Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > Fan Creations > Fan Games
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Fan Games A forum for discussion of any demos and fan games being made. Not for discussion of Modifications.

Old 2007-12-24, 20:57
thegnarlypanda

Send a message via AIM to hobmoblin
Frozen Star

For the past couple of months I've been working on a little game. It's a really simple and it's nothing compared to .TakaM's 2D platformer though. It's made in Multimedia Fushion 2 because I just don't have to time or knowledge to make my own game engine.

The idea came to me when I was thinking about LBA and 2D platformers (but not about merging the 2 together). I had recently also played Cave Story briefly which you can probably tell from the screen shots.

Anyway, I can't think of much else to say about it so I'll just post a link to my site.

http://thegnarlypanda.co.uk/home/ind...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
(thats the demo download)

This is just a little demo to show what it can do, which evidently is not a lot.

[Screenshots]

http://www.thegnarlypanda.co.uk/images/playerhouse1.png [a little too big for here I think, it's out of date anyway]

Tell me what you think.
Old 2007-12-24, 21:24
weee

Cool! The graphics style are same as Cave Story, which I loved.
Old 2007-12-24, 21:33
thegnarlypanda

Thats mainly due to the fact that I am not very good at drawing. I decided to keep them simple.
Old 2007-12-24, 21:34
weee

Doesn't matter, it still looks awesome.
Old 2007-12-24, 22:42
thegnarlypanda

Why thank you. Did you try out the demo?
Old 2007-12-25, 00:12
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
well, I can't jump, are you supposed to be able to do that?, I'm running from a virtual machine...

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-12-25, 00:58
Father of Shoda

nice but the jump is kinda laggy, u can jump onto a wall and get stuck and then get higher and higher by clinching to the wall I fell out of the screen down in the white things

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2007-12-25, 20:19
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
WOW !!! cool a new game if u want me to make a full game in gamemaker, using your sprites ( only if u want ), I am available anytime also, Twinsen and the door have something 'wrong' in them: the black outline !!! get rid of it look for a darker shade of the nearby color: example a pinkish brown for Twinsen's head and a dark brown for the door ( outlines for both ) as for the game, the jump system has much to improve cause at the moment u can get stuck in the walls when u touch them in midair check the collision system and either make it a sliding or a simple ( stopping ) collision mode as for the rest ... I LOVE IT
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles

Last edited by Quetch; 2007-12-25 at 20:25.
Old 2007-12-25, 20:32
weee

I tried the demo now. Didn't really go all through it - so all I have to say is: 1. it looks promising, 2. the controls are still awkward.
Old 2007-12-25, 20:38
Twinsunian Quetch

yeah well the most common thing when u start making games is that u make the ground-based collision system but you neglect what happens when u hit objects while in the air later on, when he will try and take care of this aspect, he will try to also make a collision system for the air thing .... WRONG !!! hobmoblin: making 2 separate collision systems is the worst thing u could ever do so DON'T try and make a universal collision system : make it so that you take into consideration EVERY possible collision, exclude the ones that repeat themselves ( which are basically the same ), stick only to the basis, make it as simple as possible ( also effective ), and once you have it done, let it take care of EVERYTHING for the rest of the game ... wanting to program every situation separately is, as I said, the worst thing you could do, trust me cheers
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2007-12-25, 21:25
Magic Ball Master

the air collision is cool
you can climb on anything
it's like the jump and save bug
but it's bad when you get out of the scene like me
Old 2007-12-25, 23:05
Le Kuck qui rit

Really nice I am still searching for the controls though. How do I give the items to that little other guy?

Old 2007-12-25, 23:58
Magic Ball Master

-> Enter
Old 2007-12-26, 00:30
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
How do I darn jump?!??!?!

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2007-12-26, 00:36
Magic Ball Master

try to press Z (or y belongs on your keyboard)
Old 2007-12-26, 12:01
thegnarlypanda

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I know about the getting-stuck-in-things-when-jumping problem. You can get out the scene because I used to have a wall around it but took it away hoping no one would be able to get out, obviously I was wrong.

I think the reason you get stuck in things when you jump is because of Multimedia Fushion 2's default platform movement thing. In the end I'm going to code my own, unless I can sort it out somehow.

Chaosfish --> Fixing the controls is now my number 1 priority.

LBAWinOwns --> Z is jump, I haven't tested it on a virtual machine but I guess it should work the same.

Zerath^ --> What do you mean by the jump is laggy? Do you mean when you press Z it takes a moment to actually jump rather than being instant? Or are you referring to the wall clinging?

Quetch --> The character and the door have black outlines because, well I don't actually know why. The door was one of the first things I drew for this so that might be why, and I guess it's around the characters head because I wanted him to stand out a bit more against the background.

leoboe --> I'm going to have to try jump out the scene now, was it on the far right of the map? or at the top above the house?

Kurck --> It should be enter once you've got them all.

Thanks again for trying it out, it is greatly appreciated. Did anyone try out the computer in the players house, or the PDA (Press Q on the main map)? It doesn't do much at the moment except a checklist for the first quest.

I'll release another little demo once I've fixed the movement and added more to do.
Old 2007-12-26, 13:34
Father of Shoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobmoblin View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Zerath^ --> What do you mean by the jump is laggy? Do you mean when you press Z it takes a moment to actually jump rather than being instant? Or are you referring to the wall clinging?
Im referring to the wall clinging

Listen to my band's EP on one of the following links!

Check it out:
https://soundcloud.com/inglorious-da...orious-days-ep
http://ingloriousdays.bandcamp.com/
http://open.spotify.com/album/3C1idn10yT06VK0qPiusku
Old 2007-12-26, 14:27
thegnarlypanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerath^ View Post
Im referring to the wall clinging

Ah right. I never really notice it any more, I guess thats because I deliberatly try to avoid it happening to me. There are some parts in the level where you can jump and your head can get stuck to the platform above you and you can slide along.
Old 2007-12-26, 14:53
Magic Ball Master

It's on the right side

but I also tried it above the house... it seems not to work the jump-bug isn't able to be done there

EDIT: ok retried it
it is possible to do it above the house, too.

Last edited by leoboe; 2007-12-26 at 15:26.
Old 2007-12-27, 13:04
thegnarlypanda

Since yesterday I've been working on fixing the movement. At first I thought I'd have to start coding my own custom movement engine but I found a way around the wall clinging/climbing/sticking to obstacles.

Apparently this problem has been around since the first iteration of klik n play and they still haven't managed to fix it. The simple way around it I have worked out is to have a collision box around the player that checks to see if there is an obstacle before the player hits it. For some reason this works.

I honestly thought it would be harder to work out than that.
Old 2007-12-27, 13:33
Twinsunian Quetch

hobmoblin: I don't quite understand what u did but this is what you should do ( if u didn't already ): make a collision box around Twinsen ( rectangle ) and check for this type of events:

If leftarrow_press then
if twinsen.x+5 ( 5 pixels or how many u want, ahead twinsen ) is free ( no object is there ) then move

Basically what it does is check to see if it is possible to move and only then take the necessary action
Old 2007-12-27, 15:02
thegnarlypanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
hobmoblin: I don't quite understand what u did but this is what you should do ( if u didn't already ): make a collision box around Twinsen ( rectangle ) and check for this type of events:

If leftarrow_press then
if twinsen.x+5 ( 5 pixels or how many u want, ahead twinsen ) is free ( no object is there ) then move

Basically what it does is check to see if it is possible to move and only then take the necessary action
That is basically what I have done, except that instead of one rectangle around the character I have four lines bordering him, one for the top of him, one for his feet, one for right and one for left. I did try it with one box but it didn't work too well.

Do you use MMF2?
Old 2007-12-27, 20:03
Twinsunian Quetch

no, I don't use MMF2, I use other gaming languages but what I've told you applies to EVERY possible programming language as they have used it since the early 80's up until now feel free to ask if u encounter other problems
Old 2008-01-24, 11:12
thegnarlypanda

New Demo.

So over the last month I've been slowly working on the game. There are no new areas to goto since the last demo but I have pretty much fixed all the bugs that were in it.

Movement Controls:

Left and Right arrow are to move.
Up arrow is the use key.
Q brings up the PDA if you are on the town map.
Z is jump and select.

Computer Controls:

Left Click is select.
Double Left Click on a window to move it around, Single Left click to select position.
Right Click a window or it's taskbar icon to close.
Z is Shutdown.

The new features are:

New computer system.
New Health system.
Save System.
And I guess it's a feature, you can't get stuck in walls anymore.

Please let me know what you think.

Download

kisses.
Old 2008-01-24, 13:20
Twinsunian Quetch

u still have a bug: try jumping when there's a block over ur head