Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2008-12-29, 18:43
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Gustav's Top 10 Madness I: Video Games

Welcome to this new thread series, where massive amounts of top 10 lists will be posted. Old subjects that we've discussed tens of times, will be discussed again, as well as subjects that were hardly mentioned over the hundreds of thousands of posts that make up the Magic Ball Network Forums.

The first one is quite natural, because this is, after all, a video game forum. List your 10 favourite games. Special rule: Don't post several games from the same series (like 1. SMB3 2. SMB1 3. SM64 4. SMW etc).

Do it like this one, my own list:
01. Super Mario World (other fucking colossal games in the series include Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Bros) SNES 1991
02. Little Big Adventure PC 1994 (also: LBA2)
03. Age of Mythology PC 2002
04. Age of Empires 2:The Conquerors Expansion PC 2000
05. Outcast PC 1999
06. Pro Evolution Soccer 6 PC 2006 (also: as PES5 och PES4)
07. NHL 98 PC 1997 (also: NHL 95 and NHL 99)
08. Wave Race 64 N64 1996
09. Mr. Gimmick NES 1992
10. Football Manager 2005 PC 2004

Comments: I found it hard to rank the "story-driven" games (such as LBA Outcast and, to some extent, LBA) compared to the "competition-driven" games (such as Age of Empires, NHL, PES and Need For Speed). Those two different groups of games are not really comparable. Its like comparing your favourite movie to your favourite football team, or something like that.

Other than that, the Mario series is a certain #1. Extremely well-crafted, innovative and created with love. The Mario games are the game world's counterpart to The Beatles.

LBA is also special to me, perhaps mostly because of the amount of time spent at this forum.

Outcast is another fantastic adventure game.

Ensemble Studios' Age of Empires series and Age of Mythology are the best RTS games ever, I especially like the role of the economy that I think isn't present in other big RTS series, such as Warcraft, where the sole focus is on battles.

The NHL series reached its peak in the 90s, but I've heard that the new one is the first one in a decade to aspire on the same heights as NHL 98. Haven't played it, though.

The Football Manager series is in a class of its own. There is nothing like it, and it is magic.

I left the fantastic Need For Speed 2 out, and put Wave Race 64 on the list, probably my favourite racing game ever.

Please post your own lists!
Old 2008-12-29, 18:54
Master of Science & Magic

Not good with making a distinct order, so, this is the top 10 without a significance in position
  1. Super Mario World (SNES 1990)
  2. Super Mario Kart (SNES 1992)
  3. Little Big Adventure (PC 1994)
  4. Unreal (PC 1998)
  5. Anachronox (PC 2001)
  6. Tron 2.0 (PC 2003)
  7. Beyond Good & Evil (PC 2003)
  8. Prince of Persia: Sands of time (PC 2003)
  9. Psychonauts (PC 2005)
  10. Mass Effect (PC 2008)

Disclaimer: this list doesn't do justice to all other great games I have, I just had to pick 10.
Old 2008-12-29, 21:57
Magic Ball Master

I'm also having trouble ordering the games definitely.
  1. Little Big Adventure (PC 1994)
  2. StarCraft (PC 1998)
  3. Morrowind with Construction Set (PC 2002)
  4. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii 2007) (also the SMB games etc.)
  5. Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess (GameCube 2006)
  6. Rayman 2 (PC 1999)
  7. Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PC 1997)
  8. Pychonauts (PC 2005)
  9. Age of Mythology (PC 2002)
  10. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube 2002)
For Morrowind I have to say that without the Construction Set it wouldn't have lasted for me so long. I never really bothered going into the main quest of the game at all, but I had a lot of fun putting my own things into the game.

I remember Age of Mythology being quite fabulous, though I never owned it, I only had it borrowed.
Old 2008-12-29, 22:13
Idyllic + whimsical

01. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2 2002)
02. Little Big Adventure (PS1 1997)
03. Fallout 2 (PC 1998)
04. Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast (PC 2002)
05. Half-Life 2 (PC 2004)
06. Final Fantasy VII (PS1 1997)
07. The Longest Journey (PC 1999)
08. Deus Ex (PC 2000)
09. Simon the Sorcerer II: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe (PC 1995)
10. Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PC 1996)

Well it's known I really like the MGS series, I particularly like Substance because as loaded as Sons of Liberty was with cut-scenes, I still enjoyed every second of it. I think the gameplay is beautifully balanced with features, yet it doesn't get too bothersome with realism (unlike MGS3 with the camouflage and healing), and the story is really great (people disliked the final part of the game but I think it was the best). When Substance was released I was happy to see that to a really good game I was given additional missions to enjoy the lovely gameplay with, and even after you complete the missions it's still fun to play them again a while later.

I won't bother explaining LBA, but I'll say I prefer the first game in its PS1 version for having a proper saving system and no idiotic hurt-by-walls thing.

Fallout 2 is more or less an enhanced version of the first Fallout, and both offer endless possibilities in a beautifully apocalyptic world. I lost count of how many times I played it, and I still find new little things every time.

Jedi Outcast has a bit of a weak beginning, but once you get your force powers and lightsaber it becomes really fun, but that's just a relatively minor aspect of the game. The multiplayer is without a doubt the best I've ever played, very well balanced with excellent maps and mods.

I didn't really like the first Half-Life but HL2 won me over, the open areas are a huge improvement over the bland Black Mesa, the scripted events come just in time and it's overall a truly epic experience.

FFVII. Overrated or not, it's still good.

The Longest Journey seems to be the last point & click game I'll ever really love, the beautiful scenery, brilliant puzzle and fascinating story make it a one of its kind.

I admit I didn't like Deus Ex on my first try. And my second. And third. But when I finally got myself past the first 15 minutes, I discovered a flawed yet still amazingly fun game. Very few games at that length manage to get me to the very end without the "glad it's over already" feeling, the story was just too good to get tired of, and the whole leveling up system was really fun.

I like both Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2, but it seems the series has slightly matured on that title, also the fact it took place in 4 completely different segments instead of one that looked more or less the same in the first game.
Lots of laughs, amusing puzzles, excellent graphics for the time, what else can I ask for?

I'm not much of a fan of RTS games, but Red Alert feels different. I like also the 2nd and should play the 3rd sometime, but the original has a certain nostalgic value, the game that introduced me the skirmish mode and the Hell March.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2008-12-29, 22:34

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_Hollywood View Post

Fallout 2 is more or less an enhanced version of the first Fallout, and both offer endless possibilities in a beautifully apocalyptic world. I lost count of how many times I played it, and I still find new little things every time.

Jedi Outcast has a bit of a weak beginning, but once you get your force powers and lightsaber it becomes really fun, but that's just a relatively minor aspect of the game. The multiplayer is without a doubt the best I've ever played, very well balanced with excellent maps and mods.

The Longest Journey seems to be the last point & click game I'll ever really love, the beautiful scenery, brilliant puzzle and fascinating story make it a one of its kind.

I admit I didn't like Deus Ex on my first try. And my second. And third. But when I finally got myself past the first 15 minutes, I discovered a flawed yet still amazingly fun game. Very few games at that length manage to get me to the very end without the "glad it's over already" feeling, the story was just too good to get tired of, and the whole leveling up system was really fun.
Longest Journey is on my top 5 list. Brilliant from start to finish. I just fell in love with the scenary and the characters from the very start, so I never experienced the "dragginess" of the first few chapters that everyone seems to complain about.

Dreamfall, on the other hand, while having many fine points, just didn't have what it takes to reach TLJ's quality. The creators had good intentions but unfortunately it fell into a pit that many sequals fall into: a lack of realization as to what made the original game so great.

I became addicted to Deus Ex by the time the tutorial level began. Something about the straightforward, smart dialogue really drew me. And then of course there was this fantastic aspect of "finishing every level the way you want it."

Fallout 2 also has fantastic dialogue and a compelling dark world, but the game is too bloody hard. I have yet to finish the last few hours of gameplay.
Old 2008-12-29, 23:14
Idyllic + whimsical

My problem with Dreamfall is that it's a game but doesn't really try to be one. The puzzles are too easy and solved with items in your vicinity, I don't recall having more than 3-4 items in my inventory; and the fighting scenes are terrible, once you get the trick you can finish every battle without getting hurt at all.
At least there's a somewhat interesting story, but by the time it starts moving the game is suddenly over with the most annoying cliffhanger.
Old 2008-12-30, 17:40
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
hard..very hard to give them an order!

ok let's say
1. Start Wars: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast (PC. 2002)
2. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (PC. 2004)
3. Little Big Adventure 2 (1997)
6. Football Manager (from 2005 to 2009)
5. Pro Evolution Soccer (from PES6 to 2009, PS2 and PC)
6. Beyond Good & Evil (PC. 2003)
7. Mass Effect (PC 2008)
8. Kingdom Hearts (PS2. 2003)
9. Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2. 2005)
10.Fifa 98
(edited the mess about kingdom hearts 1 and 2)

I'm a great Star Wars fan, and when i played JK2 i totally felt in love with it. The story is good and the gameplay is fantastic. If only non-jedi characters had a better AI it would have been one of the best shooters ever, IMHO.

KOTOR... I'm not the big fan of RPGs here but I liked this game first for being a Star Wars game, and when you go further with the storyline you can't think anything else but that it's one of the best storylines ever.
Spoiler:
The moment in which you find out that your character is actually Revan, is in my opinion the best part ever seen in video games

LBA2, well
Football Manager and Pes... not much to say.

Beyond Good & Evil, touching story, nice gameplay, great design of characters and places, and a lot of elements that seem to come directly from LBA1 and 2. A great game.

Mass Effect: Bioware used a lot of concepts used for Knights of the Old republic, no doubt: making important decision(good or evil), being able to speak to your companions, unlocking quests by discovering their secrets, all characters levelling up together without need to train them one by one, choose to have a love affair with another companion, decide to kill or save one of your companions, having the ability to persuade or threaten other characters... all of this has been used in KOTOR already, and it makes the game great. And it's amazing of how many voices and voice actors they used to make this game, that's exactly what KOTOR lacked of, and they did a great job.

Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.. well I liked the story, in parts, but I liked the idea to have all disney characters in two games.. nothing much

Fifa98.. Probably it was the game on which i spent more hours on. If you play it now it seems shit compared to todays games, but back then it was gold

Last edited by Streg; 2008-12-31 at 00:21.
Old 2008-12-30, 18:07
Master of Science & Magic

erm.. 8 and 9 are the same?
Old 2008-12-30, 18:37
/ʤæmfɪʃ/

No, one's from 2003 the other from 2005
And gave it a name, so then it wasn't mine
Old 2008-12-30, 18:42
weee

Someone made a game named "Kingdom Hearts" in 2003, and then someone else made a game in 2005, which also happened to be named "Kingdom Hearts"?
Old 2008-12-30, 19:00
Idyllic + whimsical

ffs it's KH2.
Old 2008-12-30, 19:41
Still in a dream...

1. LBA / 2 - got me into gaming
2. Final Fantasy VII - gaming perfection
3. Sonic 3 and Knuckles - one of my earliest favourites
4. Metal Gear Solid
5. REZ
6. Devil May Cry
7. Kingdom Hearts 2
8. Pro Evo
9. Super Mario World
10. Half Life / 2

edited.

Last edited by Panda; 2008-12-30 at 21:21.
Old 2008-12-30, 19:57
Magic Ball Master

StreGGy and Pandy should read more closely:
Quote:
Don't post several games from the same series (like 1. SMB3 2. SMB1 3. SM64 4. SMW etc).
Old 2008-12-31, 01:39
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
you're right, but I won't change that cos i don't have any more games to add there. perhaps some point n' click games like Day Of The Tentacle, Monkey Island or Broken Mirror... but I have too many doubts on which of them I prefer

@Chaosfish
yeah they are actually Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2... edited.
I would like to know your personal list by the way
@Gustav
why of all the pes and FM series you took only pes6 and FM2005?
Old 2008-12-31, 02:25
You what?!

1. Little Big Adventure
2. Monkey Island 2
3. Zelda: Majora's Mask
4. Grand Theft Auto 3
5. Age of Empires
6. Donkey Kong 64
7. Goldeneye
8. Mario 64
9. Timesplitters 2
10. Banjo Kazooie

Commentary:
This is sort of a provisional list of ten games that came to my head first.
It's not exactly in order either, but vaguely.
I'd also like to mention Day of the Tentacle, since that's a very cool game.

1. Everyone loves LBA, if you don't then you're probably not a member of this forum. I still can't decide which of the two games I like better, they're both quite memorable parts of my childhood since I played them far too much (and still do).

2. I liked all the games in the Monkey Island series (the fourth the least), but the storyline for the second one grabbed me first. It's also the hardest game in the series I think, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable. I think I liked the serious undertones that were conveyed more in the second game than any of the others, especially Curse of Monkey Island made LeChuck seem quite a silly character which was quite different from the very dark ending of MI2.

3. As before, I've liked all the Zelda games I've played (didn't play TP yet), and this one grabbed me the most. I suppose you might be surprised I didn't pick Ocarina of Time, which is a very excellent game, and gameplay-wise MM didn't offer anything new really, but again I think I preferred some of the darker parts of this game.

4. Another large part of my wasted youth was spent vandalising Liberty City and murdering random pedestrians for a laugh. I can't really judge many of the other GTA games since I only played San Andreas other than GTA, and I didn't really get into SA as much.

5. I've always preferred the first game in this series, mostly because of it's simpler approach to everything. The second game had a few nicer features, but there were some small things that I liked better about the original.

6. Spent a very long time on this game as well, one of the best christmas presents I can remember. The multi-player was also great (who doesn't like randomly fighting monkeys?), and I loved everything about the single player. Another game that I got through plenty of times.

7. I don't think I've met anyone that doesn't like this game. Sure, newer FPS games are easier on the eyes, but none were as revolutionary. The single player alone stole hours of my life, and the multiplayer was no different.

8. Classic Mario. I was always fascinated with exploring the castle and all the hidden parts of this game, since there was always something new that you hadn't yet discovered.

9. Probably what I liked most about this game was the option of co-op story mode, which is something I wish every game had (it's just more fun playing with a friend), putting it at a very close second favourite FPS game to Goldeneye. The multiplayer was also awesome.

10. Made by the same people as Donkey Kong, the gameplay was very similar and I'm pretty sure it was made on the same engine. Anyway, a little bit older than Donkey Kong so I played this one first. Good original characters, and lots of stuff to explore and hidden stuff to find.

Pretty lengthy stuff, but it's not that hard to talk out of your arse.
Thanks for reading.
Old 2009-01-01, 16:59
Hello

Send a message via MSN to Gustav Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
you're right, but I won't change that cos i don't have any more games to add there. perhaps some point n' click games like Day Of The Tentacle, Monkey Island or Broken Mirror... but I have too many doubts on which of them I prefer

@Chaosfish
yeah they are actually Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2... edited.
I would like to know your personal list by the way
@Gustav
why of all the pes and FM series you took only pes6 and FM2005?
I haven't played PES2009, but I was hugely disappointed by PES2008, which was released with lots of bugs, unconsistent gameplay and irritating mistakes. Also, the online play wasn't "finished" either. PES6 is for me definitely the best football game I ever played.

FM2005: The first one to include the 2D match thing. And I haven't played the latest versions very much.

And I could only pick one in each series, since that was the rule I set up
Old 2009-01-03, 23:23
New efforts! :)

It' really hard to give them an order, whatever...

1. Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
2. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
3. Relentless
4. StarCraft: BroodWar
5. Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal
6. Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors
7. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
8. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
9. Chrono Trigger
10. LEGO Star Wars

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2009-01-04, 00:48

Warrior Within....
Old 2009-01-11, 14:17
Look beyond reality.

1. Fallout 3
2. Little Big Adventure 2
3. Prey
4. The Longest Journey
5. Beyond Good and Evil
6. Bioshock
7. Day of the Tentacle
8. Monkey Island 3
9. Quake 3
10. Command & Conquer (any)
Old 2009-01-11, 18:54
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, my global list of favorates anyone can see from my sig;
http://www.rateoholic.co.uk/Rateohol...=hyb_down&ST=0
You can see my top ten list of everything by just doing an advanced search for darkflame without the videogame filter.
(feel free to make your own lists! review stuff correlate tastes to other reviewers! goto rateaho...blah blah blah)

But, filtered so that only one entry of each series;

1. Mario series (Galaxy, World, 64, 3,2,1)
2. LBA
3. Mario RPGs (specificaly SuperStarSaga and PaperMario2)
4. Zelda series
5. Portal
6. Prince of Persia Sands of Time series.
7. Metroid Corruption
8. Beyond Good and Evil
9. Eternal Darkness
10. Okami

Comments;

1. As others have said; Mario is just simple gameplay refined to a superb degree by Nintendo. Its in many ways the definitive video game. Each entry in the series offering just enough changes to make it fresh, while still be instantly playable. Most recently having non-liner gravity planes, which, imho, works fantasticaly well.

2. LBA, for obvious reasons.

3. Hugely underated titles. To me close to perfect RPGs. SuperStarSaga has everything. Great puzzles, some good platforming (with a neat twist), and unlike most mario games, it has fun story with lots of charecters.
PaperMario2 simerla takes RPG platforming and puzzles and blends them together nearly perfectly.

4. Zelda, well, duh. Like LBA I love massive environments with lots to do. Its not about having massive epic storys, but about having a rich environment with lots to discover. The Zelda series defines action adventure gaming, and for good reason.

5. Portal. This game was a triumph. I made a note here, its a huge success. Its hard to overstate my satisfaction.

6. Sands Of Time series Probably the best told story of any videogame I know. Gameplay and story flow together perfectly. Like Mario, simply running about and "playing" with your character is fun. The time mechanic makes experimentation never a real punishment.
Sadly, Warrior Withen sucked, destroying all sense of story and atmosphere completely.
Fortunately, the 3rd game in the series made up for it, and gave it an ending it deserved.

7. Metroid Corruption - Probably the best controlls of any videogame ever made. Maximum immersion, short of having steroscopicaly head tracked 3D, its hard to picture a game feeling more real then this. Accurate and intuitive you feel like your samus.
Hugely atmospheric and artistic environment designs together with a decentish length and a fair amount of bonus material makes it one of the best Wii games by a large margin. Like other metroid games, its never directly tries to be any specific genra, allthough this is closer to a normal FPS then the other games in the series.

8. Like LBA. Like Zelda. Like BG&E :P nuff said.

9. Eternal Darkness - Another under-the-rader title. Best horror game I have played. Single-handedly doing more for the genra that AitD started then any other game.
While much praised is put on its brillent sanity system, the real joy lies in the well structured story, and great magic spell system.
The game also isnt scared to break its own rules for dramatic effect....more games should have that courage.

10. Okami I'm still playing this game, but its safe to say Okami will be in my top ten. It borrows hugely from Zelda...to the extent that some puzzles and areas seem rip-offs. But its hard to critise when it also does so many original things too, as well as being the most gobsmacking beutifall game ever made.

Okami, a PS2 game (ported to the Wii), still beats the crap out of any 360 and PS3 game visually.
Its a real showcase of how art can trumph over tech.
Fortunately, its not just style, its got a heck of a lot of substance to the game too.
Old 2009-01-11, 19:28
(formerly) lots of numbers

Send a message via MSN to LukeNoNumbers
1. Little Big Adventure - No surprises there!

2. Discworld - Discworld was the first proper game I played. Despite being a fan of the books I took a very long time to figure out a lot of the puzzles, but I was so in awe of the game (even now it's heavily pixellated) that it didn't matter. The humour is great - part Pratchett, part Python. The voices were a tremendous help, with Eric Idle as Rincewind, joined by Jon Pertwee (who gets to show his full range here, even voicing a few female characters), Tony Robinson and Kate Robbins, all on top form. Highlights are the conversation with Windle Poons, the lovestruck Nanny Ogg and the numerous encounters with Death. There were only two more Discworld games, but they were both excellent too.

3. Rayman - Sheer Genius. I come back to this one every year. It's proof that a game doesn't have to be 3D to be immensely enjoyable. Rayman knows it's 2D and makes the most of it. Graphically it's still immensely appealing - the decision for all the characters basically to consist of floating body parts is genius. The music and sound effects add to the atmosphere and humour, and I just love the surrealism of it all. This was one of the first platformers I played, so I had a lot of trouble with it, eventually completing it. The sheer creativity of this game just amazes me every time I play it - what substance could allow someone to conceive of the idea for a boss like Space Mama?

4. LeChuck's Revenge - The whole Monkey Island series is wonderful - though I could have done without Monkey Combat in the fourth one - but this one stands out as the Empire Strikes Back of the series. This is really what establishes LeChuck, here in zombie form, as one of the best villains in video game history. I love this one because it's so macabre and twisted - even the scenery is slightly crooked. The cast of characters is utterly grotesque, particularly morbidly obese Governor Phatt. I'm still humming all the tunes, too.

5. Spyro the Dragon - I love Spyro 1-3, but picked the first in the series, which, though without the larger variety of challenges in the other two, probably has the best environments and the best enemies. There's a great atmosphere in this one, with its bizarre subterranean caverns and enormous castles in the sky, and there's a variety of secret passages in every environment. The enemies were a lot of fun - orc-like Gnorcs, evil wizards, killer frogs, tribesmen, and malicious little puttos. There were lots of little touches that really added character - sometimes they were fighting amongst themselves before Spyro came along; there were also some funny little chaps who moon you when you corner them. Spyro's a fun character to control, too, with various different powers and abilities.

6. Age of Mythology - My favourite strategy game. I was already a fan of ancient mythology, so it was a lot of fun controlling armies of giants, sphinxes, cyclopes or gorgons.

7. Gex: Enter the Gecko - Another great PS1 platformer. The version I played had Carry On's Leslie Philips providing the voice of Gex the Gecko, which adds a little more double entendre whenever Gex mentions his tail. The levels, which parodied different entertainment genres, were enormous and largely non-linear. Highlights are the Star Wars parodies and the many haunted house levels.

8. A different sort of game. A full playthrough is up on Youtube, so I'll let it speak for itself. The Beethoven level (05:04 on the video) is simply wonderful.

9. Kingdom Hearts - A good game in the spirit of Final Fantasy. The Disney levels are the highlights here and, for the most part, are very faithfully rendered. Though Disney is really the main show, there are occasional cameos from some of the more swishy FF characters, who generally spend most of their time angsting about with swords so long they've got to be compensating for something. There is a Kingdom Hearts 2, but I'm afraid to say I found it rather boring and abandoned it halfway through.

10. The Sims - I really hate this one now for taking up so much of my time. But it really was excellently designed, and is one of those games that is what you make of it, rather than dependent on the game designer.
Old 2009-01-11, 21:19
New efforts! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing
Warrior Within....
Yeah, warrior within, I haven't played sands of time until yesterday or haven't completed the two thrones, I can't say I like a game without playing it first, so until now, it's warrior within (although now I'm liking more sands of time)

Take a look at the blog!

LBA:LID Demo v1.0 HERE
Report bugs here! Thanks Alexfont!
----------------------------------------
Take a look at Vindish's mod!
Old 2009-01-12, 00:28
Magic Ball Master

01. Civilization 4 (PC)
Pretty much the most addictive strategy game series going. This is like gaming crack. Just... one... more... turn... Christ, the sun is rising.

02. Championship Manager 01/02 (PC)
In 2001 before the game turned into 'Football Manager', SI Games perfected the football management sim. It's not as realistic as the ones that followed, but it's quicker and a hell of a lot more fun to play. Just.. one... more... game...

03. Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
In 1989, Nintendo perfected the 2D platformer. There has yet to be a better game released under the 'Mario' title.

04. Bubble Bobble (ARC)
Absolute brilliance, whether played alone of with a partner. The aim is to make it through 100 levels by killing all the enemies in each level. Simple, addictive, and remarkably challenging.

05. Portal (PC)
Hands down, the best writing in any video game, ever. At times, it almost feels like watching a great movie. It's hard to think of many games that are perfect within the boundaries it sets for itself.

06. Rez (DC)
07. Pokemon Red/Blue (GB)
08. Braid (X360)
09. Suikoden II (PSX)
10. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysey (PSX)

Can't be bothered to write more. I guess LBA would hover somewhere around 11-15 for me.
Old 2009-01-12, 02:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeNoNumbers View Post
1. Little Big Adventure - No surprises there!

2. Discworld - Discworld was the first proper game I played. Despite being a fan of the books I took a very long time to figure out a lot of the puzzles, but I was so in awe of the game (even now it's heavily pixellated) that it didn't matter. The humour is great - part Pratchett, part Python. The voices were a tremendous help, with Eric Idle as Rincewind, joined by Jon Pertwee (who gets to show his full range here, even voicing a few female characters), Tony Robinson and Kate Robbins, all on top form. Highlights are the conversation with Windle Poons, the lovestruck Nanny Ogg and the numerous encounters with Death. There were only two more Discworld games, but they were both excellent too.
I still want to play the two sequals. Eric Idle's acting is nothing short of amazing and gave Rincewind's character the perfect voice. The dialogue is top notch in the first and I'd say that it's even better than in "Color of Magic" (the first book in the series). My favorite joke in the first game is the "cracker" you feed to the parrot at the edge of the world.
Old 2009-01-12, 02:58
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Color of Magic was Sir Terry Prachetts weakest book, imho, mind.
The game's dialogue is indeed better.

Reminds me I STILL havnt completed Discworld Noir...save games keep getting lost or missplaced.

Too bad thats no new Discworlds games (well, aside from a shitty mobil phone one, but lets ignore that).

Tags
games, videogames