Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2006-03-15, 17:39
Magic Ball Master

PS3 Delay Official; Worldwide November 2006 Launch Planned

PS3 Delay Official (Source: Gamespot.com)

Quote:
It's Official: PS3 launching worldwide November 2006
[UPDATE] Sony confirms delay for next-gen console, says it will support an Xbox Live-like online gaming service; console will require a 60GB Linux HDD--but will it be sold separately?

TOKYO--Today at the 2006 PlayStation Business Briefing in Tokyo, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutagari made it official--the PlayStation 3 has been delayed. The news confirmed widely circulated Japanese newspaper reports, which said that the delay was due to copyright-protection problems with the next-generation console's Blu-ray drive. For his part, Kutaragi would only say the delay was due to "Blu-ray spec finalization."

Kutaragi told the crowd at the event that the PS3 would now launch in November 2006 worldwide. That dispelled fears that the console would make it to Japan in time by the fall, but would miss the all-important holiday shopping season in the US and Europe. In fact, Kutaragi explicitly told the crowd of game retailers and journalists present that the PS3 would arrive before Thanksgiving in all territories.

Besides the delay, Kutaragi also made official another widely reported aspect of the PS3. He said that Sony is indeed preparing an Xbox Live-like online gaming service for the console, which would be called the "PlayStation Network Platform." Though he was short on specifics, the executive did say that currently Sony planned the service to be "free."

While the simultaneous tri-territory PS3 scheme may sound much like Microsoft's international launch of the Xbox 360, Sony plans to avoid the shortages that befell its competitor. Kutaragi said that the company plans on producing at least one million units of the console each month in order to keep the supply channel full. He said the goal was to ship 6 million PS3s worldwide by March 2007.

[UPDATE] The SCE president also told the crowd that the PS3 would use a 60GB 2.5" hard disc drive (HDD). A slide show during the presentation said the HDD would will be loaded with the Linux operating system versus Microsoft's Windows OS. The show also said it could be used as a "home server" and be directly connected to the Internet, and be full "upgradeable."

Kutaragi also made it clear that the hard drive will be necessary to play games--Sony is telling developers to make games assuming every PS3 has a hard drive installed. "We view the Hard Drive to be mandatory for the PS3," he said. "Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

However, Kutaragi revealed that Sony had not decided whether or not the PlayStation 3 would come with the hard-drive pre-installed. "We might end up installing it in all PS3s, though that depends on the market," he said. This raises the possibility that the PS3 could be sold without a piece of hardware needed to play PS3 games--in effect forcing consumers to buy a peripheral for basic functionality.

Kutaragi also said that PS3 games would be released only on Blu-ray discs, as DVDs have become too easy for software pirates to duplicate. The high-capacity format is capable of storing around 50GB on a single disc. Sony reps confirmed the PS3 will still play DVDs and CDs, as well as PS2 and PSone discs, as previously announced.
By Tor Thorsen, Brendan Sinclair, Henry Niizumi -- GameSpot
Posted Mar 14, 2006 11:07 pm PT
I'm not surprised, but at least we'll see it for the holiday season which, if the price is around $299-$399, I'll still be purchasing one. I still believe they will need to have a price of $299 USD, since anything higher is too much for casual gamers (i.e. only play Madden).

Also of particular interest - Kutaragi says that the 60 GB HD must be present to play PS3 games (though that doesn't mean it would be needed to emulate PS1/2). Many speculate Sony could pull a fast one and make people buy the HD peripheral in order to provide the needed functionality for the console - similar to X-Box forcing users to buy the DVD kit...but does anyone really think Sony would be that stupid to not include the HD in the package? I mean, it would seem easier for them to include in and raise the price accordingly rather than sell it separately - unless, of course, they want to make their launch price appear lower (however artificial).

Thoughts?
Old 2006-03-15, 18:42
The return of

I have the core system, (although i bought the harddrive, and it never arrived) you dont need any extra kit (apart from a memory card). The HD-DVD is a extra add on. None the less it would be unfortunate if Sony did not put a hard drive in. Theyre already making too many mistakes (Blu Ray will either cause the customer or Sony to bleed money, depending on the price they sell the system for)

The delay is giving Microsoft a huge lead, by the time PS3 comes out, Microsoft will have a line up of some pretty damn amazing games (Halo 3, Oblivion, Gears of War, Ghost Recon etc...) And that could kill sony's sales, not to mention, if microsoft reduces the console price, that will fuck up sonys launch. Personally PS3 and 360 are two sides of the same coin, i look forward to Nintendo's Revolution.
Old 2006-03-15, 20:22
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
BluRay/HDDVD have messed themselves up, and both are going to have horribly slow uptakes.
While the PS3 will be popular, BluRays will not.
Average joe public wont know the difference, and the techy people are mostly pissed off by the forced digital output. (as well as other heavy DRM crap)

Sony just keeps trying and trying to get their own media format, not seeing that its hurting the bit of the buisness that is actualy makeing them money; Games.
("Ps3 is not a games machine!! WE never said it was a games machine!!")
Old 2006-03-15, 20:32
The return of

If it isnt a games machine, what is it?
Old 2006-03-15, 22:44

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
They might as well rename it to something other than a PlayStation.
Old 2006-03-15, 23:26
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
WONDERstation ?
God-Machine ?
More-powerfull-the-superman-spiderman-and-The-hulk-put-together-machine?

No
I think what Sony is going for is "Family Supercomputer"
Old 2006-03-15, 23:43
Magic Ball Master

I have a feeling the Famisupacom wouldn't sell as well as the PS3.
Old 2006-03-16, 01:12
Classic

I just realised it would be that
Yes, good point.
Old 2006-03-16, 01:28
Magic Ball Master

Pssht, they all should have agreed on Blu-Ray, imho. Not only does it have greater capacity than the HD-DVD, but the new patented polymer coating makes the discs virtually impenatrable to damage (obviously if you take a sledgehammer to the thing, it will probably not be in your best interest )

I agree though, the whole DVD format is going to end up hurting these companies...is this a replay of the betamax/VHS wars all over again?
Old 2006-03-16, 18:44
Classic

The polymer was nesscery because bluray was more valnerable to start with. (before it was nesscery to keep them in a case, like very old cd's )

Overall durability is about the same.

Quote:
I agree though, the whole DVD format is going to end up hurting these companies...is this a replay of the betamax/VHS wars all over again?
Worse.
This time theres hardly any real difference to the end user
Betamax VS VHS at least had a choice of features.

Now they are pretty much the same.
Dispite Bluray storeing more, Both are easily good enough to store HDTV for a few hours, and both have the disadvantage of DRM crap (and forced digital inputs on your tv, too)

I guese blu-ray has the advantage of being able to have multiple films on a disc though. (so, you could have, all of a trillogy or something for sale in one nice set)
Old 2006-03-16, 18:55
formerly just angry

Hmmm I think this is a real big mistake for Sony. Microsoft will be well away by then plus the reduced price of Rev should allow Ninendo a good grip on the casual gamer - especially if they brand it as well as the DS. Sony on the other hand need to be worrying about getting their maRKET right - a strategy required for PSP also (Lemmings?!? wtf - this is a machine for visual whores not Amiga fans)
Old 2006-03-16, 20:54
Classic

Quote:
(Lemmings?!? wtf - this is a machine for visual whores not Amiga fans)
That was purely for sony to annoy the DS...which is a perfect machine for that sort of game
It was sony going; "nah nah nah..we own this company..nah nah"
Old 2006-03-17, 01:28
The return of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J
Pssht, they all should have agreed on Blu-Ray, imho. Not only does it have greater capacity than the HD-DVD, but the new patented polymer coating makes the discs virtually impenatrable to damage (obviously if you take a sledgehammer to the thing, it will probably not be in your best interest )

Blu Ray is twice as expensive. The capacity isnt even going to be used up in either formats (unless multiple movies). No article mentioned it being more durable :s. From a business prespective, HD DVD will cost most companies far less to upgrade to seeing as it is based on current DVD technlogy. From a consumer prespective, it will become far easier to integrete seeing as its based on current technology.

In the end of the day, a Blu Ray drive will cost between 1000-1500$ while a hd-dvd between 250-500$, and the consumer will far more likely go for the cheaper. Sony made the same mistake with their Bravia TVs, putting in loads of features no body cares about, and raising the cost enormously!
Old 2006-03-17, 02:47
Classic

Not forgetting a lot of companies are experimenting with digital/online distribution.
I'm not just talking about the pc here either, theres already download systems in the states for TV, and the BBC is trailing something similar here.
I dont think they are HD quality yet, but it wouldn't take much of an upgrade.
For those that have seen/used Skyplus, imagine if you could watch *any* show on its database, rather then merely ones that were pre-recorded?
Obviously, it would cost, but it would be basicaly the same as a dvd rental wouldnt it?

Everywhere in the UK will have 4MB/s asdl broadband at least by next year.
With Xvid compress a decent quality 40 minute show (720p) is about 700MB.
I think if the bluray/hddvd's dont catch on within 2 years, there would have completely missed the boat
Old 2006-03-17, 15:04
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axx
Blu Ray is twice as expensive. The capacity isnt even going to be used up in either formats (unless multiple movies). No article mentioned it being more durable :s. From a business prespective, HD DVD will cost most companies far less to upgrade to seeing as it is based on current DVD technlogy. From a consumer prespective, it will become far easier to integrete seeing as its based on current technology.

In the end of the day, a Blu Ray drive will cost between 1000-1500$ while a hd-dvd between 250-500$, and the consumer will far more likely go for the cheaper. Sony made the same mistake with their Bravia TVs, putting in loads of features no body cares about, and raising the cost enormously!
Weren't all DVD players around $1000 USD+ when they first came out?

Producers of Blu-Ray aren't retarded (at least, I don't think so ), it would be economic suicide to not match prices with the HD-DVD players.

And as far as it being more durable - even IGN discussed the polymer coating on the discs, do a google for it.
Old 2006-03-17, 15:15
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame
I think if the bluray/hddvd's dont catch on within 2 years, there would have completely missed the boat
I agree. I'm still getting used to DVD's
Old 2006-03-17, 15:49
Magic Ball Master

I'm waiting the PS3 release to get a PS2

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2006-03-17, 16:12
Classic

Quote:

Producers of Blu-Ray aren't retarded (at least, I don't think so ), it would be economic suicide to not match prices with the HD-DVD players.

And as far as it being more durable - even IGN discussed the polymer coating on the discs, do a google for it.
The polymer coating is great, but
a) Not exclusive to bluray...HDDVD's or even normal DVD's could use, purely at the manufacturers discretion
b) Bluray was much more vulnerable to start with. The coating was necessary to compensate for its sensitivity.

I mean, the coating was a great invention, because without it BluRay discs would need to be kept in a plastic case. (*cough*UMD*cough*)
But overall, they will both be just like DVD's to handle.

As for price, yes, it would be suicide for one to charge more.
But BluRays are more expensive to make..that could have knock-on effects,
Depends how much of a lose-leader they are planning.

Either way, I dont think either will ever have the same penetration as DVD does.
Old 2006-03-17, 21:38
The return of

One thing i noticed is no body talking about the speed of BluRay drives. The current speed of bluray for PS3 is 1x, however being 4mbps, it would be suicidal to keep it, and far more costly to increase the speed on it (it would have to be a minimum of 3x to have acceptable loading speeds). If it remains at 1x, it will take on average 60 secs to load something the drive in the 360 loads in 15 seconds.

HD-DVD will roll out with average DVD loading times, which is a huge plus.
Old 2006-03-19, 05:16
Zebrazilla

I bet they've forgot the whole aspect of actually being able to play your games, somewhere along the line. *sigh*

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2006-03-23, 16:18
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
GDC 2006: PS3 at GDC
All the stories so far from the big realtime megaton event. Plus, a few PS2 and PSP stories to round out the joy.
by IGN Staff

March 22, 2006 - While Sony Computer Entertainment didn't hit its big February 2006 calendar date for unveiling the PlayStation 3 (as originally set last year at E3 2005), the PS3 is finally here in full form. Last week in Japan, SCE outlined the business plans for PS3, including the worldwide launch in November, the online plans, and the future business opportunities this new platform affords. This morning's GDC 2006 presentation featured many of the same details, with updates on all of those facts and figures. The big difference, of course, was that we got games!

At the platform keynote address entitled "PlayStation 3: Beyond the Box" at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison presented the future of PlayStation with a full unveiling of realtime PS3 games. Included in the demonstration were Warhawk, Resistance (formerly I-8), Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, a next-gen singing game in the SongStar franchise, and (although only on video) even a brand new Ratchet & Clank game.

Not to be left out, the conference also hit on a number of developments for current-gen PlayStation systems, including a vicious trailer for the newly-announced God of War II on PS2 and a little look at the super-cute, super-fun PSP game, LocoRoco (which should finally be coming to America -- hurray!)

Filming or broadcasting of any kind was forbidden at the GDC event, so we can't bring you video or shots of any of this cool stuff -- you'll just have to read about it and picture it all in your mind until we can get official media. For a full look at all of these stories and more, check out this index of developments from the event, and stay tuned for more live coverage from GDC 2006.
IGN PS3: GDC 2006 FAQ
Old 2006-03-26, 21:36
Magic Ball Master

A number of sites are confirming that Sony says it will include the 60 GB HDD in the package with all PS3's, which is great news! This should eliminate the need for "core" and "complete" systems like the X-Box 360 had...though it probably ensures a $399 price tag at least.
Old 2006-03-27, 18:27
The return of

399$? The estimated cost was 600$ at minimum
Old 2006-03-27, 19:21
Classic

$700-800 is what it will cost sony.

But they will probably do a lose-leader, to bring that down to $400.
Same thing they did with the PSP.
(Its unlikely they have turned a profit on that yet)
Old 2006-03-27, 19:37
The return of

What i read was that it costed around 900$ to make, and that it would cost600$ or 500$ min (speaking of which, the xbox 360 costed around that much, and whats the chance sony will cost less?)

However predicted price for the uk, i read, was 350-450£ which is DAMN expenssive!