next version, I'll implement this.
Old 2005-03-07, 00:19
!!!!!

Wow, you mean you made this program right now?? I must say, you're really good. Thanks!

If this is too much to ask then just tell me (it's not crucial), but can you make a patch that automatically replaces the LBA2.EXE / TWINSEN.EXE font file with an outside font? Like "lba2fontreplace.exe /slovanian_dos.fnt" to replace the MS-DOS font in LBA2 to slovanian_dos font in the same directory? It would be perfect for LBA2 trasnlations installation programs, and it would be awesome for the Hebrew translation.

Anyhow, great work dude, you rule
Old 2005-03-07, 00:26
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrasilo
- ChaosFish: Another thing, I'll release that Hebrew font with the next version of the program, becuase this version can't yet save to a type, different, than the loaded scene's type, but in the next version, I'll implement this.
Awesome!!

--> Split
Old 2005-03-07, 01:01
Welcome to Zirla!

LBA 2 Font Replacer version 1.0.0
=================================

Author: João de Camões (OBrasilo).

Purpose: Replaces the 8x8 MS-DOS font inside the LBA 2 executables with an outside 8x8 MS-DOS font file.

Usage: LBA2Replace "font_file_name" "lba2_path"

NOTE: The quotation marks (") are obbligatory.

Example: LBA2Replace "C:\FONTS\CP862.FNT" "C:\Program Files\Activision\Twinsen's Odyssey"

BTW: Hebrew font (CP862.FNT), 8x8, included, so you can practise a bit, before using this program in an installation package.

Get it here: http://www.obrasilero.com/LBA2Replace.zip.
Old 2005-03-07, 12:41
Tomorrow burns!

Send a message via MSN to Illumina
You know, when I translated the words in the LBA 2 settings menu for keyboards, the "Å" appears then as "+" instead. Well, that's the same thing for the other swedish letters. Things seems different than you think, OBrasilo, when you mentioned that it uses even swedish font.
I think that it's wise to question anyone or anything who thinks that they have the answer. The ultimate sum of all natural laws comprise the concept of God. And I'd have to be smarter than I am to describe it. The only way to enjoy life is to enjoy it and not to try to spend your time to deconstruct it. Ultimately, on the most of tombstones it should read: "Humans: Fretted, worried, prayed, procreated, sacrificed, died anyway." - Devin Townsend
Old 2005-03-07, 15:40
!!!!!

Obras, I worship you!!!

It works! Thank you thank you thank you. You're a very quick programmer, dude!!

(did I mention "thank you"?)
Old 2005-03-07, 15:51
Welcome to Zirla!

- Illumina: This is becuase you typed them in the Windows manner. Did you try to use the KeybGroups?

- ChaosFish: Thanks for appreciating my work.
Old 2005-03-07, 16:02
Tomorrow burns!

OBrasilo: However, what do you mean Keybgroups? Got instructions? Sorry if I didn't read everything you typed around here.
I think that it's wise to question anyone or anything who thinks that they have the answer. The ultimate sum of all natural laws comprise the concept of God. And I'd have to be smarter than I am to describe it. The only way to enjoy life is to enjoy it and not to try to spend your time to deconstruct it. Ultimately, on the most of tombstones it should read: "Humans: Fretted, worried, prayed, procreated, sacrificed, died anyway." - Devin Townsend
Old 2005-03-07, 16:35
Welcome to Zirla!

- Illumina: I hope you'll find this image useful:
Old 2005-03-07, 16:37
Welcome to Zirla!

- Illumina: I got your problem. You're incorrectly using the Western European KeybGroup. Use the SWE/NOR/DAN (stands for: Swedish/Norwegian/Danish) instead. The Western European one is for the standard LBA font, and doesn't have Å or å, while the SWE/NOR/DAN one has.
Old 2005-03-09, 11:08
Tomorrow burns!

Well, I'm using using other text editor than that you mentioned, OBrasilo. It must be called "LBATxt.exe".
Old 2005-03-09, 12:29
Magic Ball Master

Will try this soon

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2005-03-09, 15:57
Welcome to Zirla!

- Illumina: You have to use the one I mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish (QuickStart sticky thread)
LBA Text File Editor: Edit the LBA text, in any language (character mapping feature). Includes the LBA font in standard font format. Also download the update.
NOTE: You MUST download the update. After downloading and unzipping everything (the update in the end), you just have to run the TEXTEDIT.EXE file.
Old 2005-03-09, 16:00
Welcome to Zirla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumina (the signature)
How do the chineses people write in China on computers anyway?
It's simple: for Chinese (both Traditional and Simiplified), Korean, and Japanese, a system, called IME, is used. In this way, you enter the character in an alphabetical script (either Chinese Bopomofo (for traditional; Chinese Latin Pinyin for simplified), Korean alphabetical script, or Latin for Japanse, and the system automatically converts it into the appropriate special characters (of which, you must choose the best one yourself).
Old 2005-03-26, 03:37
!!!!!

OBras: I have a little request for LBA 2 Font Replacer:
Can you please, instead of the "Required parameter missing" massege box, make the LBA2 exe font in current folder be replaced with default FNT file in current folder?
E.G. when in C:\Games\LBA\LBA2, oppening LBA2Replace.exe will automatically replace C:\Games\LBA\LBA2\LBA2.EXE's font with with C:\Games\LBA\LBA2\lba2.fnt.

Thanks in advance Obras
Old 2005-03-26, 07:06
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Will the user have to run this patch manually (like I had to ), or can it be installed automatically with the rest of the files?
Old 2005-03-26, 20:19
!!!!!

That's the thing, I can make the installer have a checkbox (can be default checked) to run the patch, but Install Maker Pro doesn't let me add more commands after the filename.
That's why it would be good to have it use default FNT and folder if non-other specified
Old 2005-03-27, 12:47
Welcome to Zirla!

- ChaosFish: Sure. I'll make this feature.
Old 2005-03-27, 14:31
!!!!!

Thanks!!
Old 2005-03-27, 18:30
Magic level: Ice Ball

Send a message via MSN to morshem
Yeah, thanks a lot Obrasilo!!

C, I think you should put his name in the credits
Old 2005-03-27, 18:45
!!!!!

Of course, on a "special thanks to" even. I won't forget anybody. Don't worry