Go Back   the Magicball Network > Forums > MBN Main Forums > First aid
Buy LBA1/Relentless from GOG.com Buy LBA1/Relentless from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from DotEmu Buy LBA2/Twinsen's Odyssey from GOG.com Buy Little big Adventure from GOG.com or DotEmu Buy Little big Adventure 2 from DotEmu or GOG.com

Welcome to the Magicball Network.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First aid The forum for getting help to run or complete the LBA games. Note: could contain spoilers.

Old 2008-07-24, 09:55
Twinsunian Quetch

Send a message via MSN to Quetch Send a message via Yahoo to Quetch
LBA2 - Linux guide

ok because the majority of people seem to have problems running or even installing LBA2 on their computers (which use WinXP or Vista), our community thought of helping them by making nice and useful guides for running the game under DosBox or other different methods ... but now I see people have problems even with those. I mean at start DosBox was good but now people either can't manage to set it up properly or the game just experiences itself badly. So I thought to myself: why not use Linux ??? People, if you ever want 100% complete stability with LBA2, install some great Linux distro (I reccomend Ubuntu), install the latest Wine, configure it in the control panel and give LBA2 a try !!! U'll see what I mean
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles

Last edited by Quetch; 2008-07-24 at 14:44.
Old 2008-07-24, 10:12
Boobs!

Been there, done that...
(Though I should update my guide for LBA2 with the latest releases and such... Oh well)

You just have to beware there. I was able to get AOM to work but it then failed miserably.
The fonts didn't appear, then I lost a few men (literally! They were still alive, just couldn't see them. That was funny) and a whole mass of things happened.

I'm waiting to Microsoft to go down the hole so the market for Linux and Mac to rise so then there will be more games available.

Last edited by SebZ; 2008-07-24 at 10:21.
Old 2008-07-24, 10:37
Twinsunian Quetch

well LBA2 works flawlessly
"Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well, yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless." --- Paul Bowles
Old 2008-07-24, 11:28
Magic Ball Master

Send a message via MSN to LBAWinOwns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetch View Post
ok because the majority of people seem to have problems running or even installing LBA2 on their computers (which use WinXP or Vista), our community thought of helping them by making nice and useful guides for running the game under DosBox or other different methods ... but now I see people have problems even with those. I mean at start DosBox was good but now people either can't manage to set it up properly or the game just experiences itself badly. So I thought to myself: why now use Linux ??? People, if you ever want 100% complete stability with LBA2, install some great Linux distro (I reccomend Ubuntu), install the latest Wine, configure it in the control panel and give LBA2 a try !!! U'll see what I mean
Please read your posts before posting.

Apart from your horrible posting style that post doesn't make any sense. It's impossible to understand what you really want.

Dan2552 - And I don't understand in what sense that guide is helpful; for example the winecfg CD-drive mounting is setup by default.

LBA Image Creator project
(image by leoboe! )

Get the Jump-Save-Bug graphically explained here
Old 2008-07-24, 11:49
You what?!

Dan didn't post yet, I think you're confused with Seb.
And presumably Quetch means "not" instead of "now".
Old 2008-07-24, 11:56
Magic Ball Master

Yes, I'm sorry, I meant Sebz.

How Ironic I said 'reread your posts before posting' -.-

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-07-24, 12:01
You what?!

Heh, well Quetch should really learn to structure his posts better anyway.
Old 2008-07-24, 14:44
Twinsunian Quetch

well I meant "not" duh ... anyway I write as I speak and cause in speech there is no strict punctuation, I use "..." so often to mark those small pauses between ideas
Old 2008-07-24, 16:20
Magic Ball Master

That's the problem. Ideas shouldn't have "..." between them, but rather "

".
Old 2008-07-25, 00:07
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
I mean at start DosBox was good but now people either can't manage to set it up properly or the game just experiences itself badly.
What? Oh right! Most likely DosBox has during the past 3 years got slower and harder to use.

Quote:
install the latest Wine, configure it in the control panel and give LBA2 a try !!! U'll see what I mean
First of all 'install latest wine' is a horrible hint, why should one want to do that? Won't help, now will it? Especially for beginners shouldn't do that (which this thread seems to be directed to). And what did you think of when writing "configure it in the control panel" ?

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-07-25, 18:49
Twinsunian Quetch

1) DosBox did got slower and harder to use
2) why on earth should one stick to an old version of Wine since it gets better and better with every release ?
3) in the Control Panel, wine has some configuration options, especially the Sound which won't work unless u set it properly
Old 2008-07-25, 21:28
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
1) DosBox did got slower and harder to use
2) why on earth should one stick to an old version of Wine since it gets better and better with every release ?
What about: DosBox gets better with every release as well?
Old 2008-07-25, 21:50
Twinsunian Quetch

what about: DosBox runs Dos games only while Wine runs Windows games too also, LBA2 should not be played in DOS mode ... that's the last last last resort
Old 2008-07-26, 00:45
Magic Ball Master

Quote:
what about: DosBox runs Dos games only while Wine runs Windows games too also, LBA2 should not be played in DOS mode ... that's the last last last resort
How does that reply make sense to what Kobold said?

The reason you shouldn't download the latest wine because it won't be automatically maintained (no automatic updates), instead it will just ruin the coordination of you and your operating system, especially if you are inexperienced.

About the sound thing, I'm doubtful, but I remember something like that, you might be right.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2008-07-26, 01:00
Boobs!

Quetch: First, please use punctuation. It does get somewhat irritating.
Second: LBA2 was designed to be run in DOS and Windows - Your argument is invalid.

Kobold: Yes, I too believe that dosbox is getting better with each release. (I can run Windows 3.1!)

LBAWinOwns: First, He's saying if you're too dumb to install wine then go for dosbox (or at least that's how I interpreted it.)
Second, Wine does update - you just have to do it manually (Although, the other day when I booted up my Linux box, with it being inactive for a while, Ubuntu asked me if I wanted to update Wine to version 1.1.1)
Third, With the sound, if you've got a Realtek HDA chip in your machine then it uses ALSA, not OSS which Wine defaults to.
You'll also need to set the audio sampling frequency to 44.1KHz or above...
Old 2008-07-26, 01:24
Magic Ball Master

Upgraded to 1.1.1? Well, that seems bad since it is afaik a unstable release.

Using the standard repo version seems clearly best still in my opinion. You won't waste time and it works, what is so great about one update ahead? Taking account all the structural problems it causes to your installation. (And the time it takes of course)

About the sound, that seems odd. Still I don't really see how that can be a proper reply to me.

(image by leoboe! )

Old 2014-05-21, 13:53
Magic Level: Yellow Ball

None of the above

Ive installed LBA2 from my original CD via wine. Sound works. graphics work except i'm missing half the screen on the diagonal. top right to bottom left is all screwed up!
have found the bug reported on wineHQ forums here:

HTML Code:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32086
But I cant seem to find how to fix it. Im not a coder. Any/All help would be appreciated.
Old 2014-05-24, 11:21
Magic Ball Master

You better use DosBox instead of Wine. It for sure works better.

TwinEngine v0.2.1 win32 beta released - open source re-implementation of the LBA 1 original engine.
[Discuss]|[Download]|[Changes]|[SourceCode]|[Issues]

The Sacred Carrot website
Old 2014-05-28, 14:36
Boobs!

As xesf said, this post was originally back in 2008 and is no-longer relevant.
There's a very easy-to-follow guide on how to install it using DOSBox