Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2020-04-29, 16:52
sean121

Any Music composers in the house

Recently I have developed a new passion for music creation but I have no idea what to do and where to start.

So, I am here looking for some advice on what software should I go for as a newbie. I watched some youtube videos on this subject and they were suggesting software like Audacity, Logic pro X, garageband, FL studio, walk band, etc.

I am not sure which of these softwares would be an ideal choice for a beginner.

​​​​​​​Any suggestions?
Old 2020-04-30, 19:10
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

For a beginner if you ask me I would suggest you to go for Gargeband and then slowly move towards more advanced DAW like Reaper, Ableton, Logic Pro X, etc. It is simple to use and has an easy interface with lots of in-built instruments and mixing features.

I am currently using Reaper on my windows system I wish I could use garageband on my windows system but it is only designed for MacOS right? Or is there a way to run it on Windows?
Old 2020-04-30, 21:30
Magic Ball Master

Having used a lot of DAWs before (windows and Mac) I'd say in general:
Start with something that is very limited and only move to something when there are features missing that literally stop you from creating.

Most DAWs have a huge amount of functions which tend overwhelm at first and really inhibiting a creative flow. Garage Band is awesome in that regard as it limits you to basic functionalities which still allow you to create and when you really push it to the limits, you can upgrade to Logic where there's everything you already know and more on top.

@alex: unfortunately Garageband and Logic only work on Mac-architecture. Otherwise I'd already have a windows-laptop solely for running MainStage (which is logic for live performance). Ableton live just isn't cutting it on that front.
Old 2020-05-01, 01:12
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
I'll strongly suggest learning how to play an instrument as a foundation. And not just beginner level. Yes, you can compose amazing pieces without having an instrument as a basis, BUT there are 99% chances you'll just end up playing around in a DAW with "cool sounds" like pads, synths, orchestral arrangements, etc. every now and then and never really get anywhere. Learning an instrument provides musical insights like nothing else out there. You'll understand WHY certain intervals work and others don't, how keys relate to chords, modal concepts, harmony and much more...
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2020-05-01, 17:21
sean121

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoboe View Post
Garage Band is awesome in that regard as it limits you to basic functionalities which still allow you to create and when you really push it to the limits, you can upgrade to Logic where there's everything you already know and more on top.
Thank you!

I asked this question on a few other forums as well and most of them suggested exactly the same thing. So I am going to move forward like this only. I will start with Garageband and see how it goes from there.
Old 2020-05-01, 17:26
sean121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
I'll strongly suggest learning how to play an instrument as a foundation.
That is really wise advice. Thank you!

Actually, I am learning how to play a keyboard and been learning it for around 6 months. I was thinking to start my journey by doing some basic mixing and editing on pre-recorded stuff and get used to the interface and functions before recording my own music.
Old 2020-05-01, 17:32
sean121

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexawiliams784 View Post
I am currently using Reaper on my windows system I wish I could use garageband on my windows system but it is only designed for MacOS right? Or is there a way to run it on Windows?
Thank you Alex!

As you said yourself it is for macOS and iOS only but you can still use one OS apps on another OS by using emulators like VMWare. Read this guide and see if that works.

I must tell you this, I have never done it myself but this guide says it is possible .
Old 2020-05-01, 18:00
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
I'll strongly suggest learning how to play an instrument as a foundation. And not just beginner level.
So true, pretty much the best possible advice.

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2020-05-01, 18:41
Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean121 View Post
Recently I have developed a new passion for music creation but I have no idea what to do and where to start.

So, I am here looking for some advice on what software should I go for as a newbie. I watched some youtube videos on this subject and they were suggesting software like Audacity, Logic pro X, garageband, FL studio, walk band, etc.

I am not sure which of these softwares would be an ideal choice for a beginner.

​​​​​​​Any suggestions?
What kind of music do you want to write?

I love Ableton live, it is so easy and everything is in 1 screen.

For piano music however, I would recommend Sibelius or another music notation program that actually works with regular notation. I just started using that and it does make a difference!

This is this:

1. write for the love of writing. My music was sucking for the first 6 year but I did it for fun. Do not expect great results, or compare you to others too much. Just create stuff.

2. The program you write in does affect your writing style! I write differently in sibelius than in ableton, ableton makes for different writing than in a tracker program. The tools you use make a difference, once you get comfortable with a program, do not be afraid to try another one. Preferably one with a different workflow.
Old 2020-05-02, 15:13
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
once you get comfortable with a program, do not be afraid to try another one. Preferably one with a different workflow
True. I've experimented dozens of different software before settling down onto the current combo I use. Combining software can give you extra flexibility. Not to mention plugins... lots of plugins. So, yes, don't be afraid to try out different ones.

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2020-05-02, 15:58
Neko

you still use modplugtracker right?

I am glad to be out of tracker zone, somehow the piano roll works better for me
Old 2020-05-02, 19:01
the legend

Yes, tracker style programs work best for me. But recently its mostly for beats or synth loops only. Most of my music is now about recording real life instruments/performances instead of laying down notes on software. I find it that you can get more unusual structures that way.

Old 2020-07-16, 19:07
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

I will start with Garageband and see how it goes from there.
Old 2020-07-18, 20:58
Neko

what kind of music do you want to write?
Old 2020-07-20, 15:39
the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
what kind of music do you want to write?
The guy is clearly a bot / spammer