Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2003-11-30, 13:26
Magic Ball Master

Euro 2004 Draw
With analysis by Snapman

The draw for Euro 2004 in Portugal was made earlier today, so let's have a look at those groups:

Group A
Portugal
Greece
Spain
Russia

An interesting group, this one, with Portugal being the obvious favourites to go through. But who else will mount a challenge? Most people think that Spain will finish in the top 2 here, but don't rule out Greece, who won Spain's qualifying group to gain automatic qualification. Russia seem like real outsiders here, and I can't see them being able to compete with the other 3 teams.

Group B
France
England
Switzerland
Croatia

France will be firm favourites to put the misery of World Cup 2002 behind them and win this group with ease. The biggest challenge to them in this group comes from England. It's a tough group for Switzerland and Croatia, but Croatia are one of the most unpredictable teams in the tournament, and could cause a major upset here.

Group C
Sweden
Bulgaria
Denmark
Italy

Again, I think this group will mainly be contested between just 3 teams; Sweden, Denmark and Italy. All of those three teams have a very realistic chance of making it through to round 2. Too close to call.

Group D
Czech Republic
Latvia
Germany
Netherlands

Ouch. A nasty group for newcomers Latvia, who will struggle to compete here. Don't rule them out though, they could be this years dark-horses, after beating Sweden in Stockholm and knocking out Turkey in the playoffs. The Czech are in fine form and won their qualifying group convinvingly, and the Dutch are always a force to be reckoned with. Germany aren't a great team, but always get lots of luck in these competitions, and should never be rule out. A tough group.
Old 2003-11-30, 16:37
Still in a dream...

Generally, I agree with Snapman, but here is my briefer analysis...

Group A:
Portugal are my favourites here, however, many underestimate Greece, as said by Snapman. They will make number 2, I think.

Group B:
Interesting, France and England.

I'd expect a better performance from France in this tournament. Last year's was abismal. 0 Goals scored.... the shame Especially following their performances in World Cup 1998 and Euro 2000. Time will tell. And needless to say, England and France will go through. Who will be number 1? I'd put my money on England. But will English fans be in for a surprise? Very likely....

Group C:
Hmm... very good group, and it will be a close call. Bulgaria is the weaker team in the group, and with the opponents they will face, they have no realistic chance of getting through...
If I had to choose, I'd put my money on Denmark and Sweden. Although, like Snapman said, it is too close to call

Group D:
Yes, again agreeing with Snapman, an unideal group for Latvia. My money is on Germany and the Czech Republic. Although, who knows what will happen?

Lets hope that we see another repeat of 5-1 to England against Germany That would destroy their ego

Kinda like 1966
Old 2003-11-30, 17:13
Lauren...

Group A
Portugal
Greece
Spain
Russia

Portugal will get to the next round. Spain doesn't play well usually on big tournaments. But I don't think they'd miss the 2nd round (Quarter finals) here, because I think they are going to beat Greece and Russia for the 2nd place, because they don't want to lose from Portugal (by not getting into the QF). So: the two rival Portugal and Spain will get through.

Group B
France
England
Switzerland
Croatia

France and England, I don't think this will be much of a challenge from the other teams. Perhaps Croatia could do something, but I'd say France and England to the next round.

Group C
Sweden
Bulgaria
Denmark
Italy

Italy is the major favourite here, and I think Sweden and Denmark will compete for the 2nd place. I think Sweden is better, so here I say
Italy and Sweden.

Group D
Czech Republic
Latvia
Germany
Netherlands

Obviously the hardest group of all. But the Czech were a bit lucky against the Dutch in their qualifying matches (e.g. red card in the opening minutes, all or nothing play from the NL when it was 2-1, so the 3-1 wasn't really accurate) so I doubt they will get through.

Germany - Netherlands. This will be a great opening match for this group. The Dutch and Germans do not like each other much, so our team will be motivated enough to play that game (we don't usually play well in the 1st game(s) of a championship). Also, revenge on the Czechs will be a good thriving power for the 2nd game of the NL.

Probably the easiest match (Latvia) comes last.

I think the Germans will beat the Czechs in their confrontation, so the Germans will go to next round (with the Dutch).

Intensity
Integrity
Intelligence

The 100.000th post on the MBN is made by me!
Old 2003-11-30, 18:41
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Nice draw! Lots of derbies!

Portugal-Spain, France-England, Sweden-Denmark and Germany-Holland!

Group A:
Very tough group, I think that people rule out Russia too easily. Portugal is host nation, but the team spirit isn't always perfect and we've seen in both Euro 2000 and World Cup 2002 that Portugal gets problems when they are down. Spain is a splendid technical team that probably will win this group. Russia is underrated, very technical too, have a good mix of young and old if Im not right and they will take the second spot. No one will believe in Greece, but I guess that they actually will be able to make some upset, especially vs Portugal and Russia. It is nearly impossible to tip this group, but I go for this:
1. Spain
2. Russia
3. Portugal (host nation )
4. Greece

Group B:
A group that might look easy for France and England, but I am glad that we didn't end up here instead of the French. The games against England are always hard and nice games, and we haven't lost against them since 1968, but nothing lasts forever. Also there are a team here, Switzerland that we would be FORCED to beat, and we don't play well with that pressure. I think that this was perhaps the worst draw for England. Now they face France, that seems amazingly good at the moment, and even though England play well against good teams, I think that France might be too much, just like Brazil in the world cup. The pressure from home for the English to beat Switzerland will also be hard to take, and Im really glad we didnt end in this group. England will have to go out against Switzerland with no other option than victory, and I dont think it fits them very well. Croatia is technical and underrated, but I think that England's discipline might be able to beat Croatia. The only thing Im certain of here is that France wins the group.
1. France
2. England
3. Croatia
4. Switzerland

Group C:
We got a very good draw, actually, but it can turn into a nightmare if Denmark grabs a point vs Italy in the first match. Then Italy will be close to forced to beat us in round 2. I see that you guys thinks that Bulgaria isnt a good team at all, I think you are wrong. They had a wonderful team in the begining of the 90s with semifinal in World Cup 1994 and after that they have tried to replace guys like Stoichkov and Kostadinov and Letchkov. Not until now have they succeeded. They were extremely superior in their qualification group and they have high technical skills. So they are absoluteley not a team that will be easy to beat, and Im happy for that, we dont play very good when everyone expects us to win. We have faced Bulgaria nine times and won the seven last matches against them. Our discipline gives us a victory 1-0 against them, I think. Could be 0-0 too though. Italy will be hard, if they beat Denmark I think the game will end 0-0. We'll beat Denmark, they dont like being the part that "plays" the game, as we saw in the World Cup when they were crushed by England. 0-0-warning here too, though. A major concern for us is the attack, world striker Henrik Larsson has quit the national team and he is really stubborn, everyone tries to convince him to come back but he just says "thanks, but no thanks etc". It is now likely that we match up with Zlatan and Marcus Allbäck as forwards, and those two hasnt worked well together at all in the past. So the attack is definitely a problem. But I think we will go through, but its a VERY close call.
1. Italy
2. Sweden
3. Bulgaria
4. Denmark

Group D:
This is a super group! Very interesting games and very tight. Latvia is of course the underdog here, but watch out, they play with 0 pressure. Netherlands really got rid of their past problems and crushed Scotland with 6-0. If they play like that they will certainly go through. I dont know much about Pavel Nedved, but they say that he is the best player in the world along with Zidane, and the Czechs surely have a big chance to go through. The Germans are boring but they most often manage to go through. Close to impossible to tip, just like the others. Here is my attempt:
1. Holland
2. Czech Republic
3. Germany
4. Latvia

That would give us quarterfinals:
Holland-Sweden
Czech Republic-Italy
France-Russia
Spain-England

heho
Old 2003-11-30, 22:22
Idot

Send a message via ICQ to Aule
can u guys tell me why israel playss in the euro cups
Old 2003-11-30, 22:41
weee

Quote:
Originally posted by Aule
I think that officially, in many way we are part of europe.
Old 2003-11-30, 22:54
Idot

hmm... i still thinks its strange, and, i think that israel should be bojcoted, but thats just my opinion
Old 2003-11-30, 23:50
Hello

Quote:
Originally posted by Aule
The continental federations doesnt work exactly geographically. For example Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia and Kazachstan are also members of the UEFA even though they, geographically, are located in asia. Also having Israel in AFC (the asian federation) would cause some problems probably.
Old 2003-11-30, 23:52
Idot

okq8!
Old 2003-12-01, 09:32
Gregorius

I say:

Portugal
Russia
Spain
Greece

France
England
Croatia
Switzerland

Sweden
Italy
Denmark
Bulgaria

Czech Republic
Latvia
The Netherlands
Germany

Gregorius' Corner (http://www.gregoriuscorner.com)
Old 2003-12-02, 20:27
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to johnnybrubacker
gustav, portugal didnt have a poor euro 2000, they got to the semi finals, they had great belief and team spirit then, coming down from 2-0 down to beat england 3-2. they established. themselves as world powers in that tournament, however the main reason the current team can do badly is that they have an ageing squad.

israel used to play in asia before but joined uefa a few years back. it was even placed in ofc (oceianic confederation) for some time! khazakakstan recently used to play in asia but last year applied to join uefa.
Old 2003-12-02, 21:02
Hello

I didnt say they had a poor Euro 2000, I said that we saw their problems in Euro 2000, if you remember what happened after they lost to France. What I meant was that if they happen to get into problems in this tournament, which is likely, they might lose their temper etc. But you are right about the fact that they showed good team spirit against England. With Luiz Felipe Scolari I dont think that they will have any problems with the age, Portugal has good young players too, and needs a coach, like Big Phil, that can choose the best players and not those with best merits.
Old 2004-05-20, 17:53
Hello

The temperature is rising! 22 days left!

Who will win?
My tip is that Portugal, Germany or Holland wins it, France are favourites, so I cant tip them as.
England and the Czechs are overrated.
Old 2004-05-20, 18:01
Lauren...

If the Netherlands get through their group, I think they will reach the semi-finals at least.
I also think the Czechs are overrated and of course, the hosts always go far in the tournament. Spain will probably get far, too. But they usually don't do very well at great tournaments...
So, Portugal and the Netherlands have the best chances of winning imho.

Intensity
Integrity
Intelligence

Old 2004-05-20, 18:09
Hello

Agreed!
Old 2004-05-20, 19:16
Magic Ball Master

I can't see anyone stopping France. They are by far the best team in the tournament. They frighten me.

Apart from Latvia, of course.
Old 2004-05-20, 21:38
Gregorius

I'm expecting a tournament of great surprises! I will always support the weaker team and I expect them to win in majority.

Old 2004-05-20, 21:50
Still in a dream...

I'd say either Holland, Portugal or England will win. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if a "lesser" team such as the Czech Republic wins.
Old 2004-05-20, 22:14
Hello

England is "lesser" than the Czech Republic, my friend.

Gergely: Cool! Bulgaria, Switzerland, Latvia and Russia in the quarterfinal!
Old 2004-05-20, 22:16
Lauren...

Yes, also teams with a good chance of winning: England (well, they usually play pretty good and their pool isn't that hard) and Germany.

Intensity
Integrity
Intelligence

Old 2004-05-20, 23:23
Hello

Latvia in quarterfinal? Not impossible.
Latvia is very underrated, in the qualification they played 0-0 vs us and then became the first team since austria 1997 to beat us in a qualification match, 1-0. Then they beat the World Cup bronze medalists Turkey in the final qualification. Now they are in the hardest group of the tournament, but Germany is a team that is very hard to predict, they are not trustable anymore and they might just play disgustigly badly and lose all three games. Holland missed the World Cup, and if the stars doesn't get along they might go out immediatly too, not very likely though. More likely is it that the Czechs, who havent won in a long time, just dont do very good versus this kind of opponence and then we have Latvia and the Netherlands in the quarterfinal. Latvia will rely strongly on counterattacks, and this took them to the Euro 2004. Why not to a quarterfinal too?
I say that England doesnt have a greater chance of winning than Sweden or Denmark, but there still is a small chance (I think this is the most open tournament Ive seen, its hard to count out any team). Their group looks fairly easy, yes, Switzerland will most probably be the worst team of the tournament, but France might be too good for them, and then they will have a decider versus Croatia. Croatia is not a team to underrate, be warned.

Sweden: I predict that we will go out in the group stage, based on the fact that we are turning into quite big favourite for the second position after Italy. And Swedish teams can never handle any pressure, we play better when no one expects us to do anything, like in the World Cup. Now that Henrik Larsson has changed his mind, many expect us to be the dark horse of the tournament, but Im not so sure. On the other hand, it looks quite good if the key players remain fit. Weve had problems with injuries in the defence, but our subs are very good at this position. The midfield looks great, if the coaches plays the right players, and the attack with Zlatan/Larsson is SUPER CLASSY! With injuries however, on Zlatan or Larsson, we are doomed.
Old 2004-05-20, 23:54
Still in a dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Sweden
England is "lesser" than the Czech Republic, my friend.
You are ruining our L'esprit du Corps.
Old 2004-05-21, 00:02
Magic Ball Master

England aren't gonna win Euro 2004.

Our goalkeeper is awful. David James. How the hell is out first choice goalie is a mystery. Paul Robinson is much much much better. David James is absolutly rubbish, and makes a lot of mistakes. And out defence looks quite weak. Anyone with a half decent strikeforce shouldn't have too many problems scoring against us.

Our midfield looks quite strong.

Our strikers are out of form, and I hate Wayne Rooney. He is a twat. Regardless of all the hype, he is NOT good enough to represent us at international level. He should be in the U21s. I bet he'll get sent off in a crucial match too. Coz he's a twat.
Old 2004-06-06, 20:16
Gregorius

Germany - Hungary LOL It's half time 0-2

Old 2004-06-07, 02:08
Hello

Germany seems to be totally out of balance But use the new thread called The Official Euro 2004 thread, by Snap.