Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2010-08-19, 16:38
the hobbits to Otringal

Dinofly laptop?

Okay, I need to go buy a laptop.

Focus: speed, graphics, sounds.
Not to big to leave the house.

Not for gaming but well: keep some workflow with heavy graphics and sound.

I don't know that much about hardware and almost nothing about laptops.

Anything I should be especially aware of or look for?

cheers

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2010-08-20, 02:49
Little Bastard Warrior.

You can not get both speed, graphics, weight and price in one combination.

Some people like to add that they like build quality and looks as well. This makes it even harder.

If price is a major issue, go for a Dell or HP. No matter what, stay away from Acer. They are very cheap but also of an extremely bad quality.

If you have the cash, then I can recommend the Vaio Z. It's very powerful, 13.1", high-res monitor (min. 1600*1000) and weighs less than 2 kg. But it is also very expensive.

If you want to go up in size but still want all else I mentioned, but for less of the price, there's the 14" HP Envy.

And finally, there's the 13" Macbook Pro. Cheaper than the Envy, but less powerful. It's arguably of a more durable construction and most people would say easier on the eye.

I personally spent a lot of time thinking about laptops recently and opted for the Macbook. No regrets there.

But anyway: Envy 14", Macbook Pro 13" or Vaio Z.
Old 2010-08-20, 10:51
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
I thought one property for mac was that they are always more expensive than all other brands? Is that incorrect?

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2010-08-20, 11:19
Boobs!

no.
a mate at tafe is getting a laptop which is $3000 more than my new mbp 17", but the specs are way lower.
i didn't catch the brand, but it's somehow connected to dell.. not sure though
Old 2010-08-20, 12:17
Little Bastard Warrior.

SebZ: I can't see how that can be true...?

But Macs aren't exactly more expensive, you just pay for built quality instead of higher specs.

That isn't to say that apple is the only company that makes premium computers, the other two I mentioned are plenty durable.
Old 2010-08-20, 13:08
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAWinOwns View Post
I thought one property for mac was that they are always more expensive than all other brands? Is that incorrect?
Spec for spec, yes, very much Apple is more expensive then 90% of other brands.
Sony can come close though.

Quote:
But Macs aren't exactly more expensive, you just pay for built quality instead of higher specs.
They have good build quality, but not enough to explain the price difference.
Its just a brand your paying for. Or maybe its the white paint
Old 2010-08-20, 14:17
Magic Level: Fire Ball

Buy Asus G73Jh with the 820qm core i7
Old 2010-08-20, 15:31
the legend

It is a curious thing this thread came up just now, as I'm getting my very first laptop this weekend!

It is a Sony Vaio F. My focus is for music production/graphic design, so it does need a 16" screen at the least, and it's pretty fast, reliable and well built (Sony grade quality materials, which is pure excellence), as far as I have researched. And not too expensive.

Ofcourse you should always have in mind that there are loads of factors that makes a laptop great, appart from the brand/model. You can add extra memory, for example. Also, it's no use to have a great machine if you do not maintain your OS clean and organized, defragmented HD, use softwares like Tune-Up Maintenance or System Mechanic once in a while, and overall take care of the machine so it runs smoothly. I think this is the most important. You can get a great performance from a cheap machine doing these things.

(I say this because I'm tired of seeing people with shitloads of money buying top equipment, who's an ignorant when it comes to the knowledge of computer maintenance, leaving the system bulky and uneffective, then complaining the computer sucks. >_< ).

Polaris: "And what is a guitar doing in the middle of an asteroïd anyway?"
sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.

Last edited by SpaceGuitarist; 2010-08-20 at 15:53.
Old 2010-08-20, 16:28
Magic Ball Master

Please do not buy Dell (laptops). Everyone I know who has one can't wait to get rid of them. Their build quality is quite poor and they are riddled with problems.

I have had great luck with Toshiba. I own one myself, and use it one research trips (and I'm typing on it right now). Very portable-friendly. I've recommended them to my friends.
Old 2010-08-20, 16:34
Boobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberg-Ares View Post
SebZ: I can't see how that can be true...?
I was skeptical at first as well! Then he brought his receipt in and showed me the price. Next week we're running geekbench, 3dmark and a few other tests on both my mbp and his laptop.

I can tell you right now mine's an i7 and his is a C2D (which he is dumb enough to think that the C2D is better than the i7 ) and he has the 240M GT where as I have the 350M GT.
And 8gb (MBP) vs 2gb (his) ram.

There's something very wrong with him and we all know there is.
Old 2010-08-20, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGuitarKid View Post
It is a curious thing this thread came up just now, as I'm getting my very first laptop this weekend!

It is a Sony Vaio F. My focus is for music production/graphic design, so it does need a 16" screen at the least, and it's pretty fast, reliable and well built (Sony grade quality materials, which is pure excellence), as far as I have researched. And not too expensive.

Ofcourse you should always have in mind that there are loads of factors that makes a laptop great, appart from the brand/model. You can add extra memory, for example. Also, it's no use to have a great machine if you do not maintain your OS clean and organized, defragmented HD, use softwares like Tune-Up Maintenance or System Mechanic once in a while, and overall take care of the machine so it runs smoothly. I think this is the most important. You can get a great performance from a cheap machine doing these things.

(I say this because I'm tired of seeing people with shitloads of money buying top equipment, who's an ignorant when it comes to the knowledge of computer maintenance, leaving the system bulky and uneffective, then complaining the computer sucks. >_< ).
hey i know how to fix my computers allrite i know stuff im not just a rich kid with no brains
Old 2010-08-20, 18:32
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebZ View Post
There's something very wrong with him and we all know there is.
Old 2010-08-20, 18:45
the hobbits to Otringal

Thanks for the replies all.

@ Cyberg
Weight would not be a big problem...more the size...I saw some laptops on display in some store and they where rather big. I dont have use for big since its not for gaming... and if I want a big screen like that I can always hook it up somewhere.

@SpaceGuitar
Funny this would be my first too...and I will be using it for alike things.

So yeah a Sony Vaio of some kind sounds good then. Apple would make me look like i fit in doing presentations lol.

Guess the machines today need not much customizing apart from some extra memory of kinds then.

Thanks and if anyone has more ideas (about laptops) luf to hear em still.

http://forum.magicball.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2558&dateline=1285864225
Old 2010-08-20, 20:15
Magic Ball Master

Again, I really like my Toshibas, and my experience with the company has been top notch across the board, with televisions and other devices as well.
Old 2010-08-22, 20:51
the legend

Got my Vaio F yesterday. It is with great excitement that I say that I am VERY happy with it.

By the way, a Toshiba would've been my second option, and I'm sure it is great too (and maybe less expensive?).

sgk: Think of it this way: it's like a message in a bottle. In our world, we put a message inside a bottle to protect it while it travels through the oceans to reach some other island. In other worlds, they put a message inside an asteroid to protect it while it travels through space to reach some other planet. In this case it is a gift, a guitar, rather than just a message.
Old 2010-08-23, 00:46
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazaka151 View Post
Buy Asus G73Jh with the 820qm core i7
This is not exactly what he want. For those kind of specs its better Tower PC.

Anyway, Asus is a good way to go.
For some years I use Asus, both laptop and Tower PC, and I really like them.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2010-08-23, 02:41
Magic Level: Red Ball

I really do recommend a Mac, not becouse of the look of it or build quality, but the OS is really top notch. Ever since I got mine I'm really annoyed everytime I'm trying to help fixing Windows problems on my parents/friends computer. And since its not games youre primarily gonna use it for, I dont see any drawbacks, and you can still run Windows natively on a separate partition if you need something special, or emulate it directly in OSX trough Parallels.
Old 2010-08-23, 03:16
the legend

I always thought it's a big hassle to put windows on a Mac.
I've searched on the net how to do that and it seems to be something troublesome and complicated.
And that's good, it made me resist my temptation to play games* at work.

I like Mac's functionality a lot, and it IS true it is much more stable; but for me it won't ever replace a true PC.

* No, flash-based online games won't do.

Old 2010-08-23, 03:38
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Don't forget Ubuntu. Run's great on low-end hardware, very stable and just as easy to learn to use as Windows or Mac.
Old 2010-08-23, 13:40

Mac is not that great, its like ehh, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg explains apple vs other products (i has used apple products)
Old 2010-08-23, 17:18
Magic Level: Red Ball

mazaka151:
haha, "it fucking prints money" But the video didn´t have much to do with the Mac, I know alot of people worship the Apple brand like its god or something, but Apple has both good and bad products, and OSX is really a wonderfull one, and by that I don´t mean the look of it.

Darkflame:
Yea, Ubuntu is also a good one, so if you´re gonna use Linux, its better to buy a PC as you get better hardware for your money. But also check if the software you´re gonna use supports it.

SpaceGuitarKid:
BootCamp Assistent will guide you trough the install process of windows.
Installing Windows on Mac is kinda like

1.Insert windows disc
2.Choose how big you want your windows partition
3.Press Install

Done

The hold Alt on startup to choose between Win and OSX Easy peasy