Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2009-12-11, 21:45
Do the evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot13 View Post
This sounds really interesting Jan! Why don't you write a book about it, and I'll see you somewhere next year on a random Game Convention telling us how it all works. Be aware though - the usual speakers will be pissed for you finding out the truth that they're largely copying each other.
Well that's awfully critical of you! So, whatever anyone who did publish tells you you'll think is the ultimate truth? Don't you even have a discussion after bathing in the lecturers glory??? What year are you on btw?

Last edited by Jasiek; 2009-12-11 at 21:50.
Old 2009-12-11, 21:56
weee

Probably Zed's magic mushrooms. They're delicious!
Old 2009-12-11, 22:28
Do the evolution.

I said "year".
Old 2009-12-11, 22:44
weee

Oh.

Btw, Sam & Max season 3 is near.
Old 2009-12-11, 23:00
Zebrazilla

Great. I have yet to finish the second season though. Kind of end up quitting in the middle of that.

Anyway, here's a Face of Mankind video I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpXOnnBGw_0

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2009-12-11, 23:07
weee

Your faction has disco parties then?
Old 2009-12-11, 23:24
Zebrazilla

Totally.

LBA Speedruns
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% PC - Time: 01h 04m 23s
Personal Best - LBA 1 - Any% Android - Time: 01h 04m 35s
Old 2009-12-12, 01:59
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasiek View Post
Well that's awfully critical of you! So, whatever anyone who did publish tells you you'll think is the ultimate truth? Don't you even have a discussion after bathing in the lecturers glory??? What year are you on btw?
Plenty of discussions, pretty much always. But I do believe a research with proven facts is of higher value than someone just saying "it isn't so".
Old 2009-12-12, 02:04
Neko

The 'what year are you' comment I think should be awarded for the: 'I look down on you but try to make it less obvious' - award.
Old 2009-12-12, 02:24
Do the evolution.

That's good then Bot, but none of the stuff you provided had an (in my mind) actual explanation, just demographics and the tactics the game creators will use to keep the players interested (and I don't think anyone has any issue with those facts, including myself). But there wasn't anything more then that. As I said, if you look at games that are "non gear" based, you'll notice that most of the time they're not that successful (despite the community aspects being very much in there), also with 2D based games, the most sought after things are not the interactions and the community aspects, but acquired "sets" for your characters, usually people will spend a great deal of money on those. Hence I think there is a hint that the "community" mantra has been spread a bit too long, and it's a bit untrue - or at least it's not the core of the issue. Even what you said, that the women want the community, and men want the stats and competition, doesn't in my mind explain why both of the sexes are equally drawn to the game in the first place. It's like seeing a new candy bar in a shop, and then upon eating it, saying you bought it cause you liked the taste...

And yes, I have issues with academic papers. Read tons of those over the past four years, and I see a trend since the late 1890's to now, with less and less original thought, and more of "novelizations" of tables and statistics. They all lack a leading idea. With the amount of Bachelors and PHD's done every year, each paper written is just a great sum of all the ones that came before on a particular subject. And it's not just a wild theory of mine, try stating an idea, and not not provide a source for it, or an authority it came from - even if it is just fact based deduction, you'll get scoffed at for not providing a source - and if you can "get away" with it, then I envy you...

Jesse no, it meant that usually, in the first year or two (sometimes longer with some hard cases) in Uni, people get all hyped about all the "wisdom" they're surrounded in, and then go around and spread it like it's some gospel. And later on, the proper pose kicks in, namely that there are no authorities on any subject, and anyone can be wrong and should be always disputed. Even if their data is correct, and there's good science being done, they can always be either dead wrong in their theories, or don't go further then just stating the obvious (which is the case most of the times).

Last edited by Jasiek; 2009-12-12 at 02:38.
Old 2009-12-12, 13:19
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
That's good then Bot, but none of the stuff you provided had an (in my mind) actual explanation, -
Quote:
- in Uni, people get all hyped about all the "wisdom" they're surrounded in, and then go around and spread it like it's some gospel. -
Like you said. I never provided an actual explanation, I'm just passing on what I've learned, because the current market focuses on those facts, and is making millions with them.

Quote:
-or don't go further then just stating the obvious (which is the case most of the times).
Congratulations, you just dismissed science.
Old 2009-12-12, 15:32
Do the evolution.

Ok, well then tell me, if the theory of gravity, or evolution, are also just stating the obvious why did it took so long?

No, the scientific process takes facts, invents a hypothesis to explain those facts, and then checks it in practice - and thus the hypothesis becomes a theory, and a law.

If someone just states the facts, and has no theory to explain them, then it's not really what science is about.

Anyway, is there some point in the future at which you're going to at least try and have a discussion here (like, take the adversaries argument, find logical flaws in it, and evidence against it)? Or are you just going to sit like that, being all unhappy someone tries to argue with your dogma and gurus?

Hey, I may be wrong, who knows, but "people smarter then me have other views then you" isn't really an argument!

Last edited by Jasiek; 2009-12-12 at 15:38.
Old 2009-12-12, 15:39
Neko

Quote:

And yes, I have issues with academic papers. Read tons of those over the past four years, and I see a trend since the late 1890's to now, with less and less original thought, and more of "novelizations" of tables and statistics. They all lack a leading idea. With the amount of Bachelors and PHD's done every year, each paper written is just a great sum of all the ones that came before on a particular subject. And it's not just a wild theory of mine, try stating an idea, and not not provide a source for it, or an authority it came from - even if it is just fact based deduction, you'll get scoffed at for not providing a source - and if you can "get away" with it, then I envy you...

Man I so agree with this part. It is almost impossible to come to different conclusions than what has already been established in that particular subject. I hate that about Uni. I had this problem both in a class about child psychology and in information engineering ( 2 studies :P ).
Old 2009-12-12, 18:37
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Very true.
Original thought is practically penalised in academic systems.

Its easier to check facts (X said Y) then logic.

Last edited by Darkflame; 2009-12-12 at 18:46.
Old 2009-12-12, 18:40
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Very true.
Original thought is practically penalised in academic systems.
So called 'scientist' should realise that their own trail of thought is often not so objective as they like to think.
Old 2009-12-12, 19:42
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
Anyway, is there some point in the future at which you're going to at least try and have a discussion here (like, take the adversaries argument, find logical flaws in it, and evidence against it)? Or are you just going to sit like that, being all unhappy someone tries to argue with your dogma and gurus?

Hey, I may be wrong, who knows, but "people smarter then me have other views then you" isn't really an argument!
Well I don't have to "try" and have a discussion, because as far as I know we're having a discussion right now. I don't mean to be harsh or closedminded, just to set that straight.

Every research needs a summary of facts, and conclusions can be taken from that. Now, of course the conclusion can change, from "A lot of people are playing this game" to "Only 16% of the female gamers over 20 years old is playing this game". It just depends on what you're researching and how you're interpreting the facts.

And unlike you're implicating I'm not blindly following "people smarter than me" because most of the times we're having a discussion with the researcher/developer/whatever in person, and then we make up our own minds on the subject.

I'm just saying you have a right to have an opinion, but you're acting like I'm the one with closed eyes, blatantly accepting everything that I'm told.
In the meantime I however think you could be more openminded to whatever theories and researches that have already been done, and not just dismissing someone who has been to numeral lectures about the subject because "he's just following people". I'm not, I have my own opinion, but the facts state something entirely different than what you're saying here.

This is why I recommended you to read in on the subject, because there might be information that could be useful. Like, I don't know, numerics, statistics. Anything to build a foundation for your so-called theory about a subject, other than "it's something else than the mass population accepted, so I'm being all new and fresh on this".

That's the only thing I was saying. I don't need to get all into the subject itself, I'm just saying that I've heard something very different to what you're stating, and you would benefit from checking some sources first.
Old 2009-12-12, 20:03
Neko

Aside from the point about uni, I do think Jasiek's still acting like he's talking to a junior. I don't know how you come across in real life Jan, but I would consider this attitude twice.
Old 2009-12-12, 20:20
Do the evolution.

Jesse, my tone here is only a response to Bot's condescending and "all wise" "let me explain it to you" tone in his first post (#296 to be precise) and somewhat the same tone continued in the other posts.

Now that's cleared, I'm going back to work.
Old 2009-12-12, 20:22
Neko

Quote:
Jesse, my tone here is only a response to Bot's condescending tone in his first post (#296 to be precise) and somewhat the same tone continued in the other posts.

Now that's cleared, I'm going back to work.
It's just a constructive feedback attempt. Whatever you do with it, is your choice
Old 2009-12-12, 21:02
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
So called 'scientist' should realise that their own trail of thought is often not so objective as they like to think.
No ones thoughts are objective, that's why science is a collection of hundreds of thousands of peer-reviewed thoughts and demands reproduced results in order for theory's to be validated.

Thats no reason, however, to denigh original thinking in submitted papers.
As long as its structured and reasoned, and provided evidence to back up its view. Its then up to others to confirm or disprove the results.

Science in many ways is a filter. You want as much original thinking as possible, even if 99.9999% of it ends up being dismissed.
Old 2010-01-19, 15:34
weee

OMG check this out: Naughty Bear

Look at both trailers. It looks so cool!
Old 2010-02-17, 14:05
weee

Fallout 4!!
HD teaser: FalloutNewVegas_Teaser_US_HD.mp4

Wow, this teaser looks really intriguing. Did civilization finally form again in the Fallout world?
Old 2010-02-17, 21:10
Idyllic + whimsical

From what I understood it's an expansion and not a sequel.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2010-02-17, 22:59
weee

It's a new game, not an expansion.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas

Quote:
Fallout: New Vegas is an upcoming role-playing video game developed by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Bethesda Softworks. While New Vegas is not a direct sequel, it will use the same engine and be in the same style as Fallout 3, and is being developed by some of the people who worked on previous Fallout games at Black Isle Studios.
This is pretty rad, as the Black Isle Studio guys didn't work on Fallout 3.

[edit]
But this isn't Fallout 4 either, apparently.
Old 2010-02-18, 00:46
Look beyond reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
This is pretty rad, as the Black Isle Studio guys didn't work on Fallout 3.
As far as I remember they did. But then it got canceled (back in 03 or 04) and Bethesda took it over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr1OcNPpSro

And I'm pretty confident this is a completely new game, not a DLC.

Tags
games, videogames