Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > General
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

General The general chatting goes on in here. That means talk about the LBA games and its world.

Old 2011-10-10, 00:26
Let's revive Twinsen !

Send a message via MSN to Vindish
Well, as a naturally french speaker, i can say, looking at this vid, that Fred is really really careful is his words. Remakes seems to be on the way for mobiles, but he speaks with a lot of reserves about a LBA3.
He says Didier and him would love to build it, but it's look like 2 guys talking about their game with nostalia and wanted to make it rebirth, but impossible without editors, staff, and time to do this.
In a sense, i can understand him, it's much interesting building his own games with an "artisanal" way of work than working in a huge production as in a "factory".
Old 2011-10-10, 01:37
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

Fred:

Why not remaking it with an engine like Unity3D? They have an almost automated releasing mechanism for PS3, iOS, Android, Mac OSX and Windows, using native libraries on each one. You could pick all 3D models from the original game and use improved textures; you wouldn't need to worry about physics or mesh collisions, just gameplay scripting. It even sorts shadows, reflections and effects, and allows to change on-the-fly quality graphics with its api calls. I have tried releases on a very old Windows PC and they run very smooth with good fps.
Old 2011-10-10, 10:14
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Unity... Oh don't start it. I've worked with it, and cried all the time.

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items
Words come in all sizes. But even if they fit you,
they might not come at appropriate times.

Good for everyone is finding yourself first,
and then the good in others second.
Old 2011-10-10, 11:49
Not really new

Hi,

You're asking the same questions we are asking to ourseleves. For a touch device port (let say iPad first) we need to make big choices because of the interface. (What will be redone graphically will be a matter of production size. not a real subject yet)
The discussion is right now about the main direction: action or adventure...
Old 2011-10-10, 12:04
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Action AND adventure

LBA, what else?

Threads: News, Introduction, Discussion, Bugs collection || Content: Characters, Enemies, Items

Old 2011-10-10, 13:02
I BELIEVE IN LBA3!

Here's inspiration for LBA 3 regarding production. Small team / budget + passion/talent = excellent XBLA/Steam game.
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/a-look...-bastion/3499/
Old 2011-10-10, 14:22
Magic Level: Red Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koypiout View Post
Here's inspiration for LBA 3 regarding production. Small team / budget + passion/talent = excellent XBLA/Steam game.
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/a-look...-bastion/3499/
I completely agree with you!
No need of big production and a big budget, for a good game !

Limbo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvRuu2rmZbI
Old 2011-10-10, 14:57
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Well, if we are listing great Indie games, Aquaria is fantastic;
http://www.bit-blot.com/aquaria/
(its like an underwater Zelda/Metroid hyrbed with fantastic music)
Old 2011-10-10, 17:56
~le photographer~

Send a message via MSN to MatheusMK3
Well, Notch started Minecraft only, and it turned into a success.. (btw, they still being an small team)

Web | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter
Old 2011-10-12, 04:48
Boobs!

If LBA and LBA2 were to eventually be re-released on the App Store for iPhones and iPads, I could show it off at work!

Unity would be a good engine to use, but you'd have to design a unique UI and UX for the behaviour, movement and action controls across 5 (possibly 7) different platforms.
iPhone and iPad distribution would be good because there'd be less fragmentation between devices (ie, iPhone 4s and iPad 2 having the A5 processor giving same quality graphics) compared to an Android device. That's one reason why Rovio decided to drop (afaik) Angry Birds support.
(Footnote: I could be wrong about them dropping it, but I read an article from one of the developers saying how difficult it was because of lots of different software versions and different hardware configurations (a Motorola Droid is not the same as an HTC Desire).
After making a good UX for the mobile platform, you then have to think about the PC and OS X users. The difference there is that mobiles use a touch environment, where as desktop users are still in the keyboard and mouse environment. Yes, there are a few computers out there (HP and Dell) that have a touch screen.. But who wants to keep their hands on the screen the whole time playing the game?
Then we get to the PS3 users. Not a touch or a keyboard and mouse environment, but a game pad.

Personally playing LBA on my old PS, I found the controls a little troublesome at first, then went out and bought the PC version because I kept hitting the wrong buttons.
Just last year I found the game again (still in my PS) and tried it again. I decided to push through and learn the controls properly. It was tough, but I got there.

In the end, it comes down to: who should it be marketed to, what market would be involved with it, what will the UX be like to merge across all the platforms you want to distribute on and what engine would give you all those benefits to tie it across.

Basically, I +1 the idea of Unity or a similar engine.
It'd be great to see LBA re-released on iOS, Mac and PC.
(iOS and Mac both share Core Audio, Core Video and Core Image, and both use OpenGL for it's graphics processing. With OpenGL also available on PC, it's a useful platform to design on. And let's face it, what OpenGL game as of late doesn't look good? It's very powerful)

Anyway, there's my rant, and my 5 cents. I'm now broke. Haha
Kudos to anyone who reads it.
Old 2011-10-12, 10:24
Magic Ball GrandMaster

Thanks SebZ,
Great analogy. But have you included EZ GUI for Unity? It's OS independant and a lot easier than the built in gui.

I've been using EZ GUI in Unity for a few weeks, and from my programmer's view, it's not as "EZ" as they claim, but for a designer, it probably will be the dream.
My summary for EZ GUI:
It is solely based on GameObjects, with the use of scripts. EZ GUI itself includes scripts for all kinds of controls, with a hell of a lot of customization, and the only thing you need to do is apply the script to a prefab or GameObject, set the settings through the Unity Editor (no programming required), and add the object to the scene view or another object (I suggest the camera). You even have the option in there to set which kind of input you're expecting, eg. touch, mouse, ray, etc.

Nevertheless, I really couldn't get used to Unity in general, because as a programmer, I'm used to work with code, not with an editor.

Last edited by J McKalling; 2011-10-12 at 10:33.
Old 2011-10-12, 10:46
Boobs!

I admit, it looks good, but when it comes to a game framework and something as iconic as the behaviour menu (the original has to stay) I don't think that EZ GUI solves the trick of "How do we make it the same system, yet completely different at the same time?"

My point is, on Windows and Mac, you press the control key to bring up the behaviour menu. How would you do that on a PS3 or an iPhone/iPad?
You could design it so it's the select button on the PS3, but it'd get a little troublesome and quickly get tiring having to move your left thumb in so far to press the select button (I change from athletic to aggressive to normal a lot during the games). With iOS what would you have? An image of the behaviour at the top right hand corner, and when you tap on it the menu with all the different behaviour modes lined out? But how would the user know that's what it did in the first place.

It's these sorts of questions that have to be asked when developing for multiple platforms. Not "Oh, this library and engine supports so-and-so and so-and-so let's do it for all of them", it's "This library and engine supports so-and-so and so-and-so.. We can get the UX to work the same across these platforms"

If anyone got what I said just then, good on you, cos I don't. Haha

But my answer for Fred:
It's a tough question.. Because LBA is both categories, when you try to limit it down to one or the other, certain elements have to be rethought or discarded. To me, LBA was adventure, but LBA2 was more action. If it could be both, I'd put my money on that, but for the wider audience that could get into it, the elements of the game say to me that it's more action then adventure (although it's a straight cut 50/50).
Old 2011-10-12, 12:29
Magic Level: Red Ball

I don't like the gameplay of iPhone, iPad. I prefer the analog touch. Especially for a game of adventure and FPS ! (For the mini games, iphone/Ipad is great.)
If Fred is making a good gameplay for LBA on iphone, I say congratulations, with fred all is possible ^^ !
Old 2011-10-12, 13:33
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebZ View Post
Basically, I +1 the idea of Unity or a similar engine.
It'd be great to see LBA re-released on iOS, Mac and PC.
(iOS and Mac both share Core Audio, Core Video and Core Image, and both use OpenGL for it's graphics processing. With OpenGL also available on PC, it's a useful platform to design on. And let's face it, what OpenGL game as of late doesn't look good? It's very powerful)
Unity even exports to the games consoles too if you can get a devkit/lisence for them, and (assuming your assets are good for portables) Android devices for that mater, - its pretty darn flexible.

Also, theres good arguments that OpenGL is actualy better then Direct-X;
http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-...nd-not-DirectX
(from the people behind the Humble Bundle iniative)

The only negative really against Unity is you lose flexibility, and your relaying on someone elses engine ontop of your own.

Oh, and it doesnt support Linux Which is a shame given everything else is.

Quote:
You could design it so it's the select button on the PS3,
Why select? Hold down a trigger button and use up/down would be better surely?

Select is like, the most useless button on modern controllers accross all the platforms :P Nintendo actualy dumped it of the Wii's one. (allthough the +/- are similiar akward position so normaly reserved for a map or something)
Old 2011-10-12, 13:40
Boobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
The only negative really against Unity is you lose flexibility, and your relaying on someone elses engine ontop of your own.
Hence why making a custom engine is good, but if you're in a time constraint or have really really deep pockets, that it's something to look at.

Quote:
Oh, and it doesnt support Linux Which is a shame given everything else is.
Another win for custom engine and using OpenGL seeing as it's supported across iOS, Mac, Windows and Linux. Not sure of it's implementation on Android devices, xbox 360 and PS3 :/

Quote:
Why select? Hold down a trigger button and use up/down would be better surely?
That was an afterthought. Haha. But there was a game where select was one of the major buttons that let you do custom functions and such. Thinking about it in more depth, the R1 button would be the button to chose and left/right to swap between behaviors

Quote:
Select is like, the most useless button on modern controllers accross all the platforms :P Nintendo actualy dumped it of the Wii's one. (allthough the +/- are similiar akward position so normaly reserved for a map or something)
And I noticed that on my ex-gf's Wii. Haha.
Old 2011-10-12, 16:28
Classic

Even on the 3DS (which has a select), it was a massive shock when I had to use it. I was playing a old NES game that I got for free, and was stuck at the titles for ages before I realized I had to use the select button :P
---
Quote:
Another win for custom engine and using OpenGL seeing as it's supported across iOS, Mac, Windows and Linux. Not sure of it's implementation on Android devices, xbox 360 and PS3 :/
I believe both the Android (and iPhone) support OpenGLES, which is a cutdown version. I think webbrowsers are starting to use a varient of that with WebGL too.

For my Android 3D work I use this incidently;
http://www.jpct.net/
Which is a pretty nice balance between speed and easyness of coding.
Old 2011-10-26, 01:05
Magic Ball Master

This month I'm late for everything.

Wow, amazing haircut and great interview. This means we will have an HD version of LBA?

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2011-10-26, 14:10
~le photographer~

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
This month I'm late for everything.

Wow, amazing haircut and great interview. This means we will have an HD version of LBA?
Well, I think the re-release was made HD, no?

Old 2011-10-26, 14:39
Lemonhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatheusMK3 View Post
Well, I think the re-release was made HD, no?
No, the GOG release is identical to the 90's CDs except for the addition of DOSbox
The creatures arranged in a line and started to rape Twinsen in his anus, one by one.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras maxim View Post
P.S. Forgot to mention that Twinsen's remains were fed to dogs.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras maxim View Post
O.K., let's change the execution part. Maybe he was just beaten to death with clubs???
Old 2011-10-26, 21:44
~le photographer~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jast View Post
No, the GOG release is identical to the 90's CDs except for the addition of DOSbox
So well, I can't use my 1920x1080 screen to play it yet?

Old 2011-10-26, 22:03
Magic Ball Master

You can, but the game will stretch like in fullscreen.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.

Old 2011-10-27, 15:39
Polly parrot

My screen is a 16:9 screen, but the game runs fullscreen in a 4:3 ratio.
Old 2011-10-27, 20:39
Magic Ball Master

Probably something with DosBox configuration

Old 2011-10-27, 20:59
~le photographer~

I just wished they had this option to us, an Widescreen mode... (Well, if they don't do that, someone will find a way to edit the binary anyways :P)

Old 2011-10-27, 22:48
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfont View Post
Probably something with DosBox configuration
Nope, it does that in every game if I choose a 4:3 resolution.