Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2008-01-27, 22:23
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

LBA 2 Music/Sound Problem

Hey there everyone,

I'm new on here, so sorry if this sort of thread has been made a million times before. Basically, I installed LBA 2 on my laptop today but had to use some sort of downloaded patch to make it work properly, because otherwise the screen would go all blurry and weird. I'm using XP.

With the patch it's working well, apart from the sound- it goes off randomly, even though in the menu the music will still be playing. Sometimes, it will come back on again, but for literally only a few seconds.

Do you guys know of anything that will stop this from happening? LBA 2 is not the same without the music or sounds.

Thanks in advance!

(Twinsen emotes?! That's so cool.)
Old 2008-01-27, 22:27
Magic Ball Master

Oh oh, the good old sound problem, yes there have been threads about this before, tons to be exactly, but reading them wouldn't have helped you. There's currently no fix for that at all, you can only try to search for the problem at your system.

We have a patch for way too loud sounds, which in turn creates annoying clicks in dialogue and music. But that won't help you much here, either.
Old 2008-01-27, 22:38

Really? So there's nothing I can download to solve this problem? How annoying!

I made a mistake in my original post by saying that I'm using XP- I'm actually using Vista (I get muddled between my computer and my laptop). So will using a different system make any difference at all? If I used XP instead of Vista?
Old 2008-01-27, 22:50
Magic Ball Master

Vista has most recorded problems currently - sometimes using compability modes helps, at least XP has them, I don't know about Vista.
Old 2008-01-27, 22:51

Hmm, well, I guess I'll have to give it a go on my computer and hope for the best.

Thank you very much for the assistance, Kobold!

EDIT- Tried it on my computer, and it worked! Wahey!

Last edited by lizardgirl; 2008-01-27 at 23:08.
Old 2008-01-27, 23:08
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Yes, try with compatibility mode, are you aware of what it is?

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2008-02-06, 11:33
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
lizardgirl: you will see that both the sound problem and the car problem ( maybe you haven't experienced this one yet ) happen at random ... on the same computer, try playing LBA2 again after you reinstall your Windows several times and you will have a surprise: on some Windows installations it works, on some it doesn't
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-02-06, 13:38
Magic Ball Master

But that sounds like a lot of work. And didn't Microsoft get some limit on how often you may activate your Windows?
Old 2008-02-06, 21:19
Twinsunian Quetch

huh ??? was that a sarcastic joke ? dude who activates ?
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-02-06, 21:43
Magic Ball Master

Well, I happen to be one of those who actually buy their windows. I don't know what you would have thought.
Old 2008-02-06, 23:50
Twinsunian Quetch

wow that's something ... anyway I can't blame u cause after all you do the RIGHT thing and we are doing the wrong one so all I can say is bravo and I really admire this ... but windows should really charge way less or be BETTER damn it !!! it's the most expensive OS and the worst ...
Old 2008-02-07, 00:02
Magic Ball Master

Windows sucks and is too expensive, that's true. But I had enough money to afford it when already buying a new PC, so I couldn't see why not.
Old 2008-02-07, 15:20
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
I've heard that sometimes comps with linux costs more than identical computers with Windows, due to included viruses/spyware (aka yahoo search, skype-in-built, all-the-web etc.)

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2008-02-07, 19:47
Twinsunian Quetch

buying a PC is stupid ... why not make it from scratch with individual components ??? I never like what they offer me anyway
Old 2008-02-07, 20:05
Magic Ball Master

Ehm, that's actually what I did, and I still call it "buying a PC".
Old 2008-02-09, 10:44
Twinsunian Quetch

lol well I was referring to those who buy the PC as a whole with the store's configuration ... u know crappy parts put up all together, making it look like a powerful system, just to get rid of the crappy components
Old 2008-02-09, 14:29
Father of Shoda

We always bought parts not a pre-built computer.

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2008-02-10, 21:08
RobG from different angle

I usually buy a "piece of crap" to start out with but thats mainly when the majority of hardware has to be changed. (e.g. when they switched from IDE to SATA harddrives, and those fancy new video cards with their fancy sli thingies and whatnot) and i need a new cabinet, which means usually once every what, decade or so :P
Other than that, its spare parts ^^ its always the cheapest way to go.

Anyway as with regards to the topic starter
Have you tried the alternate way of getting it to run (hint: check the link in my sig )
Basically using dosbox and a simple cd image maker/converter - you should be able to get lba 2 running perfectly without the use of cd's/patches/hotfixes.

To sum up really fast:
Make an image of your LBA2 cd, use either bin/cue format or .nrg (nero standard format), you need these as they still contain the data needed by older games so the audio on the cds will play.
Then you just use the imgmount command in dosbox to mount, install and play without adding any patches or anything.

If you want the more detail version, check the link in my sig and look under "Easy LBA2 on PC!"

Hopefully that should work well for you, im on a newer laptop (HP laptop, using Vista home Premium) and it runs perfectly
nocd cracks!

Project C starts in 2-3 weeks!