Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2009-06-18, 10:54
weee

Yeah I agree with that.
Old 2009-06-18, 12:27
Do the evolution.

They showed one place guys. The original game was essentially hinting there is a wider world out there. A planet populated largely by humans doesn't really negate all that.
Old 2009-06-18, 12:31
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
No, it dosnt.
But I'm still concerned with the realistic style, and talk of the first game being "too complex'. Both point to a game smaller in scope.

Most of all though, I'm concerned because its ubisoft, who occasionaly fucks stuff up bigtime.
Old 2009-06-18, 13:08
Previously Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
Call me crazy but for me half of the appeal of the game stemmed from the cartoony sci-fi and the animal like characters. There is especially something appealing about the kids too, like the goat humanoids for example. It gives a drop of mystery. Like LBA.
I agree also.

I loved BG&E style, it created a simple and very pleasant atmosphere. The same kind of cartoon or comic style LBA had. This kind of graphic keep attractive even 10 years later.

It seems obvious that the creation of BG&E2 is driven by pure commercial ambitions and no real concerns for quality and innovation. This pattern is so often used for sequels (movies, video games, etc). You take a title that got good reviews before and use that as a selling point, and then you hire a lot of people to achieve a high technical level for the game (when I say technical I'm not just talking about the game engine, but all the techniques used by all the persons involved in the creation of the game).

This wouldn't be a problem if technical perfection was not the only factor considered when thinking about the game's quality. However, sadly, in most cases, any effort to promote genius over replication, global vision over specialized abilities, artistic view over pure technical skills, are damped immediately.

BG&E2 won't transcend that rule, they seem determined to sacrifice the game's soul to submit to the market's rules.
Old 2009-06-18, 17:14
Do the evolution.

Thing is, BG&E was a commercial disaster. So it's not really trying to ride on the publicity it created. Imho it shows a genuine "wanting" to create a sequel.

Darkflame, yeah, like the second of the PoP trilogy (I hated Dafucka/Dahaka). Or the Raving Rabbits. And yeah I'm also worried about it being dumbed down. But I wouldn't exactly call the style that realistic. I mean the vehicles are still pretty cartoony, but with textures. I also hate when games try to be too real, however this looks like a stylised "reality" which imho is a good way to go. On one hand it's believable, but on the other it tries to keep it's own style (you can clearly see that in the technology used).
Old 2009-06-18, 23:43

Send a message via ICQ to Lightwing
BGE was a commercial disaster because the marketing was jacked up. They showed trailers of the main character taking pictures of animals all the time. People would say, "ah, you're playing that Pokemon safari-kinda game, yes?"

Companies need to start understanding that marketing fucks up their products more than the product itself, at least half the bloody time.

I have no "proof" that BGE2 is going to be the equivalent of Dreamfall, but I have a feeling and a damn strong one.
Old 2009-06-19, 00:01
Do the evolution.

Lightwing, in this case it doesn't matter who fucked up what. The point remains that it was a commercial disaster, therefore the argument that #2 might just be trying to squeeze some more money out of the game is flawed.
Old 2009-06-19, 00:16

It's not an arguement, it's a statement of probable fact.

On another hand, games are always trying to sell the maximum amount. So in my opinion, it's how low you're going to go. And I want to add that if they made BGE2 that was essentially BGE1 with updated elements, it would sell ten times better if the Marketing team would take their head out of their asses.
Old 2009-06-19, 04:57
weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwing View Post
It's not an arguement, it's a statement of probable fact.
Huh?

Yes I can see what you mean about marketing being bad. It's not even just in the entertainment business. I find it surprising good marketing (of any product) is such a rare thing, seeing as all everyone seem to care about is money anyway.
Old 2009-06-19, 10:47
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, most of the time marketing for games tries to pigeon-hole games into convient spots, ends up making a game look completely different from what it is, and in the process disappoints genuine fans of the game with its low sales, but also disappoints those that bought the game expecting something else.

Really, people should be switching to systems of recomendation and rankings (like my site :P) rather then relying on marketing anyway.
Its to do with degrees of trust isnt it?

Person Who Shares My Taste > Metacritic etc> Random Reviewer who I know is unbias > Random Reviewer > Press Release > Marketing :P

Thats the order I genuinely put them in anyway :P
Old 2009-06-19, 20:54
Master of Science & Magic

metacritic is way too high on that list
Old 2009-06-19, 21:43
Classic

Unless I know someone shares my taste, Id rather have the average of many, because at least that stands more chance of giving a neutral assessment which I can then adjust to my own bias. (+for adventure -for sport)
Ive ranted on this before, but I cant stand most magazines and websites just portray themselfs as a nameless authority giving a definitive rating.
Old 2009-06-19, 23:35
Master of Science & Magic

metacritic is not neutral, see for example: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/a-critical-eye_9
Old 2009-06-20, 11:46
Classic

Still less bias then any individual though, its the lesser evil.
Especialy when those individuals can have same sort of "scale" bias anyway.

The problem I guess comes if you have a game reviewed mostly by one group scaleing from (0-10) and another mostly from (7-10), in those case's the bias between will be a bit extream. But generaly you can look down what their sources are anyway.
Review scores are more like a filter anyway...something to help draw your attention to a handfull of potential things you might like out of the billions of games out there.
Old 2009-07-28, 00:29
Magic Ball Master

Ubisoft Unsure in BG&E2
Old 2009-07-28, 11:34
Classic

But umm...it was officialy announced. Not the latest leak, but the teaser trailer before.
Unveiled at E3 before last I think. Stupid ubisoft.
Old 2009-07-29, 17:28

This doesn't mean anything. If you ask anyone in a game development company they'll tell you the same thing. No one is ever certain if one thing or the other will get released.

A lot of games don't make it past the Alpha stage, and something like over half the games ever made never got released. It's typical business. Your project can be terminated at any time by the publisher.

Tags
games, videogames