Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2004-05-10, 15:41
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
Red Cross report describes abuse in Iraq

Ok, here's an article describing a report by the Red Cross organization which visited iraq recently.

GENEVA - The international Red Cross saw U.S. military intelligence officers routinely mistreating prisoners under interrogation during a visit to Iraq 's Abu Ghraib prison last October, according to a report by the agency disclosed Monday.

President Bush (news - web sites) said the mistreatment "was the wrongdoing of a few," but the report by the International Committee of the Red Cross offers details to support the agency's contention that U.S. prisoner abuse was broad and part of a system, "not individual acts."

"ICRC delegates directly witnessed and documented a variety of methods used to secure the cooperation of the persons deprived of their liberty with their interrogators," said the confidential report, confirmed by the ICRC as authentic after it was published by the Wall Street Journal on Monday.

The delegates saw how detainees were kept "completely naked in totally empty concrete cells and in total darkness," the report said. It said it found evidence supporting prisoners' allegations of other forms of abuse during arrest, initial detention and interrogation.

Among the evidence were burns, bruises and other injuries consistent with the abuse prisoners alleged, it said.

The 24-page document said the abuse occurred mainly during interrogation by military intelligence.

It typically stopped once the detainees were moved to regular prison facilities, the report said.

The report said the abuses — some "tantamount to torture" — include brutality, hooding, humiliation and threats of "imminent execution."

"These methods of physical and psychological coercion were used by the military intelligence in a systematic way to gain confessions and extract information and other forms of cooperation from persons who had been arrested in connection with suspected security offenses or deemed to have an 'intelligence value.'"

Pierre Kraehenbuehl, ICRC director of operations, said Friday that the report had been given to U.S. officials last February, but that it only summarized what the agency had been telling U.S. officials in detail between March and November 2003 "either in direct face-to-face conversations or in written interventions."

Kraehenbuehl said the abuse of prisoners represented more than isolated acts, and that the problems were not limited to the Abu Ghraib prison.

"We were dealing here with a broad pattern, not individual acts. There was a pattern and a system," he said, declining to give further details.

The report described how male prisoners were forced to parade around in women's underwear.

ICRC chief spokeswoman Antonella Notari declined Monday to discuss the full report.

"It is our report," Notari told The Associated Press. "That's all I can say."

---

Hehe, naughty americans, look what their stirring over there ^_^
Makes me sick.
Old 2004-05-10, 15:47
Party animal

Oh, and I have a question.
This may be a little ingnorant on my part, but:
What are all these interrogations for?
I mean, what do they need to find out?
The country is theirs,
all of the documents and records and secrets are at their disposal
(except those who were burnt)
What could they possible want to know!?
Old 2004-05-10, 16:14
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
umm..well..quite a lot have been killed recently, both Americans and Iraqi's working with them keep getting blowen up by suicide bombers.
(in fact, it seems more often its the Iraqi's getting killed now...easier target i guese)
So there is plenty they still need to know.
--
Thats quite a selective reading of the report.
The majoirty of the red cross's complaints (from what i read in newpapers here) was sleep depreivation and other things along those lines. (not excusable)

Most of the more extream stuff was not witnessed, nor evidenced directly by the red-cross. (I mean, even if it was going on, why on earth would those doing it say "oh, look, the red cross, lets let them watch!").
It was from statements of Iraqis in the prisons.
And while you might not have a very good view of the americans, most of those will be biased.

Incidently, Blair has directly said he would like the whole report to be published.
Rather then this "leak it and confirm it" type stuff that newspapers seem to like. (so they can get nice quotes...)

Also, the first court martial for the offences will start this week, and they will take place in public, in Iraq. The guy is being trailed a special court martial, that can only give a maxium jail sentance of 1 year. (and 2/3rd reduction in pay)
However, before you say this is light treatment, he is the only one thats getting this special court martial, because he supplied the photos.
The others will get a general court martial that will allow for more server punshiment.
It is hoped that evidence from Sivits trail will help convict the others.
Old 2004-05-10, 16:25
What is this place?

Send a message via ICQ to Atresica Send a message via AIM to Atresica Send a message via MSN to Atresica
It's more a matter that they have control over them than that they can get information out of it.
See it as a sick way of recreation

But I'm glad this report is out and that those flucking 'allies' of the americans will force them to secure UN forces and observers in the region before they agree to keep their troops here

ofcourse lap-dog Balkenende (prime minister of NL) would never daaaaare to even think of that
Old 2004-05-11, 04:34
Magic Ball Master

I dunno. The abuse is a terribly heinous thing, and while I don't condone it, I fail to see why the finger is pointed so blatantly at Rumsfeld specifically.

Also, why in general the US is being hailed as such war criminals for this abuse. Aren't the Iraqi militants the ones capturing/kidnapping contractors and murdering them? I highly suspect American POW's are nowhere near as well kept as the Iraqi POW's. Hell, just look at the whole Jessica Lynch ordeal from 2003.
Old 2004-05-11, 15:29
Party animal

Well, if that's true, than it's awful.

Humiliation doesn't help the US in anyway.
I can understand them wanting to shut down the resistance,
it's natural, but right now they're comitting all the sins that they accused Sadam for doing.
Old 2004-05-11, 15:41
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-J
I dunno. The abuse is a terribly heinous thing, and while I don't condone it, I fail to see why the finger is pointed so blatantly at Rumsfeld specifically.

Also, why in general the US is being hailed as such war criminals for this abuse. Aren't the Iraqi militants the ones capturing/kidnapping contractors and murdering them? I highly suspect American POW's are nowhere near as well kept as the Iraqi POW's. Hell, just look at the whole Jessica Lynch ordeal from 2003.
The thing is that the USA said that they were going to iraq to stop such things. Instead, they use the same prison as Saddam did and do this stuff inside it. This war is one of the biggest disasters I've seen, they have lied, they have done pretty much everything wrong, killed brits, created chaos, gotten revealed, tortured, where is the end? The only thing they succeeded with was finding Saddam and his sons and getting the regime away.