Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > Off topic
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Off topic General off-topic chat goes in here.

Old 2013-05-28, 13:15
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I was talking about LoL
Then No aswell =)
I play on the Brazilian server, although I can play on the USA server if I wish to do so as I have an account there
Old 2013-05-29, 00:19
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

Send a message via MSN to Streg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
@Streggy: here's the download link for 5 Days a Stranger.

And here's the download link for 7 Days a Skeptic.

Just an FYI though. Anyone who downloads it. You have to change your display settings on your monitor to 16bit. The game won't work in 32 or 64.
Thanks girl, I donwloaded the games, but I have no idea when I'll get some time to try those. but when I do, I'll let you know =D
Old 2013-05-30, 09:06
<3 MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreGGy View Post
Thanks girl, I donwloaded the games, but I have no idea when I'll get some time to try those. but when I do, I'll let you know =D
No problem Streggy
Old 2013-05-30, 18:15
Hello

I remember playing those games a few years ago, I really enjoyed the storyline.

I played Trilby: The Art Of Theft after that, which is a game with the same main character, but completely different mechanics.

Either way, probably one of my favourite freeware games. Kinda like a 2D Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  cout<<"Regards,\nDino-Fly\n";
 cin.get();
}
Old 2013-12-15, 11:59
Polly parrot

Sequel to Chrono Trigger, this game was released for the PS1 in 2000 and not exactly by the same team I believe.
The game is therefore very different. It's not at all like a Chrono Trigger 2, rather like a different game happening in the same universe. It's actually a good idea, developpers can get more original while it still happens in a familiar place, instead of just refurbishing the older with very few changes (looking at you, Portal 2).

The game is a JRPG, taking further all the good and bad aspects of JRPGs.
JRPGs tend to create a nice universe, very different from what we know, then entitles you with a "save the world" mission, which is always the same, same combat system against a big monster.

Chrono Cross creates a world that is just fantastic, every place having a different atmosphere, all of them being extremely beautiful.

How gorgeous is that ??

The whole being supported by what changed my opinion about videogame music, yes, they can be stand-alone pieces ! (I should re-listen to Mr. Vachey's tracks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1NM9_DbRIQ

And here goes the beginning, you start to live your life as an old kid/young adult from a local fisher village who for various reasons (read : a girl) tries to infiltrate the house of a local noble to steal his treasures.

And it could have gone on like that and be perfect. But no, developpers want big things to happen to the player, so grab your weapons, go save the world. And parallel dimensions while you're at it. Or not. The story is overly complicated.

Still, the story writers were professional, if you played Chrono Trigger, you won't be disappointed by the amount of symbolism and thinking material the game has to offer, it got me thinking about how travel between parallel dimension could lead to paradoxes similar yet completely different than time travel ones, and how the meteorite that killed the dinosaures is a fantastic metaphore of the human race.

Dungeoning here is easier than in most JRPGS, you have the ability of healing yourself at the end of each fight more or less for free, so it's not a hard game, but I never played JRPGs for the joys of fighting anyway.

I was disappointed by the ending, I hoped it would show scenes of life back to normal, but the writers sticked to their "out-of-ordinary" story till the end
Heck, I couldn't even get the good ending on my first play, and you can't load the save file of a game you've finished ! I had to watch it on youtube ! I DON'T LIKE THAT ENDING !!!!
But then I started the game again, and collecting dragon scales near the beach of the hero's home village reminded me why I liked this game so much.

I say : play the first half of the game for pleasure, play the second half for the thinking material, play the last dugeon if you're hooked and really want to finish it, but it's not really worth in my opinion.

edit : I forgot, about 45 playable characters... While that sounds nice, it's actually too much, about 4 or 5 characters are developped, all the other say one line of text about them, then nothing... That makes most of them puppets, instead of real characters.

Last edited by Polaris; 2013-12-15 at 18:02.
Old 2013-12-15, 14:21
Party animal

Send a message via ICQ to Reek Send a message via MSN to Reek
I think CC is a pretty amazing game.
It has its flaws, and I suppose it's missing that something extra a game needs to be truly called a masterpiece, but it's still a great experience.
Old 2013-12-15, 16:15
<3 MP

I guess the next game I WANT to play I'm kind of debating whether I should actually do so or not.

Final Fantasy XII. I've wasted approximately 150 hours of my life playing it already throughout the years and never beat it due to restarting multiple times because I can never remember what I was doing in it heh heh. So I'm not entirely sure whether should bother with it again or not.

So I'm only adding it to the list here because I might start it up again today.
Old 2013-12-15, 18:21
weee

I started playing Contrast. A worthy game among all the crap ones! Original idea, unique atmosphere, great learning curve and good (and unique) gameplay. The story so far is pretty good too. The atmosphere is somewhat depressing, but it's also fascinating. Anyway that doesn't stop it from being a great game.
Old 2013-12-15, 23:47
Polly parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Final Fantasy XII. I've wasted approximately 150 hours of my life playing it already throughout the years and never beat it due to restarting multiple times because I can never remember what I was doing in it heh heh. So I'm not entirely sure whether should bother with it again or not.
I know that feeling, I started Chrono Cross about four years ago, I finished it only last week
Old 2013-12-16, 01:36
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosFish View Post
I started playing Contrast. A worthy game among all the crap ones! Original idea, unique atmosphere, great learning curve and good (and unique) gameplay. The story so far is pretty good too. The atmosphere is somewhat depressing, but it's also fascinating. Anyway that doesn't stop it from being a great game.
Looks great, although there has been sort of similar;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6jEsiG3hUI
The gameplay there wasn't switching from 2d/3d so much, as manipulating the (3d) light source to effect your shadow world.

And in the latest Zelda you can switch from a 3D overhead-ish view, to a 2D mural on a wall;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAluniNRibs#t=29
Which while not a shadow is perhaps closer in gameplay concept.
Old 2013-12-16, 02:01
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

contrast looks very neat. Nice find Chaosfish.
Old 2013-12-16, 11:50
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

I've got a cold last weekend, so I was sitting alone at home and played Majora's Mask (which I never beat). Fun fact - Zelda franchise is almost completely unknown in Russia... and it sucks.
I thinking about buying Nintendo 3ds - mostly because of Link Between Worlds and OOT 3d.

Last edited by Morte; 2013-12-16 at 12:00.
Old 2013-12-16, 17:15
Classic

Send a message via ICQ to Darkflame Send a message via AIM to Darkflame Send a message via MSN to Darkflame
Majora's Mask is excellent. Very underrated in the series.
Old 2013-12-16, 19:59
weee

Contrast was much shorter than I expected... but it was good while it lasted.
Old 2013-12-16, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post
Very underrated in the series.
Really? I did not know.
To me, it's much better than OOT, mostly because of strangeness and disturbing atmosphere.

Last edited by Morte; 2013-12-16 at 21:11.
Old 2013-12-16, 22:17
<3 MP

I think the disturbing atmosphere of MM is why its so underrated; because it so different than your typical Zelda games. Im thinking that a lot of fans didnt particularly like the direction that they went with the game.
MM was, in my opinion, one of the more difficult Zelda games though. with all the side quests that you have to do to get the masks and having to go back in time constantly...
it definitely deserves a better reputation than it has though.

I think i like the wind waker the most personally (i think the soundtrack has a lot to do with that though). oh and i thought the Rito Tribe that was introduced were totally badass lol
Old 2013-12-17, 01:18
Or Emi (was StreGGy)

sometimes fans can be the worst haters ever
Old 2013-12-17, 01:21
Classic

I think when it first game out people were put off by the 3day timeloop aspect. But once you get past that, it really all fits.
The atmosphere is awesome, its dark in the proper sense, and the ending has some emotional punch. Great gameplay gimmicks too.

It obviously wasn't as revolution as OoT, basically the same engine, and landscape/item reuse a fair bit too. But everything else was improved.

Wind Waker ranks pretty low for me....except the music. Cant argue there. LOVE the soundtrack. This;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRv8gnBMiWM
Rocks.
(probably posted that 3 times now )

Quote:
Contrast was much shorter than I expected... but it was good while it lasted.
Nothing wrong with short
(as long as the price isnt silly for the length *looks at his old copy of Another Code for the DS*)
Old 2013-12-17, 01:25
Polly parrot

You could look at Proteus aswell
(10€ for about an hour the price went down to 7, I'd say it's still too much.)

The problem with that game is that it gives what it needs to give perfectly, but it doesn't have much, sadly.
Old 2013-12-17, 02:29
<3 MP

Quote:
I think when it first game out people were put off by the 3day timeloop aspect. But once you get past that, it really all fits.
The atmosphere is awesome, its dark in the proper sense, and the ending has some emotional punch. Great gameplay gimmicks too.

It obviously wasn't as revolution as OoT, basically the same engine, and landscape/item reuse a fair bit too. But everything else was improved.

Wind Waker ranks pretty low for me....except the music. Cant argue there. LOVE the soundtrack. This;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRv8gnBMiWM
Rocks.
(probably posted that 3 times now )

Nothing wrong with short
(as long as the price isnt silly for the length *looks at his old copy of Another Code for the DS*)
that video was sweet
Old 2013-12-17, 08:57
weee

That video is so cool! What a cool idea, a one man orchestra.
Old 2013-12-17, 15:57
Idyllic + whimsical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
You could look at Proteus aswell
(10€ for about an hour the price went down to 7, I'd say it's still too much.)

The problem with that game is that it gives what it needs to give perfectly, but it doesn't have much, sadly.
Thirty Flights of Loving took me 30 minutes to complete, and its current price is $5. I got it in a humble bundle though, so I guess that's ok. Also it's quite nice while it lasts.

Still it's a bit ridiculous when there's Terraria, for example, which gave me almost 80 hours of gameplay (and I didn't even play the new version yet) for $2.50.
"Ignorance IS NOT bliss! How is your credit card history?" (Banner)
"I find bliss in Ignorance" (Linkin Park - One Step Closer)
Old 2013-12-17, 17:30
Classic

Another Code on the DS pissed me of in much the same way. I loved it....then it suddenly ended. Barely 5 hours or so for a full price console game....terrible value.
Old 2013-12-17, 20:44

Quote:
Actually, I never understood why some people bitching about groundhog-day-like gameplay that much. I think, it's very clever (besides being very original) in terms of setting and atmosphere, and here's why.
When I first get into Clock Town as Deku Scrub, I couldn't figure out what am I supposed to do for a long time - and of course I've met a terrible fate. But the way the whole game atmosphere turned from colorful and happy to creepy and disturbing pre-apocalyptic feeling is just amazing - and none of this would have been if you had unlimited time to spare.
Actually, this reminded me great under-gas elevator scene from LBA 2. I mean, the game began as fun adventure, but then everything went wrong and now everyone wants to kill you - even the sky is red and full of monsters.

Last edited by Morte; 2013-12-18 at 05:38.
Old 2013-12-18, 01:50
<3 MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morte View Post
Actually, I never understood why some people bitching about droundhog-day-like gameplay that much. I think, it's very clever (besides being very original) in terms of setting and atmosphere, and here's why.
When I first get into Clock Town as Deku Scrub, I couldn't figure out what am I supposed to do for a long time - and of course I've met a terrible fate. But the way the whole game atmosphere turned from colorful and happy to creepy and disturbing pre-apocalyptic feeling is just amazing - and none of this would have been if you had unlimited time to spare.
Actually, this reminded me great under-gas elevator scene from LBA 2. I mean, the game began as fun adventure, but then everything was gone wrong and now everyone wants to kill you - even the sky is red and full of monsters.

I meant to draw that scene... man, I'm such an unmotivated lazy M-Fer

Tags
games, videogames