Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Music
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Music The place for all your music creations

Old 2016-07-18, 17:54
the legend

a love song

It's been a while I don't post anything here, but when I do it comes with a videoclip as well, so... hope you enjoy.
Composition, recording, mixing, filming, editing, etc. all me and me and me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WOlFGu2a8U

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2016-07-18, 21:37
Amnesti

I love songs which have a calm to it, i certainly feel you managed to make a video with that feeling too! The panning shots of the countryside, your delicate guitar play, and those chimes was a nice touch. Beautiful is basically all i can sum it up with, what a beautiful video!

It almost looked like you pushed her in the end
last place LBA ANY% 52:59
https://www.twitch.tv/amnesti

Citadel Island in Unity
https://forum.magicball.net/showthread.php?t=17983
Old 2016-07-19, 01:14
FreemanQC

Send a message via MSN to gravel22
Really nice video all in all but I would like to know who's behind all of this and what he have in mind. Are you a amateur or pro video artist? Manual mode or automatic?

Well it must be hard filming yourself playing guitar with that aperture. We're you around 1.4 and 2.8? I find some of the guitar shots too bright. I love the color at 53 seconds when you're playing harp it's beautiful. I would have loved a matched tone with the guitar scene.

Also you should add stabilization to your videos, ie in car it's not clean and there's a lot of rolling shutter. What's the camera? DSLR? What lenses?

I like the eye opening effect but I don't like it's a still image. Same thing with the first woman image. A video would have been a lot more dynamic there.

At the end there's a white vertical vignetting that looks rubbish. It looks like you wanted to create a souvenir effect to the video. I would have create a plain white layer with a round in it. Then put a mask over the video with a gaussian blur. Would have given the effect but more smooth.

Also you need to increase your frame rate and shutter speed when doing slow mo shots. Like at the end it looks like 24p slowed down of 50%, you end up at 12 images second and we can see it's not fluid.

The music is beautiful and I like how it sounds. A little bit boomy with the lows but I understand how hard it is to make an acoustic guitar to sound correctly in a mix.

I'm really interested in looking at your next production. I suggest you watch more, more, more and more videos and read lots of forums. I myself learned a lot on Facebook groups Sony A7S Video Shooters is a good one.

I gave my opinion and I hope it's okay but in the other post it looked like you wanted it :P

Great job man!
Little Big Adventure Former World Record Holder (53:40:80) see on Twitch below

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-07-19, 03:28
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevX View Post
I love songs which have a calm to it, i certainly feel you managed to make a video with that feeling too! The panning shots of the countryside, your delicate guitar play, and those chimes was a nice touch. Beautiful is basically all i can sum it up with, what a beautiful video!

It almost looked like you pushed her in the end
Thank you so much. <3

No, she was just sitting there quietly and soon afterwards I just turned off the camera to join her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel22 View Post
Really nice video all in all but I would like to know who's behind all of this and what he have in mind. Are you a amateur or pro video artist? Manual mode or automatic?
Thank you for your questions. I am an amateur, doing stuff for myself. This was just a simple gift for a girl, and in no way is intended to be professional or anything (although I tried to make it as nicer as possible within reason, obviously). All focusing is manual, manual mode.

Quote:
Well it must be hard filming yourself playing guitar with that aperture. We're you around 1.4 and 2.8?
It was. I used a mirror, but still, had to record several takes to only use a few that were actually the way I wanted. The aperture is hard to tell because even though I filmed in 5.0, there's a macro/close-up filter attached that changes everything. I suppose it got to something equivalent to 1.4 in the end.

Quote:
I love the color at 53 seconds when you're playing harp it's beautiful. I would have loved a matched tone with the guitar scene.

Also you should add stabilization to your videos, ie in car it's not clean and there's a lot of rolling shutter. What's the camera? DSLR? What lenses?
Color correction was a rather lazy process because I wanted to finish everything quickly... so just a few touches here and there (which I why I've attempted to film everything with the correct exposure and settings first, to avoid loads of work in the post processing). Thanks for observing these details.

I'm not sure how to add stabilization. Should I use a plugin for that?

I use a Nikon DSLR, 18-140mm, with filters for close-ups, and other filters.

Quote:
I like the eye opening effect but I don't like it's a still image. Same thing with the first woman image. A video would have been a lot more dynamic there.

At the end there's a white vertical vignetting that looks rubbish. It looks like you wanted to create a souvenir effect to the video. I would have create a plain white layer with a round in it. Then put a mask over the video with a gaussian blur. Would have given the effect but more smooth.

Also you need to increase your frame rate and shutter speed when doing slow mo shots. Like at the end it looks like 24p slowed down of 50%, you end up at 12 images second and we can see it's not fluid.
To these things I can only say it was not a planned project, rather a gift made up with many actual memories and stuff I had in my HD, that's why.

As for the white vignette... it is meant to be dream-like, remembering a beautiful day that is long gone, perhaps it could've be even less noticeable, but I pretty much like how it is.

Quote:
The music is beautiful and I like how it sounds. A little bit boomy with the lows but I understand how hard it is to make an acoustic guitar to sound correctly in a mix.
Thanks, mate. It was very hard to EQ the guitar, indeed, mostly because I've wanted a raw and natural sound as possible (no reverbs, etc), and my acoustic has an amazing sound in real life so I was trying to match that. I didn't notice any boomyness in my headphones but they do happen in my monitor speakers - is that strange?

Quote:
I'm really interested in looking at your next production. I suggest you watch more, more, more and more videos and read lots of forums. I myself learned a lot on Facebook groups Sony A7S Video Shooters is a good one.

I gave my opinion and I hope it's okay but in the other post it looked like you wanted it :P

Great job man!
Well... I'm mostly a musician, even though I like filming and editing... thanks for the advice in any case.

Yes, feedback is never too much (as long as it is fair and honest). If you do make other clips of your band I'll be most interested in watching!

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2016-07-19, 18:22
FreemanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarist View Post
Thank you for your questions. I am an amateur, doing stuff for myself. This was just a simple gift for a girl, and in no way is intended to be professional or anything (although I tried to make it as nicer as possible within reason, obviously). All focusing is manual, manual mode.
That's awesome man! I see a lot of great stuff in this and I think you could work with music bands and do more videos like that. You're pretty good!

Quote:
I'm not sure how to add stabilization. Should I use a plugin for that?
Stabilization plugin should always be used to correct small stuff or recover important footage. You should always buy a stabilizer, there's a lot of cheap ones that'll do the job. I use a 2000$ Came Mini 3 gimbal but you could check out a glidecam like this one, it's cheap and will do a great job. Just be careful to weight your camera setup and buy a glidecam that'll match the weight.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lizer_for.html

Quote:
I didn't notice any boomyness in my headphones but they do happen in my monitor speakers - is that strange?
Absolutely. Good headphones can handle the lows better and that's why you gotta be careful mastering with. Always listen to your stuff on shitty laptop speakers, iphone, etc. Then in the end on your best speakers. I usually listen while mixing in headphones first, then iMac speakers, then 10k reference sound system. I do the same while mastering. Then after I think my track is perfect I listen it on my iPhone, which is the shittiest speaker I have.

I'm a LBA speedrunner find me on and SPEEDRUN.COM subscribe to my twitch channel.
Old 2016-07-19, 19:58
the legend

Thanks for the tips and comments. Best of luck for you too!

Quote:
Then after I think my track is perfect I listen it on my iPhone, which is the shittiest speaker I have.

Old 2016-07-19, 20:14
the legend

Quote:
I think you could work with music bands and do more videos like that. You're pretty good!
Hey! I do have a band... we didn't make any actual videoclips though, we just jam around in pubs and stuff. Like...:

https://www.facebook.com/roy.numbat/...7231730300327/

Old 2016-07-19, 22:14
FreemanQC

Quote:
Hey! I do have a band... we didn't make any actual videoclips though, we just jam around in pubs and stuff. Like...:

https://www.facebook.com/roy.numbat/...7231730300327/
Great! Happy to see a 12 strings live. Oh and happy to see I'm not the only one using his iPad as a music book.

Old 2016-07-20, 04:41
the legend

Old 2016-07-22, 15:24
weee

That's lovely
Old 2016-07-23, 05:18
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
That's lovely
thanks fishos
Old 2016-07-24, 12:39
Neko

sounds really calm and nice, kinda pro too. The guitar feels recorded very intimately close.
Old 2016-07-25, 01:42
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
sounds really calm and nice, kinda pro too. The guitar feels recorded very intimately close.
Thanks! I've used this awesome microphone I bought while I was there in Europe... the Rode NT1a ( http://www.rode.com/microphones/nt1-a ), first time using it and really enjoying, works for everything.

Old 2016-08-25, 14:59
the legend

BY THE WAY

Whoever can guess what is the reeded instrument I am playing (other than the harmonica!) featured in the video gets A COOKIE.

C'mon, give it a try...

Old 2016-09-06, 11:16
Neko

Quote:
Thanks! I've used this awesome microphone I bought while I was there in Europe... the Rode NT1a ( http://www.rode.com/microphones/nt1-a ), first time using it and really enjoying, works for everything.
hmm gonna sell mine and buy a new one
Old 2016-12-11, 02:40
the legend

Quote:
BY THE WAY

Whoever can guess what is the reeded instrument I am playing (other than the harmonica!) featured in the video gets A COOKIE.

C'mon, give it a try...
Oh well cookie for me then.

Old 2016-12-13, 08:28
Polly parrot

Are you talking about the bandoneon ?

Cute vid and music
Old 2016-12-13, 21:54
the legend

Thanks polly, but nope, that's not a bandoneon !

Old 2016-12-14, 00:29
Polly parrot

Ah found it, concertina
I'm clueless as to what the difference is though
Old 2016-12-14, 00:45
the legend

(the difference my friend, is... everything, it's like comparing a flute and a ocarina - the size, shape, notes scale, the way the notes are arranged, the tone!!!, size of keys, etc.)
Old 2016-12-15, 19:18
Polly parrot

Well, accordions are an instrument family I didn't have time to deal with yet

Thanks for the cookie though